Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 13

After Harry departed the small café, he quickly made his way over to the office building where Connor was working. He glanced around quickly, to make sure no one was watching, before concentrating on changing his face back to normal. After he was sure his appearance was back to normal, he entered the office cautiously.

Connor briefly glanced up before returning to his paper work. Harry quietly moved to the chair and sat down in it. While waiting for Connor to finish up, he flipped through his book on plants.

“Let’s go.”

Harry looked up quickly and saw that Connor had finished his work. The man then grabbed his keys and stepped outside, Harry following after him. Connor locked up the office and they left. It was quiet in the car until the brown-haired man spoke again.

“What did you do today?” he asked.

Harry looked over at him before turning back to the window. “I just wandered around, mostly checking out the stores.” Harry was puzzled; why did Connor even care?

“Cathy called earlier. A co-worker of hers was fired so she needs to work Saturdays until they find a replacement.”

Harry quickly glanced again at the man, who was glaring at him, as if daring him to argue. He didn’t have any plans to argue with Connor over that. Knowing that Mister Snape went to buy his ingredients on Saturdays meant that he would have a chance to see the man. So if his mum worked on weekends now, that suited him as long as he was allowed to meet up with Mister Snape.

“Nothing to say?” Connor snapped. “Doesn’t it bother you getting stuck with me?”

Harry took a deep breath and exhaled. He was trying not to let Connor’s constant snappy tone to bother him, but it was hard when the man wanted nothing to do with him.

“I don’t mind,” Harry replied softly. “It doesn’t really bother me.”

“Hmph,” Connor grunted as he turned his attention back to the road. It wasn’t long before the two arrived home. When they entered, they were surprised to see Cathy home already.

“Hey guys,” she greeted each of them with a quick hug. “How was your day?”

“Good,” Harry replied shortly.

Cathy smiled. “Did you behave?”

Harry rolled his eyes. “Of course.”

“Did he tell you that I’ll be working Saturdays from now on?”

Harry nodded.

“Will that be okay with you?” she asked. “I think your grandparents have plans to keep helping their friend work on his house so they’ll probably be gone on weekends.”

“It’ll be okay,” he said. “I really don’t mind spending my Saturdays with Connor at his office.”

She smiled brightly. “I’m glad to see you are getting along so well then.”

Connor smiled at her and made a show of reaching his hand out and placing it on Harry’s shoulder. The boy fought the urge to shake it off. Connor gave it a quick squeeze before releasing it.

Harry excused himself and headed upstairs to the safety of his room. He sat down on his bed and sighed deeply. It was hard to lie to his mum about his relationship with Connor but he didn’t know what else to do. His mum really loved the man and he didn’t want to cause them to break up over a few stupid incidents between him and Connor.

Harry kicked off his shoes and relaxed on his bed. At least he’d get to see Mister Snape every Saturday that he was stuck with Connor. There was at least one thing to look forward to.


The following Saturday, Harry met up with Mr. Snape again but this time, he waited at the café rather than the alley. After last weekend with that other man attacking him, he didn’t want to chance anything. Luckily, Mr. Snape had spotted him and when he arrived, they had tea while Harry asked many questions. Just as last week, the older man patiently answered them all. Not that Severus Snape would ever admit it, but he enjoyed teaching a student that showed real potential for the subject.

Eventually they parted their ways and Harry went back to the office like usual. He always made sure to change back to his normal appearance first. Connor would probably freak out if he showed up looking different. Since Mister Snape thought that he had strawberry-blond hair and blue eyes, he had to continue looking like that otherwise the man wouldn’t recognize him. Plus he didn’t want the man to learn about his freakish talent of changing his features around.

Harry had gotten quite good at changing his face around. With lots of practice, he could easily change his eye color, hair color and recently he’d started practicing with making more interesting changes. He played around with making funny faces, like changing his nose and ears. Once he gave himself pointed elf like ears and another time he even managed to give himself a pig like nose. That took a lot out of him though and he almost didn’t have the strength the change it back. Each and every time he practiced, it became easier and easier for him, plus it was fun to make funny faces.

