Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Strange First Day at Hogwarts

Harry’s body changed completely, and he immediately collapsed to the floor. His left arm and right ankle were hanging from his body at strange angles, and bruises and welts covered his pale skin. Some of the bruises even seemed to be infected, and his breathing was laboured as if a broken rib was puncturing his lung.

Harry silently whimpered in pain. ‘What happened? What have they done to me? Why do I hurt so much?’ he thought, confused. He often had experienced pain when his uncle had come down on him, but his uncle wasn’t here, and the teachers didn’t look as if they wanted to hurt him.

“Oh my….” Poppy started, but immediately switched over into Healer’s mode and asked as calmly as she could, “Could you please put him on the nearest bed, Severus? I need to heal him as soon as possible.” He nodded silently, his eyes a mass of emotion. After feeding Harry a pain relieving potion and a dreamless sleep potion, the two of them silently worked together for about an hour, before they sat down in two chairs next to Harry’s bed. By this time, Harry’s breathing had evened out a little, and he was sleeping peacefully.

Severus couldn’t believe what he was witnessing. Harry Potter was supposed to be a pampered, little brat. However, this small boy had nothing in common with Severus’ image of the Boy Who Lived. He was startled that Harry wasn't what he'd imagined, and suddenly remembered that this helpless boy was Lily's son. ‘How DARE they do this to a child! How dare they do this to Lily's son,’ he thought, getting angry.

I owe it to Lily to do something to help her son,’ he promised himself, while he was sitting at his bedside next to Poppy Pomfrey.

“Minky,” Poppy called the house elf, which was responsible for the Hospital Wing. “Could you please tell Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore to come to the Hospital Wing immediately,” Poppy ordered her, before she sat back and tried to sort out her thoughts.

She couldn’t believe it. During the many years she had been working at Hogwarts, she had seen many abused children. However, the thought that Harry Potter, the saviour of the wizarding world, had been abused so badly, was indeed difficult to accept. The small figure in the bed next to her somehow reminded her of an eleven-year-old Severus Snape, who had come to her with severe injures every time he returned from home.

I shall prevent the Headmaster from sending Harry back to his relatives ever again,’ she vowed.

The two teachers arrived a few minutes later. “Did you find anything?” Albus asked, as Minerva threw a worried look at Harry.

“What is wrong with him, Poppy?”

Poppy sighed. She knew that Minerva loved the boy. She had loved Lily like a daughter, and as a little tyke of a year, Harry had called Minerva and Albus ‘Gwanny and Abu’. However, as much as it hurt, she had to tell them the truth.

“I believe he has been abused badly,” she stated and listed up all the injuries Severus and she had healed. Noticing the utterly shocked look on her friends’ faces, she added, “He will be all right in maybe a week – in a month, at the latest, provided that he will be able to walk. However, his lung is a little damaged, and his immune system is quite affected, because he must have had some of the injuries for months or even years.”

Ignoring Minerva’s gasp, Severus said, “It seems the logical conclusion that his uncle has abused him, but as he was in a great deal of pain upon having the glamours forcibly removed, Poppy had to sedate him immediately, thereby eliminating any opportunity to actually question him about his injuries. Therefore, it is only an assumption, but considering how old some of the bruises and injuries were, it can only have been his family who caused them. He did not know about glamour charms; so I suppose that he unconsciously put them around himself whenever he acquired a new injury. As he couldn’t heal himself, this was his way to get rid of the pain.”

Albus nodded pensively.

“Harry must be a very powerful wizard,” he stated then, to which Poppy and Severus nodded.

“Albus,” Poppy told him, “The charm was so strong that I could not reverse it on my own; Severus and I had to say the incantation together.”

Minerva gasped again, and noticing the tears in her eyes, Dumbledore pulled her into a fierce hug. Here, in front of their good friend and the man they considered to be a son, they didn’t have to hold any appearances up. Poppy and Severus were the only people alive who were allowed to see them like this.


