Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Padfoot's Return

On Wednesday of the next week, Lupin stopped Harry from leaving class. "Sirius is back," he said, "He wants to see you today." He stopped and looked around. "Are you going to tell him?" he asked softly.

Harry shook his head and replied, "No, I won't. Professor Snape and I have nothing beyond a truce. Until he accepts me as his... I won't tell Sirius anything. He'd kill Snape. For doing what he did to Mum, and then for rejecting me. No, Professor, I won't tell him."

Lupin could see the sadness at the edge of Harry's eyes. He could tell that Harry wasn't exactly happy about the situation, but Lupin could also tell that Harry wasn't fully certain as to why he was so unhappy with the situation. It was all very confusing and he hoped that Harry and Snape would resolve their relationship soon.

Lupin nodded. "All right, Harry, I understand. Padfoot's reaction to the news would not be good at all, and at this point, you're probably right, it would be easier, not to mention safer, just to withhold the information for now."

Harry smiled. "Thanks, Professor. When should I come see him? Do you want me to come to your office?"

"Yes, I think that would be best. We can have our lesson, and then I'll take you to my quarters. I don't think it's a good idea if he roams the hallways anyway," Lupin replied.

Harry nodded. "I'll come right after dinner?"

"That's fine, Harry. I'll be here," said Lupin.

***

Dinner came and went. Harry stopped by the bathroom to find an empty stall and renew the charms he'd cast on himself to retain his false appearance. Then he went to Lupin's office.

"Hullo, Harry," Remus greeted Harry cheerfully, "Have you been practicing the shielding charms?"

Harry nodded, "Good evening, Professor. I have, and I think the ones you've been showing us in class are very easy compared to the ones you have me doing here."

"That's rather the point of these meetings, Harry," Remus' eyes showed his amusement as he answered Harry.

Harry laughed and nodded. "Of course, sir. What are we doing tonight?"

"I think it's time we started practicing some offensive spells. This one is good to start with, the incantation is..."

***

Snape walked away from the door he had been about to knock on. He could hear that Harry and Lupin were currently in the midst of one of Harry's extra defence lessons, and, for once, he decided not to intrude upon the pair. Albus had told him that Black had returned, so he knew that the pair would be going to Lupin's quarters later that evening. He could bring Lupin his potion then. Dumbledore wanted him to speak with Black anyway, more Order business.

As he walked off he considered Harry. Something within him had changed when Harry had offered the truce. He denied it, he suppressed it; he shut it away, unwilling to deal with whatever it was. He was still surprised that the boy had offered it, so surprised that he'd taken it. Snape sighed, 'What is that boy doing to me?' he wondered.

To make matters worse, Dumbledore knew that something was up. The man was always smiling at him, of course, he always did that, but this time it was a knowing smile. And his eyes were still always twinkling. Snape sighed in frustration and stalked off towards his office. Glaring at the Hufflepuff first years in his way made him feel better, but only a little.

***

"Excellent, Harry! You've got it now!" Remus' excited voice rang through his office. It was the end of their Defense session, and Harry was feeling quite exhausted.

"Thanks, Professor," said Harry, "Can we stop now for tonight? I'm really tired..."

Remus smiled, "Of course. Ready to see Sirius?"

Harry grinned a little as he replied, "I don't think anyone's ever ready to see Sirius, he's rather excitable when he hasn't seen someone in a long time, but yes, let's go."

Remus laughed at the truth in Harry's statement and nodded as he gestured for Harry to follow him. "Okay, come with me," he said.

Harry followed his professor to his quarters, which weren't too far from Gryffindor Tower. Harry waited to the side a little while Remus gave the password to his rooms. (Remus' password revealed his odd sense of humor, it was 'Aconitum', Wolfsbane.) Then the two entered the room where Harry was immediately accosted by a rather large black dog.

"Padfoot! Off!" commanded Remus, smirking, which looked rather out of place since Remus didn't usually smirk.

"Yes, please! Sirius! Get off!" yelled Harry.

"Oh fine." Sirius had changed back into his human form and now he was smiling at his godson. "How are you Harry? Nothing unusual happening?"

Harry's eyes widened briefly at that question, but he knew that Sirius didn't know about that. He just shook his head and said, "No, everything's the usual around here. Well, except for the fact that I've got extra defense lessons from Professor Lupin and mind-shielding lessons from Snape."

Sirius scowled at the last, but mercifully he didn't comment. "Moony's giving you extra lessons, huh? How're they going?" he directed the last towards Remus.

Remus smiled and answered, "Harry is doing very well. He's got shielding charms down excellently."

Sirius grinned and exclaimed, "Wonderful, Harry! This is very important, make sure you learn everything Remus wants you to."

Harry smiled and nodded. "I know, Sirius, I know," he said.

"Of course, you do."

Remus interrupted them then. "Tea, anyone?" he asked.

A "Yes, please, Professor," and a "Yes, please, Moony," answered him. Remus smiled at the two and went into his kitchen to make the tea, leaving his best friend and student to their conversation. When he came out, he saw that Sirius was glaring at Snape, and that Snape was doing his best to ignore the animagus and holding a goblet with what Remus assumed to be the Wolfsbane potion.

"Hello, Severus," greeted Remus, "Is that my potion?"

Sending an 'I-told-you-so glare towards Sirius, Snape answered, "Yes, it is, Lupin."

Smiling pleasantly, Remus replied, "Thank you, Severus. Would you like some tea?"

"No, Lupin. I've merely come to deliver your potion and to deliver a message from the headmaster for Black."

"What is it, Snape?" that was Sirius, hostility clear in his tone.

Snape barely refrained from rolling his eyes. "The headmaster wants you to go to Dublin, we've received word that the Dark Lord is having some of his Death Eaters meeting there. You are to go and see what it is they're doing. He'll tell you the details; you leave in two days."

Sirius blinked. "Oh," he said. Then he frowned, "I thought I was supposed to stay here in the castle for the rest of the year?"

This time, Snape couldn't refrain from rolling his eyes before replying, "Yes, well, this can't be helped. Go talk to the headmaster about it, not me."

"Fine, Snape. I will."

"Good." The Potions Master and animagus stood there and glared at each other until Remus coughed.

"Yes, well, thank you, Severus. I'll see you tomorrow," Remus said, trying to ease the tension.

Snape nodded, "Good night, Lupin. Black. Potter," he said. Then he turned and left the room.

"What did you say to him, Sirius?" Remus was more than a little annoyed.

"He just came in here and demanded to know where you were!" Sirius started to reply, but Harry cut him off.

"Oh come on, Sirius, you know you provoked him. Accusing him of bringing Professor Lupin poison, honestly!"

Remus laughed as he said, "You know, Harry, I remember once when you accused Professor Snape of the same thing. You were none too subtle about it, either."

"I guess so," Harry was sheepish, "I don't know, I guess I just trust him more now, or something. Maybe it's because I know a little of his work with the Order."

Remus' eyes narrowed at his student's statement, and he asked sternly, "And just what do you know about it, Mr Potter?"

Harry had the good grace to blush. "Well... a little more than I should, I think."

"Harry!" Remus exclaimed.

"Well, I overheard some things when I was at the Burrow!" Harry tried to defend himself.

Remus sighed and shook his head. "Well, don't go "overhearing" things again. It's too dangerous."

"Yes, sir," responded a properly chastised Harry.

"Oh, leave him be now, Remus. Let's turn our attention to happier things for now. I've only got two days left, and I want to spend as much time as possible with my favorite godson!" Sirius jumped in on the conversation.

"He's your only godson, Sirius," commented Remus.

"That doesn't really matter, Remus..."