Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 20

Cathy hummed softly as she finished her latest letter to her adopted son, Harry

Cathy hummed softly as she finished her latest letter to her adopted son, Harry. They’d been keeping in constant contact with each other, which helped soothe the ache in her heart. Ever since Harry had gone off to school, she’d been lonely and wishing for her boy to be home, where she could spoil him all she wanted. But since he wasn’t there, she made sure to write often and send at least one goodie package a week. Her mother had been very helpful as well. She often came over and together they’d bake something new to send to Harry.

Just yesterday, the two women had baked a dozen chocolate chip cookies, one of Harry’s favourites, and as soon as Hedwig came, she’d mail it off. Spying the white owl in the distance, she quickly sealed her letter and then opened the window for the owl. The beautiful white owl swooped in and landed on her perch in the kitchen.

“Hey girl,” Cathy murmured as she stroked the beautiful white owl’s feathers.

Hedwig hooted and stretched her leg out. Tied to it was a small box and a letter. The box was magically charmed, by Professor Snape, and allowed larger items to be placed inside to make travelling easier for the owl.

Catherine removed the little box and the letter. She opened Harry’s letter and read through it, smiling at his tale, but frowning ever so slightly at the last part. Harry had tried out for the Quidditch team, and had made it on, as a first year no less! She didn’t know what to think about that.

From what she’d heard about this sport, it was dangerous. If flying high up didn’t make it dangerous enough, then surely those bluggers, or whatever they were called, made it ten times worse. If Harry was hit by one of those… she didn’t know what she’d do.

Cathy sighed. She didn’t have the heart to write him and forbid him from playing Quidditch. Perhaps she’d write Professor Snape. Yes, that would ensure that her boy was kept safe and sound. Such a good man he was, for watching after her boy while he was so far away from home. It was good for Harry to have such a close relationship with Professor Snape as well, since it likely helped heal the old wounds Harry had from those despicable people he used to live with. While her father helped in that regard as well, he wasn’t around all the time. As for Connor, well she wasn’t so sure anymore about the relationship he had with Harry.

She had noticed things were a bit strained between the two at first, but it really seemed to have improved. She really noticed Harry’s attempt to converse with her husband, but the more she thought on it, Connor never cared to talk back. He usually just shrugged and went on doing whatever he was doing before, as if Harry wasn’t standing there trying to talk with him.

Cathy felt really puzzled now. She couldn’t figure out why she’d never seen the relationship between the two. Maybe, she thought, I was too in love to really pay attention.

That thought alone caused her to shiver in disgust with herself. The signs weren’t all there though. Why else would Harry volunteer to go to work with Connor? At first, it had been necessary for Harry to be with someone instead of being home alone, but once she no longer worked weekends, why didn’t Harry stay home? If the two didn’t really get along, then there was no reason for Harry to go out of his way to spend time with her husband.

Catherine shook her head. She was getting confused. At first, she always thought they got along. Then she came to the conclusion they didn’t get along well. Now she was back to thinking they got along well enough to intentionally spend time with each other. Which is it? she wondered.

The blue-eyed woman rubbed her eyes and sighed. She couldn’t come to any conclusions about past interactions between the two, but she’d certainly be on the lookout when Harry came home for Christmas. Then she’d really watch to see how they got along.

She bit her lip, a habit she’d seen Harry do often, and tried to hold back her tears. Could she have failed her adopted son by marrying a man he didn’t get along with? No matter what she did, she couldn’t stop thinking about Harry and his relationship with Connor. Just as a few tears leaked out, strong arms pulled her into a comforting hug.

“Hush there, everything will be alright.”

The strawberry-blond haired woman calmed herself as she leaned into her father’s arms. She knew it was him the moment she was surrounded his arms and enclosed into his warm hug.

She pulled away and looked in her father’s concerned face. “What are you doing here?”

“I was nearby and though I’d stop by briefly. You didn’t answer my knocks and since your car is in the driveway, I went ahead and let myself in. What has you so upset?”

Cathy sighed. “For one, I miss Harry.”

“He’ll be home in about two months,” Nick replied, smiling.

She smiled back. “I know.” Her smile disappeared and her face took on a more serious look. “Can I ask you something? And have your honest thoughts and opinions?”

Nicholas saw the seriousness in her gaze and nodded.