Harry’s mind slowly drifted from unconsciousness to a half-awake state. He noticed immediately that his whole body was sore. What happened? He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn’t even wake up enough to open his eyes. Suddenly, as though from far away, a voice penetrated his thoughts.

“Good morning, Harry. Did you sleep well?”

Whose voice was it? It was so friendly, and it called him ‘Harry’. Nobody was ever so friendly to him – was he still asleep? His mind slowly turned into awareness, and he leisurely opened his eyes. Wondering where he was, he looked around and recognized the Hospital Wing and the nice lady from the night before – what was her name again? – and suddenly remembered himself being at Hogwarts.

“Good morning, Madam,” he mumbled and gave her a small smile that didn’t really reach his eyes; he was in too much pain.

This of course didn’t go unnoticed by Poppy’s trained eyes, and she handed him a phial. “Drink this, Harry. It’s a pain relieving potion, and you will feel better afterwards.”

Harry gulped down the potion and visibly relaxed. This time, he gave the Healer a real smile. “Thank you, Madam Pomfrey.” He had finally remembered her name. “I feel much better now.”

‘But why was I in pain to begin with’ he wondered. ‘I was fine when I arrived at Hogwarts. And then the Professor brought me here, and they told me something I didn’t understand. Then, suddenly, everything hurt,’ Harry recalled the events from the day before, frantically trying to understand.

At this instant, Professor Snape entered the room.

“Good morning, Mr. Potter. How do you feel?” Severus asked gently.

“Good morning, Professor. I’m fine,” Harry answered, blushing profoundly. Never before had anybody asked how he felt, and he just didn’t know how he was supposed to react to such a question. He anxiously watched his hands until Poppy spoke up again.

“No, Harry. You are definitely not ‘fine’. When we took the Glamour Charms off you yesterday evening, you collapsed. You had many broken bones and even a broken rib that was puncturing your lung. We have mended all your bones, but it is important that you move as little as possible during the next few days. Normally bones mend in a day, but several of your bones seemed to have been broken for years. Therefore, it might take some time. Your lung is probably permanently damaged, and we have to see how this will develop in the future. It is possible that you will get many colds and similar illnesses due to this problem, but we will have to see; you don’t have to worry about it now. Many of your bruises on your arms and legs are infected, and you are developing a fever; I don’t know yet if it comes from the bruises or your lung.”

Suddenly Harry felt as if he knew what had actually happened. The injuries Madam Pomfrey had spoken of had to be the ones he had gotten when his uncle had been angry about something. But how had he managed to suppress them all the time? ‘Strange,’ he thought when the professor’s voice pulled him out of his musings.

“Mr. Potter, please look at me,” Severus said, sitting down on the chair he had left next to Harry’s bed last night. From his own experiences in his childhood, he could very well imagine how Harry had to feel, but even if they could delay their talk, it was necessary for Harry to talk about what had happened. When Harry complied and looked at him, he continued to speak.

“We will have to talk about where you got these injuries, but it can wait until you really feel better. However, you have to promise me one thing.” Harry looked at the teacher questioningly. “You may not lie to me. Just like Madam Pomfrey, I only want to help you; but we will only be able to help you, if you tell us the truth.”

Harry proceeded to watch his hands again and said in a small voice, “Yes, Professors, I promise I will not lie to you.”

“Mr. Potter, please look at me when I am speaking to you,” Severus repeated patiently. “You do not necessarily have to talk to me. However, you have to choose at least one member of our staff to confide in. Just like me, Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore, and the other Heads of House all want to help you. Therefore, it is up to you to choose someone whom you are willing to speak to. Do you understand me?”

Harry nodded and mumbled, “I would like to talk to you, Professor Snape, but I don’t mind Madam Pomfrey listening as well.”

Both adults smiled encouragingly at the helpless child between them.

