Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Words in italics indicate thoughts. Words in quotations indicate spoken dialogue.
Chapter 19
 

"Look - It's about the Philosopher's Stone!"

Minerva dropped her books, gaping at the three children before her. "How did you know-?"

"Professor, someone's going to try and steal the Stone!  I've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore," Potter insisted.

"Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow.  I don't know how you found out about the Stone, but rest assured, no one can possibly steal it, it's too well protected."

"But Snape knows how to get past all that!" Weasley protested.

"Not Snape!" Harry turned on his friend irritably.  "I told you - it can't be him!  I just know it!"

"But, Harry, it must be - remember the curse?  And his leg?" Granger argued primly.

"I don't care!"  Harry snapped in frustration.  "It isn't Snape!  But someone talked to Hagrid - and now he's going after the Stone!"

"Potter!" Minerva interrupted their little squabble impatiently.  "The Stone is safe.  I know what I'm talking about." She bent down and gathered up the fallen books. "I suggest you all go back outside and enjoy the sunshine while you can." With this final rebuke, Minerva bustled off to the library to return the stack of books.  But she didn't feel nearly as confident as she had claimed in front of the children.

How in Merlin's name did those three learn about the Stone?  Is it really at risk?  I wish Albus was here.

The Headmaster's absence was most  inconvenient.  The note from the ministry had been urgent but mysteriously vague. Minerva wondered if the children might be right.  Was this more than a coincidence?  She decided to speak with Severus.

It can't hurt to be cautious.

She came across Filch as she was leaving the library.  "Oh, Argus, have you seen Professor Snape ?  Is he in his lab, do you know?"

Filch shook his greasy head.  "'E's off  ta Forest."

"What?"

"'E an' Flitwick an' Sprout - the Headmaster's sent them off to see the centaurs."

"He did?" This was the first Minerva had heard of this.

Aye," Filch snorted.  "Professor Snape asked me to take his seven o'clock detention fer ‘em  - the Avery boy, it is.  Said the Headmaster wanted him and the others to meet with the centaurs - some kinda truce meeting, I reckon.  Said they was to try and convince them to be allies - ‘at's wot Snape says, anyways," he grimaced. "I dunno why ye'd want them sort as allies.  Them beasts are a traitorous lot - don't care fer humans a bit, so's I hear."

"Did Professor Snape say when he and the other Professors would return?" Minerva asked anxiously.

"Nope.  Said the meeting place was pretty far into the Forest and ‘e might be late - ‘at's why he gave me his detention."

"All right.  Thank you, Argus." Minerva turned back to her office with a worried frown.

I wonder why Albus never mentioned this meeting to me.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Harry raced down the stairs two at a time.  "Harry!" Ron whined.  "Where are we going now?"

"I've got to talk to Snape," Harry replied grimly.

"WHAT?" Ron halted abruptly, causing Hermione to run into his back, nearly knocking him down the stairs.  "Are you MENTAL?"

"I've got to tell Snape about Hagrid and the stranger.  He'll know what to do."

"Sure he will," Ron griped snidely.  "He'll knock us all out and Obliviate the lot of us."

"No, he won't."

"Harry - are you sure this is such a good idea?" Hermione scolded. "I mean, if you're wrong about Professor Snape, do you really think it's smart to let on that we're on to him?"

"I'm not wrong," Harry said firmly.

"Well, I'm not talking to that Greasy Git!" Ron snarled.  "Even if he isn't trying to steal the Stone, he'll probably just take points or give us detention or something, just for knocking on his door!"

"Ron. . ."

"No, Harry.  No Way!  I'd do anything for you, mate - anything but talk to Snape!"

"Fine," Harry snapped.  "You two go on back to the Tower.  I'm going down to talk to Snape.  I'll meet you at dinner."

He left the two standing on the stairs, staring after him, and rushed along the winding dungeon  corridors.

I'll try his office first. . .then his rooms.

But Snape's office was dark and empty, and there was no answer at the door to his chambers.  Harry was about to turn and go check the staff lounge when a voice startled him.

"What are you doing down here, Potter?"

