Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Snake's Den

Severus noticed the flabbergasted look Harry gave him and threw a calm glance back. Then he addressed his uncle, who was patiently waiting next to him.

“When will the Dark Lord arrive?” he asked innocently.

“He should be here shortly,” his uncle answered firmly. “He always arrives a few minutes later.”

After a short time, which felt to Harry like an eternity, his scar began to hurt fiercely. Lord Voldemort finally arrived. The Death Eaters, who had been talking animatedly so far, fell to their knees until their Lord had taken his place on the throne. Then they finally stood up, put their robes into order, and returned straight to their places, where they proceeded to stand straight, facing their master.

Harry had used this commotion to walk up to the side of Voldemort, glad that nobody could hear him moving, as the crowd of Death Eaters was making much more noise. He had positioned him on a spot from where he could easily place the Portkey into Voldemort’s lap. His scar was burning, and he felt a liquid – probably blood – drip down his cheek. Trying to ignore the pain Harry waited for a moment, in which Voldemort was sitting on his throne, calmly talking to someone, in order not to attract any attention. Suddenly the opportunity came – and Harry used it.

He placed the Portkey onto Voldemort’s lap, pulled himself back, and thought the password to activate the Portkey. In a blink, Voldemort was gone. Harry didn’t even take the time to worry if Voldemort’s Portkey would really take him into the machine or if the Apparition Wards on the machine would be working properly. He summoned all magic he could summon at once and Obliviated all present Death Eaters completely about their Dark Lord, transformed into Breeze and flashed to Severus. His friend immediately grabbed his tail feathers and Harry flashed them to Hogwarts.

Arriving directly next to the machine, Harry transformed back and – completely ignoring his friends, who were gathered around the machine – jumped over to the green button, pressing it urgently. Not even noticing that the persistent pain in his scar was proof enough for Voldemort’s presence, he rushed to the other side of the machine, where a tiny window guaranteed a glance into the interior of the machine. ‘YES! There he is!’ Harry thought unbelievingly. Deep in thoughts and with both hands at his burning scar, he sat down onto the floor, taking in the quiet that came after the fading cries of agony that had come from the inside of the machine moments before.

Suddenly he felt a cold phial pressed against his lips. He looked up and saw his father standing in front of him.

“Here, Harry. It’s a Pepper-up Potion. Drink; it might help you to summon your magic. The machine will finish soon. Are you feeling all right, son?”

“Yes, everything is all right, thanks,” Harry replied, got up from the floor and gulped down the Potion.

Of course, Salazar had been right. After two minutes, the machine informed them that the current process was finished. Harry once more summoned as much magic as he could and wish-transfigured the remaining of the process into cow dung, which he Scourgified immediately. He kept watching the machine for two minutes, but nothing else happened, and the pain in his scar slowly decreased. Hesitantly, he threw a glance at his father, who was standing next to him.

“Dad? Is he gone?”

His father pulled him into a slight hug and said, “Yes, my son, he is. The last time, when Quirrel died and the soul of the Dark Lord fled, a black shadow could be seen. This time, however, not even a shadow remained. I believe that he has gone completely.” Suddenly he remembered something and rolled the left arm of his robes up.

Everyone watched in awe as the Dark Mark, which had been on Salazar’s left arm, faded from existence. Salazar let out a relieved sigh, sensing that every single mistake that he had made over the years was slowly dissipating.

After a few minutes, in which everyone present just stood there and stared, lost in thought, Professor Dumbledore finally broke the silence. “Ah, well done, Harry, really well done! Severus, too. Thank you, my boys. You have done the wizarding world a huge favour today!”

-----

Two hours later, the same people were sitting in the Snape quarters, enjoying Butterbeer and other delicacies the house elves had prepared for their instant party. While Poppy had bandaged Harry’s head, Albus had contacted the ministry, made an appointment for the next morning in order to show them the machine and explain everything. Then he had sent his Phoenix Patronus to all teachers, telling them of Voldemort’s demise and cancelling all classes for the rest of the week. Then Albus joined the others in his Defence teacher’s quarters.

“Oh, what a nice party you are having,” he said, his eyes twinkling madly, before he turned to Harry. “Harry, my boy, I am afraid that I will need you tomorrow morning. The Aurors will come to my office at 9 o’clock. They first need a detailed explanation from you about what happened. Then we will pay a visit to your machine, and I believe it would be reasonable if you could explain to them how it works.”

Harry groaned inwardly. Yes, he knew he would have to explain what he had done, but tomorrow morning? It was already 2 o’clock in the morning, and he was achy and tired. Hadn’t he done enough for the wizarding world?

