Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Final Chapter

The day after the duel between Severus and Malfoy Sr. was the talk of the school, along with the Chamber incident. Students everywhere were staring at the potions professor in awe. They heard rumors about him being a good dueler but this was the first that they’d actually seen the man duel, not counting the pathetic attempt at a dueling club by Lockhart earlier that year.

Gilderoy Lockhart’s secret was no more either. The entire student body heard about how he was a fake and took credit for what others did by Obliviating them. They also heard how Alec went down into the Chamber of Secrets to save the first year Gryffindor who had been taken down there. Luckily for Hermione, the students were not aware that it was her who left the messages and such earlier; they all just thought she had been taken.

For the next several days, the two Snapes were the most talked about subject around the school. Eventually the talk shifted onto studying matters since the exams were coming up soon. Professor Snape had gone back to teaching potions while Professor Lupin taught Defense, now that Lockhart was sent off to St. Mungo’s.

All the students loved him because he actually taught defensive spells and shields. Since there was so much to catch up on, he rarely assigned homework and they spent most of the class actually learning the spells, rather than reading up on some other accomplishment by Lockhart.

It wasn’t long after the Chamber incident when the petrified students were cured. In the middle of dinner one evening, they came rushing into the Great Hall to be reunited with their friends. Alec saw his two friends heading his way and he stood up and gave each of them a relieved hug.

“I’m so glad you both are okay. It was really boring around here without you guys.”

Lisa gave him a smile. “You’ll have to help us catch up on schoolwork, you know.”

Alec groaned. “The first thing you want to do is schoolwork?”

“No,” Josh cut in. “I want to know what else has been going on. People keep staring and you and your dad. What happened?”

Alec looked around and sure enough students were staring at him. He glared and they turned away but continued whispering. “Yeah, about that. Well, a lot has gone on since you both were petrified. What do you say we head up to my room and I’ll explain everything?”

“Sounds good,” Josh answered. Lisa nodded and the three Ravenclaws exited the hall.

After they settled on the couch, Alec began his tale. He started with his father ingesting the potion from Lucius Malfoy and explained its effects on the man.

“Why did Malfoy give it to your father in the first place though?” Lisa interrupted.

“We don’t know for sure but dad thinks it was because Lucius wanted to control him. Dad said he knew Lucius when he was younger and did some bad stuff with him, but he didn’t go into details. He said that Malfoy was probably just trying to get back at him or something like that. Unfortunately we don’t know exactly why since he didn’t ask Malfoy last time we saw him,” Alec explained.

“I’ll bet your dad wants to get revenge on him,” Josh commented.

Alec smirked. “He did.” The boy went on to explain the rest of the story including the chamber incident and ending with the exciting duel between his father and Malfoy Sr.

“I’ll bet Draco isn’t so popular anymore since the entire school witnessed his dad lose the duel,” Lisa mentioned.

“Well he is still as arrogant as before but he does flush a light pink color whenever the duel is mentioned and that happens all the time. Everyone talks about it and they constantly stare at dad with awe. It drives him insane and he glares until they look away,” Alec laughed.

“So did you get in trouble? For not getting assistance before going down the chamber?” Lisa asked. “That was foolish, by the way. And very reckless.”

“Yeah, yeah,” the dark-haired boy grimaced. “I’ve heard it already. My dad scolded me thoroughly and then he grounded me for the first few weeks of summer vacation.”

Josh scowled. “That sucks. I really wanted to start practicing the animagus transformation some more but I guess that will have to wait.”

“Then you can just do your homework in the beginning to finish it up right away. That way, you’ll have the rest of the summer free,” Lisa brought up.

“Must you always think about homework?” Josh groaned. The three shared a laugh. It was good to be back together again.


The remainder of the school year passed quickly. Exams arrived before they knew it and all students, including the ones who were petrified, were able to catch up in time. Results came out only days before the year ended and Alec was pleased to discover that he did really well overall.

The last part of the year went well until the leaving feast. Ministry workers arrived along with the Minister of Magic himself during dinner that evening.

“Albus, what is this I hear about a werewolf on your staff?” Fudge demanded.

