Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Good Friend

After waiting and worrying for a while, they heard the door to the Hospital Wing being opened, and Severus arrived with the Potion, helped Harry to sit up and drink the whole phial.

After a few waves of her wand Poppy said, “Thank you Severus. He is much better, his temperature is still very high, but much better than before and his pulse is nearly back to normal. I will keep him here until he is completely recovered, which might be tomorrow or which might take a few days. Please let him rest now.”

Minerva glanced gratefully at Severus and said, “100 points to Slytherin for saving the life of a class mate”.

Severus blushed and nodded, “Thank you Professor.”

“Now please come to my office all of you. You owe Minerva and me a few explanations Gentlemen,” Poppy said sternly and added, as soon as they arrived in her office “Headmaster what did you think about taking children to a basilisk? How can you endanger your students like this?”

“That is exactly what I want to know,” Minerva agreed angrily, before her husband and Severus could tell them the whole story.

Harry was asleep for three days and was finally released from the Hospital Wing after two more days under the condition that he should take it easy for a few days, which according to Poppy meant no Quidditch and no running around the corridors. The Marauders, who in this timeline apart from Harry consisted of James, Sirius, Remus, Severus and Lily, spent every free minute with Harry and filled him in about their research regarding the corridors of Hogwarts. While Harry had been asleep, Severus had conducted several tests with powdered basilisk venom but had not come to any conclusions so far. On Saturday morning, just before Harry was allowed to leave, Dumbledore strayed into the wing to speak to Harry.

“Harry, I’d like to speak to you. Have you already had breakfast?”

“No, I thought I’d be allowed to leave in time for breakfast.”

“If that is so, let’s have breakfast together in my office. Poppy, may he leave?”

“Yes, you may go, Harry, don’t do anything strenuous for a few days, and don’t skip meals. I don’t want to see you here again before the Easter holidays.”

“Don’t worry, I don’t want to see you either,” mumbled Harry and said aloud,

“Thank you Madam Pomfrey.”

-----

They went up to the Headmaster’s Office, where Dumbledore told Harry, that Moody had talked to the head of the Aurors about the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets and that Hagrid had been granted a trial which would take place on Monday.

“Now Harry, do you have any memories of Voldemort telling you that he had opened the chamber, which could be used at the trial?”

Harry thought for a while and answered, “Yes, I think so. May I burrow your pensive?” He put a few memories which didn’t reveal anything about having occurred in the future into the pensive and thought about what else he might be able to do for Hagrid while Dumbledore was watching his memories.

“Very good Harry. That will do; the only problem is that we will have to explain where you come from in order to clarify where and when this might have taken place. So we will have to be careful to obliviate anyone who leaves the room.”

“Could we perhaps take Professor Flitwick with us for that purpose? If anyone is good at memory charms it must be him, and as he doesn’t have to say anything during the trial he could fully concentrate on this.”

“That’s a very good idea Harry. I will talk to him at lunchtime. By the way, we should have breakfast.”

At this moment, McGonagall entered the room. “Why are you having breakfast here and not in the Great Hall?”

“Yes Minerva, we will have breakfast this minute. Twinkle! Could you bring breakfast for Harry and me, and tea for Minerva please? Now, Min, I had to discuss something with Harry concerning Hagrid’s trial. He has put memories in the pensive which show clearly that Hagrid is innocent, even regardless of the fact that he cannot even open the chamber.”

“That’s very good. Hagrid has earned better, and I’ll be very happy to teach him privately if he wants to learn for his OWLs and NEWTs.”

“You know, Professor, in my time you have engaged him as Professor for Care of Magical Creatures, and he made a very good one.”

“Thanks Harry, I think I will hire him as soon as our teacher retires. I will try to do the same with Severus by the way. As soon as Professor Slughorn retires, Severus can have the job, don’t you agree Minerva?”

“I agree fully Albus. But now eat your breakfast please, both of you.”

When the two teachers dismissed him, he asked hesitantly, “Hagrid knows about where I come from, doesn’t he?”

“Yes Harry, he knows,” McGonagall answered. “Do you want to talk to him?”

Harry smiled. “Yes, I would like that very much. Thank you. Bye.” He took a short detour via his dormitory to pick up his pensive and then went straight to Hagrid’s hut.

-----

“Hi Harry. Interesting story Dumbledore told me about you” Hagrid said and beamed at him.

“I don’t know how much he told you, but I just wanted to tell you my version of things. I would like to tell you how we met, that you were the first friend I ever had, and that it was you who gave me my first birthday present and baked the first birthday cake for me.” He put his memory into the Pensieve and invited Hagrid to watch together.

