Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Words in italics indicate thoughts. Words in quotations indicate spoken dialogue.
Chapter 10

Severus studied the Headmaster's expression as he pulled away from the Pensieve and slumped back in his chair. Albus lifted shaking hands to rub wearily at his face. Severus was secretly relieved to see signs of genuine shock and regret on the old wizard's visage.

"Dear Merlin!" Albus sighed, glancing at his four Heads of House with dismay. The usual twinkle had vanished from blue eyes now filled with sadness. "I never. . .I had no idea. . ." he shook his head in disbelief. "I. . .I knew the Dursleys were not the best sort, but it never occurred to me that they were this harsh!" He stared at each of them with a pleading apprehension, as if begging for their forgiveness.

"Of course you didn't," Minerva assured him automatically. "None of us believes you would intentionally place Harry in such misery. We assumed you weren't aware of the boy's predicament."

But you should have been. . . .you should have checked on the child, Albus. Snape kept his face impassive, careful not to reveal his thoughts.

"I did not expect excessive kindness from the Muggles, but I didn't anticipate such obvious neglect or malice," Albus mourned quietly. "I never suspected that Dursley was physically hurting the boy. How long has that been going on?"

"We don't know," Minerva replied stiffly. "Since Severus and Filius retrieved him, Harry has refused to speak of it, or answer any questions."

"He is still in shock," Severus responded to Albus' swift questioning glance in a cold, dispassionate tone. "It is common in such cases. He is ashamed and confused. Once he has recovered physically, I expect he will be willing to reveal the truth."

"I am thankful that Severus was here," Minerva commented. "With Poppy gone, he was the most qualified to tend Harry. He has been very helpful."

"Yes, indeed - it was fortunate that you returned from the Continent when you did, Severus," Albus gave him a approving half-smile. "I am grateful, Severus."

Severus shrugged, grimacing with distaste. "I had little choice in the matter," he confessed blandly. "You know how insistent Minerva can be." He gave her a sour scowl. "Once the boy's situation was discovered, I assumed you would wish me to intervene," he stared at Albus with frank reproach. "I may not be fond of the little prat, but he is a student here. I would have done the same for any student. I am not completely without principles, you know," he sniffed indignantly.

"Of course not," Albus agreed quickly. "You did exactly the right thing."

Severus shrugged again, appearing indifferent. "The thrashing did not concern me. . .Merlin knows the little monster probably deserved it," he silenced Sprout's and Minerva's attempted protests with a vicious glare. "It was the boy's physical condition that caught my attention. It was clear at a glance he was ill and underweight. At the time, I could think of no other course of action but to bring him here for medical attention. I assumed that is what you would have wished. I have done what I could, but he should probably be seen by a professional. My overall healing knowledge is limited to battle injuries. And even if I were so inclined, I cannot address Potter's emotional distress. I have neither the training or patience to comfort the obnoxious brat," he emphasized the word ‘comfort' with a derisive sneer. He scoffed at the collected glares of outrage from his colleagues. "I leave such coddling to those more inclined to it." He purposely ignored Minerva's sharp glance as she turned back to the Headmaster.

"Albus, what are we going to do?"

"Do?"

"About Harry," she snapped.

"Ah, yes," Albus nodded sorrowfully. "Poor boy. . .he has suffered woefully. . .it is clear we cannot let this continue."

"I should say not," Sprout huffed. "No child deserves to grow up in such a climate of hate and neglect! Where will you place him now?"

Albus clasped his hands together on the desk and stared pensively into space for several minutes. No one spoke, watching his passive face as he mulled over an answer to the crucial question. When he finally roused himself from his reverie, the Headmaster spoke lightly, avoiding direct eye contact with his staff. "For now, Harry should remain here. At least until Poppy returns and can assess his condition."

When he did not continue, Minerva prompted him warily. "And what then?"

"Well, he cannot stay here all summer, of course," Albus replied calmly. "Even if I were willing to contravene the school's regulations, the Ministry would never allow it."