“Very well,” Severus said. “That is very good, because I will have to leave for my lessons now; however, Madam Pomfrey will be with you for the whole day.”

I have to leave as well; classes will start soon, and I cannot miss them on my first day here,’ Harry started to panic.

“Professor,” he interrupted Severus timidly, “please, may I go to my lessons as well?”

Poppy sat down on the edge of Harry’s bed and replied instead of Severus, “No, Harry, dear, you are ill and have to stay in bed.”

Severus took Harry’s hand in his own and added, “Harry, Madam Pomfrey can ask a house elf to get your books out of your dormitory, so that you can read your books if you feel well enough. However, I think it would be the best to sleep as much as you can while everyone else is in class. I will tell your classmates that you are here, and I am sure they will find a way to visit you in the afternoon or evening. I will be back after classes.”

With this, the professor released Harry’s hand, stood up and left the Hospital Wing.

“Now, Harry, let’s get you some breakfast,” Poppy suggested, but Harry declined.

“No, thank you, Madam Pomfrey, I am not hungry. I don’t need to eat so often.”

“You have to eat three times a day. How often have you eaten proper meals in the past?” Harry blushed again and tried to hide his shaking hands under the bed cover.

“A few times a week,” he replied truthfully, remembering his promise to the professors.

“Didn’t your relatives tell you that you had to eat more?” Poppy asked, feverishly trying to stay calm in front of the child.

“No, Madam. They always told me I was a freak, and freaks wouldn’t get meals,” Harry said in a very small voice, only for Poppy to hear.

She pulled Harry into a slight hug and told him, “No, Harry. First of all, you are not a freak; you are a very powerful wizard. And secondly, you have to eat three full meals every day. Moreover, until you reach an at least half-way acceptable weight, you will have to drink a nutrient potion together with each meal.”

Harry nodded solemnly. After he had eaten a few bites of his breakfast, Poppy fed Harry a few potions, and helped him to lie down again. A minute later Harry was fast asleep.


When he woke up, Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey were silently talking beside his bed. Harry immediately remembered the events of the morning and his disappointment of not being able to attend classes. As soon as the adults noticed that his eyes were open, cool hands touched his temples and helped him to put his glasses on.

“How are you, Harry?” Minerva asked, sitting down on the edge of his bed. Struggling to bring himself into a sitting position, Harry answered,

“I am fine, Professor.”

The teacher gave him a piercing glance, not believing a word, and stood to help him sit up.

“I have brought you your timetable, Harry. Normally, the students of a house have all classes together. However as you are in two houses, I have made a special timetable for you, so that you have all classes together with the Gryffindors on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and classes together with the Slytherins on Tuesday and Thursday. However, both houses have many classes together anyway, like for example Potions and Transfiguration. Try to work according to this timetable, and when you encounter any problems I might have missed, come and speak to me,” the teacher explained.

‘That’s a good idea. That way, I’ll be able to get to know my classmates of both Houses,’ Harry thought, pleased, before he voiced, “All right, Professor. Thank you very much.” Then he asked, “Do you know when I will be allowed to attend classes? I would like to start as soon as possible.”

“I am very sorry, Harry, but this decision is up to Madam Pomfrey. However, if you feel well enough, and Madam Pomfrey doesn’t object, you may read your books, and I have already asked Miss Granger, a very eager first year Gryffindor, to bring her notes to my office after dinner every day, so that I can copy her notes for you. Either she or I will bring you the notes every evening. I will come and visit you whenever I can, and Professor Snape will come as well, so if you have any questions about your books or Miss Granger’s notes, you are welcome to ask one of us.”

“Thank you very much, Professor,” Harry said sincerely, and Minerva excused herself as she had classes to teach.