Noticing that Dumbledore was watching him expectantly, he said, “All right, Professor.”

Madam Pomfrey shook her head and jumped into the conversation. “No, Albus. I cannot promise you that Harry will be well enough in the morning. The Aurors might have to wait a day or two. He has a severe headache, which probably won’t go away completely with pain killers. He has a fever, and his magic is at a level of 40 percent. He won’t be allowed to do ANY magic for at least a week.”

“Why is your magic so depleted, Harry? Is this only from wishing him to cow dung and Scourgifying him?” Minerva asked disbelievingly, and Harry laughed.

“No, Professor. As soon as the Portkey took Voldemort to Hogwarts, I used wish magic on the Death Eaters. I Obliviated them. Of course not completely, but so that they won’t remember anything relating to Voldemort. Therefore, I’m glad that their Dark Mark is gone; otherwise they would have wondered what it was.”

His professors and friends were staring at him, stunned. “You – Obliviated – them of selective memories?” his father finally asked in amazement.

“Ah,” Severus suddenly said. “That’s why it took you so long to transform and fly over to me. I was wondering what you were doing.”

Harry smiled at his future father. “I’m sorry, Severus, but I thought it was important.”

“Then,” Dumbledore said very pensively, “we only have to think about what to do with the Death Eaters, who are currently in Azkaban. Maybe it would be better to Obliviate them as well.”

Harry let out a deep sigh, before he stated firmly, “All right, Professor, if necessary I will travel to Azkaban and Obliviate them – in a few days’ time if you wish.”

The Headmaster threw him an admiring smile and returned, “Thank you very much, Harry. If necessary, we will rely on your help once more. We will ask the Aurors when we talk to them in the morning.”

-----

“Lily and Harry,” Dumbledore turned to the two students, “Minerva and I would like to tell you something, both of you. In one hour, Ms. Baker from the Daily Prophet will be coming for an interview. No, Harry, I won’t make you be there,” he added quickly, seeing the angry glances of Salazar, Poppy, and Minerva. “However, I am going to tell her something about you, which I want Lily and you to know before the whole wizarding world will read it in the paper tomorrow morning.”

He threw a glance at Minerva, who gave him an encouraging nod, and continued, “Minerva and I have a son, Robert. He is a Squib, and he hates everything that has to do with magic. He grew up here with us until he was 11, then he went to a Muggle boarding school, and when he turned 18, he cut off all contact to us. He and his wife, Rose, have two children, Lily and Petunia, who don’t even know that we are their grandparents.”

Lily gasped. “Me?” she questioned, and Minerva threw her a confirming glance, smiling fondly at her granddaughter.

Harry was stunned. “So you are my great grandparents! Amazing! Is that really true?” He looked at the Professors questioningly, before he glanced at Lily.

“Wait!” James blurted out and turned to Harry. “YOU are Lily’s son?”

“Yes…. godfather,” Harry replied smirking.

“Albus, then why for god’s sake didn’t you take Harry in when Lily and James died? Why send him to your abnormal granddaughter and her abusing husband?” Salazar asked, suddenly getting very upset.

Dumbledore’s face became very sincere. “I’m afraid that you will have to ask my future self, Salazar. I cannot imagine a reason to do so, although I am sure I would have had a reason.”

During the night, Harry didn’t have any time to contemplate about what he had learned as he fell asleep before his head hit the pillow.

-----

To Harry it felt as if he had just closed his eyes a few minutes ago, when his father came to wake him up in the morning. “Harry, I am sorry, but Professor Dumbledore would like you to come to his office. You know, the Aurors will be coming in half an hour, maybe the Minister of Magic as well. I know that you are still tired and do not feel well, but I believe that it would be better to get this over with. Afterwards I hope that nobody will bother you, until you are fully recovered from your ordeal. I will see to it.”

Harry sat up, feeling very confused about what his father was talking about. Then suddenly, he remembered the events of the evening before. ‘Oh, I did it, didn’t I? If he’s really dead this time,…’ “Dad? Is Voldemort… I mean, is he really gone this time?” he asked anxiously.

Salazar gave his son a real smile and said, “Yes, Harry, I am sure that you really vanquished him.” He showed his son his left arm and explained, “The last time, the Dark Mark was still there, very faint but I could see it. This time, it has completely vanished.”

Harry took in what his father said, but he still couldn’t believe that he finally had succeeded in the task they had been planning so intensely over the months. He quickly downed the potions Salazar held out to him and – feeling much better immediately – slowly crawled out of the bed. Seeing that Severus was still peacefully asleep in the other bed Salazar had conjured for him yesterday, he turned to his father again. “Dad, do I have to meet the Aurors alone? I mean, Severus has been with me the whole time. Shouldn’t he come as well? It’s not only me who vanquished Voldemort!”