When they came out of the memory, Hagrid was stunned. “So we are really close in your time, aren’t we?”

“Yes, and Dumbledore hires you as Care Of Magical Creatures teacher, and you are a really good one. I have changed the future so much since I have come here, so I don’t know what will really happen, but I hope Dumbledore will at least remember to do so again.” He smiled mischievously. “Anyway we will meet on Monday for the trial. I’m very glad you get one, because in my time you were still using your umbrella as a wand, and they even put you into Azkaban when the Chamber of Secrets was opened again. But as I have changed the future and already killed Voldemort, you have nothing to fear, and we have a memory that clearly shows your innocence, so don’t worry, everything will be fine. Bye for now Hagrid.”

“Bye, Harry, and thanks a lot!”

-----

On the day of the trial, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Hagrid and Harry floo-ed directly from the Headmaster’s Office to the ministry. The trial took place in a small courtroom under exclusion of the public. Moody had arranged for the trial to be held with as few people involved as possible.

As Harry was the most important witness, he was called up immediately. When he was asked his name and birthday, everyone who didn’t already know who he was, gasped. As he feared people would not believe that he came from the future, Harry proposed to be questioned under Veritaserum, so he was given just one drop of Veritaserum before he was further questioned.

“When did you first meet Hagrid?”

“On my 11th birthday. He came to explain to me about Hogwarts and took me to buy my supplies.”

“Did he open the Chamber of Secrets 30 years ago and cause the death of a student?”

“No.”

“How can you know that? You were not even alive at that time.”

“No, but Voldemort as Tom Riddle told me in my 2nd year at Hogwarts, that Hagrid was innocent.”

“Who then opened the chamber?”

“Tom Riddle.”

“Why do you know that?”

“He told me at the same time. You can watch my memory in the pensive if you wish.”

His memory was self explanatory, and Hagrid was judged to be innocent and was given permission to receive a new wand, as his had been snapped thirty years ago, and was granted 50 thousand gallons as compensation for the misjudgement which had taken place thirty years ago. Harry beamed at his friend – ‘How good that I came to the past,’ he thought once more.

“Headmaster, Harry, thank you!” Hagrid just managed to say before starting to cry big tears.

“You are very welcome Hagrid” Harry beamed at him.

“Headmaster, may I take Harry to Diagon Alley for an ice cream?”

“Of course Hagrid, you may. Harry is excused from all classes today,” Dumbledore replied gently, smiled at both of them.

“Cool,” was all Harry could say before he had to struggle out of a huge hug in Hagrid’s big arms.

After having the biggest ice cream sold at Fortesque’s ice cream parlour, they went to buy a new wand for Hagrid. They spent the whole afternoon in Diagon Alley, and especially Harry enjoyed it very much. He felt as free as he hadn’t felt in a long time. In the past (future), he couldn’t go out unless a bunch of Order members were accompanying him, and after Voldemort’s demise he had spent all the time either in the Hospital Wing or being grounded by his over protective Great Grandmother. He hadn’t even been able to go to Hogsmeade since then. They only intended to return to Hogwarts in time for dinner.

Suddenly Hagrid embraced him fiercely, and Harry felt he couldn’t breathe anymore and was overcome by dizziness. The next thing he knew was that they were walking up the street from Hogsmeade to Hogwarts.

“Wow, Hagrid, your grip is too strong. I could hardly breathe,” Harry complained and continued to walk.

“You’re just in time Harry,” James beamed at him, when he sat down for dinner. “Don’t forget we’ve Quidditch training after dinner!”

Harry only replied tiredly, “Yes James” ignoring the dirty look Lily threw at his father and forgetting that he wasn’t allowed to play Quidditch at all.

-----

After the trial was over and the basilisk had been vanquished, Harry decided to use the next weeks to concentrate once more on his studies and on the research of the floo powder. He also wanted to resume his studies with his Great Grandfather about wandless magic.

One day at breakfast Harry nearly fell from his chair startled, when Severus spoke to him from behind.

“Harry, do you have time to meet me in the Room of Requirement after breakfast?”

“Of course Severus,” Harry said and beamed at his best friend. “Sorry Lily, I will come to the common room to do homework as soon as I can.”

“Don’t worry,” James laughed at him. “I will take care of Lily for you”, he said, and everyone laughed. Harry didn’t even notice the dirty look Severus gave James – only Lily saw it and smiled happily.

They met in the Room of Requirement AKA private Potions lab, and Severus told Harry, “I have run a lot of tests, and I think we need two more ingredients which we need help with. One is unicorn’s horn, and the other house elf hair. Do you have an idea whom we could ask about that? Your Great Grandfather?”

