Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, the fic's finished, but there are still some snippets of Harry Snape's life that haven't been told yet. (Any requests? - I warn you, I'm on other projects now, so it may take a while).
This one is for my bestest beta Ladybug, who will never be cured of her HP/GW obsession.
Outtake: When It Alteration Finds

“Ummm,” Harry began, not sure how to bring up the topic. “I don’t suppose…if, ah…”

Parcae smiled. The water shimmered.

“Snape?” someone called behind him. “Harry?”

Harry turned and saw Ginny Weasley standing in the middle of the corridor, hugging her books to her chest rather nervously.

“Yes?” That’s right, he’d forgotten to set the next DC meeting, maybe she’d come to remind him, but why was she nervous? Was he really that scary?

“I – er…Well,” she began, colouring slightly, “I was wondering if, er…” she trailed off as a few students passed them, and looked hopefully at a door in the corridor. He nodded and they went into the empty classroom.

“I wanted to know if… if you wanted to go to the ball with me.”

Oh. His face remained stoic. “You know who I am?” he asked without emotion.

“Yes,” she said, frowning, realising he was going to dismiss her for her family’s financial status.

“You know what I have to do?”

“Yes,” she said again, now thinking he was going to pull out the I’m-too-important-for-you-because-I’m-the-Boy-Who-Lived trumpcard, not that she’d heard him do it before, Malfoy usually took care of that.

“You know what I’m capable of? How dangerous I am?”

“What on earth are you going on about? It’s a dance, for Merlin’s sake,” she returned hotly, now uncaring if she pissed him off, certain he was going to turn her down. “And, of course I bloody well know what you can do. Defence Club, remember?”

His impassive face broke into the biggest smile she’d ever seen on him. He stared at her, almost in awe, then coughed and attempted to school his features down into the non-expression he was wearing before. He wasn’t too sucessful.

He took a deep breath, and the mask was back. “Ask me again tomorrow. Don’t tell anyone.”

He turned and left the room, leaving her completely bewildered. Usually she could tell if a guy liked her or not, but this was bizarre. Having to wait until tomorrow was a little weird, but she would give him until dinner before she gave up on him.

“What the hell was that?” Harry exploded out of his chair and gestured wildly at the blank puddle. “Why didn’t I tell her ‘yes’?” he screeched. “Why did –”

She held up a hand, then pointed down again.

Harry stood over a cauldron in his lab at the Manor, brewing with quick, sure movements. Malfoy was leaning against the wall watching him with a smirk. The door opened and Snape walked in.

“What are you two doing here? It’s a school night.” He looked at the potion ingredients and watched Harry’s motions for a minute. “And whom, may I ask,” he said in a darker tone, “is that for?”

Malfoy’s smirk became wider. “Ginny Weasley,” he said mockingly. “She asked him the the ball today.”

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He was hoping for a little more time before he’d have to deal with this. “Black is going to have a field day,” he muttered. At least he understood his son. Every other girl that had approached Harry (and there were many, if Draco was to be believed) had been summarily dismissed without a second glance. He obviously felt strongly about the Weasley girl.

Harry was staring at his father, daring him to say anything, waiting for a negative response. Instead, Severus Snape took the prepared ginger root and removed half. “Remember when we planned this? Hers will be different to the others we’ve done. For this… type…you should use less ginger and more belladonna.” He took the plant and shreadded a little more onto the work bench. “Much more caution is required in these situations,” he said slowly.

“Thanks, Dad,” Harry said softly, and they looked at each other, neither talking about potions.

“Well,” Malfoy announced loudly. “Now you don’t require my services for the final step,” he gestured to the two of them, “I’ll be returning to school where a pretty Ravenclaw is awaiting my presence.”

Harry snorted. His father would be of better assistance anyway. Less…vocal.

The water swirled and stilled.

Just before dinner, Ginny Weasley approached Harry as he was walking up from the Slytherin common room with Malfoy. She was ready for any response he had to give her, not really understanding what yesterday had been all about. Without needing to embarrass herself by asking to speak to him alone, Malfoy left Harry after a quick parting word in his ear.

Harry motioned for her to follow him, and they stopped around the corner where there usually wasn’t much traffic. Before she could gather herself to ask that question again, he touched her hair.

He fingered the few strands that fell across her face and tucked them behind her ear. “I’ve been wanting to do that for months,” he admitted quietly. “It’s just as silky as it looks.”

She stared up at him, breathless. Hesitantly, he rested the hand on her shoulder and gently pulled her to him. The kiss was simple and chaste. She was happy to start slow, hell, she was ecstatic they were starting at all.

“Um, Harry? What was yesterday about?”

He snapped out of his happy-dreamy-first-kiss moment and became all business, lifting a finger to her lips. Mesmerized by the calm power that radiated off him, she watched silently and he pulled a potion vial out of his pocket, and something else that glinted in the low light.

He gave her the potion. “Drink it?” he asked simply. She frowned at him warily, wondering if this was indeed the stupidest thing she’d ever done. But she saw the hope in his eyes and tossed it back, surprised to find it tasted of cinnamon. He held his hand out for the glass bottle and replaced the stopper, putting it back in his robes. Then he held up a delicate silver dewdrop necklace, with some unidentifiable swirling fog inside it. Undoing the clasp, he walked around her to fasten it at her neck.

She turned to ask him what all this was about, the gift taking her by surprise, but he silenced her again. She watched as he closed his eyes, then gasped when he opened them again, they were glowing.

He spoke. Low, raspy, sibilant sounds. She kept very still, not knowing what was going on, but trusting him nonetheless.

When he was done, she felt a pulse through the necklace and where it rested above her heart. He closed his eyes for a moment, and when he opened them, they were back to normal.

“Never take it off.”

She nodded her compliance. “What…why did… does this mean that…?”

He smiled again. “Ginny Weasley, will you go out with me?”

“Yes!” She threw her arms around him and his arms went around her reflexively, but tightened after he regained his balance. Still giddy, she pulled back and asked him, “So now will you tell me what you did to me?”

“All of my family are protected. Now you are too.”

She tilted her head in question. “Protected? How?”

“I developed the spell after I was old enough to understand my…position. My father and godfather have tattoos, my godmother wears earrings, Draco and Ron have rings and Hermione has an anklet.”

She felt special to be the only one with a necklace, a gift typically associated with romance. “Thank you.”

He smiled and took her hand. “Walk to dinner with me?”

The End.