Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

History Repeats Itself

"Are...are you sure?" Severus managed to stammer out with his mouth hanging partially open. He watched more in shock then anything as Serenity paced back and forth in front of him.

Serenity stopped in her tracks and glared at him before snapping bitterly back at him. "Of course I'm sure. I wouldn't have brought it up if I wasn't."

Severus collapsed onto the couch in Serenity's apartment. After putting extensive wards and providing her with an emergency port-key, the Order had deemed it safe enough for her move her store and home to another small town, one that was practically off the map. Severus had made very few trips to see her recently and had to admit the infatuation was wearing off. The things that had once intrigued one another were now just annoyances, which is why Serenity's announcement had been such a shock. He had come tonight knowing that it would probably be their last...date, by mutual agreement, but now...damn.

"I don't want it." Serenity's voice was quite, but the words seemed to reverberate around Severus's head and he jerk his head up fully focused on her.

"What?" Severus's voice held disbelief and though he was sure he had heard correctly...he couldn't believe it.

Serenity spun around and came to stand directly in front of Severus. Her face showed only anger as she clenched her fist and her voice was pure poison. "I want this to be over and don't tell me you didn't come here tonight thinking the same thing. I don't want any connection between us at all...and if that means terminating this pregnancy, then so be it."

Severus could only stare at her in unconcealed horror, unable to articulate words, but only for a moment before angry took the place of his other conflicting emotions. He stood up from the couch easily towering over Serenity and spat contemptuously. "Are you sure it's not because it would be inconvenient to you and your future plans?"

"Forgive me, Severus," Serenity spun around, walked a few feet away and turned back to Severus, her arms crossed over her chest. "Forgive me, if I have plans that don't involve, dirty nappies, screaming children and potty training. I'm so sorry that you thought I would ever be a perfect little house wife whose only joy is producing you children!"

Severus grinded his teeth and slowly walked up to her, towering over her once again. When he spoke his voice was hard and sharp, not unlike ice. "Why tell me at all then? Why not just go our separate ways, then you have your...abortion and leave me in the dark?"

Serenity glared darkly up the angry man before her and swallowed hard, though not out of fear, before replying quietly. "Because, for whatever reason, I thought we could make a deal."

Severus's eyes narrowed, "What sort of deal?"

"Do you want this child?" Serenity asked emotionlessly.

Severus stood motionless for a moment, thinking. In all honest, he couldn't say he wanted the child, but...he the thought of killing something that he took part in creating just because it was inconvenient... "Yes," he heard himself respond after a moment. "Yes, I want this baby."

Serenity swallowed as though she were reconsidering before taking a deep breath and speaking quietly, albeit bitterly. "Then you can have it, but only if you swear that once this thing is born I'll have nothing to do with you or it. The moment it's born you take it and I never want to see or hear from you or it again. Also, for the next six months, if I need anything...and I mean anything, you will provide it; including clothes, food, everything."

Severus looked at her as though trying to see how truthful she was being. After a moment he nodded. "Fine," he said sounding remotely defeated. "I'll give you whatever you need, but you have to take of yourself and the child until it's born. Once it's born...I'll take him and you'll never see or hear from either of us again."

............................

Severus walked back to his chambers that night, completely oblivious to everything around him. If asked later how he had made it back to Hogwarts, he would be unable to answer. After agreeing to the exact terms of their deal, Severus had left Serenity's apartment feeling absolutely nothing except a deep depression.

Opening the door to his rooms, Severus didn't even bother to light a fire or turn any lights on, merely instinctively made his way to his bedroom. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, his thoughts turned even darker. What was he going to do with a child? An infant at that. He wasn't prepared. He could feel his heart rate increase and his breathing became shorter as though he were nearing a panic attack. He didn't know what to do. How could he, an ex-Death Eater, raise a child? Resting his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands, he forced himself to breath normally and though it took an extraordinary amount of effort he cleared his mind.

Eventually, once his mind was blissfully blank he crawled under the covers of his bed, still fully dressed, and went to sleep.

.........................

The next morning, around the time the students were loading onto the train at Kings Cross, the teachers were having their last staff meeting before the students arrived. This meeting was basically to introduce the newest staff member, Dolores Umbridge to the rest of the staff. At the moment, the toad like woman was prattling off about a new era or some other rubbish and was basically being ignored by the majority of the staff. Even Dumbledore had adapted the look he always did when only pretending to listen. Minerva was obviously listening as she was glaring furiously at the Toad woman, as was Filus. Severus, however, had come to the meeting with a distracted look and though he looked at and sneered appropriately, Tobias could tell, if only because he raised the boy, that his son's mind was else where.

