Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Duels

Josh was thrilled that Severus would assist them in Defense since clearly Lockhart wasn’t going to do a good job. Lisa, on the other hand, was glad but she thought the defense professor deserved a chance. She believed that the man would be able to teach them what they need to know, despite the fact that they had yet to learn anything important in class.

“I’ve already told you that I want to attend the lessons with your dad,” Lisa said to Alec. “I just think you two need to give Professor Lockhart a chance. He’s probably nervous teaching for the first time.”

“No he’s not,” Alec replied exasperatedly. “All he ever does if talk about his accomplishments and never teaches us anything. How is that going to help us in the future?”

Lisa scowled at him before turning back to her breakfast. About half way through the meal, a cluster of owls flew in. Lisa received a note from her parents as did Josh but since Alec’s only relative worked here, he never received any mail. Whispers spread throughout the hall a few minutes after owls dropped off their deliveries. Alec was just finishing his food when his father approached him.

“Alec,” the potions master said quietly. “Come, we need to discuss something.” Alec said a quick goodbye to his friends and headed out the hall. They walked briskly until reaching Severus’ office.

“Here,” Severus handed Alec a copy of the Daily Prophet.

Boy-Who-Lived Missing!

The Ministry of Magic has recently discovered that the Wizarding World’s savior has gone missing. He should have started his first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry but he ever showed. Ministry employees went to his last known residence only to discover the house was empty and deserted. According to muggle authorities, the Durlsey family died in a car accident last summer. The muggles also said The Boy-Who-Lived was not involved in this accident because only the two adults were in the car at the time. The Ministry is now attempting to track down our missing savior…

“What does this mean for us? If they find out who I am, will they be able to take me away from you?” Alec asked fearfully.

“No,” Severus reassured. “The blood ritual was permanent therefore there is nothing they can do.”

Alec sighed, “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” the potions master replied adamantly. “Class will be starting momentarily. We can discuss this later if you’d like.” Alec nodded and left the room.


Throughout the rest of the day, Alec heard whispers about the missing boy hero and he was extremely grateful that no one knew who he was. All these people constantly talking about him would have driven him insane if he had attended under the name Harry Potter.

The second year Ravenclaw was currently digging through the book section of his trunk, looking for his Herbology text. He reached in and pulled out the book that he thought was the one he was looking for, and was disappointed to note that it wasn’t.

He was about to put it back but stopped, noticing that this was an unfamiliar book. He opened it and briefly flipped through, noticing right away that the entire book was blank, with the exception of TMR inscribed in the inside cover.

Alec pulled out a quill and ink, preparing to write something inside. He dipped the quill in the ink and paused momentarily over the open book. A drop of ink fell from his quill and onto the page. Alec’s curiosity was peaked when the drop disappeared.

He started by writing hello, just to see what would happen and this time he wasn’t surprised when the ink dissolved. He was shocked though when the diary wrote ‘hello’ back. He slammed it closed, freaked out by the inanimate object writing back to him. Alec grabbed the book and decided to give it to his father because he sensed there was something bad about it.

Curfew began in twenty minutes, which was just enough to stop by and visit his father briefly. The second year had just entered the dungeons when his arms were grabbed and the book skidded across the hall.

“I never thanked you for the incident at the bookstore,” a snide voice said as he appeared in the light. Alec glared up hatefully at the taller blond boy standing in front of him.

“Malfoy,” Alec spat and looked to his sides to see who was holding him. It was the burly boys that always followed the blond first year around like lost puppies.

Malfoy smirked. “My father was not pleased with the incident at the bookstore and now I am going to get my revenge.”

Alec used all his weight to slam his shoe onto the foot belonging to one of the boys holding him. The boy wasn’t expecting a fight and quickly released Alec’s arm. With on arm free, Alec turned to the other boy and kneed him in a sensitive place. He turned towards Draco and stepped to the side, trying to avoid the oncoming punch. It grazed his check, rather than hitting his full on the face like the blond attempted to do. Both boys pulled out their wands, obviously forgetting previously that they were wizards not muggles.

