Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Walls and Bridges

Harry left his meeting with Remus and Sirius feeling considerably better, and there was a spring in his step as he walked back to Gryffindor Tower. He settled into the corner that he usually occupied with Ron and Hermione and started working on his homework. Soon, Ron and Hermione came in.

As they walked over to him, Harry grinned at them. "Where've you two been?" he asked.

They both blushed and looked away, and it was Hermione who answered. "Oh, around," she said vaguely.

Harry gave them an odd look and said slowly, "I see..."

Hermione just smiled and sat down next to him, pulling out her books as she did so. Ron followed, though he wasn't so enthusiastic. "Hermione, you do realize that O.W.L.s are at the end of the year, don't you?" he complained.

Hermione glared slightly at him. "Ron! It's best if we start now. We have to go over all the material since first year, in fact, we probably should have started last year!"

Harry smiled as he watched the two bicker over Ron's study habits. They did fit well together, he realized. Then he sighed sadly and turned back to his homework.

Hermione, despite being rather occupied by Ron, noticed. She commented softly, "Harry? Is something wrong?"

Harry looked up at her, and she could see some of the pain that he was hiding in his eyes, but only briefly before he shut down again. He answered her, "I'm all right, Hermione. I've just been to see Professor Lupin and Snuffles, and Snape came by."

Instantly a hint of reproach flared in Hermione's eyes. "Did he say anything to you?" she asked, almost fiercely.

Harry shook his head, no. "No, Hermione, actually, he pretty much ignored me. I guess the truce thing is holding up also in the presence of Professor Lupin and Snuffles."

"That's a start, Harry, isn't it?" Hermione asked hesitantly.

"I suppose, so..."

"It's not enough though, is it Harry," Hermione said gently, "Maybe he'll come around in time."

Harry sighed again, "I'm surprised at myself, Hermione... When I first found out, I didn't really care that he didn't want me, but as life goes on... I find myself wanting him to be a part of it."

Hermione shook her head gently at him and replied, "Of course you do, Harry. That shouldn't surprise you. You've always wanted a family, and here's your chance. But it hovers just out of your reach. You'll catch it someday, Harry. I'm sure of it."

Harry gave Hermione a weak smile and nodded, "I hope so..."

***

The weekend went by and soon Tuesday approached. Harry felt rather apprehensive as his evening with Snape drew near. This was the night where he would have to let Snape fully into his mind -- Snape would see everything, his thoughts, his emotions, his reactions. This terrified Harry; he was worried about how Snape would react to certain things. He knew there were memories he would much rather keep hidden, but it wasn't to be.

On the other hand, Harry did realize that this might allow his father to see him for who he was, fully and separately from James Potter. Harry didn't doubt that Snape probably still held him to the same standards as before, still compared him to James Potter. How could he not? Harry still looked like his son, and was probably a living reminder of things that Snape would probably prefer to be forgotten. Perhaps this night was what they needed.

Harry had to run to his meeting with Snape. He'd been distracted by his homework until Hermione had suddenly pointed out the time to him. Thankfully, Harry made it in time. He knocked, entered the room, and sat down across from Snape's desk.

Snape looked up, his eyes flickered to the clock and back to Harry. "I see you've managed to learn the importance of punctuality," he said snidely, "Good."

Harry ignored him and replied with a nod, "Good evening, Professor."

Snape glared at him, but he didn't comment. "Well, Mr Potter, shall we begin?" he asked.

Harry nodded and replied, "Yes, sir. What shall I do?" Snape didn't reply, he simply slipped into Harry's head.

Inside Harry's mind, Snape quickly found the mental image of Harry Potter. "Come along," he said when he found him, "I don't want this to take too long."

Obediently, Harry followed his professor out and away. As they stood there, Snape turned back to Harry and said, "Now I will show you how to properly build your defenses."

Harry nodded, but Snape didn't see as he had already turned away. He began to wave his wand and whisper the words to a spell -- one that Harry didn't recognize. Instantly, images from Harry's memories started flashing through, also present were the impressions left by his emotions.

The first thing that came was an almost overwhelming sense of guilt -- Cedric's death still haunted Harry's memories. Snape glanced over at the mental-Harry, his eyes were wide, and he looked frightened. Snape looked away and their journey continued...

Next there were more memories of Harry's pre-Hogwarts years... The times Dudley and his friends had gone after Harry... Stays at Mrs Figg's house... Being locked in the cupboard for various minor offenses... Now Harry looked at Snape, his face was impassive, but Harry thought he saw a flicker of something in his eyes.

Next came Hagrid... The first time Harry had been exposed to the Wizarding world... Harry learning how his parents had died... Dudley's tail... His trip to Diagon Alley... Meeting Draco for the first time... It all flashed by in the span of only a few heartbeats, and yet the two wizards were still able to understand what he happened in each scene.

After Hagrid came Harry's first week of classes. The embarrassment he felt in his first Potions lesson... His wonder as to why Snape didn't like him... Enjoyment at his first touches of magic... Again, Snape looked at Harry, this time there was a small flash of understanding on his face, but it was gone very quickly.

More of the Dursley's mistreatment of Harry followed that. What stood out the most to Snape was the Weasley twins' rescue of Harry before his second year. He was shocked by the image of Dursley putting up bars on Harry's window, the locks on the door. He felt dismayed that anyone could treat a child in such a manner.

Next came the events that made up Harry's nightmares... His encounter with Quirrell and Voldemort... The Chamber of Secrets and the Basilisk... Even the Shrieking Shack incident from Harry's third year. (Snape glanced quickly at Harry after that memory, too.) Then the Graveyard at the Riddle Mansion... Voldemort's resurrection was a terrible sight to behold and Snape suddenly found himself feeling a touch of respect for the boy after witnessing what had happened.

Suddenly, Harry and Snape were hit with a wave of emotions. The guilt that they'd felt earlier was still very much present, but along with it came sadness, fear, worry, pain, and happiness. Sadness over Harry's relationship with Severus; fear for his friends now that Voldemort had risen; worry for what was to come and worry that Snape would never accept him; pain over the loss of his family and seeing Cedric die; happiness over the joy that was escaping to Hogwarts each year from the Dursleys, happiness for his friends and those whom he loved.

It was very overwhelming, especially for Snape who hadn't expected to feel the myriad of emotion the way that he had. Thankfully, it stopped then and Snape turned to Harry. "It's done now, your walls are down. All of your defense have been stripped away, even those you have built up unconsciously over the years. Now I will teach you how to build proper walls, and when I am through, not even the Dark Lord will be able to reach you."

Harry nodded firmly. "Show me," he said determinedly.

Snape took in the determined expression on Harry's face and he nodded his acceptance. "Let's begin," he said, and he took out his wand again.

For the next hour or two, Snape and Harry remained in Harry's mind building up his defenses. The work was slow, almost tedious, as Snape often insisted on tearing down what Harry felt were perfectly good walls only to have Harry build them up again. But soon their work paid off, and Harry's defenses were firm and steady. The two wizards surfaced from their journey and faced each other again in Snape's office.

Snape was just in time to catch Harry before he collapsed from exhaustion. Frowning, he cast a 'Mobilicorpus' spell on him and took him up to Gryffindor Tower for his friends to tend to. Then he returned to his dungeon to try to forget what he had learned about Harry that night.