Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

What's Wrong with Snape?

“What have you decided to name her?” Severus motioned towards the snake residing upon his son’s shoulders.

“Well I am not very good with coming up with names so I ended up settling with Grace. It’s kinda simple and I chose it because she moves rather gracefully.” Alec explained as he caressed the snake curled around his neck and shoulder area.

“It suits her,” his father commented before looking at the clock. “I believe you should return Grace to her habitat and head to the Great Hall to meet your friends.”

Alec did as he was instructed and met up with his two friends, who both had returned from their vacation.

“Hey guys,” he greeted. “So how were your vacations? You get anything good for Christmas?”

The three Ravenclaws sat down and each took turns sharing information about their vacations over dinner in the Great Hall. After everyone was full, Alec led his two friends to his room, where Grace was relaxing in the artificial sunlight of the cage.

Being in the dungeons with Professor Snape around allowed them the opportunity to work on the Animagus transformation more. Alec eagerly showed his friends how he was steadily progressing with fur along the length of his arm. Apparently they were being too loud in Alec’s room because Severus came in. He stood in the doorway with a glass of red wine in his hand and glared at the three kids.

“I planned to enjoy the remainder of my evening in silence but that isn’t possible unless the three of you tone it down,” the potions master snapped. Then he frowned at his outburst and spoke again, “I’ll allow you to practice elsewhere if you see either myself or Professor McGonagall in the event you get stuck in a partial transformation.”

“Yes sir,” the three answered in unison before scattering out of Alec’s room. Severus sat down in his chair and stared into the fire as he continuously sipped his wine until he decided to retire to bed.


The month of January flew by once classes started up again and it was now Valentine’s Day. The so-called defense professor decided he wanted to decorate the Great Hall and did so in abundance. He went all out and managed to procure several dwarves to run around the school and deliver valentines to students. The teachers were not too thrilled with all this either, especially the resident potions master. The moment he entered the Great Hall for breakfast, he had immediately turned around and stormed out. When students saw this, they dreaded the moment they had to walk into his class that day.
Second year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs walked in cautiously to their last class of the day, which happened to be potions. The professor was sitting at his desk, furiously grading several homework assignments and the students shuffled to their seats, talking very quietly.

Alec set up his work station in the front of the class, with Josh next to him and Lisa on the other side of Josh. The bell ringing snapped the potions master out of his grading stupor and he got to his feet and began his lecture. After being given thorough instructions of a rather volatile potion, the students began silently working.

Alec was preparing to add one pinch of diced up daisy roots when Josh accidentally bumped his arm and too many of them fell into the cauldron. It immediately began smoking and boiled over, splashing onto the desk and on his arm. The Ravenclaw hissed as the potion burned through his robes and came into contact with his skin.

At the sight and sound of the bubbling potion, Professor Snape swept over there and banished the ruined assignment and then turned towards his son with a scowl on his face.

“I thought you, of all my students, would have been able to complete this potion without any mishaps,” the older man said in a quiet disappointed tone. “I see that I was wrong. Go to the infirmary and get your arm looked at. Detention tonight at seven,” he added.

“But-” Alec began.

“Go,” Severus interrupted and Alec stared at him without moving. “NOW!” the man snapped and the boy stepped back, before fleeing the room.

Alec wiped the stray tear from his eye before entering the infirmary. That was the first time in which his father had really yelled at him and it was all over a stupid accident.

“What can I do for you Mr. Snape?” the Medi-witch asked as she guided him to a bed, which he hopped onto.

“Um, well some of my potion spilt over the cauldron’s edge and onto my arm.” Alec showed her the portion of his arm that had been burnt.

She ran a quick diagnostic scan before pulling out a burn salve from a storage drawer. “Apply this to your arm twice a day until the burn is gone,” Madam Pomfrey instructed as she added the first bit of salve to the wound. A hiss escaped from Alec as the cool salve was smoothed onto his skin. When she was finished, she handed him the bottle.

Accepting it, Alec stood to leave. “Thanks Madam Pomfrey.”

“Run along now and be careful with your arm.” He nodded before heading to the library. Once he got there, he realized he didn’t have his book bag with him and decided to wait until later to retrieve it since he wasn’t quite ready to face his father.

The second year Ravenclaw wandered over to the potions section and began searching for an advanced book. Once he found one, he curled up in a chair and began studying earnestly.

“Alec?” Lisa questioned as she approached. “You missed dinner.” He looked up in surprise.

“I hadn’t realized that much time had gone by. Did either of you happen to grab my book bag?”

“Sorry, I didn’t think to look for it. Professor Snape sorta kicked us all out the moment the bell rang,” Josh explained.