Neither got the chance to cast any spells because their favorite professor arrived.

“Boys!” Lockhart caught their attention and they automatically lowered their wands.

“I thought you both learned your lesson last time about fighting. I told you then that if I caught you fighting, I’d give you a detention and I am afraid I’ll have to now.” The annoying professor informed them.

“Now will either of you explain why the fight started in the first place?” He asked, flashing them one of his annoying bright smiles.

Both boys remained quiet, not willing to say anything.

Lockhart tsked at their silence. “Well then. Mr. Snape, you will be having detention with me. How about next Thursday?” Alec grimaced as he nodded.

“Mr. Malfoy you will serve detention the same night with Professor Snape.” Draco scowled, knowing that detention with Alec’s father would not be fun.

“As for you two,” Lockhart addressed Draco’s friends. “You will both lose ten points from Slytherin.”

“Come now. I will escort you back to your common rooms.” The professor cheerily led the somber boys back to their common rooms as a diary lay forgotten in the hallway.

A pair of brown eyes watched the exchange since the professor arrived, and as the group departed, a student bent down and picked up the book before disappearing in the shadows.


The Saturday after the encounter with Malfoy, the three Ravenclaws went to meet with Severus to work on the animagus revealing potion. The potion took approximately two hours to make and required one week to simmer before they could drink it. They intended to start the potion that day and next weekend, they’d find out their forms.

Alec knocked before entering his father’s private laboratory and the three second years entered after receiving permission. The lab was set up for them to work in one area, where they would each be making their own potion. Everything they needed was displayed in front of them, with the exception of the ingredients. The wooden chest that Alec received for Christmas was in the room so he could gather all his ingredients from it.

There was a black chalk board a few feet in front of their stations with the ingredients listed on it. They got to work gathering the proper substances and laying them near their individual cauldrons.

Severus was there to supervise the potion and to ensure that they didn’t mess it up. “First you need to…” The potions master began.


Two grueling hours later, the three second years finished the hardest potion that they had done so far. With Severus’ help, they managed to each complete it perfectly and now all they had to do was let it simmer until next weekend.

“Do you feel up to practicing dueling today?” Severus asked as he looked at the three weary students. The Ravenclaws shared a glance and nodded excitedly.

“Can we eat and rest first?” Alec asked as he cleaned up his station.

“You may,” the older man replied. “When finished, return here and I will lead you to a safe location to practice dueling.”


“What is this place?” Alec asked in wonder as he glanced around the extravagant dueling room. It contained a platform and the floor was slightly squishy, to provide them with a soft place to fall on.

“Do not show or tell others of this,” Severus advised. “This is the Room of Requirement. I asked it for a dueling room where I could safely teach you three.”

Lisa’s eyes lit up excitedly. “This room can turn into anything we want?”

“There are probably some restrictions on what you can ask for but I have yet to come across any. Now, you three stand here,” Severus indicated to a spot alongside himself.

“The first thing we will begin with is the Disarming spell,” the professor began. “The incantation is Expelliarmus. Study the way I move my wand and then try it yourselves without saying the incantation yet.” The older man demonstrated the wand movements and the three Ravenclaws copied them.

“Stand across from me Alec,” Severus instructed. “Then attempt to disarm me.”

Alec moved to the area indicated and pointed his wand at his father. “Expelliarmus!”

“Try it again,” the potions master said when the wand remained in his hand.

Expelliarmus!” Alec cried for the third time that evening and finally the wand flew from his father’s grasp.

“God job,” Severus praised. “Ms. Bellini, you’re up next.”

After all three got the hang of the disarming spell, Severus went on to explain other important aspects of dueling. He demonstrated how a formal duel would play out. By the end of the evening, the three Ravenclaws were well educated in a formal duel.


Sunday morning came quickly after the three students went to bed sleepy and worn out after the dueling session with Professor Snape.