“Unicorn’s horn we can ask Hagrid about. He knows about me anyway, so it’ll be easy to ask him. About house elf hair, we could just ask my Great Grandfather. Shall we go and ask both of them now?”

-----

First, they went to the Headmaster’s Office.

“Professor, for the Potion, you know which one, I would like to try house elf hair, but it has to be freely given. Do you have any idea whom we could ask about it?”

Dumbledore smiled fondly at his two boys. “That should not be a problem, let’s ask Twinkle first. Twinkle!”

“Yes Professor, what can I do for you and Mr. Pane and Mr. Snape?”

“Twinkle, Severus and Harry are trying to invent a Potion which is very important for Harry. But for this Potion they need house elf hair which is freely given. Do you think…” Twinkle did not wait for the professor to speak further. She beamed with joy.

“Yes, professors, masters. Twinkle would like to give her hair for your Potion, no problem. Twinkle can make her hair longer if you need more, no problem at all.”

“That is very reassuring Twinkle, thank you very much. Severus would you like to have some immediately? If yes, how much do you need?”

“I would appreciate that very much. Thank you very much Twinkle. For the moment, we don’t need much, as we are only trying a Potion out. But if it really works, we will need quite a lot I’m afraid.”

“Thanks a lot, Twinkle,” Harry interrupted. “So this problem is solved. Another thing, Granddad, is unicorn horn. Do you think Hagrid could help us with that?”

Dumbledore nodded. “If anyone is able to get unicorn horn for you, it will be Hagrid. And I can imagine he would do anything for you Harry, as he owes you for his freedom.”

Harry shook his head. “He doesn’t owe me anything, Professor. But we will go and ask him. Thank you for your help.”

“You are very welcome my boys. Can I assume that you are progressing successfully with your Potion?”

Harry groaned. Severus threw him a questioning glance and answered, “Yes professor, we will need a few more weeks, but we’ll probably be able to manage.”

“We?” Harry shouted. “YOU! I’m not doing anything. Granddad, I’m sorry, I’m too much of a dunderhead at Potions, and I can’t do anything about it. Severus is doing the whole work alone. I’m only reading book after book but don’t come to anything.”

“NO!” Severus contradicted vehemently. “That’s not true. Who went to kill a Basilisk in order for me to get the ingredients? Who took me here to get the house elf hair? And who will accompany me to Hagrid to ask for the unicorn horn? YOU!”

“That’s easy. Everyone could do it.”

“Of course. How many Basilisks do you think the other students have already vanquished in their lives? 1? 2? 30?”

“All right my boys, calm down. Each one of you is good at doing your parts, Harry is good at Defence and Transfiguration, and Severus is brilliant at Potions. But remember… when you work together as you have been doing so far for the whole year, you are brilliant at nearly everything, it doesn’t matter which of you fulfils what part of the deal, the main point is that you can do brilliant work together. Don’t forget that.”

-----

Hagrid told them it could be difficult to get unicorn horn, because he couldn’t actually communicate with them, but Harry had an idea.

“Severus, Hagrid, do you think a stag would be able to communicate with a unicorn?”

Severus only shrugged helplessly, but Hagrid thought for a while before he said hesitantly, “I don’t know, but it could be. Do you think of James Potter, or why has it to be a stag?”

“Yes, I thought of James. I will ask him at lunch – oh shit, we’re late! Severus, lunch has started 15 minutes ago! What am I going to do?”

“Oi Harry, take it easy, you won’t starve,” Hagrid tried to calm the now hyperventilating boy. “What is wrong with him?” he asked Severus.

Severus sneered and said, “When he manages to skip a meal, he has to show himself in the Hospital to get a Potion and a check-up by Pomfrey, and he hates it because she often finds a reason to keep him.”

-----

“Severus, let’s run, Hagrid, sorry, we have to go, I’ll ask James and come again later. Bye.” With that he started to run and didn’t stop until he reached the entrance doors where he waited for Severus who was shortly behind him.

“I don’t know if it will be reasonable to go in there now after running like this. Won’t it be better to ask her for the Potion?”

“NO!” Harry shouted and ran into the Great Hall, directly in the direction of the Gryffindor table. As he dared not look at the Head Table, he couldn’t see the upset looks following him to his seat. He managed to eat exactly two bites before all plates were cleared from the table. He didn’t mind, because he wasn’t hungry anyway; he was still trying to catch his breath.

“James, wait. I have to ask you something.”

