Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Start of a New School Year

Alec stumbled out from the alley where he had been deposited and made his way towards the entrance of the train station. He glanced at his wrist and discovered that he was going to have to hurry in order to make it on time. He spent too much time getting ready this morning and now it was four minutes until the train left.

The second year Ravenclaw pushed his way through the crowds of people outside the station and managed to slip inside. It was even more packed inside with other people wishing to see family off and that made it very difficult to arrive at the platform.

Alec neared the barrier and saw Fred and George’s family pass through to the Platform 9 ¾. The clock now read one minute until the train left and Alec breathed a sigh of relief. He jogged his last steps to the barrier and went to go through it, but smacked into the wall instead.

“Ouch,” Alec mumbled.

“You all right kid? Need glasses to see that wall right there?” An older man joked as he helped Alec to his feet.

“Um… I wasn’t watching where I was going,” Alec replied. He lifted a hand to hold the sore spot which would probably bruise later.

“Well be a little more careful next time,” the stranger advised before walking off.

Alec pressed his hands against the wall but was unable to gain entrance to platform nine and three quarters. The clock chimed at eleven, which meant the train had just left.

“Why won’t it open?” the Ravenclaw muttered and walked away from the closed barrier. Since he didn’t have his owl, he had no way to contact his father. Luckily, the train station was relatively close to the Leaky Cauldron, where he could floo to Hogsmeade and walk the rest of the way.

Alec made his way out of the station and began heading towards his destination. He began to hum a song quietly as he walked through the streets. It took at least forty five minutes before he reached the Leaky Cauldron. He crossed the street and pushed open the door that lead to the dark and quiet pub.

“Shouldn’t you be on your way to Hogwarts?” the bartender commented as the young boy entered.

“I missed the train,” Alec replied as he blinked several times to allow his eyes to adjust from the bright outdoors to the dark indoors.

“Then why didn’t your parents take you to the school themselves?” the curious bartender asked.

“My father works at the school and he let me use a portkey to get to the station.” Alec replied. “And I didn’t make it before the barrier closed. May I use your floo?”

“Sure thing. Powder’s in the jar,” Tom added as he got back to work cleaning tables.

“Thank you,” Alec said as he tossed the powder in the fireplace. “Hogsmeade!” With a swirl of green flames, the boy disappeared.


“Hi Josh,” Lisa greeted as she pulled her belongings into his compartment.

“Hey Lisa,” Josh replied as he helped her stow away her stuff. “Have you seen Alec?”

“No. I though he would have been here already. I was looking forward to hearing from him again since we have not been able to talk with him while he was grounded.” Lisa said as she pulled out a Herbology book.

“Me too,” Josh added. “Maybe his dad didn’t want him to ride the train because he was still in trouble.”

“That’s probably what it was.” Lisa assumed.

“I didn’t sleep well last night so please wake me if the trolley lady comes by.” Josh relaxed and made himself comfortable on the seat. “I need to stock up on candy for this year.” He added and Lisa nodded before opening her book to read ahead.


Alec landed ungracefully in the Three Broomsticks with soot clinging to his clothes. He stepped away from the fireplace and brushed at the dust. Alec straightened up before strolling out of the building and began walking towards Hogwarts. The school wasn’t exactly close to the small village so it would take a while before he arrived. Thankfully it was a nice day out so the trek to school was pleasant for the second year Ravenclaw.

A short while later, the school gates finally came into Alec’s view. As he got closer, he noticed a little black cat lounging on a rock in the sun. The cat spotted Alec and jumped from his spot and strolled up to the boy, demanding to be petted.

“Hey Asp,” the boy reached down and stroked the black fur. “Escaped the dungeons again?”

The cat meowed in response before walking through the bars of the gate surrounding the school. Alec pushed the gate to open but they wouldn’t budge.

The second year scowled before turning towards the intelligent feline. “Go get dad, Asp.” The cat scampered off to the castle to gain the attention of his master. Alec had forgotten that the gates would only open for an employee of the school. The boy made himself comfortable lounging under tree, waiting for his father to let him in. His stomach growled as he sat there, reminding him that it had been several hours since he last ate. The sun made him sleepy and he drifted off in a light snooze.

“Irritating feline won’t leave me alone…” Severus muttered as he came towards the entrance. “What am I looking for, you bothersome creature?” Asphodel meowed up at him and trotted through the gate bars and walked up to the sleeping boy. It jumped on Alec’s chest and nudged him in the face while purring.