Salazar smirked. “It is very thoughtful of you to say so, and I know that Severus helped you; however it is you who has conquered the Dark Lord – just as the prophecy in the future said.”

Wait!’ Harry thought while he took a quick shower. ‘This means that Dad isn’t going to become a Death Eater, that he’ll stay together with Mom, and that Mom isn’t going to die when I’m a year old, right?’ How would everything be when they returned to the future? Would he have grown up at Hogwarts together with his parents? He hurriedly ate a banana instead of breakfast and went up to the Headmaster’s Office.

When he saw Professor McGonagall waiting for him at the bottom of the steps that lead to the office, he realized that the Headmaster had forgotten to tell him the password. The Gargoyle opened on ‘The Demise’, and together with his Head of House, Harry climbed up the stairs.

-----

When they entered Dumbledore’s office, it was full of people. The second thing that fell into Harry’s view was the newest edition of the ‘Daily Prophet’, laying on the Headmaster’s desk. Half of the front page was covered by a huge headline that read

“HARRY SNAPE VANQUISHES ‘YOU – KNOW – WHO’

– Great Grandson of Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall –”

Harry had completely forgotten that Dumbledore hat told him they were his great grandparents. “Good morning, Harry,” his great grandfather greeted him and proceeded to introduce the people who were seated around his desk. “Now, Harry, here are Mr. McNeill, the Minister of Magic, and Aurors Moody, Potter, Crouch, Dawlish, and Diggory.”

Most of them Harry had already met on the day the Hogwarts Express had been attacked. Nevertheless, he went around and greeted each of them, before he sat down next to Professor McGonagall on the only empty seat.

It took him an hour to recount the happenings of the evening before because of the many questions the Aurors and the Minister had. Finally, the Headmaster suggested to go to the Dungeons and have a look at the machine.

“No, Dumbledore, one last question, please,” the Minister asked kindly, and when everyone looked at him expectantly, he continued, “Mr. Snape, what happened to the Death Eaters? Did I understand correctly that you placed a strong Memory Charm on each of them?”

Harry cleared his throat. “Yes, Minister McNeill. However, I could only use a Memory Charm on the Death Eaters that were present. As far as I know, there are more Death Eaters in Azkaban, and I don’t know if any other Death Eaters were missing at the meeting yesterday. These people do have their complete memories.”

The Minister nodded thoughtfully.

“Dermot,” Dumbledore addressed the Minister, “we would like to keep this secret, but Harry here is capable of wish magic. The Charm he placed on the followers of Voldemort will not be reversed easily. Therefore, Harry has offered to visit the Death Eaters at Azkaban and put them under the same Charm. However, as our Healer, Madam Pomfrey, has forbidden him to do any magic for a week, this visit has to wait until next week in case you want him to do this.”

“Thank you, Mr. Snape,” the Minister said. “However, I prefer to let the Dementors give them a kiss, and then the problem is solved.” Ignoring the gasp of Harry and his great grandparents, he turned to the Aurors, “Moody and Potter, you will contact your colleagues at Azkaban upon your return to the Ministry and instruct them accordingly.”

-----

Finally they left the office in order to have a look at the machine Harry had used to vanquish Voldemort forever. While Harry had expected the Headmaster to make a Portkey for them in order to go to the machine room, Dumbledore led everyone through the Dungeons.

They spent the rest of the morning in the Dungeons room, where Harry had to explain how the machine worked. Finally, the Minister turned to Harry. “Do you think we could get a demonstration, Mr. Snape?”

Harry sighed. He wasn’t supposed to do any magic, and he really didn’t feel up to it. But could he deny this to the Minister? ‘No,’ he decided. “Professor, could you make a Portkey from here into the machine please?” he asked his great grandfather and added, “In the meantime, I’ll go and catch a rat.”

Two of the Aurors accompanied him to a corner in the dungeons where Salazar had shown him and Severus a place they could always find many rats. Lucky for Harry, the Aurors immediately stunned and caught a rat, so that Harry didn’t have to use any magic. Back in the room, they enlarged the rats and put it through the whole process in the machine, until Harry had turned it into cow dung that could be Scourgified.

With mixed up feelings Harry anxiously glanced at the Minister and the Aurors. Would they approve what he had done to Voldemort? Nonetheless, he had murdered a human being. However, the guests were very impressed, and when they left the Dungeons, the Minister addressed Harry once more.