Harry spent the afternoon reading the first two chapters in all of his books. Poppy had come a minute ago and told him to put his books away and rest. Harry had complied grudgingly and proceeded to think about the fact of his being sorted into two different houses. In the evening, the teachers had said that it had been the first time in Hogwarts’ history that a student had been sorted into two houses. ‘Why does this happen to me? Why am I different from anybody else? Was Uncle Vernon right? Am I a freak? Will they throw me out of Hogwarts if they realise that?’ he thought frantically.

Suddenly the door of the Wing opened, and Draco Malfoy came in. He went over to Harry, sat down, and said coolly,

“I heard you couldn’t decide between Slytherin and Gryffindor, so you preferred to stay in the Hospital Wing?”

Harry laughed, before his expression became serious.

“Draco,” he asked anxiously, “can you please tell me what I missed today? You know, I still don’t know anything; it is only four weeks ago that I learned that I am a wizard, and now I am missing my classes from the first day onwards.”

Noticing that Harry was starting to panic, Draco smiled at the smaller boy and said, “Don’t panic, Harry, it’s all right. I will help you to catch up, and you’re lucky because, since you’re in Slytherin, Severus will help you as well. The members of Slytherin are a huge family, and we won’t let down a fellow Slytherin. You have your books here, I see. Have you already started to read a bit?”

Harry nodded eagerly, glad to be able to speak about his studies. “Yes, I’ve read the first two chapters in every book; but there’s a lot I still don’t understand – especially in Potions. Plus, I didn’t know if I am allowed to practise spells in here, and I don’t know where my wand is anyway.”

Draco made a face as if he was wondering what had happened to the saviour of the wizarding world, who in fact he acts as if he was a Muggleborn. He frowned and promised he would ask Severus directly after dinner and come back later in the evening.

Harry threw Draco a grateful glance and leaned back into his cushions. He was glad that the boy who had seemed so arrogant at first had behaved so nicely towards him. As he was in two Houses, it would probably it would be best to have friends in both Houses. ‘Maybe I should not sleep in Gryffindor all the time but spend every second night in the Slytherin dormitory in order to get to know the Slytherin boys better,’ he mused and decided to speak with his two Heads of House about this matter.


A short while after dinner, Hermione joined Harry. “Hello, Harry,” she said, sitting down on the chair next to his bed. “I don’t know if you remember me, I am Hermione Granger.”

“Yes, I know. We met on the train yesterday, and you were sitting next to me at the Gryffindor table,” Harry replied anxiously.

“Yes, that’s right – and after dinner you vanished. What happened to you?” Hermione asked with a strange look on her face.

Harry couldn’t decide how to interpret this – Was it a worried look, a curious one, or even a reprimanding one? Anyway, he had to reply, but he didn’t want to reveal his secret to everyone except for the few professors who already knew about it. So he tried his best.

“I went to the Headmaster’s office, you know, because of being sorted in two houses, and then Professor Snape took me to the Slytherin house meeting, and after that I felt unwell and collapsed. I don’t really know what happened.”

“Did the Slytherins do something to you?” Hermione asked again, now with a shocked expression on her face, and Harry shook his head.

“No, they didn’t do anything. I must have been ill before and just didn’t notice. But I am fine now, and I hope I’ll be able to attend classes soon. The Slytherins were actually very nice,” Harry answered firmly.

Hermione handed Harry the copy of her notes, which Professor McGonagall had made for Harry, and they talked for at least an hour – about the chapters Harry read as well as about Hermione’s family – until Madam Pomfrey came and shooed Hermione out.

“Thank you for visiting me, Hermione. Will you come again tomorrow?” Harry asked hesitantly, before she left the room, and Hermione threw him a big smile and said,

“Yes, Harry, I will. Read through my notes and we can talk about them tomorrow. I am glad to have someone with whom I can talk about books or notes. Good night, Harry.”

Professor Snape came to visit Harry directly after curfew, and they talked for quite a while; however, the teacher avoided any personal questions – they mainly spoke about the Potions lesson Harry had missed and the questions he had after reading the chapter in the book and Hermione’s notes. When Madam Pomfrey came to check on him around midnight, Harry had the impression that he learned a lot during the evening and that he had understood the first Potions lesson very well.