“Morning,” Alec mumbled sleepily as he sat beside Lisa and Josh on the couch.

“Good morning!” Lisa chirped.

Alec groaned. “Did you have too much sugar this morning? You sound a bit too cheerful for me. Maybe I should go back to bed.”

“I take it you haven’t heard about the new club yet?” Josh broke in, before Lisa could respond.

“Nope,” Alec yawned. “Feel free to enlighten me.”

“It’s a dueling club,” Josh began but Lisa cut him off.

“Professor Lockhart will be teaching anyone who is interested in this club how to duel.” Lisa began and this time Alec was the one to interrupt.

“So? What is the purpose of the club?” the young Snape asked. “Did we not just spend several hours with my father yesterday going over techniques and spells for dueling?”

“Well yes… but I just thought this would be a great chance to gain more of an understanding on dueling. Maybe we’ll learn something new?” she added hopefully, even though she knew Alec was right.

Alec sighed tiredly. “I will go to one meeting with you. If it looks productive and like we might actually learn something, then I’ll stay.”

Lisa beamed happily. “You’ll come too?” She directed towards Josh.

“I suppose,” he replied before adding quietly, “I’m certain we won’t learn anything from Lockhart though…”

Lisa stood, pretending not to have heard that as Alec snickered quietly. “Shall we head to breakfast, gentlemen?” she asked with her hands on her hips.

“Of course, my dear lady. We shall even escort you.” Alec jumped up as did Josh. Both boys opened the portrait door for her and bowed as she strutted past them. She began giggling at the sight and shortly after, the boys followed her laughing at their own antics.


“Hurry up you two!” Lisa hollered up the stairs to the boy’s dormitory. “We don’t want to be late!”

“Coming!” One of the boys shouted and shortly after, they came dashing downstairs, fastening their cloaks securely.

“Now can we finally leave?” Lisa demanded as they reached the foot of the stairs.

“Yes, your highness,” Alec replied with a smirk.

“We apologize most humbly from the bottom of our hearts for our tardiness,” Josh added with his own grin.

Lisa stepped forward and surprised them both by smacking them upside their heads. “Ha, ha. You’re both very funny. Now, if you are done being dramatic, then let’s go already!”

The smirking boys followed Lisa to the Great Hall, where a raised dueling platform had been added.

The two boys were pulled closely to the stage, where other students were already gathered.

“Welcome students!” Professor Lockhart announced as he entered the Great Hall. “I’m glad so many of you have turned up this evening! We have lots to go over. Now, before I begin, I’d like to introduce you to my assistant for the evening, Professor Snape!”

Severus crept out of the shadowy corner where he had been waiting and stepped up to the platform with the familiar sneer on his face.

“I didn’t know your dad was going to be here,” Josh whispered.

“I didn’t know either, but this evening definitely just got better,” Alec replied with a smirk as he watched his father approach the blond professor. Both bowed to each other and turned away, each taking several counted steps before turning back and facing each other.

“Begin on three,” Lockhart instructed. Severus met Alec’s gaze and then smirked evilly. “One…Two…Three!”

Conjunctivitis!” The potions professor snapped out quickly and causing the defense professor’s eye to crust to the point he couldn’t see.

Avis!” A flock of birds swarmed towards Lockhart and began pecking at him. The man dropped his wand in attempt to swat at the birds with his bare hands. One bird nipped his ear and he let out a girly screech.

Several students, including Josh and Alec, began laughing outright at the entertaining sight of Lockhart flailing around blindly.

Severus smirked in satisfaction then summoned his opponent’s, if Lockhart even deserved to be called that, wand, thus ending the duel. He banished the birds and muttered the counter curse, allowing the defense professor to see again.

Just before his father removed the spells, Alec discreetly pulled out his wand and whispered a spell at the incompetent professor.

“Ahh—well that was an excellent demonstration,” Lockhart managed to say as he attempted to straighten himself out.

“Would anyone like to demonstrate how to duel?” Lockhart questioned and several hands went into the air, including the three second years.

