Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I just now noticed all the chapters I uploaded last time dissapeared with the site problems. So I am re-loading those plus new ones.
Gilderoy Lockhart

"Do you see them?" Alec asked his father as they looked around the Leaky Cauldron for his two friends. Their parents were dropping them off to gather their school supplies for the upcoming school year.

"No. You asked me that two minutes ago. Nothing has changed since then," Severus replied dryly.

"Sorry," Alec said quietly. "I'm just a little anxious to see them."

Severus snorted quietly, "Did you not just see them several days ago?"

"Well yes..." Alec smiled innocently at his father.

"Hey Alec," Josh said as he entered the Leaky Cauldron with Lisa right behind him.

"Finally!" Alec exclaimed. "Let's go shopping now. I haven't been to the alley forever."

Severus rolled his eyes slightly, "You were just here last week with me."

"Well we didn't get to shop around as much as I'd liked because you just wanted to get your stuff. Now we have all day to browse around so let's get to it!" Alec responded cheekily.

"Brat," Severus added affectionately as they stepped in front of the brick wall, where Severus proceeded to tap the appropriate bricks. Diagon Alley was revealed to them once all the bricks shifted out of the way.

"Where to first?" Josh asked aloud.

"Bookstore," Lisa and Alec announced at the same time.

"Save the bookstore for last because between you three, you will be there all day," Severus advised.

"Fine," Alec replied, pouting slightly. "I need to get some owl treats and that store is closest to us."

They made stops in several stores to restock their quills and ink along with their other supplies. Both Alec and Josh had to get new robes because they grew within the last year while Lisa was able to still use hers. After purchasing everything except for their books, they stopped at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor. Once they finished their sundaes, they finally headed off to the bookstore. A rather large crowd had gathered inside and the reason was apparent when they saw the sign advertising that Gilderoy Lockhart was currently here.

Severus groaned and Alec looked at him in confusion. "Who is Gilderoy Lockhart?"

"He is an imbecilic fool who writes books. Apparently today he is here to autograph them," Severus replied acidly before scowling deeply.

"Gilderoy Lockhart? He's the author of our defense books this year," Lisa pointed out. Severus snatched the list from her hand and quickly scanned it before scowling deeper.

"Albus... please tell me you didn't..." He mumbled to himself before giving Lisa back her letter. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Purchase your textbooks and do not try to dawdle."

The three Ravenclaws entered the packed bookstore and gathered their books quickly and resisted the temptation to browse all the shelves. Lisa and Josh had finished and waited outside while Alec purchased his books. He was on his way out when he tripped over someone's foot that conveniently was in his path.

"Sorry about that Snape," Draco Malfoy said insincerely and Alec glared at him before climbing to his feet.

"What is your problem Draco?" He sneered out, imitating his father rather well.

"Don't call me that. You are no friend of mine," Malfoy replied snidely. "I would never be friends with you since your mother was a mudblood. I-" He was going to say more but Alec cut him off by punching him in the nose.

"Don't ever call my mother that again or you will regret it," Alec spat out angrily. The blond boy went to grab his wand but someone else stepped in.

"Boys, let's be nice now," Gilderoy Lockhart interrupted as he appeared with a big smile, revealing his perfect white teeth.

"You there," he pointed to Alec. "It's not right to hit others. If you were in school, I'd give you detention." He turned towards his audience who was watching the scene. "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to let you all know that I will be Hogwarts Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!" The crowd cheered and the camera took several shots of Gilderoy standing with the two boys.

"Now, I want you two to apologize to each other," Both stared at him in horror. The entire bookstore was watching the scene.

Alec made the first move, "I apologize for hitting you Draco."

Draco glared, but it wasn't as effective with the blood dripping from his possibly broken nose. "I apologize for my comment."

"Excellent, excellent," Gilderoy replied. Lucius appeared just as Severus did.

"Severus!" Gilderoy cried. He turned to address his audience again, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to meet my coworker, Severus Snape. He and I have worked together on many potions and..."

Severus cut him off, "We did no such thing. Come Alec." He commanded to his son. Alec bent down and picked up the books that slipped out of his bag earlier when he was tripped.

Severus left with his son and Lucius did the same while Gilderoy tried to cover up Severus' comment. "I doubt he remembers our work together after laboring in front of the potions fumes for so many hours at a time..."

Lisa and Josh, who waited outside under Severus' orders, were about to ask them what went on inside when Lucius turned his attention to Severus and spoke.

"Severus, you must learn to control that boy. I will not be charging him with assault, this time, but I expect to see you find a way to control that wild child. Surely a little discipline wouldn't be so bad?" Lucius suggested callously.