"Why should the Ministry care?" Sprout frowned.

"The Ministry is deeply concerned with everything regarding the Boy-Who-Lived," Albus replied sardonically. His emphasis was clear to all present. They knew he referred to the ambitious Minster of Magic, Cornelius Fudge. "They would exploit any excuse to intervene in Harry's life. . .to gain control over his destiny. That is something we cannot allow. We can't defy Hogwart's Charter and give them an excuse to take custody of him."

"Do you think Fudge would attempt that?" Filius spoke up for the first time since their meeting began.

"I am certain of it. . .and if he did, there might be little we could do to stop him," Albus replied grimly. "He has, in fact, attempted to do that several times in the past."

"He has?" Minerva looked startled.

Albus nodded. "Three times since the Potters' deaths, Fudge has endeavored to make Harry a ward of the Ministry. He covets Harry's fame and wishes to utilize it to strengthen his own ambitions. Each time he has failed, for one reason only: because Harry has living blood kin - his aunt, Petunia Dursley. Despite Fudge's best efforts at bribing and influencing members of the Wizengamot, the Laws of Custody are incontrovertible. An orphaned wizard child must be placed with remaining blood kin, unless that custody is refused or legally proven to be unacceptable. The Minister cannot contest the Law - not even the Wizengamot can overrule it. That was one of the reasons I placed Harry with the Dursleys to begin with. The only other irrefutable legal guardians would have been his godparents." He eyed each of them dourly. "Sirius Black was named Harry's godfather."

Minerva gasped. "Oh, dear Merlin!"

"Exactly," Albus nodded grimly.

"Who is Harry's godmother?" Filius inquired curiously.

Albus sighed. "Alice Longbottom."

"Oh, dear," Sprout whimpered forlornly. "Poor thing!"

Severus sneered nastily to cover his surprise. He had never known about Potter's godparents. . . not even Lily had mentioned it.

"As a convicted criminal, Black was out of the question, of course. And poor Alice certainly couldn't take custody from the mental ward of St. Mungo's. . . Lily's sister was the only remaining choice."

"But now that we have proof that the aunt is unfit to be a guardian - what happens to Harry?" Sprout asked anxiously. "Can't we arrange custody with someone else? Surely someone better could be found!"

"Of course!" Minerva agreed.

"That is precisely the danger," Albus replied coolly. "If the Ministry learns that the Dursleys are unfit guardians, a new guardian would have to be assigned. Considering Harry's fame and future influence, I daresay half the Wizarding population would gladly apply. . .including those who harbor ill-will towards the child who defeated their leader. I have no doubt there are numerous pureblood families amongst Voldemort's former supporters who might apply for custody - supporters with enormous wealth and influence. Considering Fudge's weakness for corruption, he could easily insure that Harry goes to the highest bidder."

"But. . . but surely you could insure he goes to a proper home!" Sprout stammered, outraged. "Someone who would care for the boy, and love him! Merlin's Garters, Albus! Even one of us would make a better guardian than those Muggles. I, for one, would gladly raise Harry!"

"I know, Pomona!" Albus soothed gently. "As would I myself...I expect any one of us here would be glad to shelter the child." He ignored Severus' revolted glare. "But not even I have enough influence to guarantee that someone of our choice was selected. It would be a dreadful risk - if I failed, it could leave poor Harry at the mercy of his worst enemies. It is simply not a risk I am prepared to take!"

"Then what can we do?" Minerva demanded.

Albus sighed, a grimace of deep reluctance shadowing his face. "We have no choice. When he is sufficiently recovered, Harry must return to the Dursleys."

"WHAT!!"

Albus cringed visibly at the collected shouts and growls of outrage from three of his Heads of House. Only Severus remained silent, observing the scene with inscrutable detachment. He watched the Headmaster mutely allow his staff's strident objections and protests to wash over him. Although the old wizard's Occlumency shields were far too strong to penetrate, Severus' powers of observation were supremely acute. Behind the Headmaster's resigned expression, Severus sensed a calculated determination he had not noticed before, and he examined it with keen interest. After several minutes, Albus spoke again with remarkable calm.

