Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Order of the Phoenix

He noticed that Voldemort was very angry, probably because of the unsuccessful attack during the night. Soon he was drawn into another vision.

“My most faithful servants of my inner circle,” he was surrounded by Death Eaters, “the time has come to question, if you are really as faithful as I always believe. How could the Aurors have known about our plans to put a show for the world upon Diagon Alley? I only can imagine one reason – we must have a spy in our midst!”

The Death Eaters fell to their knees. One of them, whom Harry could not recognize because he was wearing a hood, spoke up, “My Lord, I do not know how the Aurors could know about your plans, but I cannot imagine a spy here in your inner circle. Maybe one of the others left earlier yesterday after you announced the attack. He would have time enough to warn the Aurors.”

“Impossible, Malfoy. I put my Anti-Apparition wards up yesterday, so nobody could get away. Crucio.”

Malfoy cried in pain. Harry too.

“Nott. What is your theory?”

“My Lord, I don’t know. But it cannot be anyone of these members. We know each other too well.”

“Hopefully. Crucio. Avery, come here. Who could have alerted the Aurors?”

“My Lord, I really have no idea. But don’t you have a spy in the ministry who might be able to find out?”

“I don’t have a spy with the Aurors. Crucio. Crabbe and Goyle, do you have a reasonable explanation for me?”

“No, my Lord, I am sorry.”

“My Lord, I have no idea. Sorry.”

“Sorry is not enough! Crucio. Crucio. I expect better from all of you. I am very disappointed. You are dismissed.”

Harry woke up, groaned and got sick all over the bed. At the same moment, Dumbledore strayed into the Hospital Wing and rushed over to his bedside.

“Harry! What is it now? Your scar is bleeding again. Did you have another vision?”

Harry moaned, “No, he is just very disappointed about the failed attack last night and was torturing the Death Eaters of his inner circle. This means Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Nott and Avery.”

“Do you have these visions often?”

“Quite often. Voldemort was gone until about 15 months before I came here, so I only had them during these 15 months, and yesterday was the first time after I came here. Halloween seems to have always been special for Tom.”

“So you always spend a lot of time here in the Hospital Wing.” It was more a conclusion than a question.

However, Harry answered, “Yes, unfortunately. In my time I even have my own bed here, although I hate it here.” Harry took the still half-full phial from his night table, gulped it down and relaxed.

“Is that the Potion Severus made for you?”

“Yes Professor. Did I not tell you that he is the best Potions master of England in my time?”

“And I still can manage to keep him as our Potions Professor?!” Harry nodded.

‘Certain information I will have to put into my pensive before being obliviated’ Dumbledore thought to himself and said aloud, “I will get Madam Pomfrey to check on you. Afterwards we can have breakfast together. There are a few things I would like to talk about with you if you don’t mind.”

“Of course not Professor.”

Madam Pomfrey checked on Harry and said to Dumbledore, “No! You cannot take him with you. His temperature is as high as it was yesterday, and his scar is open again. Come back after breakfast if you need to. If nothing more happens, I will release him before dinner.”

“Then I will be back in half an hour. I want to talk to Harry, and after the events of the night I do not want to wait.”

Pomfrey made Harry drink a few Potions, bandaged his head and made him eat a small breakfast, which he finished just in time for Dumbledore’s return.

“Harry, when we talked in your dormitory yesterday, you said something about a certain ‘Order of the Phoenix’, is that correct?”

Harry nodded affirmative.

“Could you please explain to me about his order?”

Harry’s eyes got bigger. What did this mean? The order was Dumbledore’s organization, wasn’t it? “Oops, I thought you must have known by now. Anyway, the Order of the Phoenix is an organisation of the light side, founded by you, and the members are mostly former students of Hogwarts whom you can trust, like for example the Weasleys.”

“Then it will be time to found this Order! Why is it called the Order of the Phoenix?”

“I’m not sure. You know, I am not yet a member of it. You are only taking students who are of age and have graduated. But I think it has two reasons. One has to do with procedure of people entering the order for the first time. I think Fawkes has to approve them. Maybe he will know; I don’t know if this was his idea or yours. The other is that you use the Phoenix symbol for the Order and also for fast communication. But don’t ask me how it works exactly.”

“Fine, Harry. This is very valuable information. Now, where and when does this Order meet?”