“What do you think of Connor?”

He immediately looked concerned. “Why? Has he done something to you? Are you having doubts about your marriage?”

She shook her head. “No. I just started thinking about the relationship between Harry and Connor. Do you think they really get along?”

The older man frowned slightly. “That’s hard to say. I’ve noticed times when they appear to get along well, but other times when I’ve observed something a little off between the two. Regretfully, I haven’t come by often enough with everyone together, so I really haven’t seen much interaction between the two.”

Catherin sighed. “I started wondering today about whether they really get along or not. If I think back, sometimes they seemed to get along great. Like when Harry went to work with Connor on Saturdays, even though I was home. They must’ve gotten along for my son to willingly go to work with my husband.

“But on the other hand, I’ve seen a few tense moments between the two. Once or twice, Connor has brushed Harry off when he was talking or something. Could I be imagining all this? Do you really think something isn’t right between the two?”

Nick sighed. “From Connor’s past, we know he isn’t overly fond of children. I’ve seen him interact a few times with Harry, but I can’t recall if they were tense around each other or if he was sincerely trying to get along with my grandson.”

“I’m just so confused,” the blue-eyed woman admitted.

Her father gave her another hug. “I know. I’ll admit I didn’t overly care for Connor when I first met him. He just didn’t seem right, I guess. I’ve grown to see him more though and he seems like a decent man. Anyone can easily see that he is in love with you.”

Cathy smiled. “Yeah, that might be the only thing I am sure of at the moment. It’s just figuring out the relationship between him and my son, which I am unsure about. I’ll make sure to watch how they interact with each other around the winter holidays.”

Nicholas nodded. “Your mum and I will be over often too, since we’ve got to spoil that boy rotten for the few weeks he’s back home,” he teased.

Cathy grinned mischievously. “Why do I have the feeling my son is going to be overloaded with sweets and gifts and everything you two can imagine?”

Her father shrugged. “Blame Ellie. She’s the one who’s already planning what she’ll do when he gets home, even though that’s over two months away.”

The strawberry blond-haired woman laughed. “I figured she’d do something like that. Care to help me finish up Harry’s latest goodie package?”


Ever since that first flying lesson, Harry had been back on a broom every chance he got. He had gone to tryouts as Professor Snape had suggested, and actually made the team. The older students grumbled about a first year winning the position but with his talent, they couldn’t complain for long. His smaller size also helped him manoeuvre around smoothly and he was able to catch the snitch quickly. The captain of the Slytherin Quidditch team, Marcus Flint, hadn’t wanted him to even tryout, but relented after Professor Snape showed up.

The Potions Master came to oversee the tryouts to make sure the best candidate won the position. Last year’s Seeker was a bad choice since the boy only caught the Snitch half the time. If it weren’t for all the points Slytherin Chasers had earned, then they would’ve lost the matches.

With Professor Snape watching, Harry was even more determined to catch the Golden Snitch. The tryouts consisted of two potential Seekers competing against each other to catch the snitch while the Beaters hit Bludgers at them. With Harry’s small size, he was able to dodge the Bludgers and still catch the snitch, while also on a school broom. Harry figured he might be able to borrow someone’s broom for a real match, but he’d have to find someone willing to let a first year use their broom.

After making the team, Harry practiced almost daily with the Slytherin team. The rest of the team were decent players, but it seemed like they were more concerned about cheating in order to win rather than applying any real talent to the game. The first match was coming up two weeks after Halloween and Harry was already getting excited for the match.

Halloween morning, Harry woke early and couldn’t fall back asleep. After showering and dressing, he wandered down to the Great Hall, which was occupied by only one other person at this quite early hour. Professor Snape was sitting at the Head Table, sipping his drink leisurely.

“Good morning Professor,” Harry greeted softly, his voice echoing in the quite hall.

“Mr. Potter,” he greeted with a nod. “Shouldn’t you still be sleeping at this hour?”

The boy shrugged. “Yeah probably. I woke up early and couldn’t go back to sleep. Thought I’d come get some breakfast,” he added.

The Potions Master motioned for the boy to have a seat. Harry nervously sat down at the Head table and stared at his empty plate.

“Uh, they do serve breakfast this early don’t they?” Harry asked, looking around to see if food was on any of the house tables yet.

