Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost done!
All Good Things

Harry ran to Severus’s quarters after his last class, which just happened to be potions taught by Fred (the twins alternated classes). After too long a distance, in Harry’s opinion, he skidded to halt in front of the portrait guarding the entrance and breathlessly gave the password. As the portrait swung open he tip-toed into Severus’s living room, finding the Potions Master sound asleep on the couch, snoring lightly.

Severus was laying there with one leg hanging over onto the floor and an arm covering his eyes. His shirt was laying crumpled on the coffee table, and next to the coffee table, within arms’ reach from Severus, was a solid white bassinet (a gift from McGonagall). In the bassinet, Harry knew was the most beautiful baby in the world. Harry carefully removed his shoes and walked as though he were on eggshells towards the bassinet.

“Hello,” he whispered softly, so as not to wake his brother or disturb the sleeping month-old infant. “Are you excited about having dinner in the Great Hall tonight?”

Severus had been having all his meals either in his quarters or with his father since he had become a father. Granted, he didn’t stay in his rooms all the time, but he had been hesitant to take the newborn into a large room with so many noisy children.

Harry leaned over the bassinet and gently stroked the fine hair of the sleeping baby as he continued his one-sided conversation. “The whole school is really excited to see you. You’ve met all the teachers already, I think, and Fred and George. They’ll be there tonight, so will Ron and Hermione. Do you remember them?”

Harry paused as though waiting for an answer and removed his hand from the baby’s head.

“I do hope you’re not expecting an answer.”

Severus’s deep voice startled Harry and he jumped back from the bassinet, causing it to shake. A high pitched scream erupted from the bassinet. Severus sighed and stood from the couch in order to pick up the red-faced infant.

Deidra quieted almost instantly as her head rested against Severus’s bare chest. A small hand clutched at his chest hairs causing him to wince as he sat down, but he didn’t try to detangle the tiny fingers. He spared his brother a small glare.

“I just got her to sleep.”

Harry’s cheeks turned red and he crossed his arms over his chest. “You startled me.”

Severus rolled his eyes while one hand gently rubbed Deidra’s back. “Regardless, would you mind keeping an eye on her while I rest for a bit before getting ready for dinner?”

Harry’s mouth dropped open a little in shock. His brother had never left him alone with the baby for more then five minutes before. “Wha…Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Don’t look so surprised. You are her uncle. Consider this the first in a long line of babysitting duties. Or practice for when you and Miss Weasley produce your own monsters.”

Harry‘s face turned scarlet as he attempted to stammer a rebuke.

SssssssssS

Harry was practically skipping as he walked through the corridors next to his brother and niece on way to dinner. Of course, the entire school already knew about the newest addition to the Snape family, but that didn’t keep them from wanting to show her off. Even Severus wanted to see the reaction of the students to him and his daughter. He just hoped they didn’t make too much noise or stare at him with food in their open mouths.

Tobias had never been prouder. The day after they brought the baby home, he went around the school telling everyone, including -- but not limited to -- the teachers, students, portraits, ghosts, and house elves. Had he had any, he would have handed out cigars to them as well. Severus had no doubt that there was a seat reserved for him next to Father, who would be more than willing to hold Deidra throughout the meal.

As they neared the main entrance to the Great Hall, Harry ran ahead a couple of paces to swing open the door for his brother. Taking a deep breath and shifting Deidra against his chest he stepped into the large crowded room. All noise immediately stopped. The silence made Severus a bit weary and he almost turned around and left. Placing a customary scowl on his face he made sure to glare at as many students as possible on his way to the teachers table. The still-grinning Harry walked beside him most of the way until they came to spot where his friends were sitting. Harry placed a hand on his arm and obligingly, Severus stopped as Harry ran his finger over the baby’s hand a couple times and said bye.

As soon as Harry was seated and before Granger could jump up and start cooing over the infant, Severus continued the endless walk to the Head Table. His father was practically bouncing in excitement and Severus almost laughed at the image. He wondered what his father’s military friends would do if they saw him now.

Hagrid was sitting at the end of the table and as soon as Severus approached, he stood up, easily towering over the potions master.

“Mind if I ‘old ‘er, Professor?”

Anyone else would have said ‘hell, no’ to the half giant who could have easily held the infant in one hand, but Severus knew Hagrid well. He often went with Hagrid into the Forbidden Forest to gather potion ingredients, and he had seen the man gather the most delicate of flowers and herbs with care. He had no doubt that Hagrid would show the same gentleness to his daughter.

