Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10



The knock on his office door made Severus scowl. Glancing at his pocket watch, he confirmed what he already knew; his office hours had ended five minutes ago.

"Come!" He barked, leaving the intruder no doubt as to his feelings on the matter.

A tall figure slid into the room, his Slytherin uniform perfect, Prefect's badge gleaming in the torch light that haloed the golden hair. "Professor?"

Severus completed his correction the first-year essay in front of him before he answered. "Yes, Mr. Bastion?"

"I need permission to do research in the Restricted Section, sir and was hoping you'd write me a slip."

Severus looked down his nose at the seventh-year, but Bastian didn't flinch, having known Severus since his own student days. His family was one of the moneyed pure-bloods, close associates of the Malfoys, and Severus knew Bastian's father and uncles had been marked Death Eaters.

"I don't recall approving any type of research which would require access to the Restricted Section, Mr. Bastian."

Bastian shifted slightly, throwing a look over his shoulder, before leaning in closer. "May I speak freely, Professor?"

Intrigued, Severus laid his quill down, nodding his head. He could see the apprehension in Bastian's eyes; hear the hesitation in his voice.

"I want to continue something that Reg was working on before he left Hogwarts." Bastian's voice lowered. "He was trying to find way a person could undo death if they died."

Severus frowned at the cryptic statement, but held his tongue as Bastian's eyes beseeched him. The something clicked into place. Reg was Regulus Black, two years older that Bastian and his life-long best friend. The research must have something to do with the Dark magic Regulus had discovered the Dark Lord was using, and led to his disillusionment. The magic that might explain the tainted organic matter lodged in Rys' scar. Severus refrained from looking towards Rys, playing quietly in his corner.

"Who provided him with the permission to do his research?" Severus asked carefully, trying to get a perspective on the request.

"Slughorn, but he didn't ask Reg why, knowing of his 'outside' interests."

Severus narrowed his eyes. "Was this...just prior to his leaving Hogwarts?"

"Yes."

Severus watched as Bastian's eyes flashed to Rys, his son looking up and smiling shyly. The decision was easy for him then, and Severus removed a fresh piece of parchment and wrote out the slip.

"I would be very interested in what your research uncovers, Mr. Bastian." Severus handed him the pass. "As would others, so I caution you to take care that you don't mention it to the wrong audience."

"Yes, sir," Bastian told him, a grim expression. "I'll not be taking it home over the Christmas hols, if that is what you mean."

Severus inclined his head in agreement and stood. "I will make myself available to you, should you need assistance, Mr. Bastian. Good luck."

Closing his office door behind the boy, Severus leaned back against it for moment as he watched the quiet little boy playing with his soft toy and little cauldron. There were times that the responsibilities of fatherhood seemed overwhelming and he wondered how in the world he'd ever prepare his son for what faced them. Especially after the trauma of being abused and unloved for so many months, seeking love and affection from a man who knew so little of it himself. Then Rys would look up at him, with those eyes, so like Lily's, and the trust in them would rock him to his core. His son gave him the strength to continue.

Rys had his toy unicorn already packed in his cauldron and stood waiting for Severus to secure his office. Picking him up, Severus settled Rys on his hip and walked through to their rooms. Masly stood in front of fireplace, hopping from foot to foot.

"Master Severus!" Masly wrung his hands.

"Yes, Masly?" Severus set Rys down, hoping that the house-elf didn't have a summons from the Headmaster.

"Master Bernard is wanting you to have dinner at the cottage, sir."

Severus sighed. It had been a long day, and he'd retrieved Rys early from Hannah as Phillip was coming home after a week-long stretch at St. Mungo's. The smile that lit Rys' face, though, warmed his heart and Severus relented. The toddler had a way of making the little annoyances melt away.

After a trip to the loo, Severus led Rys back into the sitting room, only to find Altor pacing in front of the tapestry of Merlin. He bowed low as they entered the room and Rys ran up to pat him on the arm.

"Professor Snape, I is carrying a message from Professor Rutledge who be looking for your rooms this afternoon." Altor paused, giving Severus a look that conveyed dislike of the current Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. "I is telling him that you were too busy brewing and I be delivering the message."

Severus narrowed his eyes. The only time he'd been unavailable was when he had Flooed to the Mays to pick up Rys.

"Thank you, Altor, I must say I find his timing, unusual." Severus glanced at the fireplace. "Is there a method of Flooing where no one else would know we have left?"

Altor smiled his understanding, and nodded. "The house-elves broke the fireplace in the kitchen, you would be liking to come with me."