"As long as the Dursleys remain Harry's guardians, there is no risk of legal or political interference," Albus insisted firmly. "But this is not the only reason for my decision. You all know the construction of the wards that protect Harry at the Dursleys. The blood wards based on Lily's sacrifice are the only. . . .I repeat, ONLY impenetrable protection the child has. I regret to say even Hogwarts is not as safe for the boy as those wards. I cannot remove Harry from their protection."

"But surely there are other measures..." Minerva whined.

"No other measures I could employ are as foolproof and certain," Albus insisted. "I dare not place him anywhere but within the protection of those wards."

"What good are wards, if the child is threatened within them?" Filius demanded acerbically. "If the uncle's violence towards the boy escalates, it won't matter if former Death Eaters can't reach him - his own guardians could murder the boy!"

"I do not think there is any risk of that," Albus objected huffily. "Dursley may be malicious, but we have no evidence he is homicidal!"

"And what if you're wrong?" Minerva spat. "You assume that Muggle won't kill Harry! But you assumed he wouldn't abuse him, either! You were wrong once. Are you willing to risk the child's life on your assumptions?"

"Of course not!" Albus snapped impatiently. "I do learn from my mistakes, Minerva. I won't leave Harry's safety to chance again. I will make certain the unkindness does not continue."

"Unkindness!" Sprout sputtered. "You speak as if those Muggles merely insulted the child! We are talking about abuse, Headmaster!"

"I know what we are talking about, Pomona," Albus replied with a hint of irritation. "I did not mean to minimize the boy's mistreatment. I assure you, I have every intention of protecting Harry from any future abuse. My point is, it is safer to correct the situation he is in, than to risk moving him. "

"Headmaster," Minerva interjected sternly. "I must officially protest this decision. I cannot, in good conscience, approve returning that child to a home where he has been so callously ill-treated."

"Your objection is noted, Minerva," Albus replied evenly. Beneath his calm, Severus recognized the glint of unshakeable resolve. It was clear further objections were futile. He made a swift decision, joining the argument for the first time.

"Under the circumstances, I think perhaps the Headmaster is right," Severus said. Minerva gaped at him. Sprout and Flitwick looked shocked. "After all, the blood wards are Potter's best defense against attack. He is safest in the Muggles' home."

"Severus! Are you mad? You saw how they treated the boy!" Minerva sputtered furiously. She stared at him as if he had lost his mind.

"Yes - and although I don't approve of their actions, I think the Headmaster is correct. There is no need to respond hysterically."

"Hysterically?" Sprout squeaked furiously.

"It's not as if they have gravely injured the boy, after all. I don't deny that Muggle lout was overly harsh in his discipline, but it was mostly likely out of sheer ignorance. They clearly have no idea how to raise a child. . . Potter's cousin - that spoiled lump of a son - is further evidence of their idiocy. Those moronic cretins overindulge one boy while neglecting the other," he spat with clear disgust. "However, Potter's lived there for eleven years without serious harm. I see no reason why he cannot return there, under the proper supervision of course."

He ignored his colleagues astonished stares and turned to Dumbledore. "Headmaster - if I might make a suggestion?"

Albus nodded, clearly pleased by Snape's sudden support.

"If you truly feel that Potter must remain with the Muggles for protection from his enemies, I would be more than happy to return the boy to his home - and have a little ‘chat' with the Muggles," Severus suggested with an evil smirk. "I believe I can persuade them to change their treatment of Potter," he raised a hand to halt Minerva's protest. "And just to be certain that they do, Professor McGonagall could continue her monitoring of the boy. I'm not suggesting around the clock surveillance, of course - the staff doesn't have time to watch him constantly, and I hardly think that will be necessary. But monitoring could be coordinated through the Squib. If we insist that the Dursleys allow Harry to check in daily with Mrs. Figg to report on his treatment, that should be sufficient to keep them in line. Figg could, in turn, report on Potter's status to Professor McGonagall, which I am sure will alleviate any undue concerns about him."