“Mr. Snape, I would like to thank you very much for what you have done in favour of the whole wizarding world. We will have a You-know-Who Demise Party here in the Great Hall – provided that your Headmaster agrees – and on this occasion you will be presented with the Order of Merlin, 1st Class.”

Harry blushed deeply and groaned inwardly. ‘Oh no! I haven’t done it for the wizarding world; I’ve done it to save my Mom! I don’t want anything, and I don’t want any attention,’ he thought but only voiced, “Thank you very much, Minister.”

Finally, he was excused and could return to their quarters, where Salazar and Severus were waiting for him.

“The Order of Merlin, 1st Class?” Salazar said when Harry had told them everything. “I know that you don’t want anything like that, son, but let me tell you something.” He glanced at Harry, who was looking at him expectantly. “I am very proud of you son, and I think you should accept the award because you really earned it. Moreover, this Order will probably include money. You will probably receive quite a sum of money with it.”

Harry groaned. “I don’t want the money. There’ll be people who’d need money much more than me,” he protested vehemently.

“If you don’t want it, you can think about what to do with it. You can sponsor something with the money,” Severus suggested.

“However, you don’t have to decide this now,” Salazar said calmingly. “I suggest that you go and sleep for a few hours.”

Harry complied happily as he was exhausted.

-----

When Harry’s mind slowly turned back to consciousness, he could hear his parents’ voices. Smiling slightly, he lazily opened his eyes and found that Lily and Severus were sitting on the edge of his bed, fondly talking to each other.

“Hello Harry. Did you sleep well?” Lily asked immediately.

Harry was still too sleepy to answer properly, but he took his mother’s hand and squeezed it, noticing that he felt very refreshed and much better than he had before his nap.

“Are you all right, Harry?” Severus asked worriedly, giving his future son a piercing look.

“Yes, of course,” Harry replied. “I feel just great – as if I had slept for a week.”

Lily and Severus laughed. “To put it straight, son,” Severus explained, “you have indeed been asleep for two days. However, it is fortunate that you woke up now as the Demise Party is going to start in an hour.”

Harry groaned. “Do I have to go? Didn’t Great-Grandfather promise me that the talk to the Aurors was the last I had to do?”

Severus laughed. “Let me get my older self, and you can discuss it with him, all right?”

Harry gave him a grateful nod. “Yes, thanks, Severus.”

“Harry!” Salazar was very pleased to see his son awake. “I understand how you feel but the Party won’t be so bad. I had several talks with Albus and the Minister during the last days, and they have promised that you don’t have to do anything except for accepting the Order of Merlin from Minister McNeill. We will eat dinner, and afterwards there will be fireworks over the lake, and that is all. You are not required to say anything, and no reporters will be allowed into the castle,” he explained patiently, knowing how much his son hated any kind of attention focused on him.

-----

Salazar was right. Harry sat among his friends at one of the small tables, which had replaced the House tables for the night, and enjoyed his dinner together with the others very much. There was no huge ceremony, the Minister just called his name, explained shortly what he had done, thanked him, and gave him the Order of Merlin.

Suddenly James addressed Harry. “Harry! Do you remember what you promised us weeks ago?” Seeing his future Godson’s confused glance, he elaborated, “You promised to teach us how to become an animagus!”

Harry laughed. “All right, I will try to teach you. However, we should keep this among ourselves and not tell other people about it. Who else is interested?” he asked and glanced around the table, where Lily, Severus, James, Remus, Peter and Sirius were seated. Everyone except for Remus showed their interest, and Harry sighed. “All right. We have to see where we can practise.” He thought for a moment and suggested, “Maybe I could teach you in my room, however, I have to ask my father first. What do you think? Anyway, we should practise every evening after dinner, whenever we don’t have Quidditch practise. Will that be all right with you?”

When everyone nodded their agreement, Harry turned to Severus. “Severus, can you help me to brew the Animagus Potion tomorrow, I mean, you know, the Potion you can take in order to know, which animal you’re going to turn into?”

Severus gave him an enthusiastic nod. “Yes, Harry, of course. You should know how much I love Potions.”

Harry gave his future father a huge smile and continued to devour his dinner. As he had been asleep for two days he was very hungry, and the meal was especially delicious this evening.

When everyone headed outside for the fireworks one of the Headmaster’s friends had organized over the lake, the Minister caught up with Harry and asked, “May I talk to you privately, Mr. Snape?”

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful betas Thegirllikeme and Kristeh - and thanks to you for reading and for your brilliant reviews :-)

I do not own any of the characters in this story; they all belong to J.K.Rowling or are a free creation, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.