Alec groaned. “Great. I need to get my bag to complete tonight’s charms assignment.” He checked his watch. “I’ve got to hurry. Who knows how long I’ll be scrubbing cauldrons so don’t wait up for me,” he said before rushing to the dungeons. Alec knocked on the door before going inside after hearing a sharp ‘Enter!’ from his father.

“You were almost late, Mr. Snape.” Alec winced at hearing his father address him so formally. “Get to work scrubbing out those cauldrons,” he motioned towards three dirty ones, “and when you’re finished with that, begin scrubbing the countertops.”

Alec immediately set to work, scrubbing away at the stains caused from various potions. After a while in the silence, Alec looked up and saw his father scowling and massaging his temples before returning to grading essays. Several hours later, he had finished scrubbing the counters and looked up again. His father was watching him with tired eyes while sipping his drink. When their eyes met, Alec immediately looked away.

“I’m finished, sir.”

Severus stared at him for a moment, then frowned. “Alec-” he began before stopping. He shook his head as if to clear it. “You are dismissed.”

Alec grabbed the book bag before rushing to his dormitory, thankfully managing to avoid Filch and Mrs. Norris. The common room was pretty deserted when he arrived seeing as it was getting late. The boy pulled out his charms assignment and began working on it quickly, hoping to still get a decent amount of sleep that night.


Lisa and Josh were once again searching for their friend, but both had a pretty good idea where he could be found. Ever since the potions incident, Alec had been studying excessively in the Library, always focused on potions. Almost everyday Alec would be found devouring another book after finishing homework and after Quidditch practice.

“Hey Alec,” Lisa and Josh greeted as they found their friend curled up in a chair near the back of the Library.

“Hey guys,” he said as he looked up at them with tired eyes.

“You want go walking around outside with us?” Lisa asked.

Alec shook his head, “No thanks. I’ve got to finish reading this book soon.”

“No you don’t,” Josh jumped in. “You don’t have to finish reading that because that isn’t even a book on the syllabus for second years.”

“Come on Alec,” Lisa pleaded. “Just come for a walk outside. It’ll do you good to get some sunshine.”

“I do go outside during Quidditch practice, you know,” Alec replied as he slowly closed the book. “Fine, fine. Let’s go.”

The three Ravenclaws wandered outside for a while before finding a shady tree to relax under.

“Why have you been studying so hard in potions? You already have the top grade in our class,” Lisa pointed out.

Alec remained silent for a moment before sighing. “I guess it’s because I don’t want to disappoint my father again.”

“I don’t think you’re disappointing him,” Josh said. “Valentine’s day just made him cranky so he sorta snapped at you. My parents tend to snap too when they get cranky.”

“Well it’s not like I’ve had a normal family in the past,” Alec snapped. “All I seem to do is disappoint or make my family mad at me for one reason or another.”

“Alec, I know this is frustrating you, but please don’t get mad at us,” Lisa said hesitantly.

“I’m sorry guys,” Alec hung his head. “I’m tired and haven’t been sleeping well lately. But I guess that’s from staying up and studying so much.”

“You haven’t been eating properly too. You’re skinny enough as it is so you’d better start showing up during every meal,” Lisa lectured.

“Yes mother,” Alec replied with a smile. “So do you guys think I should go talk with my father? He hasn’t said anything to me outside of class for a while now.”

“I’d noticed that,” the young witch said. “He really has been busy or something lately because he doesn’t quite seem like himself.”

“Maybe he is worried about this ‘Chamber of Secrets’ thing going on around the school?” Josh wondered aloud.

“Maybe. Thankfully no more attacks have occurred,” the young Snape said before getting to his feet. “I have Quidditch practice in a bit and when I’m done, I think I just might go visit my father. I might be there for a while so don’t wait up for me.” They said their goodbyes and headed their separate ways.


After a long grueling Quidditch practice, Alec dashed off to the Library to pick up a book for his charms homework. Dinner would begin soon, so as he rushed through the halls, he turned the corner sharply and ran into an older student and knocked both of them onto the ground.

“Watch where you’re going stupid little kid,” the older blond-haired boy snarled as he got to his feet and straightened out his ruffled up red and gold tie. The Gryffindor’s two friends, who were following closely behind him, gathered his fallen books.

Alec wearily got to his feet and his hand inched towards the pocket where his wand was stored.

“Hey,” one of the dark-haired boys said. “You’re essay was ruined.” He held up an essay where the ink that was drying was now smudged all over.

“Damnit!” the boy cursed before turning back to Alec. “I spent two hours writing that essay for the greasy git and now it’s messed up because of you!”

“Don’t call my father a greasy git!” Alec butted in angrily.