"A very sound and rational solution, Severus," Albus agreed happily.

"You must be joking, Severus!" Minerva snapped. "How can you even think of taking the boy back there!"

"While I don't approve of the Muggles' previous conduct, I hardly think there is any reason to overreact," Severus replied coolly. "I will insist that the Muggles change their treatment of him." He ticked off conditions on his fingers with composed restraint. "He must be fed properly - withholding food cannot continue. And while a few chores can only be good for the boy - it might keep him out of trouble to keep him busy - it is dishonorable to treat a wizard child like a house elf. I will insist they limit such chores to an hour or two daily. They won't be allowed to lock him up - nor to refuse him access to his school books and supplies. And naturally I will make certain that they do not raise a hand to the boy again. Though I personally have no objections to corporal punishment when judiciously applied, the Muggles clearly indulge in it merely for their own sadistic pleasure. I will prohibit them from doing so in the future."

"What if the Dursleys ignore your restrictions?" Sprout demanded.

"I will see to it that they cannot," Severus retorted with a chilling gleam in his eyes. "I will tell the Muggles that I have put a spell on the family. Any mistreatment of Harry will instantly be inflicted on the Dursley boy. If they starve or beat Harry - the Dursley boy will magically suffer the same fate. That should discourage any further mistreatment, I think."

"Is there such a spell?" Flitwick asked dubiously.

Severus shrugged, smirking evilly. "I don't know. . .but I don't actually have to cast it, do I? I only have to convince the Dursleys that I have done so."

"Headmaster, I still do not agree with this course of action," Minerva insisted angrily. She glared at Severus, who sneered in return.

"I understand your concerns," Albus replied soothingly. "However I fear I must overrule all dissent at this time. We will do as Severus suggests to insure Harry's safety."

Sprout opened her mouth to object, but was swiftly silenced by a furtive glance from Minerva. Flitwick remained silent.

"There is one point I feel I must make, however," Severus stated haughtily. "I think it best that we do not inform Potter of this decision just yet. He is still recovering from his illness, and any unnecessary worry or concern will hinder his recovery. I request that any mention of the Dursleys be postponed until we are ready to return him there."

"If you feel that is best," Albus conceded generously. The twinkle in his eyes had returned with the belief that he had achieved victory.

"I do," Severus sniffed. "I have spent considerable time and effort healing the boy. I don't wish my efforts wasted by an unnecessary episode of histrionics. I believe you said Madame Pomfrey will return on Saturday, Headmaster?"

"Yes, I believe so."

"Good. She can examine him when she arrives. If she feels he is sufficiently healed, then you can speak with him and I will return him to Surrey myself. With the proper management of the Dursleys' behavior, I believe the boy's safety can be assured without taking drastic measures," Severus said, ignoring the unhappy expressions on the faces of his colleagues.

He continued smoothly, revealing his ultimate bombshell in an offhand manner, as if it were a trifling matter. "If this strategy fails, then we can always revisit the issue and decide whether to take other action. If despite our efforts it becomes necessary to remove the boy permanently from the Muggles' care, then we will. We have already taken steps to insure that we can legally do so."

"Steps?" Albus stared at him uneasily.

"Yes, Headmaster. Considering our history of conflict with the Ministry, I wanted to make certain that we could prove mistreatment if need be. So I took the liberty of suggesting that we all create and safeguard legal depositions. Those depositions include all the details of neglect and abuse we uncovered, including Pensieve memories of everything each of us witnessed. My own includes my scan of the boy's physical condition when I brought him to Hogwarts. We each filed one copy of our depositions with our personal attorneys, in the unlikely event something should happen to one of us. We also placed another copy in secure locations: I placed one in my Gringotts vault. Should the need arise, there will be irrefutable evidence of Potter's mistreatment at the hands of his relatives."