Allowing a smile to curl his lips, Severus thanked the house-elf, pondering the fact that Altor would have made a marvelous Slytherin, had he been allowed to attend Hogwarts. They followed him down to the kitchens, where Severus and Rys Flooed to the cottage in Hogsmeade. It seemed to Severus that they had to do an extra twist before leaving Hogwarts behind.

The torches flared as Severus stepped out into their sitting room and he gave Rys a kiss on the cheek before setting him down. Stretching his back, Severus smiled as Rys copied his movements and then followed him into the kitchen. It had been a long day and Severus was surprised that dinner wasn't already waiting for them. Glancing down at his son, Severus noticed that Rys also appeared tired. Bending down, Severus lifted him up to sit on the countertop.

"Would you like an omelet for dinner?"

Rys looked at him. "Wit' some cheese, Daddy?"

"I believe I can manage that."

"Severus!"

Bernard's voice boomed through the cottage and Rys jumped at the sudden sound as Severus turned towards the doorway.

"We've brought take-away for dinner!"

Severus lifted Rys from the counter, glad the toddler had recognized Bernard's voice and relaxed immediately. His solicitor walked into the kitchen dressed casually, followed by Sirius Black. Severus fought to keep the frown off his face as he saw the man. He hadn't seen his former nemesis since their brief conversation at Hogwarts after Dumbledore summoned him. Bernard had relayed the information that Black was petitioning for the immediate return of his money and family holdings, in order to loosen his mother's hold on the estate. The primary interest to Severus was Regulus' property and whatever clues might be found there.

Black transformed as soon as they came through the door and Severus just managed to refrain from rolling his eyes as the black dog nudged Rys' shoe with his muzzle. Settling his son down, Severus watched as the Animagus pranced around him and Rys' smiled. The smile turned into a grin as Bla…Sirius got Harry to pet him on the head.

"Stop scowling," Bernard told him under his breath. "He's actually very grateful to us for getting him out of that hellhole."

"Past grievances are hard to forget," Severus tried to keep the bitterness out of his voice, but Bernard's sharp look told him he'd not been successful. "I am trying, Bernard – I know how important it is for the baby to be protected from those who would hurt him or use him!"

Setting the white take away boxes down, Bernard laid his hand on Severus' arm. "Something is bothering you other than enduring Sirius Black playing with your son."

Leaning closer, Severus helped open the tops of the boxes, the wonderful aroma of Italian food wafting around them as he told Bernard about the conversations with Bastian and Altor. He hadn't even realized that he'd been on edge since closing his office door. Retrieving plates and cutlery, Severus took a deep breath as he handed them to Bernard, whose face had taken on a grim look during their discussion. Severus could see that Sirius was sitting on the floor, transforming back and forth between his human and Animagus forms, with a softly laughing Rys patting his head.

"What unequivocally determines that you are dead, without hope of coming back to life?" Bernard asked as he watched Severus fix a plate of pasta for the two-year-old. "Something that's organic?"

"Your soul," Sirius interjected, glancing up at them. "That's why the Ministry uses the Dementors at Azkaban, and administers the 'Kiss'. There are ancient rituals, spells, and…," he looked pointedly at Severus, "potions which can be used to resurrect an intact body."

"Rys." Severus beckoned his son over, running a through his hair to reassure him, before sending him to the sink to wash his hands.

"Sirius was finally allowed into his family's London home, today." Bernard announced, seating himself at the table.

Severus arched an eyebrow. "Really, and did you discover anything?"

Sirius brushed off the seat of his pants with his hand and sat down as Severus checked Rys' hands and lifted into his chair. Sliding the bowl he'd prepared in front of his son, Severus waited until Rys was concentrating on his foot before turning his attention back to Sirius.

"I went through his room this morning, which Mother had preserved just as he left it, and found his clothing but not much else. His school truck was in the wardrobe, but it was empty, as was the drawer where Regulus always kept his special possessions." Sirius paused to eat a fork full of pasta. "I think the house-elf may have gone through and hidden everything in there. Regulus was his favorite and the foul thing would do anything for my mother, he's almost as barmy as she it."

Severus nodded, his mind still processing the implications of preserving a soul. "Have you spoken to Dumbledore since the day you were cleared?"

"No, and I expected to, because in amongst his insistence that he'd always believed in my innocence, he mentioned summoning Remus Lupin back from wherever he is." Sirius gestured with his fork. "I still can't believe that Remus never tried to talk to me or to check on Ha…Rys."

"I am certain he was discouraged from doing either by Dumbledore." Severus told him, his dislike of the last of James Potter's friends was evident. "I haven't heard anyone mention him since…that Halloween."