“Severus, would you mind if your son participated in the next duel?” The defense professor questioned his colleague. “If he doesn’t know how to duel properly-”

“My son is well qualified in the dueling process. He will not require any assistance from you.” Severus sneered.

“Ahh—so who would like to participate in a friendly duel against Mr. Snape?”

“Might I suggest Mr. Malfoy?” Severus cut in, with another smirk on his face. Draco nodded eagerly and climbed onto the stage before Lockhart could decline.

“Ahh well I suppose that would be fine. Bow to each other boys.” They did as told, then turned and took several steps each before facing each other once again.

“Disarming spells only,” the blond professor instructed. “Now begin on three. One… Two…”

Densaugeo!” Alec dived to the side to avoid a spell that would enlarge his teeth. The spell hit an unfortunate bystander but Severus quickly stopped the spell’s progress and sent the Hufflepuff to the Infirmary.

Furnunculus!” Malfoy shouted out again before Alec had the chance to call out his own spell. This time he had to dive to the ground to avoid the painful boils spell.

Aguamenti!” Alec shouted out at his opponents feet before he jumped up.

Malfoy laughed. “The best you can do is a water spell? Even then, you only hit my feet!” The blond taunted arrogantly.

Alec smirked at his opponent. “Congelo!” The charm hit the water and instantly froze it, causing Draco to slip on the ice and fall flat on his bottom.

The first year Slytherin glared hatefully at the second year Ravenclaw.

Malfoy shouted, “Langlock!” just as Alec shouted the disarming spell. Draco’s curse hit Alec just before the Slytherin’s wand went sailing towards his opponent.

Severus scowled deeply at Draco, silently promising that the boy’s upcoming detention with his would not be pleasant, before rushing towards Alec.

Alec dropped to his knees, let go of his wand, and then shoved his hands into his mouth. Draco’s spell had glued his tongue to the roof of his mouth and now the Ravenclaw was frantically trying to un-stick it.

Severus grabbed his son’s hands. “That was a dark curse,” the man whispered to his son. “I cannot remember the counter curse and unfortunately it is not as simple as a finite incantatem.” Severus explained.

“You will come with me to our rooms and I’ll locate the appropriate counter curse.” He helped his son to his feet and handed the boy his wand.

“What is wrong with the boy?” Lockhart asked as he approached them.

“Nothing,” Severus snapped.

“I see the problem now. I know just the counter curse. Hold still--” Lockhart was preparing to mutter some nonsense but Severus shielded his son from the incompetent fool.

“Do. Not. Ever. Cast any spells on my son without my permission.” The potions master said dangerously.

“I-I was just trying to help the boy out,” Gilderoy stuttered, obviously intimidated by the death glare he was receiving. Lockhart turned towards the audience and frowned as he dismissed the giggling students. He couldn’t figure out why the students were pointing at his back and laughing. He shrugged his shoulder and went to his rooms to curl his hair, never noticing the sign on his back that read ‘Kick Me’…

Severus ignored the man and led his son from the Great Hall.

As they passed Draco Malfoy, Severus hissed, “Detention tonight in one hour.” Alec’s two friends followed quietly after their angry professor. Severus stalked to their quarters and directed Alec to sit on the couch as soon as they entered. Lisa and Josh entered cautiously, not sure if they were welcome or not. Severus gave them both a brisk nod, allowing them to make themselves comfortable.

“Alec, try to relax until I find the counter curse. I understand that it is a bit uncomfortable to breathe but if you panic, then breathing is more difficult. I trust your two friends will keep you relaxed as much as possible?” he turned his attention to the two Ravenclaws, who nodded quickly.

Severus began to shift through the books that Alec was not allowed to touch, meaning that they were filled with dark spells.

“That duel was wicked!” Josh couldn’t help but announce in the quiet room. Alec smiled at his friend, happy he won the duel, even though he wasn’t enjoying Malfoy’s last hex. Draco’s detention tonight sure wouldn’t be pleasant…


Severus pulled open the door sharply and glared down at the sulking blond boy. “Enter.”