“So you’re Snape’s kid? Never got a good look at you ‘till now and you’re rather runty,” the blond looked down at him and Alec reddened.

“I’m not runty!” he cried indignantly. “Look, I’m sorry about the essay-”

The older boy suddenly stalked towards him and Alec was unable to finish that statement as he tried to catch his breath after being shoved against the wall.

Before the blond could say or do anything more, Alec shoved his knee right into the other’s groin, causing the blond to stumble backwards and release Alec. The Ravenclaw then took off to the Great Hall, deciding to visit the Library after dinner instead. He slowed his pace as he neared the dining hall and paused outside to momentarily catch his breath.

“Hey guys,” Alec greeted as he sat down beside Josh.

“Have you talked to you dad yet?” Lisa asked.

“Not yet,” he replied as he placed food onto his plate. “I’m going to the library to pick up a book,” Lisa gave him a look and he quickly added, “a charms book, not potions. Then after that I’ll head down there.”

“Okay. As long as you stay away from the potions books! It’s Friday and you need to have fun this weekend without spending the whole time studying. So no potions unless it is for a homework assignment,” Lisa said sternly.

“Yes mother,” Alec quipped with a smile.


Alec had just checked out the charms book and exited the library when he heard the voice again, after so long a silence.

Fresh blood…”

The voice went further away and he wasn’t able to understand anything else it said. He immediately set off to go tell his father everything, including the strange voices that only he was hearing. As he turned the corner, he stumbled in shock. There on the ground was another petrified victim along with a petrified ghost. The boy, upon closer inspection, was the same one he’d seen just before dinner in the hallway. The other victim was Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost. Alec started to back away when Filch came up from behind him.

“What are you doing standing…” he trailed off as soon as he caught sight of what Ale was staring at.

“It was you!! You killed Mrs. Norris!” The caretaker screeched.

“I didn’t do it! I swear! I was just walking this way and found them!” Alec defended himself as he tried to extract himself from the caretaker’s grip on his shirt collar.

“Come on boy, we’re going to see the Headmaster.” Filch held tightly onto his shirt as he pulled the boy to the staff lounge, where the Headmaster was chatting with several teachers. As they entered, Alec looked around and was disappointed to notice his father wasn’t there.

“Headmaster,” Filch greeted. “This boy was caught at the scene of the crime! I know it was him that killed my cat! He-”

“Argus,” the older man interrupted. “Unhand Mr. Snape and please tell me what has happened.”

Filch reluctantly let go. “There was another attack,” the teachers present gasped, “and I caught the boy at the scene of the crime.”

“I didn’t do it! I was on my way to see my dad and I came across them. I swear it wasn’t me!”

The Headmaster rose to his feet. “I believe you. Perhaps you should go visit your father while I take care of this.” The Ravenclaw nodded. “Perhaps you can also meet me in my office in say, 30 minutes time?” The boy nodded again before leaving.

Alec descended the dungeons quickly and headed towards his father’s private lab, where he usually was at this time of night.

“Dad?” he called out as he entered through the open door. A crash was heard, followed by several swear words.

“Damnit boy, what do you want? You interupped me while I was in the process of working on a very important potion,” the Potions Master snapped as he turned his angry scowl towards his son.

Alec took a step back.

“Well? What did you want, boy?”

Alec stood there in shock, at seeing his father act this way. “I- uh...” Alec tried to focus his muddled thoughts into finding the purpose of his visit, but he was unable to concentrate with his father’s angry glare directed towards him.

The dark eyes glinted dangerously as they stared at the boy before him. When no reason came forth, he stalked towards the boy who flinched back and grabbed his arm tightly. He proceeded to shove the boy fully out of the lab.

“Do not,” he began in his silky dangerous tone, “bother me again unless you are on the verge of dying. Do you understand me?” Alec gave one quick nod.

“Verbal answer!” the man snapped.

“Yes, sir,” Alec said and watched as the door slammed closed and he was left standing there. Alec bit his lip before turning and leaving.

He wandered slowly towards the Headmaster’s office with many thoughts swirling around in his head.

The staircase was revealed after he guessed the correct password, since the Headmaster hadn’t informed him of it before.

The Headmaster could instantly tell something was wrong the moment the boy entered his office.

“Alec?” he said softly. “What is wrong?”

Alec slumped tiredly into a chair and began to explain how his father had been acting lately.

“I didn’t really think anything was wrong until this evening. He just seemed stressed out or something but that couldn’t have been my father just now. He would have never thrown me out of his office like that!”

Dumbledore thought for a moment before standing up. “Well I think it’s time we paid your father a visit.”

Chapter End Notes:
Hmm... So what do you think is wrong with Snape?