There was a stunned silence for several moments. Dumbledore looked thunderstruck. Fury, frustration, and a touch of panic flashed across his normally inscrutable face before the mask slammed down again. He smiled at Severus with adroitly disguised vehemence. "That was very thorough of you," he said, his tone falsely pleasant.

"Thank you, Headmaster. I was sure you would wish us to take every precaution," Severus replied smugly. "You can be certain that the evidence is secure and cannot be tampered with."

"I doubt very much if such extreme measures were necessary," Albus said stiffly.

"Perhaps not, Headmaster," Severus shrugged. "But it could not hurt to be cautious, could it?"

"I'm not sure I can agree - it is rather risky, don't you think? If this information should fall into the wrong hands.." the Headmaster protested with mild desperation, clearly trying to salvage some control over the situation.

"We'll just have to make certain it doesn't, Albus," Minerva replied determinedly.

"I believe it was worth the risk, Headmaster. At least this way, if anything should happen to any of us, the evidence will still be secure." Severus allowed the faint threat in his words to sink in briefly. "Now, if that is all, I must excuse myself. I left Potter in the care of a house elf, but I dare not leave him too long. The brat has an infuriating talent for mischief. Even under the watchful eye of Roker, I do not trust him to stay out of trouble. If you will excuse me?" Without waiting for permission, Severus swept disdainfully from the room. The other professors slowly followed him, leaving a thoroughly stunned and disturbed headmaster staring after them.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Minerva couldn't resist making a visit to the Infirmary. She had no doubt that Albus would be aware of her movements, but knew the Headmaster could hardly object to Harry's Head of House checking up on him. When she arrived, Severus was bent over the boy, running a diagnostic scan. Minerva waited until his scan was done, then smiled at Harry in reassurance. "How are you feeling, Harry?"

"I'm fine, Professor," the boy replied quietly, a slight pout on his lips. "I don't hurt anymore and I feel plenty strong, but Professor Snape won't let me get up," he complained mildly.

"Your fever is gone but you are still slightly dehydrated," Severus scowled at him. The boy's resentful glance sent a twinge of guilt through his chest. He sighed in frustration. "If you behave yourself, eat a proper lunch, and take a nap after - and if your temperature remains normal - I'll permit a short walk on the grounds this afternoon," he conceded gruffly. "A supervised walk, mind you - and only if you behave!"

"I will!" Harry grinned happily. "I promise."

"Hrmmph," Severus snorted, fighting an answering smile to the boy's obvious delight. "We will see."

Minerva smiled down at the boy. He shyly returned her smile, but there were shadows in the unguarded green eyes. "I am so glad you are feeling better, Harry," she said.

"Thank you, M'am," Harry turned away, gazing forlornly out the nearby windows.

Minerva patted his arm gently, and gave the Potions Master a sharp look. He nodded and ambled back to Poppy's office, Minerva following him. When she closed the door, Severus flicked his wand to construct a privacy shield. He glanced at the antiquated portrait of a fourteenth century Healer over Poppy's desk and scowled. with quick movements, he conjured a heavy black cloth and draped it over the painting. An offended mutter signaled the Healer's outrage. Minerva quirked an eyebrow at the Potions Master and Severus shrugged sullenly.

Minerva dropped into one of the vacant chairs. "Well that was disappointing," she remarked sarcastically. She glanced at the dour Potions Master. "I'm glad you warned us about your little ‘act'. . .I wanted to smack you silly when you took Albus' side." She sighed heavily. "Oh, Severus! What are we going to do?"

"We are going to follow the Headmaster's instructions."

"What?" she gaped at him.