“Hey Asp. Back already?” Alec stroked the dark feline.

“Alec? What are you doing here?” Severus demanded as the boy stood. Asp went back to his rock and sprawled over it.

Severus examined his son and noticed the bruising bump on his forehead. “Where did that come from? Were you attacked? Who was it?” The potions master fired off.

“Dad, relax. No one attacked me or anything like that.” Alec stated as they walked across the school grounds. “The barrier was closed when I arrived.”

“What do you mean closed? The barrier never seals until all families are off the platform and seeing as they usually linger, it shouldn’t have sealed until at least ten after eleven.”

“This doesn’t make any sense. It was closed before the clock chimed eleven. Maybe someone didn’t want me to go to school?” Alec suggested as they reached the main entrance.

“Perhaps,” Severus said. “Until we discover what occurred at the station, I want you to be on your guard.”

“Okay,” Alec acquiesced. “May I get some food from the kitchens?”

“You may join the teachers and myself in the Great Hall for lunch since it is still being served.”

“Is Lockhart there?” the boy asked.

“He was until Asphodel showed up,” Severus replied with a smirk. “He suddenly claimed he had lesson plans to go over.” Alec laughed as they entered the Great Hall.


“Alec!” Twin voices greeted as the second through seventh year students entered the hall.

“Hey guys. Sorry I didn’t make the train.” The three second years pulled up seats at their table.

“Are you still in trouble?” Lisa asked.

“No. Two days ago, Dad told me that I was no longer grounded. I figured it was pointless to write you both when I’d see you today.” Alec replied.

“So why didn’t you make the train today?” Josh questioned.

“My dad gave me a portkey this morning and I was dropped off outside the station. I had to rush to make it on time and when I arrived at the gate, I went to go through the barrier and discovered it was closed.” Alec briefly rubbed the tender spot on his head. “So I walked to the Leaky Cauldron and flooed to Hogsmeade. I walked to Hogwarts and Dad let me inside.”

“Why was it closed?” Lisa wondered.

“We don’t know that part. Dad said it shouldn’t have been closed in the first place.” Alec said. Before they could discuss it more, the doors opened and the first years were led inside. Alec scowled when he saw Draco Malfoy’s blond hair in the crowd. There was a brown-haired girl who pointed towards the ceiling and whispered about reading Hogwarts, a History. Towards the back, there was a red-haired boy, who had to be one of the twins’ brothers.

The hat sang a different song than last year before sorting all the new first years.

“Abbot, Hannah” Professor McGonagall called out. The short blond girl was the first to be sorted and she was placed in Hufflepuff.

“Granger, Hermione” Alec noted that this was the brainy girl who mentioned to other students regarding the enchanted ceiling she read about in Hogwarts, a History.

“Gryffindor!” The Hat called out, surprising Alec who assumed she’d end up in Ravenclaw.

“Figures,” Alec mumbled when the Sorting Hat shouted Slytherin before barely touching Malfoy’s head.

“Weasley, Ronald” The hat was barely on his head before it called out Gryffindor, causing the twins to cheer loudly for their youngest brother. After the Sorting was completed, students dug into the food that appeared. When they were satisfied, the Headmaster gave a quick speech before dismissing them to bed.


“First class today is with Professor Lockhart,” Lisa announced after skimming through her schedule the next morning during breakfast.

Alec groaned, causing his two friends to look at him. “What? I just don’t like the guy.”

“Why? According to his books, he has accomplished a lot and I think he will be an excellent teacher.” Lisa replied.

“I don’t think he did all those things in his books. I read a couple of them and some of the stories just don’t match up.” Alec replied as he skimmed over his own schedule.

Lisa frowned, “Well since we have him first thing this morning, we will be able to find out how good of a teacher he will be.”

“You’re defending the man because you like him…” Josh tossed out and Lisa turned to smack him upside the head lightly.

“That’s not true!” she replied insistently. “We should finish up here so we can get good seats.”

“See, she does like him,” Josh whispered to Alec. “That’s the only reason she’d want to sit up close.” Lisa glared from across the table even though she couldn’t hear exactly what was being said.

“Alright you two,” Alec stepped in before either would argue further. “Let’s just go.” The three second years walked to the Defense classroom and Lisa insisted to sit up front.