"Mind your own business," the potions professor snapped. "I will deal with him on my own time and what ever way I see fit. Perhaps you should teach young Draco not to start the fight in the first place?" Severus sneered. Lucius glared and grabbed his son before apparating away.

"Come," Severus ordered sharply the children. They followed him obediently until they reached the Leaky Cauldron. "Floo home Alec, and I will return your friends to their residences."

Alec said a quick goodbye to his two friends before flooing home. He went to his room and pulled out his new belongings and started to pack away his books. The dark-haired youth found a blank book in his pile that he did not remember purchasing. He was going to investigate it when he heard his father arrive. The book was shoved in his trunk and was quickly forgotten as he dreaded the talk with his father.

Obviously, hitting Draco was not the best thing to do, but he would not let someone speak about his mother that way. Since he couldn't use magic without getting in trouble, punching Draco seemed like the next best thing, although at the moment he was regretting it slightly. His father looked furious at him for getting into the mess and Alec was really hoping that man wouldn't take Mr. Malfoy's advice to punish him. He had enough discipline thanks to the Dursleys. Before he could think any further on the subject, his father came in.

Alec couldn't bring himself to look at his father so he settled with staring at his hands and fidgeting somewhat.

"Alec," Severus began. "First I want to assure you that I am not about to discipline you as Lucius suggested." Alec raised his eyes to meet the dark ones of his father.

"I believe you were expecting me to take Lucius' advice?" He asked and Alec nodded slightly. "I told you last summer when I first gained custody of you that I would never hit you and I intend to keep my word. I have other ways of delivering punishment such as grounding you or assigning your tasks to complete." Alec relaxed slightly at these words.

"Start by telling me what happened," the potion master instructed.

"I bought my books and was leaving when Draco tripped me. We shared some words and he said something that I did not like," Alec replied as he turned his attention back to his hands.

"What did Mr. Malfoy say?" he prompted.

Alec looked up at him. "He called my mother a mudblood," he whispered the last word.

Severus scowled, "And you felt it was necessary to strike him?"

"Yes," Alec said defiantly. "I was not going to let him say that about my mother."

"That does not give you the right to strike him. You both are entitled to state whatever you wish but I do not tolerate fighting. I heard that you apologized therefore I will not ask that you do it again. You are, however, grounded."

Alec nodded miserably, "What does that mean?"

Severus looked confused, "What do you mean?"

"I've never been grounded before and I don't know what that involves," Alec replied.

"I see," Severus responded. "I'd require you to finish your homework but you have already accomplished that. You are not allowed to correspond with your friends with the exception of one letter to tell them of your current probation. You are to get up by eight every morning and lights are out at nine thirty. No sleeping in or staying up late. Do you follow me so far?" Alec nodded.

"In addition, you will read the first chapter of your textbooks and I will essentially quiz you on all the material. There will be times when I require your assistance with potions as well."

Alec bit his lip before asking, "How long is this for?"

"Until school starts," the potion master replied. "If you behave, I might be lenient for you." School started in three weeks and that time would not fly by quickly.


Being grounded wasn't all that great but it was much better than any other forms of punishment that he received in the past. After waking up at eight each morning, he would eat breakfast with his father before retreating to his room to read. After finishing a chapter, he would tell Severus, who would then quiz him on the material. If he answered correctly, Severus would allow him to read whichever book he wants. If he answered wrong, then Severus would make him re-read the chapter before being tested again.

"Why is it that you want to make sure I read my books before school starts?" Alec asked one day, just before he was going to read.

"You need to be prepared for the upcoming school year," Severus replied.

"Is something going on this year?"

"No," his father responded. "I merely wish for you to succeed in school. When we go back to Hogwarts, you will be permitted to practice these spells under my supervision."

"Okay. I'll go read now," the young boy headed off to read more. He hadn't though of it before, but for once, someone wanted him to do well and he was determined to do that. The Ravenclaw had done okay in the last school year but there could have been improvement if he had tried harder and now he vowed to himself that he would do better to impress Severus. He then returned to his studying with vigor.


Severus noticed that his son was studying harder over the last few days. The young boy wasn't caught without a book in hand and it was starting to worry him. Constant studying was not healthy for a young boy. He needed to get some fresh air and exercise a bit.

"Alec," Severus called out to the boy, who didn't hear because he was deeply absorbed in his book.

"Alec," he tried again, only louder and this time it caught the Ravenclaw's attention.

"Hey dad," Alec greeted. "Are you here to quiz me on the latest chapter?"