"I will do exactly as I have indicated," Severus replied smoothly. "Once Poppy has examined and released Potter, I will take him back to Surrey. Three times a week, for the rest of the summer holiday, you will interview Mrs. Figg to inquire after Potter's health. She will report to you, and you will in turn report to Albus, assuring him that the boy is safe and healthy, and not suffering from any mistreatment."

"You don't actually believe your ridiculous plan will work, do you?" Minerva snarled. "Even if you convince the Muggles to properly care for the boy - even if you Confound them to control their actions - you cannot change their animosity! They loathe and resent the child! Merlin only knows what emotional damage that boy has suffered already - how can you even think of letting him stay in such an atmosphere of fear and hate??"

"I never said I would," Severus replied smugly. Minerva blinked at him in confusion. Severus leaned forward, a sharp-edged gleam in his dark eyes. "I said I would take the boy to Surrey. . .I never said I would leave him there."

Minerva forced herself to close her gaping mouth and stared at him, her catlike eyes narrowing suspiciously. "What are you scheming, Severus?"

Severus leaned back in Poppy's desk chair with a mild smirk. "I will take Potter back to Privet Drive - accompanied by Filius, if he agrees. Once we arrive, either you or Pomona will distract Albus for a reasonable length of time. During that time, I will ask Filius to perform some very sophisticated and complex memory charms on the Muggles, and on Mrs. Figg as well. We will also take steps to insure that any tracking charms Albus may have placed on Harry, will confirm that he is safely behind the wards at Privet Drive. Then Filius will return to Hogwarts, and I will disappear with Potter."

"Disappear?"

"I will take the boy to a safe location, and take care of him until the new term begins and he returns to Hogwarts."

Minerva gawked at him in astonishment. "You?! Keep Harry?!"

Severus scowled indignantly. "Certainly. Do you doubt my ability to safeguard him?"

"Of course not,' Minerva waved a hand dismissively. "I can't think of anyone better able to protect him from danger. . . but to care for him? What. . . .how. . . ?" she shook her head in bemusement. "I'm not saying it isn't a workable idea, Severus, but really. . .do you have any idea how to care for a twelve-year-old boy?"

"I am a teacher and the Head of my House, Minerva," Severus snapped resentfully. "I do have some experience with children."

"It's not exactly the same thing, Severus," Minerva began hesitantly. "I mean, you will be caring for the boy day and night. . . you won't be able to send him off to his tower and disappear into your lab for hours on end!"

"I think I can manage, Minerva," Severus huffed. "At the very least, I can keep him safe. I can insure that he is properly fed and clothed; that he is healthy; that he is housed in suitable surroundings with a decent place to sleep! That alone is far more than his relatives accomplished!"

"I have no doubt you would provide for him, Severus. But Harry will need a bit more than just food and clothing and a roof over his head. He'll need activities to occupy his time, and considering his current state, he will need emotional support as well."

"I am very well aware of his needs, Minerva," Severus snapped. "And I will see to it that all of those needs are met. I am perfectly capable of caring for Mr. Potter, I can assure you! Frankly, I resent your obvious misgivings! Do you truly believe me so incompetent?"

"Of course not! I'm sorry, Severus," Minerva said contritely. "I didn't mean to imply. . . of course I know you are capable of caring for the boy. I'm just surprised you are so...well, willing."

Severus scowled at her. "I have my reasons. . . they don't concern you."

"All right, Severus. I understand," she soothed. She ignored his affronted glare and continued with her questions. "Where do you plan to hide him? And how do you plan to keep his ‘disappearance' hidden from Albus?"

"I have access to an appropriate location that no one - not even the Headmaster knows about. It is quite safe, I assure you. . .safer even than Hogwarts. As for Albus. . . he will not discover Potter's absence because he will not be looking for it. You will be reporting regularly to him that Potter is safe in Surrey. Filius and I will make certain he has no reason to believe otherwise."

"What about your absence? How do you expect to explain that?"

"Albus has assigned me an extended mission on the Continent. He will assume that is where I am. I will send him periodic reports on my progress. He'll never know my true undertaking."