Students gasped in shock and looked up at the teachers. Professor Lupin seemed to sink into his chair slightly but other than that, he didn’t show any reaction.

“Minister, perhaps we can discuss this elsewhere?” the headmaster requested as he stood.

“There is nothing to discuss, Albus. He goes tonight,” the Minister stated firmly. “Parents have already heard about it and demand his resignation.”

“Surely he can stay one last night? The students leave tomorrow after all,” Albus said.

The man scowled. “Fine. To appease the worries of several parents, I have appointed someone from my staff as the Defense professor next year.”

The old wizard frowned slightly. “Who have you appointed, Cornelius?”

“Madam Umbridge. I believe she will be the perfect candidate,” Fudge replied forcefully.

The frown deepened on the Headmaster’s face. “Cornelius, surely I can appoint someone more qualified for the position by the next school year.”

“Don’t worry, Albus. She is capable of doing the job and I already informed the outraged parents that the school will be safe from the teachings of a dark creature.”

Students had figured out who was the werewolf was since there was only one new appointed teacher.

One brave 7th year Gryffindor stood up. “I don’t care if he is a werewolf! He’s the best Defense teacher this school has had since I’ve been here. I wouldn’t have passed my NEWTs without his help in class.” The boy then sat down and looked around at the other students. Some were nodding their agreement but others were still hesitant.

Fudge spluttered for a moment, not expecting a student to actually stand up for the werewolf. The man turned back to the Headmaster. “He will be gone tomorrow and next year Madam Umbridge will be teaching. Good day.” The man left with the other ministry employees trailing after him.

“Thank you for standing up for Professor Lupin,” Albus addressed the Gryffindor. “I am afraid what the Minister said is true. Professor Lupin is in fact a werewolf but I assure you that he has been taking the Wolfsbane potion during the full moon and was kept in a secure location away from students while transforming. If you are finished eating, you may head back to your dormitories now. The train will be leaving tomorrow and I would suggest gathering up your belongings tonight.” The older wizard returned to his seat.

“Come one, let’s get out of here,” Alec suggested and the three headed back to their dormitory for the evening.


“You will be sure to owl us as soon as your grounding is over, right?” Josh asked for clarification.

“For the last time, yes!” Alec responded with a grin. “I’m sure I’ll owl you right away since I’ll be dying of boredom until then.”

“Think you’ll be scrubbing cauldrons or doing homework the entire time?” Josh asked.

“I’m certain I will find a suitable task to keep my son entertained for the entire duration of his grounding,” Severus said from behind the blond boy. Josh spun around quickly then turned back to Alec.

“I thought you agreed to tell me when he was standing behind me,” the boy whispered with a glare.

Alec laughed. “Oh that’s right,” he replied. “You’d better hurry if you want to get a decent place to sit.”

Lisa leant forward and hugged the dark-haired boy. “Have a good summer and owl me as soon as you can.”

“Bye,” Josh said as he clapped Alec on the shoulder. “See you soon.”

“Bye Professor,” Lisa said and Josh copied her example.

“Good bye Miss Bellini, Mr. Johnson,” Severus said. Alec waved as his friends pulled their trunks onto the train. They waved back as they disappeared onto the red steamy train.

“Are you sure I can’t ride with them?” Alec whined.

“No. I already told you that this was part of your punishment,” the potions master replied.

Alec scowled and stuck his tongue out at his father.

“I have some dirty cauldrons that need scrubbing…” Severus trailed off.

“I think I hear the Headmaster calling me. I’ll meet you for dinner in the Great Hall. Okay? Thanks. Bye!” Alec said in a rush, without waiting for a response. He took off in a brisk jog back to the school, escaping cleaning duty.

“Brat!” Severus called out to the boy who was getting further away. He may have gotten out of cleaning now but there was always this summer…

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
I finally got around to uploading this last chapter here. I've already posted the sequel to this on ff.net and I will continue to post my chapters there. Eventually, I'll get around to posting the story at this site, but I'd suggest reading it on ff.net if you're still interested in reading further for this series. Here is the link to my author's page on ff.net http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039327/ Thanks for all the reviews and I hope you enjoyed this story!