Severus shook his head, "No. Why don't we go outside and fly. You have not been out of the house for quite some time."

Alec's eyes lit up with excitement. "You'll let me fly even though I am grounded?"

"I will make an exception for today," the potions master responded.

"Are you going to fly with me?" The young boy asked.

Severus grimaced, "I suppose flying wouldn't hurt even though I despise it."

Alec smiled at his father, marked the page in his book, and set it on the table. "I will be right back. I need to grab my broom." The boy left and Severus went to grab his broom, the same one that Alec used for Quidditch tryouts last year. Merlin, he thought, it's already been a year...

He was shaken out of his reverie with the pound of rushing footsteps that could only belong to Alec. The boy had arrived with his broom in hand, ready to go. Both wizards went out of the house and Severus felt a rush of wind past him the moment he stepped outside, coming from Alec who jumped on his broom and had already taken off. Severus slowly mounted his broom and rose steadily into the air.

"Come on Dad. Let's have a race!" Severus shook his head fervently. There was no way he would race his son on a broom...

Severus sighed as Alec beat him for the fifth time. How he ended up racing the boy was a mystery that certainly wasn't going to be solved anytime soon.

"One more time!" Alec yelled out.

"No. You said that last time," he reminded the young boy, who was having a lot of fun.

"Alright, alright," the Ravenclaw replied.

"We should go inside to eat lunch now. We have been out here for several hours as it is," Severus said.

"Okay." Alec landed along with Severus. Both wizards ate lunch and Alec was getting up to resume studying, when the potion master stopped him.

"Why have you been studying nonstop? Was it something I said that led you to believe that I wished for you to study all the time?" Severus asked with a puzzled expression.

The boy looked downwards and quietly replied, "I wanted to make you proud."

Severus was shocked at this revelation. "You didn't know that I am already proud of you?"

This time it was Alec who looked up in surprise. "You are?"

"Yes, you daft boy," he responded gently. "Technically you are a year younger than all of these students and you have done exceedingly well. I apologize for not letting you know how proud I was of you beforehand."

Alec smiled and gave his father a big hug. "I think I'll go read a Quidditch magazine instead of studying." Severus nodded his head in agreement and watched the young boy walk off to his room.


The remainder of summer break passed relatively quickly. The week before school began, Severus decided to return to Hogwarts to prepare for the upcoming school year.

The moment they walked in, they wished they would have stayed home. Seated in the Great Hall was none other than Gilderoy Lockhart. Severus groaned audibly and several other teachers eating at the main table chuckled.

"Severus!" Gilderoy greeted, with his perfect smile that only served to aggravate Severus further.

"And this must be your son! Say, you're that boy from the bookstore. I hope you learned not to hit others by now." The new Defense professor lectured. Alec just nodded his head, embarrassed to be scolded like this in front of the other teachers.

"I believe we will take our meal in our quarters. Is Albus in his office or has he been called away?" Severus directed his question to the Deputy Headmistress.

"He is busy with the usual work in his office, if you'd like to chat with him," Minerva replied. "Perhaps it is best to leave Alec in your quarters before talking with the Headmaster." She suggested, knowing exactly what he was going to say to Albus.

Severus strode out of the Great Hall, eager to get away from his newest colleague. He then floated their trunks to their room while Alec carried the cage with Asp sleeping inside.

Severus dropped the trunks at the entrance and sharply turned towards Alec. "I am going to speak with the Headmaster. Do not get into any trouble whilst I am gone." He strode away with his cloak billowing behind him.

Alec turned towards the portrait and went to say the password when he realized he didn't remember what it was. Before attempting to guess the password, his new professor came down the hallway.

"Severus," the man called out from just around the corner. "You left before we had a chance to talk."

Alec groaned when the man came spotted him. I should have hid under my invisibility cloak, he thought.


Severus stormed through the halls like a bat out of hell as he made his way to the Headmaster's office. When he arrived at the entrance, he had to guess several ridiculous candy names before finding the right one. He entered the office without knocking, but then again there wasn't a point since the Headmaster called out, "Do come in, Severus," before he even reached the top of the stairs. The potion master scowled at Albus' know-it-all nature before pushing open the door.

"Headmaster," Severus growled. "How could you hire that incompetent idiot as the Defense teacher? Have you lost your mind, perhaps?"

Albus smiled at his potion professor. "Sit down, Severus. Would you like a Lemon Drop?" Severus continued to scowl as he sat down and like usual, refused the candy.