Rys reached over to pat his hand, hearing the tightness in his Daddy's voice, no doubt. Severus managed a smile, and put another fork full of pasta in his mouth. This seemed to appease the toddler, who went back to eating.

"I don't understand it either, but then again, Dumbledore was the one who cast the Fidelius Charm for James and Lily, and knew I wasn't the Secret Keeper." Bitterness crept into Sirius' voice and Severus found himself nodding his agreement.

"So if you didn't find any of Regulus' personal effects when you searched his room, where would they be?" Bernard interjected, getting them back on track.

Sirius twirled his fork absently in a pile of spaghetti noodles. "There's a lock cabinet in the drawing room that Mother might have had them put in, as well as the large armoire in the upper sitting room, and I wouldn't put it past that blo…." Sirius glanced at Rys, "…house-elf to have taken some of it to where ever the thing sleeps."

Severus watched Rys move his noodles around his bowl as they continued to discuss where and what they might be looking for. The fact the Remus Lupin would be coming in response to Dumbledore's summons was puzzling, though, unless the Headmaster believed that the last of the Marauders could talk so sense into Sirius. Lupin had been the most intelligent of that band, good at potions, quiet and soft spoken; he'd been someone Lily included in their small study group. That was until their fifth-year when Severus had discovered the secret Lupin, and Dumbledore, had kept from everyone: Lupin was a werewolf.

"That sounds like a complication we don't need." Bernard met Severus' eyes. "Can we get into the house to do a full search?"

Sirius shook his head. "My dear mother still has control over the house, and while she can't keep me out, I can't go against her will. Any searching will have to be done quietly, like I have been, a little bit at a time."

"Even if Lupin has a plausible explanation for his absence, he wouldn't be allowed to help you with the house." Severus sighed. "And if we are talking about something in which to preserve a soul, then it could be small, right?"

Bernard shook his head. "I don't know. Just how big is a soul?" He looked between Severus and Sirius. "The organic part of it anyway?"

Frowning, Severus set his fork down. "You can't live without a soul, so we are really talking about a piece of a soul, aren't we?"

A fissure of fear ran down his spine. The thought of someone slicing up their soul in the effort to become immortal both repulsed him and terrified him. It would take the darkest of magic to do something like that, wouldn't it? The other two men stared at him, both with the same reactions reflected in their faces. Had the Dark Lord actually found a way to slice pieces of his soul off and preserve them against his own death?

A movement at his side brought Severus' attention back to his son. Not for the first time, he wondered if Rys understood any of what they were discussing or just reacted to Severus' feelings, but the toddler held himself stiffly and had given up any pretense of eating. And Severus knew a silencing spell would be useless.

Leaning down, Severus kissed Rys' head. "Would you like to try some of my noodles, sweet boy?"

Rys looked up at him and nodded, a smile slowly lighting up his face. Severus slid his chair back, reaching over to lift Rys into his lap. The boy sat stiffly as Bernard continued his conversation with Sirius, and Severus cast a silent Muffliato. Rys glanced at him before opening his mouth for the forkful of pasta, slowly relaxing against Severus as he was fed small bites of ravioli. The warm weight of his son leaning against him seemed to have a calming effect on Severus as well.

Next thing Severus knew, Bernard was shaking his shoulder and grinning at him. Rys was curled in his lap, sound asleep.

"Time to get back, Severus, before you are missed." Bernard cleared the table with the flick of his wand. "Sirius is going to work on gathering anything that might have belonged to Regulus and check the Black library for books on Dark spells or immortality."

Severus yawned as he stood, settling Rys more comfortably in his arms. "I will monitor Bastian's progress and see if Phillip has made any headway in his research."

Reaching up, Bernard brushed Rys' hair back from his face. "Will you consider allowing Sirius to spend some time with the baby, Severus? He really wants that."

Taking a deep breath, Severus released it slowly. "I will consider it, Bernard."

"Excellent!" His friend grinned. "See you Saturday next!"

Severus nodded, before following him through the Floo.




"Severus!"

Albus Dumbledore's voice boomed through the sitting room and Severus frowned as Rys flinched violently. Gathering his son in his arms, Severus stepped out of the bathroom where they'd just completed their morning routine. Dumbledore's head was in the fireplace, the only part of the Headmaster that was allowed into his rooms without invitation.

"Yes, Headmaster?"

"Ah, Severus, dear boy! I need you to chaperone the children into Hogsmeade this morning as Professor Rutledge has been unexpectedly called away."

Anger blossomed in Severus' chest. "I've made other…"

"Sorry if is an inconvenience, but you are the junior professor, Severus." Dumbledore cut across his words in a hard tone. "Do bring little Harry, he'd have a grand time. Ten minutes in the Great Hall, Severus."