With a slight nod, Severus gently handed Deidra over and glared at the student body in general when he heard a few gasps.

Hagrid brought the infant up to his chest where the infant grabbed on to his beard and pulled it towards her chest. “Oww…” Hagrid said, but smiled widely and chuckled, “She’s got ‘ome grip on ‘er, Severus.”

Severus could hardly contain the small grin that tugged on the comers of his mouth. “She likes doing that with chest hair too.”

Hagrid laughed at that, but was careful not to disturb the baby to much. He had to bend so Severus could untangle Deidra’s little fingers from his beard and retuned her to her father. Severus took the baby carefully and proceeded to the seat his father had reserved for him next to the Charms professor. As soon as he sat down, his father took the baby from him and began talking to Minerva, who was on Tobias’s other side.

It didn’t take long for the children to start talking again, but they seemed to be whispering to one another instead of practically shouting like they usually did. In fact on several occasions when someone would speak above a whisper someone else would hush them so as not to disturb the baby. The phenomenon did not go unnoticed by the faculty.

“Perhaps we should bring an infant to every meal from now on,” Flitwick commented halfway through the meal. “It seems to be keeping the children quiet better than spiking the pumpkin juice.”

It wasn’t until dessert was served that Severus realized why he felt a bit odd. He’d gotten used eating with Deidra in his arms, and so he’d almost forgotten how to eat with two hands. His father was quite content holding Deidra for him, therefore, he should have been quite suspicious when his father suddenly handed the baby back to him before turning to finish a conversation with Minerva and eat a few bits of cheesecake.

It wasn’t until Deidra’s head was nestled in the crook of his arm and his hand supporting her bottom did he realized why his father had handed her back. Dropping his fork on his plate, he turned his head towards his father with a glare.

“Thanks, Dad,” he said sarcastically.

Tobias barely turned his head, but Severus could still see the smile on his lips. “Not a problem, Son.”

Severus rolled his eyes before excusing himself from the table so he could change Deidra’s nappy.

SssssssssS

Three Months Latter…

“I think Deidra likes camping, Dad,” Harry commented to his father as they sat on the shore of the lake not far from their home. They watched, smiling, as Severus held Deidra under her arms and slowly dipped her up to her small chest in the water then pull her out again, causing her to gurgle in delight.

Harry’s birthday was only a few day’s away and the only thing he had wanted was to go camping with his dad and brother again. Of course, they had to take Deidra with them.

Dumbledore and Flitwick had personally warded Tobias’s home on Spinners End so that the Snapes could move back in when school let out. After talking about it with Tobias and Harry, Severus decided he would put aside house hunting for awhile live with them on Spinner’s End. He still intended to find his own place, but with Voldemort after not only Harry’s blood, but his as well, it seemed safer for the family to stay close together. Additionally, Severus had no problem admitting (at least to his father) that he needed all the help he could get to care for Deidra.

“This is the best birthday ever,” Harry stated firmly.

Tobias turned his eyes towards his youngest son. “It isn’t even your birthday yet.”

Harry shrugged, his fingers pulling on several blades of grass. “I know, but the day after we get back is, and all my friends are coming over. So this is part of my birthday celebration.”

Tobias raised an eyebrow, but didn’t comment.

“Thanks, Dad,” Harry whispered sincerely, meeting his fathers gaze.

Tobias smiled and threw an arm around Harry’s shoulders, pulling him into a hug. “You’re welcome, Son.”

Deidra let out an excited squeal that brought Tobias and Harry’s attention back to the two in the water. She had just discovered that if she kicked at the water, Daddy would get wet and make funny faces while spitting water from his mouth.

Tobias and Harry began laughing at the sputtering Severus who was holding the still-squealing Deidra.

Yes, Harry thought as he pushed himself up from the grass so he could rescue his brother from the infant, finding a slightly dysfunctional family was the best birthday gift ever. And he wouldn’t trade them for the world.

The End (Sort of)

Chapter End Notes:
Okay, once again thanks to Breanatala for beta'ing. And thanks to all my reviewers!

There is one chapter left of this story. Its an epilogue chapter that involves a 15 year old Deidra who wants to search for Serenity.

Thanks for reading and please review!