“Of course, Mr. Potter,” the man smirked. “You merely have to request what you’d like.”

“Oh.” Harry looked at his plate. “Um, scrambled eggs, bacon and toast?” he said unsurely. A second later, his plate now contained hot scrambled eggs, several slices of bacon, and a few pieces of buttered toast.

Harry grinned. Magic was great. “Cool,” he said before digging in.

The two ate in silence until Harry set down his fork, having eaten his fill.

“I should go, sir,” the boy said, standing. “Before any others arrive and wonder why I’m eating up here.”

“Actually,” Professor Snape began, getting to his feet as well. “I would appreciate it if you would accompany me to my office.”

“Okay,” the first year replied. “Have I done something wrong?”

The older man shook his head. “No, I merely wished to give something to you.”

Harry was curious now, and wondered what the man had for him. Perhaps it was another picture of his mum Lily? Or maybe it was a picture of his father, James? He’d heard he looked just like the man, but he still hadn’t seen any pictures. Then again, it probably wasn’t a picture of his dad. Professor Snape never mentioned him and didn’t look like he even wanted to talk about James Potter. He didn’t know why, but figured the two had gone here to school together and didn’t get along.

Harry shook himself from his thoughts as they reached the older man’s office. Harry looked around at all the jars filled with creepy things while he waited for the Professor to return from the back closet. A moment later, the man came out, carrying a long thin package.

“Here,” he said, handing the package to the young boy.

Harry, almost sure of what it was, tore off the brown paper wrapping to reveal a brand new Nimbus 2000.

“Whoa,” he said, turning his shocked gaze to his potions professor. “I thought first years weren’t allowed to have brooms.”

“Ideally, no. In this case, the Headmaster has allowed this since you previously tried out for, and gained a position on, the Slytherin Quidditch team.”

Harry ran his thumb across the Nimbus logo. “I can’t wait to try it out,” he said enthusiastically. “Thank you very much, sir.”

“You are welcome; however, I did not purchase the entire broom with my own finances. I recommended that you receive a broom for Christmas and Catherine agreed. She preferred that you have your own broom for the upcoming Quidditch match, therefore you received it early,” he explained. “As it was my idea,” he added, “I insisted on providing partial funding for it.”

“Thank you again, sir,” Harry said gratefully as he examined his new broom. “It’s perfect.”

“Perhaps you’d be interested in trying it out now?” Severus suggested.

Harry thought about it for a minute. “I’d like to, but I probably should get stated on this essay that’s due next week. I don’t want to get overworked if I slack off. Otherwise, I’d get frustrated with all the homework piling up,” the boy explained with a shrug.

The Potions Master nodded. “That is responsible of you. Most students wait until the last minute possible. If you are feeling stressed, practice those calming lessons we had several months ago. It is beneficial to your state of mind along with organizing your thoughts.”

Harry smiled at him. “I’d almost forgotten about those lessons. I’ll have to try that next time the homework piles up. Darn professors,” Harry muttered, sending a teasing grin at the older man.

Severus nearly rolled his eyes. “Shoo. Go try out that broom of yours and then start on your assignment.”

“Yes sir!” Harry saluted with a grin before dashing off.

“No running in the halls Mr. Potter!” Professor Snape added half-heartedly at the boy, who by then had disappeared around the corner.


“…and it was excellent. Everything about it was great.” Harry concluded.

Harry had certainly taken Professor Snape’s advice earlier that morning and tried out his new broom. It was better than he’d imagined! It was much smoother than the old school broom. He could turn easier, fly faster, and diving down was quite thrilling. If his mum were here, she’d have kittens after watching him practice even the simplest of manoeuvres on his new fast broom.

Regretfully, his practice time came to an end but he knew he’d get to fly more later, perhaps that evening. But tonight was the big Halloween feast that he’d heard so much about. He hadn’t had a chance to tell Blaise about his new broom until their last class for that day, History of Magic. Since the Professor was a ghost, he didn’t pay much attention at all to the students. Harry had just finished telling Blaise about the excellent quality of his new broom when the bell sounded.

“Wow,” Blaise said. “Any chance I can have a go? Y’know, after you’ve had a chance to break it in, of course.”

“Sure,” Harry replied, smiling at his friend. “You can try it out this weekend, if you’d like.”

