Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The First Lesson

The next day dragged by for Harry. Last night's meeting with Snape hadn't brought up the truce that they'd made with one another. Harry wondered if it would be brought up again, or if it would simply remain unspoken of, something they just did. He found himself in his last class of the day, Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Harry paid a surprising amount of attention to Professor Lupin. His mind wandered occasionally, but for the most part he was able to keep his attention on the lesson. The class was learning about shielding charms. Harry already knew quite a bit about them as he'd spent quite an amount of time with the book Lupin had given him for his birthday. That reminded him, because of all of the mess since he'd come to Hogwarts he hadn't had a chance to speak with Professor Lupin regarding the extra defense lessons Dumbledore wanted him to have.

"Three feet of parchment on shielding charms, the method and their uses. Due Monday!" Lupin's voice snapped Harry from his musing. He looked up to see Professor Lupin watching him. "Harry?" Lupin began.

"Yes, Professor?"

"Are you all right? You were rather distant for the last part of the lesson," Remus replied.

Harry sighed. "I'm all right. I just have a lot to think about. You know, everything that I learned over the summer, and now I have to have extra lessons with Professor Snape."

Remus looked concerned. "Extra lessons with Professor Snape?" he echoed. "Why? What for?"

"I have to learn how to block the visions I'm getting from Voldemort. We're connected through my scar. Since I like to sleep at night, Dumbledore is making Professor Snape give me lessons on how to protect my mind, as he called it," Harry explained.

Remus nodded, the concerned look on his face still there, and Harry found out why when he asked, "Will you be all right taking lessons with Professor Snape?"

Harry nodded in response. "I think so," he said, "Dumbledore had a reason to put us together, though it's not as if it's a big mystery or anything."

Remus chuckled. "Indeed," he said, doing a fair imitation of Snape's dry tone. The two laughed about that.

Then Harry turned serious. "Professor Lupin, I was wondering about the extra defense lessons I'm supposed to have?"

"Oh, right. I'd almost forgotten about those. Let me see about my schedule. We'll also have to make sure that they don't interfere with your extra lessons with Professor Snape," Remus replied.

Harry nodded, "Okay. We haven't set up a schedule yet. I'm meeting him tonight. I think it might be easier if I found out when he wants to meet first before making up some times with you."

Remus smiled, and said, "You're right, Harry. I'll see what works best for me and then we can see what we can do after your meeting with Professor Snape. Why don't you come by my office after lunch tomorrow?"

"All right, Professor. I'll do that." Then the two bid each other a good afternoon and Harry turned to leave.

Remus interrupted him, "Wait, Harry. I just remembered something."

Harry turned and looked at his professor with a questioning look in his eyes. "What is it?" he asked.

Remus sighed and explained, "Sirius is coming back next week."

Harry paled a little, but he smiled. "All right, thanks for letting me know, Professor. See you tomorrow."

"Bye, Harry."

Harry dropped his things off at his dormitory and then headed down to the Great Hall for dinner. He was worried about what the next week would bring. Truth be told, he didn't know what to do with Sirius. He knew that he should tell him about Snape being his father, but he didn't want to. Harry knew that Sirius would not take the news well, he'd surely take a strong offense to what Snape had done to his mother all those years- conveniently ignoring the fact that in the end, Lily had actually been mostly willing, or accepting anyway, and that neither of the two had had any choice, not really. He sighed, pushed the thoughts away, and sat down to eat with his two best friends.

***

An hour later, Harry was standing in front of the potions classroom, waiting to dredge up enough courage to knock on the door, again. If the situation hadn't been as it was, he would have found it funny. As it was, it wasn't so amusing. He knocked and, after being bid to enter, he opened the door and went into the classroom.

"Mr Potter," Snape greeted.

"Professor," Harry replied. They stood there, an uneasy silence filling the room. The knowledge that they had to now at least try to be civil was at the forefront of both their minds. Finally, the silence was broken.

"Mr Potter, we--"

"Professor Snape, I--"

They stopped, a smile beginning on Harry's face. Surprisingly, Snape beckoned that Harry should go first.

Harry nodded and started again, "Professor Snape, I wanted to... to, well, to warn you about what Professor Lupin said."

Snape arched an eyebrow but he didn't say anything.

Harry continued, "Professor Lupin told me that Sirius is coming back next week."

Snape's face remained impassive, but he asked, "What are you going to do?"

Harry sighed, "I don't know. I am leaning towards not telling him, though."