Eventually, Umbridge had stopped croaking and with a few final words from Dumbledore, the staff meeting ended and slowly the teachers began getting up and talking to each other, with the exception of Severus who made a beeline for the door. Tobias was not far behind. Within moments he had caught up to Severus and was walking beside him, though if Severus noticed his presence he didn't acknowledge it.

When Tobias spoke his voice was even and as casual as he could make it, but he noticed Severus stiffen just the slightest bit, as though he just realized his father's presence. "Care to tell me about it?"

Severus didn't reply at first just shook his head as he tried to swallow. "No, sir." Was his overly formal answer when he did reply.

Tobias nodded his head and though he could tell something was obviously wrong, he continued on causally. "Alright. You know where to find me when you're ready." With that Tobias turned and headed in the opposite direction of his son, though his pace was now slower.

After a few steps, Severus stopped and listened to his father's footsteps growing fainter on the stone floor. Before he even finished debating with himself, he felt himself turn around and call after his father. "Dad."

Tobias stopped and turned to face his son, but made no move to come closer, his demeanor still casual.

Severus swallowed and stared at the wall instead of his father. "Later, please...sir."

Tobias waited until his silence caused Severus to look at him nervously, before answering casually. "Whenever, you decided, I'll be there." With that, Tobias turned and continued on his way, listening carefully for his son's footsteps.

After a moment of watching his father walk away, Severus turned and, once again with an emotionless mask, walked briskly back to his dungeon sanctuary.

...........................

The evening when all the students had arrived and the Great Hall was bursting with chatter from returning students as well as new, Tobias sat next to his son and listened as Dumbledore stood to make announcements. He was rather surprised when Severus had come through the teachers entrance at the last possible moment and instead of heading towards the empty seat at the end of the table sat down next to him instead. Though it took a great deal of restraint, Tobias merely nodded his head in greeting in an attempt to give his son his desired space.

He knew his son well enough to know that until he was ready trying to get him to open up would be pointless. Severus needed space. At first, he would avoid everyone like the plague, but eventually he would come closer like a frightened animal - all sudden movements would scare him away. So all Tobias could do was sit back and wait until Severus approached him, ready to talk.

The longest it had ever taken was a month; the summer following his seventeenth birthday, when he took the Dark Mark. He had come home and instantly Tobias knew something was wrong, but he didn't push the boy, only reminding him that he was there and willing to listen when Severus was ready. Then, one night Severus came into the living room where he was sitting on the couch watching the telly and actually laid down beside him his head resting against his dad's leg. Tobias said nothing, but after awhile he cautiously placed a hand on his child's arm. Severus had snuggled down next to him, but remained silent for a very long time.

Even though Tobias had to get up early for work the next day, he stayed on the couch with Severus watching pointless shows for a couple more hours, but turned the television off when he noticed the tears running down his son's cheeks unchecked. Very slowly, he had moved his hand from the boy's arm and wiped the tears away, though they were quickly replace by fresh ones. He remained silent and though he had wanted to pull the boy close and comfort him in someway. Severus's face crumpled after a moment and he turned his head into his dad's leg and cried. Tobias couldn't say how long they stayed that way, but eventually Severus stopped crying and sat up on the couch ready to tell his dad everything.

Tobias was drawn out of his musings when he heard Dumbledore introduce him and he stood up and gave brief nod to the assembled students. His eyes came to rest on Harry and his friends for a moment and couldn't help but smile at their teenagerish cheers and applauding. After a brief moment he took his seat and Dumbledore quieted the applause before continuing with the introductions.

Tobias glanced at Severus, glad to see his son's mouth curling at the edges slightly at the antics of his brother and friends. For a brief moment their eyes met and they shared an amused look before returning their attention to pretending to listen to the Toad Woman, as Minerva had affectionately named her.

.................................

"So, Harry," began Neville nervously once they had retired to the boy's dormitory that night. "What's it like...being a Snape and all?"

Harry sighed. He had been expecting something like this since everyone arrived. In fact, he was surprised it had taken this long for someone to bring it up. "I don't know. Severus isn't nearly as mean as he acts in class. And dad...well dad is...dad. I don't know how else to put it."

"Severus?" squeaked Dean surprised. "You call him Severus?"

Ron rolled his eyes and answered for Harry sarcastically exasperated. "Of course he does you twit, they are brothers, after all."

Harry cocked an eyebrow in a very Snape-like fashion in Ron's direction, amused at his friend's words.

Ron shrugged and smiled, before continuing in a firm self assured voice. "Besides, he can't be that bad if he's taking Fred and George as apprentices, can he?"