He turned to face Draco Malfoy.  The blonde boy was alone, leaning against the wall, studying Harry suspiciously.  "Don't you know it's dangerous for a Gryffin-dork to wander around here alone?  This is Slytherin territory - your sort don't belong here."

Harry ignored the implied threat in the other boy's words. "Malfoy!  Where's Snape?"

"What do you care?" Draco leered.  "Did he give you detention again?" he snickered. "Or did you just come down here hoping to kiss his arse and beg him to pass you?"

"I haven't got time for this!" Harry growled.  He startled Draco by grabbing him by the shoulders before the blonde could even reach for his wand.  "I've got to find Snape!  It's important, Draco!" he hissed, shaking the boy hard.

Draco gaped at him, too surprised to argue. "He's not here.  He and some of the other Professors went into the Forbidden Forest. . .some kind of secret mission, I think," he added sullenly.  "I tried to get Snape to tell me, but he wouldn't."

"Bloody Hell!" Harry released Draco and ran a hand through his hair.

Draco stared at him, reluctantly impressed.  He hadn't known the goody-goody Gryffindor ever swore.  "What's this all about, Potter?  Is Snape in some kind of danger?"

"No. I can't explain right now," Harry frowned, thinking frantically. "Listen - I need you to do me a favor."

Draco laughed.  "You're having me on."

"No, I'm not." Harry replied resolutely.  "When Snape he gets back, I need you to tell him something.  Tell him that Hagrid told someone how to get past Fluffy."

"Get past who?"

"Fluffy!  Just listen, will you?  Tell him Dumbledore is gone and I think He's going to try for it tonight.  Have you got all that?"

"Why should I?" Draco growled.  "What makes you think I'd do any favors for the likes of you, Potty?"

Harry grimaced.  "This is really important, Draco!"   When this statement didn't impress the Slytherin, he added hastily, "If you help me, I'll. . .I'll let you fly my Nimbus."

Draco's eyes widened.  "You will?  What's the catch?"

"No catch," Harry vowed earnestly.  "One whole hour - she's all yours."

"Make it two."

"You got it," Harry agreed immediately.  "Now, you know what to say?"

"Yeah, yeah," Draco scoffed in a bored tone. "Hagrid - Fluffy - He'll try tonight. Got it."

"Brilliant!  Thanks, Draco," Harry breathed.  "I owe you one." he turned and raced off, leaving a stunned Draco behind.

What the hell was that all about?

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Minerva made a quick head-count at the staff table and frowned.  Albus was still gone and Snape, Flitwick and Sprout had not returned yet.  She grimly considered the remaining staff. 

Sinistra's not much of a dueler, but she can hold a wand.  Hagrid's good for brute force only.  Hooch can handle herself in a fight, and Poppy's not helpless by any means.  Oh, Please Merlin - I hope I won't need them.

She glanced out at her House table.  The Golden Trio, as Severus called them, were huddled, whispering together over their dinner. 

 If THAT's not mischief brewing, I'm a Muggle Movie-Star.

She resolved to make certain the wily three were safely back in their dorm before curfew.  Then she'd worry about the Stone.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Dressed totally in black, his pale hair hidden beneath his hood, Draco snuck from the Slytherin common room and made his way quietly to Snape's quarters.  When his soft knock brought no response, he decided he might as well go spy on Potter.  The Gryffindor was up to something, he was certain of it.  Though why Potter would want to warn Snape, he couldn't fathom.  Severus and Potter hated each other.  Whatever this was all about, Draco was sure Severus would want to know about it. . .and he wasn't about to be left out if some adventure was afoot. . .especially if there was a chance Harry Potter might get into trouble for it!

He lurked by the entrance to Gryffindor Tower for nearly an hour.  He had one minor scare when Professor McGonagall had come by to check on her house.  Draco had hidden behind an ancient tapestry, trying not to breath in the moldy dust, until McGonagall was well gone, her heels tapping curtly along the empty corridor toward her office.

His patience was finally rewarded, when sometime later, the portrait of the Fat Lady swung open again, and three figures slipped out of the entrance.  He barely had time to identify Potter, Weasley and Granger, before all three abruptly disappeared  right before his eyes.  Stunned, he blinked and held his breath.  Then he heard whispering and soft footsteps moving past his hiding  place.