Primary school started up again for Harry, which excited the boy. He was eager to get back to learning; plus school meant that he got to see his grandparents every day. Harry didn’t get to see either of them nearly as often as usual since they had started spending their weekends helping out a friend.

With classes back in session, things fell into a nice routine for Harry. Monday thru Friday he had classes, and on Saturdays he met up with Mr. Snape. The older man continued to be a helpful presence to Harry. The young boy would always have more questions to ask and he would always answer. Harry also continued to read books on plants, as directed by Mister Snape. Not that Harry knew it, but the muggle world had lots of plants that wizards and witches used in their potions.

Time passed rather quickly and before Harry knew it, winter was approaching. He knew he wouldn’t be able to see Mr. Snape anymore since Connor planned to start taking Saturdays off.

Harry was currently sitting at the same café where he always waited for Mr. Snape. Today would be his last visit for some time and Harry was sad about that fact. He really enjoyed talking with Mister Snape, who was kind of funny in his own way.

“Good afternoon, sir,” Harry greeted when the potions master arrived.

Severus grunted in response as he lowered himself into a chair. The man had dark shadows under his eyes, obviously from lack of sleep.

Harry looked at him with concern. “Are you feeling alright, sir?”

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “I have not been sleeping well recently with the numerous assignments that I am required to grade before the term ends. Only one more week before the students go home.”

Harry nodded in understanding. “I’m glad for the break too.”

“I am sorry, but I do not feel up to much conversation today,” Severus stated.

The older man then pulled out a book and handed it to Harry. The boy cautiously accepted the book and looked over the title. It was a book on basic potion making.

“What’s this?” Harry asked.

“I was led to believe you possessed more intelligence than that,” Severus stated with a smirk, causing Harry to roll his eyes. Severus continued, “I know that you have been unable to locate a book on potion making, therefore I have decided to supply you with one of your own.”

Harry looked at the man with surprise and excitement written all over his face. “You bought this book for me? As an early Christmas present?”

Severus grimaced. “You could call it that. I felt that you needed an actual book on the potion making concept. Many of your previous questions have been answered in detail in this book. Since our ‘meetings’ have been temporarily suspended, I expect you to write down the questions that you have once you’ve finished this book. I will attempt to answer anything further next time we meet.”

Harry smiled brightly, causing Severus’ own lips to curve upwards ever so slightly. Who knew giving a child a book would make him so happy? It wasn’t like that book was very interesting, but yet it covered the basic material. The second reason he chose that particular book was for the fact that it was intended for use by squibs. Magical terms would not appear in that book since squibs, who have the ability to brew basic potions, would not like to be reminded of the fact that they cannot perform magic. It was the perfect book for this child.

“Thank you! Thank you so much sir,” Harry said.

Severus merely inclined his head. He then got to his feet. “I must take my leave. Have a pleasant holiday.”

“Thank you again and I hope you enjoy your holidays too,” Harry added shyly.

Severus exited the café and disappeared down an alley, where he Apparated away.

Harry clutched his book to his chest and smiled happily. He couldn’t wait to read the book, but it would have to wait until he got home. Connor said to be back by two o’clock today, which meant he wouldn’t have much time to start reading since it was already one thirty.

The boy left the small café and completed his usual ritual of ‘changing’ back to normal before entering Connor’s office. Harry would greatly miss his visits with Mister Snape, but thankfully this book would be able to help him learn lots. And next time he saw Mister Snape, he would surely have plenty more questions to ask the man…

Chapter End Notes:
Short chapter, I know. I figured I'd get it out anyways. Question for you readers: Who would you like to see Harry eventually become friends with and who do you want him to dislike? Also- does anyone have any objections to Blaise Zabini being a girl in this fic? I know it annoys some people since we finally found out Blaise is a boy, but I'm really thinking about making him a girl instead. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I'll try to get another one out soon!