"I still can't believe it," Seamus said, shaking his head. "Fred and George being apprenticed under Severus Snape: the world must be coming to an end."

Everyone, including Harry, started laughing and the five boys spent the majority of the night being...well, teenage boys.

..........................

Before breakfast in the Great Hall, Fred and George found themselves in Professor Snape's classroom. They had been given instructions to report there at seven in the morning sharp and were now waiting instructions from their professor. In order to be apprenticed to him, the twins had to drop many of their other courses, excluding transfiguration, charms, herbology, and DADA. The times when they would normally have free periods would be spent assisting Professor Snape teach lessons or doing some sort of project themselves. In addition, they would have to spend two hours after classes everyday in their own personal class as well as five hour classes on Saturday mornings. This was promising to be a very tiring school year.

"Well, gentleman, I trust you understand the plans for this week?" Severus said somewhat harsher then he meant to.

"Yes, professor," came two automatic replies.

"I expect the two of you to be in this class room before the first years arrive after breakfast is finished. Understand?"

"Yes, professor," once again, two automatic replies rang out. If Severus noticed, he didn't comment.

"Go eat breakfast, then." Severus dismissed them.

With a final rather repetitive ‘yes professor', both boys got up and left the dungeon.

Severus remained seated behind his desk, seemingly obvious to the absence of his two new apprentices.

...................................

Tobias had faced many things during his life, but he had never, ever, with the exception of Severus's birth, felt as nervous as he did sitting at his desk in an empty classroom, waiting for it to fill up with his very first class: fifth year Slytherin and Gryffindor. His son's class. From what he had been told, it was the worst group of students to put together in a classroom. Tobias felt himself take a deep breath at hearing the bell alerting everyone that breakfast was now over and classes would begin in fifteen minutes. He briefly thought about running back to his rooms and changing into his Naval Uniform - not only would it make him feel a bit more in control, it would confuse a good majority of the students and make the rest a bit wary of him - but before he could act on the impulse the door opened and his first students walked through the door.

He was relieved to see it was his son, Ron, and Hermione as he listened to their hushed conversation.

"...honestly, Ron, it's Harry's dad. We need to be here early to offer support." Hermione sounded exasperated, as though this was not the first time she had had this argument.

Ron's surprised and rather squeaky whisper reached his ears next. "Support! Hermione, the man married a she-demon, raised the most feared professor in the history of Hogwarts, looked Voldemort in the face and laughed, lead us out of mortal peril and, did I mention, raise Professor Snape, and you think he needs support!

It took a great amount of restraint for Tobias to pretend not to be listening and burst out laughing.

It was Harry's amused voice he heard next. "You know he can hear you, right?"

Tobias raised an eyebrow and smirked as Hermione and Ron's heads snapped around to look at him with wide eyes before they both turned red.

After a moment, Tobias took pity on the obviously humiliated students. "Have a seat, kids, and thank you for thought, Hermione."

Hermione mumbled something that he assumed was a ‘you're welcome, sir' and dragged Ron to the front row of seats, the ones directly in front of his desk, before sitting.

Very soon, other students began filling the classroom and before long, the bell signaling the beginning of the first class of the year sounded. Standing up from his desk, he cleared his throat, immediantly silencing the room.

"Well," he began in a formal teacher type tone, "I hope each of you had an excellent summer. To begin, I'd like to clear up a bit of confusion, for my sanity and yours. As I'm sure you have gotten familiar with referring to your Potions Master as Professor Snape, I'll allow those of you who wish to address me as Captain. If you prefer, you may call me Professor, but as time goes on I'm sure we'll all find it more convenient if you use Captain instead.

"Now, that we've taken care of that, let's begin. I've been told that in years past this class has been rather dull. I plan on changing that. History is alive and around us all the time. Many of the things we do or don't do have been rooted in our culture, past down from generation to generation without rhyme or reason. Knowing our history allows us to look into the past for answers to questions we have now and allows us to predict, in a very general idea, what the future holds. By knowing history, we can prevent mistakes from happening, based on what we know happened in the past.

"There is of course a curriculum we have to follow and certain things I must cover, so you will be ready for your dreaded OWLs, but for today, let's talk about some things that interest you, both magical and muggle." The classroom remained silent; not even Hermione raised a hand.

"Come now," he said with a small smile and a mockingly coaxing voice. "There must be something you're curious about. Perhaps you've heard a grandparent or aunt or uncle, maybe a parent mention something you're curious about."

Tobias watched the kids closely; it was obvious they didn't know what to do exactly. Very tentatively, a girl in the second row raised a hand. "Yes, Miss..."