Invisibility Cloak!  It has to be!

He swore jealously to himself.  Invisibility cloaks were rare, and bloody expensive!  Draco had begged his parents for one repeatedly, but had been turned down flat.  Apparently, neither of them had liked the threat of an invisible Draco let loose on Malfoy Manor.

It must be Potter's!  Granger would never need one - and the Weasels are too poor. Bloody Hell.  That berk Potter gets everything!

Though he couldn't see them, the three must have found sharing the cloak somewhat awkward.  They whispered and shuffled their feet so much, Draco had little trouble tracking their progress.  He followed them, staying well back in the shadows, his black cloak camouflaging him nearly as well as their own magical concealment.

When they stopped on the stairs before a glimmering Peeves, Draco nearly tripped diving for cover behind an urn on the landing.  Some sort of whispered negotiation ensued . . .Draco was too far away to overhear.  Whatever the debate, it must have unnerved Peeves.  The nasty poltergeist bobbed once and shot off, disappearing around a corner. Draco was impressed, in spite of himself.

When the door to the forbidden third floor corridor suddenly opened then closed, seemingly on its own, Draco grinned to himself.  "Gotcha, Potty!" he whispered gleefully.  He turned and snuck back down the stairs. 

Out after curfew - AND in an off-limits area!  Those Gryffin-dodos are bound to get expelled for this!

He considered rushing off immediately to Professor McGonagall's office to report the crime, but quickly abandoned that notion. The Deputy Headmistress had had the gall to punish him the last time he snitched on Potter.

I'll wait for Severus. He won't dock points or punish me.  Maybe he'll even be proud of me for warning him.

He hurried down to the first floor,  practicing a plausible-sounding explanation.

 I felt I had to come tell you, Uncle Severus!  I mean, the Headmaster said it was dangerous, and Potter and his friends might have gotten hurt!

Bypassing the entrance hall, Draco slipped out a lesser used side door into the front courtyard.  He barely made a ripple, a dark shadow in a darker night, as he flitted silently across the dew-flecked lawn. He settled on a low stone wall not far from the main entrance, where he could survey the vast lawns between the castle and the Forbidden Forest.  He had seen the Professors enter the Forest beyond Hagrid's cottage earlier.  Hopefully, they would return the same way.  When they did, Draco would be waiting.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Minerva paced her office floor, glancing now and then at the fireplace.  She had done all she could, short of a proven emergency to warrant locking down the whole castle.  She had placed four of the remaining professors on standby, with instructions to go defend each of the four Houses if called upon, and she had sent Quirrell to guard the third floor corridor.  She doubted the stuttering fool's competence, but he was the DADA instructor after all.  He should at least be able to keep students away from the forbidden area.

She had even sent a message by floo to the Ministry, in hopes of intercepting  the Headmaster.  She had waited over two hours for some reply, but to no avail.  Either the old wizard wasn't there, or her message had been delayed - bogged down in the bureaucracy of the Ministry's message center.

She knew she could do little else until Albus returned, but she found no comfort in her preparations.  She was tense and irritable, and more than a little put out by the position Albus had placed her in. 

Really - I don't know what that old coot was thinking!  Taking off for London and leaving us half-staffed, with that ‘thing' on site!

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Snape paced the clearing, his face a bland mask that concealed his irritation.  Only the snap of his cloak and the swirl of his robes as he turned, betrayed his impatience.  The moonless night was so dark it cast no shadows, and the little clearing was only marginally brighter than the black gloom of the Forest.

"It's gone past ten. . ." Professor Sprout commented from the boulder where she sat.  "They should have been here by now."

Snape glared at her, but repressed an urge to voice his true opinion of Pomona Sprout - Queen of the Obvious.

"They aren't coming,"  Flitwick stated blandly.  He hopped down from the tree stump he had been standing watch from, and gave Snape a cagey look.  "Centaurs can track time across a night sky down to the minute," he said, his high voice not diminishing the little wizard's shrewdness. "They are never tardy. . .not if they mean to be somewhere."