Snape frowned. "Why?" he asked. Inwardly, he rolled his eyes, 'Are we at that again?' he asked himself.

"Because. Because we're not openly acknowledging our... relationship... beyond this truce. Because I'm still maintaining the illusion that I am James Potter's son. Because I have to reapply an illusion charm to myself every night. Because," Harry finished his mild rant, a tinge of bitterness running through his voice, which surprised him just as much as did Snape.

Snape's frown grew deeper, but he didn't say anything beyond, "Very well. Let's get started, shall we?"

Harry sighed, but he nodded and the duo got to work. "Now, the first thing you have to do is imagine your mind," came Snape's first instruction.

Harry frowned but he tried to do as Snape told him, though he had no idea what it mean. "All right, what next?" he asked, after a few moments.

Snape glared at Harry. "Don't be cheeky, boy. This is serious. This will only work if you truly make an actual attempt at learning," Snape growled.

"Fine," said Harry coolly. He closed his eyes and looked inside himself, he tried to picture his mind. After a few minutes, he opened his eyes and nodded, "I've got it," he said.

Snape nodded, his glare fading away. "Good," he said, "Now, build a wall. Guard your mind from an attack. Defend your secrets."

Harry frowned, not quite understanding, but he thought he had a rough idea as to what Snape was after. He went deep into his mind and imagined a man building a wall. He had the man surround his mind with it, and then he opened his eyes and nodded at Snape. "I think I have it."

Snape raised his eyebrows at Harry in shock and merely replied, "We shall see." He reached out and touched Harry's scar with his left hand, with his right hand he waved his wand and whispered a phrase that Harry didn't catch.

Harry almost jumped when Snape reached out and touched him, but he held himself in check and waited. He didn't have to wait long. The spell Snape muttered allowed him to join the connection Harry had with Voldemort. His own connection through his Dark Mark made it easier to join, and he slipped in painlessly. Soon he was in Harry's mind and he saw the wall. He set to work tearing down Harry's defenses. It was far too easy, but more difficult than he had imagined it would be. It was, after all, Harry's first attempt.

Harry could feel the extra presence inside him. He was mildly annoyed, but more so when rather unpleasant memories of his time with the Dursley's started popping up.

There was the memory of the first time he'd spoken to a snake... Blowing up Aunt Marge... One of Dudley's birthdays... Dudley saying that Harry always ruined everything... The fights with Vernon about his Hogwarts letter...

The flood of memories stopped. Snape was looking at Harry. Harry was trying to avoid looking at Snape. Snape finally caught Harry's gaze.

Harry glared. "What happened?" he finally asked.

Snape sighed impatiently and explained, "Your wall, it was not secure enough."

"How am I supposed to make it more secure?" was Harry's rather indignant response.

"It is difficult," Snape replied, "but it can be learned. You will have to allow me access to your thoughts-full access. Only then will I be able to bring you out and show you how to erect blocks that are strong enough."

"You tried to break down the wall," Harry suddenly backed up and his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Yes," Snape acknowledged, "I did. I had to, you must have a very strong wall built up if you want to block your connection with Voldemort."

"Oh," said Harry. He looked warily at his professor and asked, "Full access?"

"Yes," Snape replied, "full access."

Harry looked down. He wasn't so sure he liked the idea of this, there were many things that he did not want Snape to learn of, not the least of which was his hopes for a future relationship with the professor.

"Well?" came the impatient prodding.

Harry sighed and resigned himself to his fate. He needed to do this. He was rather fond of being able to sleep, and feeling the curses that Voldemort had to have some long term effect eventually. It was for the best, he had to do this. "Fine," he finally said, "I'll do it."

Snape looked resigned, but there was a flash of triumph in his eyes. "Good," he said, "I'll see you here again on Tuesday evening."

Harry nodded and turned to leave, but then he stopped.

"Yes?" Snape said.

"Before I go... Professor Dumbledore wants me to have extra defense lessons from Professor Lupin. I'm supposed to set up a schedule of blocking lessons with you tonight so that tomorrow I can set up a schedule of defense lessons with Professor Lupin," Harry explained.

Snape waved his hand lazily, "Fine. Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday evenings after dinner."

Harry nodded. "Thanks," he said before leaving the room. Harry slowly walked back to his common room. He was thinking of what had just happened in the dungeons. 'That went fairly well. I expected it to be more awkward. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next time... I wonder what that look he gave me was about?'

Harry suddenly found himself in his dormitory. He crawled into bed, his mind filled with thoughts on his odd relationship with the potions professor.