The rest of the week passed in a similar way, and when Harry was finally allowed to join his classmates on Monday the next week into the term, he noticed quickly that he was not behind them at all – in fact, he had already read through all his books and was ahead of his classmates in most subjects, maybe with the exception of Hermione.

His condition was still not very good because of the problems with his lung; therefore, he had to go to the Hospital Wing every evening to let Madam Pomfrey check on him, because she feared that he could easily get pneumonia or asthma. As it only took five minutes every evening and only was a slight detour on his way between Gryffindor and Slytherin Harry didn’t mind very much.

Together with his two Heads of House, he had decided to spend Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night in Slytherin, when he had lessons together with this house on the next day, and to spend Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday night in Gryffindor.


On Thursday morning during Harry’s first week of classes, the first year Slytherin students had their first flying lesson – together with the Gryffindors. Harry was very anxious about it as he had never sat on a broom before and as he still did not feel very well. When they went to bed on Wednesday, Draco watched his roommate piercingly, before he sat on the edge of Harry’s bed and finally asked,

“Harry, what is wrong with you?” Noticing that Harry glanced at him with a shocked expression, he continued, “Harry, I can see that something is bothering you; better you tell me now…”

Harry sighed. Draco had so far been very understanding and had Harry helped a lot when he was finally allowed to attend classes. Therefore, he told the other about his anxiousness.

“Have you asked Pomfrey if you are allowed to fly at all?” Draco asked worriedly, and Harry shook his head.

“No, but she gave me so many instructions what to do and what not to do that I am sure she would have said something, if I wasn’t allowed to fly.”

“All right, Harry, let’s go and talk to Severus.”

“It’s already after curfew,” Harry protested weakly, but Draco put his robe over his pyjamas and held Harry’s robe out for him. They went over to Severus’ office, and Draco told his godfather about Harry’s worries. The professor remained pensive for a moment, before he turned to Harry.

“Harry,” he began, “I am not sure what causes your problem. If you are afraid of flying because you have never flown before, I have to tell you that your father was an excellent flyer – one of the best in my year, as much as I hate to admit it because we didn’t like each other very well. However, I am sure that you have nothing to fear concerning your flying abilities. If you are anxious, however, because you do not feel well enough, you do not have to fly tomorrow.” He threw his smallest student an inquiring glance. Harry sighed.

“I think it is both. I am sorry, Professor, for bothering you with such a stupid question.”

“No, Harry, you are not bothering me, and your problem is not stupid in the least. However, I suggest that we wait until tomorrow, and if you prefer not to fly, you can tell me your decision anytime.”

Later, when Harry was back in bed, he thought about what the professor had said about his father. On one hand, Harry was glad to know someone who had actually at least known his father, but on the other hand, the professor had said in the same sentence that he had disliked him. He would probably not be willing to tell him a lot about James. ‘Will he have known my mum as well? As far as Hagrid told me, they met here at Hogwarts. Maybe I can ask Severus some time,’ Harry mused and went to sleep with this comforting thought in his head.


In the morning, Harry was still anxious but decided to attend the flying lesson. At least the broom immediately came into his hand when he said ‘up’. Harry let out a relieved sigh and watched the others who were still trying to make their brooms oblige. Suddenly, just after they had been told to sit on their brooms, Neville Longbottom, one of his roommates of the Gryffindor dormitory, went up high into the air.

Everyone was watching Neville’s every move in the air worriedly, and suddenly, Neville, who had just been flying over the castle’s roof, started to tumble down. In an instant, Harry was in the air as well and was flying straight to the sport where Neville was still steadily falling downwards. From far away Harry could hear Hermione’s voice shouting,

“Harry, come back!”

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful beta Thegirllikeme :-)