"I am afraid that Gilderoy was the only one to apply as this year's defense teacher. Unfortunately, the rumors that the position is jinxed have scared off many potential candidates. I interviewed him and he appears confident in his new position." The headmaster replied pleasantly. "To answer your other question, I have yet to loose my mind." His blue eyes twinkled as Severus stood.

"Good day Headmaster," the potion master replied before storming out of the office and back to the dungeons.


"Why hello there!" Professor Lockhart greeted. "What are you doing? Where is your father?" The man flashed the Ravenclaw one of his charming smiles that Alec rolled his eyes to.

"He went to talk with the Headmaster," the Ravenclaw replied simply as his hand stoked the cat.

The new defense professor ignored his bored tone and continued to pester the poor boy. "I don't recall getting your name," he said cheerfully.

"That is because I didn't give it to you," Alec retorted, while still stroking Asp and trying to come up with a way to get rid of the annoying man.

Gilderoy frowned at the student's remark but then gave the boy another one of his award winning smiles. "Will you tell me your name?"

Alec scowled but replied anyway, "Alec." He then got an idea to hopefully scare off the professor. He opened the cage and whispered to Asp.

Lockhart watched the boy talk to his cat. "What a lovely cat you have there. I, of course, know all about cats. Your cat's breed is known to be one of the friendliest and..." he was going to say more when Asp lunged at his feet. He scrambled backwards quickly as the cat hissed at him and stalked him.

"I-I've got to go. Um... to the library..." he scampered off with Asp hot on his heels. Once the professor rounded the corner, the black cat came running back. Alec praised Asp as he stroked the feline.

Alec finally got the chance to turn to the portrait guarding their quarters. "Could you let me inside? I cannot remember the last password we had."

The man in the portrait, Salazar Slytherin, turned towards him. "Why should I give you the password when you have forgotten it?"

"Because I live here and I have not been here for several months, which should be a good enough excuse." Alec snapped at the stubborn portrait.

"What do you think, my pet?" Slytherin asked his snake. "Do you think I should let this little boy inside?"

"I am not a little boy!" Alec responded indignantly.

Salazar turned sharply towards the boy. "You're a Speaker?"

"What do you mean?" Alec asked puzzled. "Of course I can speak."

"I meant Parseltongue," Slytherin snapped.

"Parseltongue ?" Alec said with a questioning tone. "I believe I came across a reference to that once but what is it?"

Salazar looked shocked. "You don't know what it is? It is the ability to communicate with snakes."

"What? I can't do that," Alec replied.

"Yes you can. We are currently speaking in Parseltongue."

"How is that possible when I hear you speaking normally right now?" Alec questioned, very confused at the moment.

"The language is like that. I shall let you inside now. If you are ever in need of the password, just ask." Slytherin replied, much friendlier to the boy for having the rare talent. As Alec entered with the floating trunks behind him, he never noticed the dark eyes that watched the conversation from the shadows.


"Alec," Severus called that night after dinner. Alec wandered in the room where his father was sitting on the couch. Alec plopped down next to him.

"Hey dad," the Ravenclaw greeted.

"Alec, did you talk with Salazar earlier today?"

"Yes..." Alec replied hesitantly.

"Were you aware that you were speaking Parseltongue?"

Alec shrugged. "At first, no, but then Salazar told me I was. Is that a bad thing?"

Severus looked pensive for a moment. "To me, it is not a problem. For others, it will be."

"Why?" the boy asked.

The potions master sighed. "The last known Parselmouth was the Dark Lord. Anyone who speaks to snakes is generally considered dark by prejudiced people. Many Purebloods and Slytherins would envy you for that trait however."

"Do you?" the Ravenclaw inquired.

"I'll admit that I am curious," he confessed. "I brought up this subject because I am sure that others will shun you when they discover this new talent."

"Oh. Thanks for the warning." Alec replied.

Asp jumped on Severus' lap and the man began to stroke the feline. "Good Asphodel for scaring off that fool," he praised the purring cat.

Alec laughed. "You saw that too?"

Severus nodded and smirked. "I believe he will be in my company at all times that man is around. Perhaps that will be enough to discourage him from seeking me out..."

Alec just laughed in response.


"Are you ready to leave?" Severus asked briskly.

"Almost," Alec replied as he fastened his cloak. "Now I'm ready."

"This will take you to an alley just outside of the station," the potions master informed his son.

"Okay. Thanks for letting me ride the train. I will see you later," Alec replied as he grabbed the portkey.

The young Ravenclaw was then swept away through the unpleasant, but effective, way of traveling.

Chapter End Notes:
Please feel free to review these chapters again if you already read them since I lost both the reviews and the chapters when the site went all weird. :)