“If I’d like?” Blaise remarked with a smirk. “Gee Harry, I’m pretty sure I’d like to keep it afterwards too. Y’know, if I like it and all.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah.”

They were outside the Great Hall when Harry realized he didn’t have his book bag. He groaned. “Ugh, I left my bag in Binn’s class.” He poked his head in the Great Hall and looked at all the neat decorations.

The other boy winced. “And it’s got your essays in it too.” The boy’s stomach chose that moment to growl loudly.

“Impatient for the feast are we?” Harry chuckled.

“Hey now! You know I missed lunch earlier,” Blaise retorted.

“And who chose to stick his nose so far into a book, that he barely made it to class on time?” Harry recalled.

“Well, it was fascinating…” Blaise feebly defended himself. He sighed in defeat and crossed his arms defensively, with a pout on his face.

“You know I’m just teasing. I’m gonna run back and grab it and you go ahead and eat. See you in a bit.”

Harry dashed down the hallway for the second time that day. He couldn’t wait to get to the feast and he too was hungry. But he didn’t want to lose his essays so it was better to just grab them now. When he got to the professor’s classroom, he entered it and quickly located his bag. He snatched it up and slipped it over his shoulder before departing from the classroom.

Harry paused and leaned against the wall to straighten his green striped tie; Professor Snape didn’t tolerate messy uniforms after all. The Slytherin started walking again, when he heard a muttered whisper and suddenly he lost his balance and tripped, head first into the stone wall. Bracing his hands in front of himself, he prevented his head from hitting the wall.

He shakily got to his feet and looked down at his left hand. He had slashed it open when he braced himself. One of the sharp edges of the uneven stones had nicked his hand, causing it to bleed. He grabbed his book bag and replaced it on his arm just before a bigger student walked by him, purposely shouldered him, and caused the bag to fall again. He glared at the boys, several Gryffindors, judging by their ties.

“Slimy snake,” one sneered. The others laughed as they continued on.

Harry continued glaring at them, even though their backs were turned, until they were out of sight. With three of them, older students at that, it was best not to pick a fight. This was why Professor Snape said his students should travel together since others were less likely to provoke a group. He sighed and grabbed his bag once again before walking down the hall in search of the nearest loo where he could wash up his hand.

After turning on the water, Harry placed his hand under the cool water and watched as the red was rinsed from his hand. It stung a bit, but he shrugged it off. He grabbed a paper towel and dried off his hand. Just as he tossed the paper towel, he heard a girl shriek nearby. He exited the bathroom quickly and looked around to see who cried out. The girl’s bathroom, a few doors down, was wide open. He ran over to it and peeked inside, not excepting the site before him.

A large mountain troll stood there, club in hand, and looking around slowly. He caught sight of the petite blond girl standing frozen in the bathroom and swung his club near her.

“Move!” Harry shouted as he ran into the bathroom. He pulled out his wand and quickly thought over all the spells he’d learned. It’s not like first years learned what to use on a troll. Before he could think of a spell, the troll swung his club again, right on one of the bathroom sinks. It smashed open, water leaking everywhere. The girl, who he quickly realized was Susan, stood in shock of it all.

“Move!” Harry shouted again. “Before it hits you!”

The blond haired girl jerked her attention to him and started moving towards him when the troll swung again. Susan shrieked and ran to the side, avoiding the club, which hit the stalls this time with a thundering crack as they broke apart. She crouched in the corner, afraid to move any further.

Harry thought fast as the troll lifted his club again, and shouted the first curse that came to mind.

Rictusempra!” he cried, hoping that the tickling curse would have some effect.

The troll stopped moving, giving Susan time to dash to Harry’s side, before it started making odd sounds, as if it were trying to laugh.

The two students were just about to go find help, when several professors came running in. Professor McGonagall was followed by Professors Snape and Quirrell. Professor McGonagall was the first to send a spell at the troll, followed by Professor Quirrell, who was supposedly a troll expert. Instead of trying to deal with the troll, Professor Snape ushered the two students from the bathroom and let the others deal with the troll.

“What happened?” he demanded. Seeing a few scrapes and scratches on the girl, Severus decided it was best to have them both checked over by Madam Pomfrey.

Susan was the first to speak. “I –I was in the bathroom when the troll came in,” she said shakily. “I think I screamed because then Harry came running in.”