Lily interrupted him “Harry, what’s wrong? You’re wheezing horribly.”

“It’s okay Lily, I’m fine, I just had to run here up from Hagrid’s hut, in order to reach lunch in time.”

“In time you call that?” Sirius laughed. “Is that why McGonagall and Pomfrey threw these dirty looks at you?”

“Did they?” Harry was horrified. “Anyway, James, what I was going to ask… When you are prongs, do you think you will be able to talk to unicorns?”

James was stunned. “What kind of question is that? Why should I communicate with unicorns?”

“Because I need unicorn horn for a very important Potion. We went to Hagrid to ask him if he could get it for me, but he said he wasn’t able to communicate to them. So Harry had the idea that maybe you could…” Severus joined the conversation.

“I don’t know, but I can try. Shall we go to Hagrid immediately? Then he could take us to meet a unicorn.”

“That would be great, James, thank you,” Severus and Harry nodded.

“Mr. Pane!”

Harry groaned and closed his eyes. He had still problems to breathe.

“What do you think you are doing? Do you think arriving two minutes before the end of lunch saves you from having missed lunch?” The angry voice of this Grandmother reached his ear.

“Sorry, Granny, we had to visit Hagrid for a Potions ingredient, and suddenly we were late, but we couldn’t manage faster, I could have flashed us here but I forgot, sorry, didn’t mean to.” His voice could hardly be heard, he was getting trouble breathing again.

“I think he needs a calming draught Professor,” Severus spoke up. “He started hyperventilating when he noticed we were late for lunch.” He took a phial out of the pocket of his robe and handed it to the teacher.

“Do you always carry Potions around?” she asked curiously.

“Yes Professor, but the most often used Healing Potions only, especially as Harry gets sick so often,” he said smirking.

“Harry, can you drink this for me? Severus made you a calming draught,” McGonagall asked and Harry downed the Potion without protest. He felt a little better.

“May we go now Professor?” She sighed.

“Yes Harry, you may, but I want you to meet me at the Hospital Wing at 9:30 tonight for your nutrient Potion.” Harry groaned but nodded.

-----

“Alright James, Severus, let’s go. Lily, Sirius, Remus, are you coming too?”

In the end, they went all together with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest to search for a unicorn. Finally, after walking for about an hour they found a herd of unicorns. Hagrid motioned for them to stay away and sit down somewhere quietly. Harry, who had been feeling a little under the weather ever since lunchtime, was glad for the break. James transformed into Prongs and followed Severus and Hagrid who went slowly as not to startle the animals and to try to talk to one of them. The unicorns knew Hagrid was a friend, so they didn’t run away and even stood to listen when James tried to talk to them. After he had translated everything Severus told him, the unicorns agreed to give quite a lot of unicorn horn to them, much more than they would need for the Potion.

After they had returned to the castle, Severus pulled Harry down to the Potions classroom immediately.

“Harry, I think we nearly have it. I know the ingredients it should work with, we only have to try several times, because I don’t know yet the necessary quantity of each of the ingredients. Today we will make five different Potions at the same time, each of them with slightly different quantities. Can you help me?”

“Of course, you just have to tell me what to do.”

They made the five Potions; Harry prepared the ingredients while Severus was busy taking notes on each step of each Potion. Afterwards Severus compared his notes and started five new Potions, again taking notes on all of them.

-----

“Harry!”

“Hmm?”

“You’re so quiet, what’s wrong with you?”

“Just don’t want to disturb you.”

“Really? You don’t look well.”

“My chest has been hurting ever since lunch time. Can I go back to my dormitory?”

“Of course Harry, go to bed. Or maybe I should take you to see the dragon?”

Harry nodded sadly and Severus looked at him astonished. Harry must feel quite bad if he would go to the dragon willingly. He quickly tidied up the Potions classroom and pulled Harry up to the Hospital Wing, where Harry quietly sat down and waited for Severus to get Madam Pomfrey.

She came immediately and eyed him suspiciously. “What are you doing here? I didn’t expect you so early.”

“He is not feeling well, so I brought him here,” Severus answered for Harry. He told her what had happened at lunchtime and that Harry said he hadn’t felt well after that.

Pomfrey waved her wand over Harry thinking that it must be very bad if he came by his own free will. “Yes, he has a respiratory infection, which is quite bad. Make yourself comfortable Harry, you have to stay here.”

Harry only nodded.

“When you go to dinner, which will start in five minutes, please tell Professor McGonagall that Harry is here. He will have to rest today, but you may visit him tomorrow.”

Later that evening Harry heard something talking in Parseltongue. It came from the floor next to his bed. He looked down…