Severus nodded.  "I think we'd better go back."

"Thank Merlin!" Pomona heaved her compact bulk off the boulder with a sigh. "Bloody waste of time, this was," she muttered.

Snape led the way back through the dense Forest.  Though all three Professors held their wands out and ready, they met no dangers on the trail.  The Forest was strangely still and silent.  Courtesy demanded that Severus shorten his long strides to accommodate the slower pace of his companions (both the short and the stout).  Even unimpeded by threats or perils, it took them nearly three hours to make their way back to Hogwarts.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Minerva didn't really believe the Stone could be stolen, but even an attempt could get someone hurt.

I probably shouldn't have left Quirrell up there alone.

With this nagging worry, she paced some more until she could stand it no longer.  She hurried from her office and headed for the third floor.

I can at least check up on the silly man. . .make certain he hasn't dozed off!

When she reached the third floor, her worst fears were realized.  The hallway was deserted, the torches burning dimly, and the door to Fluffy's chamber stood open.  There was no sign of Professor Quirrell.  With a silent curse, Minerva dispatched four flashes from her wand, the signals which would seek out and alert the staff on standby.  Then she rushed down the hall, breaking bravely into the first song that came to mind. A loud, somewhat shaky rendition of Robert Burn's   Flow Gently, Sweet Afton   sent Hagrid's three-headed ‘pet' into a peaceful snooze. Ignoring the abandoned harp, the elderly witch levitated gracefully through the open trap door, down into the darkness.

A hasty Lumos chased the clinging tendrils of Sprout's Devils Snare cringing away into the shadows, and Minerva strode determinedly down the damp passageway.  She wasted no time in the key room.  There was no sign of forced entry, but she knew the safeguards each professor had installed would reset themselves automatically. The winged-key room was Flitwick's contribution but she knew its weaknesses. Ignoring the hovering brooms, she cast a powerful Immobulis, freezing the flying keys in place.  She plucked the correct one from the air as it floated past.

As she entered the next room, she wasn't concerned - it was her chess game, after all and she knew how to disable it. Unfortunately, she never had the chance to stop the game in progress.  The harsh lights already illuminating the giant chess set, momentarily blinded her. As she halted, blinking, the rumble of the moving pieces made the floor shake beneath her feet. A young voice cried out, followed by a deafening clash of metal on stone as an unlucky piece met its fate. A shower of broken stone from the shattered chess piece descended on her, and as Minerva instinctively ducked, something heavy crashed into the side of her head.  She crumpled to the littered floor, tumbling headlong into darkness.  Hidden in the shadows, covered with dust and rubble, the Deputy Headmistress lay unconscious, unnoticed, and oblivious to the drama unfolding around her.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

As they left the Forest's edge and neared the castle, Severus was the first to spot the small dark shape moving towards them. A shimmer of flaxen hair identified the figure and Severus rushed to meet him.

"Draco!  What are you doing out. . ."

"Uncle Severus!"  Draco cut in excitedly.  "Potter and his friends went to the third floor!"

"What?"

"Potter told me to give you a message!  He said to tell you that Hagrid told a stranger how to get past Fluffy. . .and that Dumbledore is gone and he - somebody - is going to try tonight."

"Bollocks!" Severus swore.

"I don't know what all that means, but. . ."

"Pomona!" Snape whirled and snapped at the two Professors puffing up hurriedly to join them.  "Find McGonagall - tell her to get Albus back here - immediately.  Tell her the third floor has been breached."  He ignored the startled gasps of the others and clutched Draco's shoulder as Sprout scurried inside.  "Draco - I want you to go to my office.  Lock yourself in - raise the wards, and wait for me there."

"But. . ."

"NOW!" his menacing bark left no room for argument. "Filius - you'd better come with me."

They hurried into the entrance hall and Draco slunk sullenly down the stairs to the dungeons, while Flitwick and Snape climbed in haste.  The two vastly dissimilar Professors made an odd pair - one tall and commanding, the other no larger than a house elf.  But though Filius was less physically imposing than his counterpart, his wand was more deadly, and Severus was glad to have the tiny wizard by his side as they made their way cautiously to the third floor.