“Sit.” He instructed sharply to the seat in the front row of his classroom. Malfoy angrily slumped into the seat, scowling the whole time.

“What were you thinking?” Severus demanded in a dangerously quiet tone.

“It was just a duel,” the young Slytherin snapped. “I could have won it too.”

“That could have been possible, had you not decided to taunt your opponent.” Severus rubbed his temples with his fingers, feeling a headache coming on.

“Whatever,” Draco mumbled.

“What did you say?” the professor hissed.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing what?” Severus snapped.

“Nothing, sir,” the Malfoy heir responded.

“Were you aware that the curse you used on my son is considered a dark spell?”

Draco paled slightly. “No, sir.”

“Then where did you hear of it?” The Slytherin Head of House demanded.

“One of the older boys had read about it somewhere and I just thought I’d try it out.” The first year replied sourly.

“You foolish boy!” Severus shouted as he jumped from his seat in outrage.

“You tried a spell out on my son and you didn’t even know what it did? If you had cast it wrong, you could have killed him for all we know!” He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself and after he regained his composure, he turned his glare to the blond boy who had paled a lot.

“You will have detention for the rest of this month with Filch and all next month, you shall have detention with,” he paused to think of a professor who Draco would hate to be with, other than himself. At the moment, he couldn’t stand to be around the boy because he felt the urge to strangle the little whelp.

“Hagrid. You will assist Hagrid with anything for all of next month.” Severus finished.

“What?” Malfoy yelled in anger. “That great oaf isn’t even a professor. You can’t stick me in detention with him!”

The professor’s dark eyes glared at the boy, who shrank back and stopped his rant. “You will have detention with him. End of story.” Still sulking, Malfoy nodded reluctantly.

“Tonight, you will be harvesting the roots of a Devils Snare plant and the pus from several Bubotuber plants.” Severus informed the boy, who paled further at the mention of the highly corrosive pus that would certainly hurt if his skin came into contact with it. It was going to be a long night fighting Devils Snare and Bubotuber plants for Draco Malfoy.


Alec yawned for the fifth time that night, as he helped Lockhart sign his fan mail during his detention for fighting with Draco over a week ago. After his father managed to unstick his tongue, he had wanted to hex the blond for using such a spell, but refrained. Instead, he told his father and two best friends about the spell he discreetly cast on Lockhart.

Alec yawned again as he addressed another envelope for the professor who thought too highly of himself.

I smell blood….”

“What?” Alec said as he turned towards his professor.

“What is wrong, dear boy?” Lockhart gave Alec one of his dazzling smiles.

Alec scowled at the “dear boy” address. “I just thought you said something.”

“No, I didn’t. Perhaps you are hearing things. Oh my, that could be a sign that something is terribly wrong with you. Perhaps I should check your hearing and your general health?”

“No!” Alec shouted. This man was likely to say the wrong spell, and cause him to go deaf when checking his hearing.

“Umm,” the boy stalled and glanced up at the clock. “Isn’t it getting a bit late? I have homework I need to finish.” He added.

“Well, it seems you are right, dear boy! Off you go. If you need any help with your homework, you know where to find me.” He gave the boy another annoying dazzling smile.

“As if I’d ask you for help…” the Ravenclaw muttered as he exited the room.

So hungry…smell blood…”

“Who is there?” Alec demanded as he glanced around and when he didn’t see anyone, he picked up his pace.

Rip…Kill…”

“Malfoy, if you are messing with me, I swear I’ll hex you so badly…” he threatened out loud but no one heard it since the hallway was deserted.

The boy picked up his pace even more, determined to make it back to the dormitory. He turned down one corridor and stopped dead in his tracks.

One the wall written in something that looked suspiciously like blood was a message:

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE!

Dangling from a torch hanger was Mrs. Norris, the caretaker’s cat. She wasn’t moving and from Alec’s point of stance, he couldn’t tell if she was alive or not. Footsteps approached from the end of the hallway he was going down and Alec took off in the direction he originally came from.