“Can you explain your presence near the girl’s bathroom, Mr. Potter?” Professor Snape asked.

“I left my book bag in Professor Binns class, sir. I went back to get it and on my way to the feast, someone cast a tripping hex. I fell and scraped open my hand,” he said, showing his palm to the man. “I went to the bathroom to clean it up and that’s when I heard Susan scream.”

“I see,” the Potions Professor replied, scowling. If he found out who those students were, they would be punished for attacking a first year.

They arrived at the entrance to the infirmary and the professor led the two students in.

“Have a seat,” he instructed. He disappeared into the Medi-Witches office and returned with the woman following right behind him.

Madam Pomfrey quickly looked over the two and cleaned up their scrapes before dismissing them. Professor McGonagall, who had come to the infirmary after she was done helping with the troll incident, escorted Susan back to the Hufflepuff dorm. Professor Snape led Harry to his office instead.

“Mr. Potter,” he began, sighing wearily. “What possessed you to act like a foolish Gryffindor and rush into that bathroom?”

Harry bit his lip and looked down. “I don’t know, sir. I heard her scream and tried to help her. I wasn’t much help though,” he added miserably. “Am I in trouble?”

“No,” the older man replied slowly. “However, if you ever do something foolish like that again, you will be mister!” he said sternly.

“Yes, sir.”

“Have you eaten?” Professor Snape asked suddenly.

Harry shook his head. “No, sir.”

The man disappeared into his side office, the one students didn’t enter, and came back a minute later with a tray filled with a variety of food.

“Here,” he handed the boy the tray.

Harry accepted it. “Thanks,” he replied before eating. He was starving and went through the meal rather quickly. The professor had even included a few dessert items, which Harry enjoyed greatly.

The green eyed wizard set down his fork and sighed happily. The Halloween feast was certainly one of the best meals he’d had here so far.

“Are you eager for the upcoming holidays this year, Mr. Potter?” Professor Snape asked suddenly.

“Yes, sir,” Harry replied enthusiastically. He’d already started counting down the days until he got to see his mum again. “I’ve missed my mum loads.”

Severus carefully considered his next question. “And what of your… Connor?”

The boy resolutely studied a picture on the wall. “What of him, sir?”

“Are you eager to see him as well?”

The first year shrugged. “I suppose.”

“Judging by your constant reluctance to speak of Mr. Blair, I am assuming you do not care for him.”

Harry shrugged again. “We… we just don’t always get along. That’s all.”

“You have mentioned that previously,” the Potions Master pointed out. “Will you clarify further?”

Harry bit his lip. He didn’t really want to talk about Connor, but this was Professor Snape asking.

“I don’t think he likes me,” the green-eyed wizard admitted. “I tried and tried to interact with him but he always seemed to ignore my efforts. Is there something wrong with me? Why doesn’t he like me?” The pent up emotions, feelings, and frustrations about Connor spilled from his mouth like running water. Harry turned his frustrated gaze downwards and refused to look into the man’s eyes.

“Mr. Potter.”

The boy didn’t look up, embarrassed at his weak moment. A moment later, Professor Snape placed two potion stained fingers under his chin and lifted until Harry gazed into his dark eyes.

“Listen to me,” he commanded softly. “There is nothing wrong with you. Mr. Blair does not realize what he is missing out on by not knowing you. I do not know why he doesn’t like you either. Do not let that concern you. Concentrate on those who like you for who you are. Like your adoptive mother, Catherine. And your grandparents. Like Blaise. And… like me.” He added, very softly.

Harry sucked in a sharp breath before slowly allowing a joyful smile to cross his face. “Thanks, sir, for y’know, talking to me and all. I know I shouldn’t care about what Connor thinks, but it’s hard since he is married to my mum.”

The Potions Master nodded. “If you ever need to talk, my office is open anytime day or night. Do not hesitate to seek me out, Mr. Potter.”

Harry nodded back. “I should go now. Good night, sir,” he said before grabbing his belongings and departing.

Severus watched the boy leave and sighed wearily. Why was Potter’s son affecting him this way? What in Merlin’s name possessed him to say that?! It was true though that he did enjoy the boy’s company. Harry was smart and had a love for potions just as he himself did as a young boy.