“Um... at my time they meet at Sirius’ house, you know at the old Black house. It is under the Fidelius charm and you are the secret keeper, but as far as I know, before that the Order has met at Hogwarts, maybe in your office or somewhere. You call the Order whenever there is any need, whenever Voldemort was attacking somewhere or when people of the Order had to guard something or someone for any reason.”

“All right Harry; that will do for the start. Now, do you know how many members the Order had at your time?”

“No. I know about twenty of them, but there might be about fifty, some of them not so active members. I just don’t know. Shall I give you the names of the Order members I know?”

“Yes please, that would be very helpful. The full names please.”

“Albus Dumbledore as the boss, Minerva McGonagall, Severus Snape, Filius Flitwick, Pomona Sprout, I’m not sure if Madam Pomfrey is a member but I think so, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, James Potter and Lily Evans (not in my time of course because they were dead, but before they died). Peter Pettigrew was in the Order too at that time but was a Death Eater, Arthur Weasley, Molly Weasley and all of their seven children but one, Agatha Longbottom, Frank Longbottom and his wife Alice (who are in St. Mungos at my time). Some Aurors like Mad Eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt and Nymphadora Tonks; her mother was in the order too, I think, and Arabella Figg. The parents of James Potter were probably Order members too. Sorry Professor; that’s all I can come up with now. But when you ask me about certain persons, maybe I’ll be able to tell you about them.”

“Alright Harry, thank you very much. I will have a talk with Fawkes and... Who do you think would be my second hand in this Order?”

“Professor McGonagall. She is your second-in-command in everything, Sir.”

“Then I will talk to her as well. Maybe one of us will come to you with more questions later. Now try to rest for a while.” Harry laughed.

“I don’t mind any questions. I’m glad to be able to help. Just please don’t tell anyone except Professor McGonagall about me; I really don’t want any more attention as I get anyway” he added pleadingly.

Dumbledore was just on his way out of the Hospital Wing, when Harry called him back.

“Sorry Professor. I forgot to tell you something. You know Voldemort initiated several new Death Eaters last night, and I recognized a few of them. They were Malfoy, Nott, Crabbe, Goyle and Pettigrew.”

Dumbledore’s face went white “Peter Pettigrew? Are you quite sure?”

“Yes, Professor, I am sure.”

When Dumbledore left, Harry looked for Madam Pomfrey, but fortunately she was nowhere in sight. He got up and left the Hospital Wing as fast and silently as he could and ran up to Gryffindor Tower. Fortunately, he did not meet anyone in his pyjamas and with the bandage around his head, because the second class of the day just had begun. After he put a robe over his pyjamas, he fetched his Potions book, parchment and a quill and ran back to the Hospital Wing to look through the Potions book and take some notes until Severus woke up.

He woke up about an hour before lunchtime, and when he came over to Harry’s bed, Harry whispered, “Watch her without attracting attention. As soon as she is out of sight let’s get out of here.”

Severus looked questioningly at Harry. “Are you sure you are all right? Did she release you yet?”

“No, but she said she probably was going to release me before dinner, so I’ll be fine.”

“And where are we going to go? The Potions classroom is still used at this time of the day.”

Harry hadn’t considered that. “Um… we could go to the Room of Requirement. Now, she’s not here, and the last morning classes have just started, so let’s go!”

They ran up to the seventh floor, where Harry paced in front of the Room of Requirement, thinking, ‘we need a Potions laboratory together with a place with comfortable seats’, and a door appeared.

Severus’ eyes got really big. “Wow. What is this place?”

“It is called the ‘Room of Requirement’. You have to pace outside three times and wish for a room you need, and it appears. I have been using it quite often in the future. Just look around. There should be shelves with mostly used ingredients and everything.”

Harry flopped on one of the comfortable looking sofas and called his friend over. “Let’s sit down and talk first. What are we going to do? I was thinking about finding out which Potions – especially healing Potions – you still haven’t invented and making a list of them. Maybe that sounds a bit crazy, but you know, you have invented many really useful Potions like for example the Wolfsbane Potion.”

Severus gave Harry a piercing look. “You mean you are going to teach me Potions?”

Harry nearly fell off his seat. “Of course not. Don’t misunderstand me. But last night, it really helped me a lot that you could make the Potion for me. I even had to use the second half of it this morning.”

Severus looked horrified.