His first impulse was to seek out his father but then he remembered Lockhart’s words earlier. “Perhaps you are hearing things. Oh my, that could be a sign that something is terribly wrong with you.”

Not that he ever took advice from Lockhart; he actually paused for a moment, deciding where exactly he wanted to go. Alec hesitated entering the dungeons and then simply turned towards his dormitory, deciding that it was best not to share anything with his father for the time being. Perhaps the creepy voice would stop. He thought hopefully. Then again, if it didn’t what would happen then? Would they send me off to a lunatic asylum? Would I ever see my father again? These thoughts scared Alec and he firmly strode towards his dormitory, hoping to forget about the entire evening.


The following week, whispers were spread throughout the entire castle over the message. All students searched the library for more information and all came up empty handed. When Alec inquired to his father about this chamber, the man claimed he only knew of a rumor that it was hidden somewhere in the school. He honestly didn’t know any more than that so Alec and his friends would have to search elsewhere.

The week passed quickly enough and finally the weekend arrived. Their potion was almost ready. At precisely 11 o’clock Saturday morning, the three Ravenclaws would drink their potions. Each would fall into a trance where their form would come into their mind’s view. It was a slightly different experience for everyone who took the potion so they weren’t exactly sure what to expect.

“I can’t wait to see what I am!” Lisa said excitedly as they lounged on Alec’s bed Saturday morning.

“You said that at least five times today. In another 20 minutes, we will get to find out.” Alec replied.

“I’m just excited, that’s all.” She explained. “So what would you hate to be?”

“I dunno. Not something really small like a spider or something.” Alec replied.

“Eww,” Lisa said. “I hate spiders! I wouldn’t want to be one of those. What about you Josh?”

“I’m not too fond of snakes so hopefully none of us is one of those,” Josh answered.

“I don’t like snakes either,” Lisa remarked.

“Would you guys hate me if I told you I can talk to snakes?” Alec asked quietly, studying his hands. He had meant to mention it to them at one point and now seemed like an appropriate time.

“No. Why should we?” Lisa asked.

“It’s because the last known Parselmouth was You-Know-Who,” Josh answered as he stared at his friend who was full of surprises.

“Oh,” Lisa muttered. “Well even then, I don’t have a problem with that, as long as you don’t ever ask a snake to scare me or something.”

Alec raised his eyes to smile at Lisa before turning to his other best friend.

“I will say I’m shocked but it doesn’t matter that much to me. I’ll second Lisa’s statement about telling some snake to scare me. If you do, I’ll be sure to find some rather interesting hexes to try out on you.”

Alec smiled. “I promise not to do that. Besides, I don’t think there are any pet snakes around here for me to talk to. I only found out I could talk with snakes when I understood what the door guard Salazar was saying.”

“Can you say something right now?” Lisa asked curiously.

“I can try, but I’m not sure if I can speak it consciously or not. It sounds like English to me but I’ll try anyways.” Alec replied.

“Hello,” he said.

Lisa laughed, “That was English.”

Alec concentrated on a garden snake that he had seen once. He imagined himself saying hello to it. “Hello” he hissed.

“Wow,” was all Lisa said.

“That sounded kinda creepy but cool at the same time,” Josh replied.

“I can’t really even tell what it sounds like since it’s just like English to me,” the Parselmouth explained.

A knock on Alec’s door startled the occupants of the bedroom.

Severus entered and announced, “Your potions are ready.”

The three students jumped up and followed the Potions Master to the lab where their potions were simmering. All three were the exact color that they should be. They poured their cauldrons contents into a vial before sharing a look with each other, waiting to see who would be the first to drink it.

Alec sat down on the floor, so he wouldn’t fall when he entered the trance.

“Bottoms up,” Alec muttered as he downed his potion. Just before Alec entered the haze, he saw his friends down their potions as well. His father’s dark eyes watching him were the last thing he saw before the potion took effect.