"Brown, sir," she replied cautiously, "Lavender Brown."

"Yes, Miss Brown, what subject in history interests you?"

The girl swallowed, and glanced around nervously before replying. "My grandfather was a muggle sir and when I was little, I remember him mentioning something to my grandmother about someone called Hitler. The rest of my family is magical so none of them were able to explain it to me, and I could never get an answer from him. He always changed the subject."

"I trust your grandfather is close my age? Perhaps a bit older, Miss Brown?" Tobias asked stoically.

"Yes, sir."

Tobias nodded and studied the ground for a moment before addressing the class. "Hitler was the ruler of Germany during World War II, which was a major muggle war around the late 1930's to late 1940's that we will discuss later in the year when we discuss Grindelwald. During this time, Hitler began a systematic genocide in continental Europe. Though his extermination camps never made it to England, his attacks did. Hitler and Grindelwald were very similar. Both idealized the ‘master race' so to speak while mercilessly killing off those who did not meet with their ideals. For Grindelwald, it was muggles, for Hitler it was Jews, gypsies, and homosexuals - but mostly the Jews. You're grandfather, even if he didn't serve in the military probably remembers the mass bombings, especially if he lived in London. It was not a happy time in any respects. I hope that answers your question Miss Brown. As I said we will discuss it more, later in the year. The next time you speak to your grandfather asked him politely, but directly, about the second World War. He probably has much information to share, and many lessons to teach. Any one else?"

Once again the class was silent. It appeared as though it would take a bit more to get them to open up. "All right, if you aren't going to ask me questions, I'll ask you. Let's play a bit of a game. Everyone move your desk to the sides of the room," Tobias said, gesturing to the left and right of his desk. Once they had accomplished that and the noise had settled down he spoke again. "Girls to my right, boys to my left." The class seemed to hesitate for a moment. Tobias assumed they were used to being divided by house. His next order came louder and in his best Captain voice. "Move, now!" From the way most of the students jumped, they had not taken him for the yelling type.

Once all the students were standing, on either side of him he began explaining the rules using his Captain voice, as Severus always called it, the one that commanded attention and dared any to disobey. "I will ask each team questions, you will have thirty seconds to discuss and answer the question amongst your team members. If you get the question wrong, the other team gets to try. If they get it right, they get double the points. First, however, your teams need names." Tobias quickly turned away from the attentive group and practically ran to the blackboard and pick up a piece of chalk. "Well, gentlemen, I'll allow you to choose first you have thirty seconds to decide on a name or the ladies get to choose for you."

Tobias watched closely at the boys glanced nervously from one to another none willing to be the first to enter into the discussion. "Come now, boys, take a look at he girls they're already discussing names." He tried to encourage them and was quite proud when his son appeared to offer a suggestion, which was, of course, immediately shot down by, who he assumed to be, Draco Malfoy. He gave them forty seconds before calling on them. "Well what's it going to be, boys?"

None of them answered, so with a sigh he turned to the ladies who were deep in conversation still. "Forgive me for interrupting, girls, but you now have the challenge of choosing two names."

Without anymore prompting, a Slytherin girl he didn't know spoke up. "For the boys, sir, we like the name ‘Dunderheaded Dunces.'"

Tobias bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from laughing before turning around and writing the name on the blackboard then replied. "As you wish ladies, and I am sorry gentlemen, but rules are rules. Perhaps next time, there'll be a bit more cooperation. And for you ladies, what will your name be?"

Hermione spoke up this time. "'Magical Mayhem', sir"

Tobias chuckled. "Excellent choice. Now, for our first question we go back to the boys."

............................

By then end of the class period, the girls had answered just about every question and gotten the majority right; however, halfway through the game the boys had gotten their act together and begun working together, bringing their score up drastically in a short period of time. Ten minutes before class was over he had them put their seats back in order and take their seats.

"We'll make it a point to play that game at least once a week," Tobias began once they students had settled down. "The teams will be different every time. The prizes will also be different. This time each of the girls earned five house points each for their respective houses and five extra credit points to be added to their summer homework, which you will bring up to me when I call your name." Tobias picked the role up off his desk and began calling out names.

Chapter End Notes:
Okay, consider this a reward for giving me so many reviews in less then 24 hours. Thank you all very much. Also, this chapter is a bit more interesting then the last. Hope you enjoyed it. Now, as I said last chapter don’t get used to this sort of updateing. As the school year gets busier my beta and I will get busier, but I will try to update every other week.

Thanks to Breannatala for beta’ing.

Thanks to all my reviewers, please do so again.

What do you think of Serenity now?