“So what I intend to do is just telling you about certain Potions, even if I don’t know the ingredients, which are very useful in my time, so that you maybe could invent them earlier than you would do otherwise in order to help others in this time. There is also the possibility that you only invented them in the future because I told you about it in this time. Oh, I don’t know any more.” He sat back and closed his eyes. His head hurt, and he was getting tired. But it was really fun to work together with Severus. It felt as if Severus’ enthusiasm for Potions was contagious.

“All right. I think your idea is not bad. You mentioned a Potion before, Wolfsbane. What exactly is it?”

“The Wolfsbane Potion helps a werewolf to keep his mind during the full moon. He still changes into the werewolf form, but he is coherent. So when Remus was teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts in my time, he didn’t have to go to the Shrieking Shack to transform but just could stay in this office. But it takes about a day to brew, has to be brewed freshly every month, and it is said to be one of the most difficult Potions to brew.”

They talked about several Potions, which could be invented, before Severus started to try some of them, with the help of Harry, who was busy chopping many different ingredients. They managed to brew the Anti-Cruciatus Potion once again, this time a whole batch, half of which Severus promised to leave in the stock of the Hospital Wing. The other half he gave to Harry.

“That should be enough for today, let’s go to the Great Hall for dinner,” Severus said satisfied.

“You go on, I will go back to my dormitory, I don’t want dinner, and I’m just tired.”

Severus glared at him. “You are going to get yourself in even more trouble than you are already in, especially with Madam Pomfrey, you know that don’t you?”

Harry smirked. “I don’t mind. If someone comes looking for me, I will already be asleep.”

Severus couldn’t help laughing. “You are incredible. By the way, do you want me to take your head bandage off, or do you prefer to leave it as it is?”

Harry looked at him reproachfully. “Thanks for telling me, I had completely forgotten about it. Could you please take it off?”

-----

Dinner had already started, when Severus slipped into a seat at the Slytherin table. His classmates immediately questioned him, “What was wrong with you today? Slughorn told us you had to stay in the Hospital Wing today. Is everything okay?”

“Yes. I didn’t have to stay there; I only had to sleep, because I had to spend the night brewing a Potion for Dumbledore!” Severus answered in a very annoyed voice and finished his dinner quickly. But before he could leave the Great Hall, Dumbledore called him over to the Head Table.

“Mr. Snape, have you by chance spent the day together with Mr. Pane?”

“Yes Professor, we were doing some Potions research until dinner. With his help I have managed to brew another new Potion for the Hospital Wing, and I’ve got the ideas for a few more healing Potions.”

“As commendable as this may be, and I am very proud of the two of you, my boy, Harry is really in trouble now. He escaped from the Hospital Wing although Poppy didn’t release him yet, and he missed lunch and dinner. Do you by any chance know where he might be now?”

“He told me he was tired and would go back to his dormitory. I’m sorry Professor for not keeping him out of trouble.”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled. “That, my dear boy, seems to be impossible.”

-----

It was nearly 7 o’clock, when Lily arrived for their Potions tutoring lessons. But Harry didn’t show up.

“Hi Severus. Where is Harry?”

“Hello Lily. He won’t be coming tonight. He was tired and went to bed. But we can brew a Potion together nevertheless. I promised Madam Pomfrey to make a batch of Headache Potions for the hospital wing; are you interested to help me with this?”

“Of course, when you tell me what I have to do. You know I’m not better at Potions than Harry.” Severus smirked.

“Look, I have already got the ingredients ready. Would you mind to prepare them and trying to hand them to me in the correct order I have to add them?”

“Is that the Potion we brewed at the end of last year?”

“Yes Lily.”

When they were waiting for the Potion to simmer for the last few minutes, Lily summoned all her courage, but looked at the floor. “Severus, you know, um… Dumbledore announced the Hogsmeade weekend for the day after tomorrow at dinner. I thought maybe it would be nice to go there all together, you, Harry and me. What do you think?” She couldn’t believe it. She had done it. She had asked him. Slowly she looked up and met his eyes. What she discovered there was… a smile – one of his rare smiles.

“Of course Lily, I would love that, and I’m quite sure Harry would like it too. We have to tell him tomorrow.”

“Are we going to practice our Animagus training without Harry, or should we wait for him?”

“I think we could practice without him. He told me today that he already managed to change his whole body, except from his head. As far as I know, he is practicing with the Marauders every night.”

“All right, then let’s go on. May I have a go first?”

In the meanwhile in Gryffindor Tower…