The man shook his head as if to clear it before getting to his feet. His leg immediately throbbed at the motion, reminding him that he needed to clean it up. Good thing neither student saw his bloodied up leg. A stiff drink sounded good right about now. All this sentimental blather was irritating him and a good stiff drink would cure that.

With that in mind, Severus strode to his personal quarters, disguising his limp. Upon entering, he went directly to his liquor cabinet and poured himself a drink. He sat down wearily and sighed tiredly.

He didn’t know what he was going to do about Harry and Mr. Blair. The boy hadn’t outright said anything, but something must’ve gone on. Especially since this imbecilic man let a young boy wander London by himself just because he didn’t want the child near him while he worked. He’d find out sooner or later what exactly was going on between them and ensure that absolutely no harm came to that boy.


The next morning, students were once again turning to stare at Harry as he entered the hall, walking alongside Blaise. The troll incident had been spread around the school like a wildfire and everyone couldn’t resist talking about it.

Harry focused on his destination, the Slytherin table. He had just sat down when Susan Bones approached him.

“Hi Harry,” she said shyly. “I never got to thank you yesterday. So um, thanks,” she said before blushing and walking away before Harry had the chance to respond.

Blaise snickered. “Looks like you’ve turned Susan into another one of your fan-girls.”

Harry scowled at him. “Shut up. She is not one of my fan-girls,” he replied, saying the word with disdain.

“Yes she is,” the other boy insisted. “Never should’ve saved her life.”

Harry playfully punched Blaise in the arm. “What was I supposed to do then? Let her get crushed by the troll? Besides, I didn’t really save her from the troll anyways. The Professors arrived before I could try anything.”

“I didn’t really save her,” Blaise mocked with a teasing grin on his face. “Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.”

Harry rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to his food. “One of these days, I’ll find something to tease you about. See how you like it then.”

Blaise laughed. “Go ahead. See if you can dig anything up on me. Perhaps you’d like to know what my favourite stuffed toy was when I was younger? And that you can still find him under my bed…”

Harry looked quizzically at his friend. “Seriously? Do you really have a stuffed toy hidden under your bed?”

“Yep,” Blaise replied. “Under my bed at home of course.”

Harry groaned. “I should’ve known you were pulling my leg.” He checked his watch. “We should go now so we’re not late for class.”

The two finished up their food and left the Great Hall. They didn’t make it far before Harry was surrounded on both sides by two red-headed twin boys. The each looped their arms around his and pulled him back away from Blaise. Harry made a little eep as he was yanked back.

“What is this we hear–”

“About you taking on fully grown–”

“Mountain trolls and living–”

“To tell the tale?” they finished together.

“Who me?” Harry asked innocently. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“And to think we considered this little chap our brother, Gred.”

“Yes Forge, I know. And he didn’t even think to invite us along.”

They both turned to Harry and gave him sad, disapproving looks. They couldn’t hold the look long and soon broke into laughter. The young Slytherin couldn’t help but to laugh as well. The twins were quite amusing.

Blaise came and tugged Harry away from the twin red-headed boys. “So terribly sorry to interrupt the family reunion,” Blaise began dramatically. “But I’m kidnapping Harry so he can make sure I don’t fail potions. Gotta have someone do my work for me, right?” he added cheekily, ignoring the scowl on Harry’s face.

“Bye guys!” Harry called over his shoulder. “Stay out of trouble!”

“We will!” came two voices, sounding entirely too innocent.


“The Bludgers have been released and there goes the Snitch. Don’t forget– first Seeker to catch the Golden Snitch earns their team 150 points!” Lee Jordan reminded. He was the commentator for the first Quidditch match– Slytherin vs. Gryffindor.

“Madam Hooch has the Quaffle and tosses it into the air. Gryffindor Chaser Katie Bell is the first to grab it. She passes to Angelina, who catches it and heads for the Slytherin goals. Go Angelina, go! She’s almost there… and ouch! That had to hurt! Bole wacked the Bludger right at Angelina, hitting her arm and causing her to lose the Quaffle.

“Slytherin Chaser Pucey catches the Quaffle and heads towards the goals. Nice Bludger work Weasleys! Pucey dropped the Quaffle due to an excellent shot made by the Gryffindor Beaters. Gryffindor is back in possession of the Quaffle! Angelina has it– she passes to Alicia. She nears the Slytherin goals… she shoots– and Bletchley misses the goal! Ten points to Gryffindor!” Lee shouted excitedly.