"But what about the mission itself? How will you. . .?"

"I can handle the mission. . . there are other ways to accomplish what I must. . . you needn't concern yourself with that."

"Where will you take Harry?"

Severus shook his head. "It is best if I don't divulge that, Minerva. We can take steps to keep Albus from learning of this, but there is always a chance of accidental disclosure. For the boy's safety, I will tell no one of his location."

"I'm not sure that is wise, Severus. What if something happened to you? No one would know where the boy is."

"I have thought of that. I will take certain precautions to insure that he can be found in the event of such an emergency," Severus smirked ironically at her. "Don't fear, Minerva. You forget I was a very skillful spy. . .I wouldn't still be alive if I weren't. If I can deceive the Dark Lord, who is the ultimate epitome of paranoia. . . .surely you can trust me to mislead Albus, who will have no reason to suspect any ruse."

Minerva grinned wryly. "Aye. . . if anyone could pull this off, I suppose it would be you." Her smile faded and she frowned worriedly. "Do you really think this will work, Severus?"

"It is only for a few weeks, Minerva."

"Yes - but that's part of my concern. It is only a temporary solution. Even after Harry returns safely to Hogwarts, those horrible Muggles will still have legal guardianship over him. What do we do in future? How do we keep him out of their hands permanently?"

"I don't know. Perhaps by then we can convince Albus. . . ." Severus shook his head grimly. "I can't predict the future. Let's worry about the present for now. We can discuss other options later. . .if this plan succeeds."

"I suppose you're right," Minerva sighed. "What about Filius and Pomona?"

"I will need Filius to help cover my tracks. I don't know about Pomona. The safest option would be to limit knowledge of this to you and I alone. . .I may be forced to ask the others to allow me to remove any knowledge of this from their memories..." he rubbed his chin pensively, ignoring Minerva's frown of disapproval. "I think we need to arrange a private meeting with our co-conspirators. I will outline my plan in more detail, and we can discuss our options." He glanced back at the covered portrait behind him. "It would be best if we did this outside the grounds. Even with precautions, I don't like discussing this while Albus is at Hogwarts. Who knows what methods unknown to us, he may employ to keep track of his staff's movements."

Minerva nodded and stood. "I agree. I'll organize a meeting in a safe location and get back with you. When do you wish to meet?"

"As soon as possible. We haven't much time. . .three days minimum - maybe four, if Poppy keeps Potter in the Infirmary another day. We'll have to work fast."

"Very well. You stay with Harry. I'll return in a few hours with tea. . .and details of our arrangements." She halted by the door and gave him a piercing stare. "You realize the risk you take, Severus? Albus will not be pleased if he discovers your interference."

Severus shrugged. "I am well aware of the hazards, Minerva." He gazed up at her with an odd intensity behind his glittering black eyes. "I never wanted to oppose Albus, Minerva. It is a shabby act of betrayal to offer the man who saved my life and granted me a path to redemption." He sighed heavily. "But neither can I abandon the boy. I have sworn to safeguard him." He shrugged, smirking ironically. "Even Albus made me vow to protect Potter. . . . it is something I must do - even if it means protecting him against Albus himself. I doubt the Headmaster meant for me to interpret it that way, but I have no other choice. I don't know why he feels the Dursleys are the only option. . .I only know I believe he is wrong. I won't allow the boy to return there. . .even if it means risking everything."

Minerva granted him a small knowing smile. "Thank you, Severus," she said quietly. "You may be an obnoxious prat at times, but you are one of the most honorable men I have ever known."

Severus grimaced, a faint hint of color darkening his pale cheeks. "There is no need to become maudlin, Minerva," he grumbled uncomfortably.

Minerva laughed. "Perhaps not. . .but I confess it amuses me to do so...you are so very sweet when you blush, Severus."

She ignored his angry growl of embarrassment and sailed out of the office on a wave of smug satisfaction.