“Welcome class!” Lockhart proclaimed as he entered the second year Ravenclaw and Slytherin class. Many girls in the class started at him with adoration written all over their faces. Professor Lockhart gave an annoying speech about his ‘accomplishments’ before handing out papers.

“This is just a friendly little quiz to see what you have learned while reading my book. Do your best and I will collect it just before class ends!” The professor said enthusiastically, with one of his award winning charming smiles that girls drooled over. The questions were ridiculous and were not even related to defense against the dark arts.

1. What Is Gilderoy Lockhart’s favorite color?

8. What is Gilderoy’s greatest ambition?

The questions went on and on about Lockhart and his ‘achievements’. Alec skimmed through the paper and decided to make up interesting answers to pass the time. Even though he read some of the books, he wouldn’t memorize all the little details such as his favorite color.

“Pass your quizzes up,” Professor Lockhart announced and the students complied. The professor began to skim through the tests and remarked about how well some of the students did.

“Mr. Snape,” Lockhart said and Alec looked up at him. “Did you read my books?”

“I clearly stated my favorite color and puke green is not the right answer. My greatest ambition is not to move out of my mother’s house either.” Lockhart informed the boy as quiet laughter rang through the classroom. “I would have thought Severus would have made you read. I think I’ll have to talk with your father about this.”

Alec scowled as he stuffed his books and quills into his book bag. The bell rang, dismissing them to Potions.

“I do not have a class next; therefore I will talk with your father over this matter now. You are heading to Potions next, are you not?” The blond-haired professor questioned.

“Yes sir,” Alec replied sullenly. He was pretty sure that his father wouldn’t get mad about the test but it was the first day of class, so he was probably cranky. When Alec stepped into the classroom, his father did in fact look a tad bit irritable and Lockhart did not help matters.

“Severus!” The defense professor greeted energetically, completely ignoring the cross look on his colleague’s face.

Severus didn’t reply to the man, he merely looked to his son with a questioning eyebrow.

Lockhart chose to continue, “Well Severus, I would have thought you to make sure your boy would study before class. He came to my class completely unprepared and I am afraid he did not do well on the quiz that I assigned them all.”

The potions master turned towards his son again, who replied defensively, “I tried to answer some of it. It’s not my fault I don’t remember the little things such as his favorite color.”

Severus turned to look at the new defense professor, causing Lockhart to shift around uncomfortably as the dark eyes glared at him. “Give me the quiz.”

“I have not graded it yet, but from what I have read so far, it will not be a good.” Lockhart said and passed the quiz to the other man.

Severus’ eyes raked over the test for a moment, before a very small smirk appeared. It disappeared as he turned back to Lockhart. “This was their test?”

“Yes,” Lockhart agreed. “If Alec falls behind in class, I’d be happy to help tutor him. He is your son after all and I wouldn’t mind assisting him--”

“Go away Lockhart. I have a class to teach.” The potions master snapped.

“I’m available tomorrow evening for tutoring-” Lockhart began but was quickly cut off.

“You will not be tutoring my son. If he needs any assistance, I will provide it for him. Now get out of my class.” Severus snarled. A hiss was heard from the desk, where Asp was perched. Lockhart saw the cat and stuttered out an excuse to leave. Who would have though a man with so many “accomplishments” was afraid of a cat?

“Take your seat,” the dark-haired man insisted and Alec snagged a seat next to his friends near the front.

“Today we will be working on….” the professor began his speech.


“Alec,” Severus called out as the class was on their way out. Alec turned to his father and told his friends to go ahead to lunch without him.

“I told Dumbledore that Lockhart would be an incompetent defense teacher,” Severus muttered before turning towards his approaching son. “I’m certain that Lockhart will not teach you much for the upcoming school year. If you and your friends need assistance in learning defense material, I’ll assist you. Perhaps every Saturday evening, you three should come to our quarters where we would discuss several subjects. I could test them in their occlumency barriers and if you three are not too busy, we will brew the Animagus potion this weekend. When not working on those subjects, we would go over any defense spells that you request to learn.”

“That would be great!” Alec exclaimed. “Can you teach us about dueling as well?”

“I suppose. I intend to teach you all the basics first, such as the disarming spell among others.” Severus replied.

“Thank you!” Alec replied.

The potions master made shooing motions with his hands. “Go eat lunch and you may tell your friends.” Alec flashed his father with a smile as he rushed off.