“Slytherin back in possession. Warrington has the Quaffle. He passes to Flint…”

Harry droned out Lee’s voice and concentrated on finding the Golden Snitch. He’d been so nervous earlier this morning since it was his first Quidditch match. With his new broom though, the game was much more thrilling. He could actually test the limits of the broom without worrying. The school’s brooms were old and he tried to go easy on them during practice, but they were nothing compared to his new broom.

Harry scanned the area looking for the Snitch. So far, it was nowhere in sight. He could see the Gryffindor Seeker, whose name he didn’t know, searching as well. A brief flash of gold caused him to turn his head sharply. He didn’t see the Snitch anywhere but continued looking.

About fifteen minutes into the game, he spotted the Snitch. He dove towards it, leaning as close to the broom as he could, allowing himself more speed. The Gryffindor Seeker was hot on his tail, and getting closer. Just as Harry neared the area where the Snitch was spotted, a Bludger flew into his path and he veered off course to avoid it.

Harry sent a mock scowl at Fred, who grinned cheekily back. By the time Harry turned back to the Snitch, it was gone.

Harry scowled for real this time. It had been so close! He flew around a bit more, in search of the Golden Snitch when suddenly the broom jerked.

The first year clutched his broom tightly and tried to fly downward. The broom jerked again and wouldn’t go any lower. He tried again, wanting to get off the broom now. It wasn’t supposed to do that and it terrified him being this high up with a broom that was suddenly acting funny.

He tried to wave at the Slytherin captain, Marcus Flint, to call a time out, but the boy was occupied. He had the Quaffle and was heading towards the Gryffindor goals. He was probably going to score, but Harry didn’t care about that right now. All he wanted to do was get off the broom and land safely on the ground.

Suddenly the broom gave a big lurch and he slipped off. One hand managed to hang onto the broom and he quickly brought up the other to grab on as tightly as he could. The Nimbus continued to shudder and jerk him around, but he held on tightly as he could. Harry could hear the silence in the crowd as they watched him hang on.

The first year risked a peek down and realized he was at least fifty feet up. He could even see Fred and George flying below him, hopefully to catch him, if he ended up falling. Anytime they came close though, he could feel the broom lurch more and rise higher.

Harry scanned his frightened face towards the crowd, searching for the one person he thought might be able to help him. His green eyes soon found Professor Snape’s dark eyes. The man was staring intently at him, and appeared to be muttering under his breath.

One professor got up and tripped, falling on several others, including Professor Snape, which caused him to lose his concentration. The others grumbled a bit as they straightened themselves out and turned their attention back to the Slytherin hanging on his broom.

Harry noticed immediately when the broom stopped lurching around. He took that chance to swing his leg around it and breathed a sigh of relief once he was seated back normally. He was still clutching the broom tightly, but he felt much safer already.

Just as he was situated, he saw the Golden Snitch hovering near the ground. As he spotted it, he noticed the other Seeker did as well. The two flew towards it, neck and neck. Harry’s broom, being a newer model, gave him the bit of extra speed that he needed. He levelled his broom out on the pitch and stretched his hand out as far as possible. The Gryffindor Seeker was still trailing right behind him, hand outstretched as well.

Harry pushed his broom to the limit, reached his hand out, and grasped the Golden Snitch. The crowd roared widely. It had been a close match! Lee Jordan sounded sour as he announced the final score of the game.

Harry slowed his broom and landed on the field. His teammates landed near him and slapped him on the back in congratulations. The boy held back his excited grin for a moment as he searched the crowd. He caught sight of Professor Snape standing off to the side of all the excited teens. The first year caught saw the man’s nod of approval before he turned away.

Harry couldn’t hold back his grin now.

Chapter End Notes:
Sorry for the delay! Between exams, major flooding nearby, work and school, I just hadn't been able to finish this. But it's finally up and posted! Out of curiosity, did you guys like the beginning from Cathy's POV? I enjoyed writing that scene. Actually, I enjoyed writing this entire chapter! Except for the Quidditch scene. Those are always hard to write. I'm already working on chapter 21, which should be quite intersting... :-)