Closing his eyes, Severus wrestled with his temper until he had managed to get it under some semblance of control.

"Masly!"

The house-elf appeared beside him. "Yes, Master Severus?"

"Find Sirius Black and tell him that Rys and I have been assigned to chaperone the students to Hogsmeade, if he could meet us there." Severus ground out, trying to keep his tone level.

Masly nodded and disappeared with a near silent pop. Rys leaned closer, kissing him on the cheek, and Severus hugged him to reassure his son the anger he was feeling wasn't directed at him. Hogsmeade was the perfect place for Rys to get hurt, lost, or worse. Severus wondered once again what Albus Dumbledore sought to achieve with all his manipulations. He'd almost succeeded in completely isolating Rys and putting him in a position that might have strengthened the child's character even as it starved him for approval and love. If Dumbledore had stepped in when Harry showed up at Hogwarts, giving the boy his first taste of both, he'd have secured the boy's devotion.

Setting Rys down, Severus Summoned their cloaks and helped the toddler fasten his, making sure his hood properly covered the toddler's head. The weather had turned cold in the past few weeks, reminding Severus that Halloween would soon be upon them. There had been no developments from anyone in the ensuing time and Severus was feeling apprehensive. Sirius had packed a box of objects for them to test for Dark magic residue and Phillip had been discretely researching how organic matter could become tainted with Dark magic. Bernard had petitioned that the Black vaults be returned to Sirius, so that they could be searched as well, but they yielded nothing useful. The wills seemed to have vanished completely.

Double-checking that Rys had his Heritage bracelet on, Severus lifted his son, settling him on his hip before striding out of their quarters towards the Great Hall. The crowd of milling students parted as he approached, and silence fell over the entrance. Checking permission slips at the doors, Minerva raised an eyebrow at the sight of them, looking from Severus to Rys and then back to Severus again. Severus shook his head minutely. Whatever game Dumbledore was playing, Severus wanted someone he trusted in the castle should he need help.

"In orderly rows, everyone!" Professor Flitwick, leading the students. "Off we go!"

Severus could feel eyes watching him as they walked away from Hogwarts, towering over a streaming of chattering children. The day was clear and bright, but cold and Severus was thankful that his hair covered his ears. Rys seemed fascinated by the cloud of steam his breath created every time he exhaled. The giggles from Rys as Severus blew out a breath helped ease his anxiety a bit. Perhaps Rutledge truly had been called away and Severus was being paranoid, but considering all possibilities had kept him alive during his spying days.

"Professor Snape?" A quiet voice came from his left

Severus glanced to the side. "Good morning, Mr. Bastian."

"If you don't mind, sir, I'd like to speak to you for a moment."

The teenager sounded apprehensive and Severus nodded, slowing his steps to allow some distance from the students hurrying towards Hogsmeade. Bastian glanced over his shoulder before leaning closer.

"The last book Reg took out was a book on Quidditch strategy, so I asked Madame Pince if there were any books missing from the Restricted Section that I should look for when I was checking the dorms." Bastian's voice dropped. "She said there were several that had gone missing, one being a book on Dark spells called "Atrum Veneficus Animus"."

Severus frowned at the archaic Latin Dark Spells and the Soul? Keeping his face neutral, Severus nodded. "The book must still be somewhere within the library or it would have triggered the automatic retrieval spell put on all books in that particular section."

"Really?" Bastian brightened. "I'll have to keep looking then! Thank you, sir!"

Severus inclined his head as his mind continued to grasp the very idea of why a book about Dark spells to use on a soul would be allowed in the library of a school like Hogwarts. He couldn't fathom the type of research that would require a book on the theory and application of any Dark magic such as this one suggestion. Having never been allowed access to the Restricted Section as a student, Severus wondered what other books were housed there. Perhaps he should make a point of looking himself.

"Daddy!"

Rys pointed toward the rear of the Three Broomsticks as they approached Hogsmeade and the large black dog that was waiting for them there. A feeling of relief swept through Severus at the sight of Sirius' Animagus form trot towards them. Even after several meetings, Severus still thought the man was a git, but he'd kept his word, working diligently to help them. Sirius had also proven that he was absolutely devoted to Rys and his son had become more comfortable around his godfather, especially in this form.

Setting Rys down, Severus took his right hand, keeping his wand hand free, and Sirius fell in on Rys' left side. The toddler was all eyes as they walked down the street, students passing them on all sides laughing and chattering. The line outside of Honeydukes was long, but orderly. The line going into Zonko's was more unruly, settling when Severus scowled at them. The Three Broomsticks hummed with activity as they walked past.

A shout from The Hog's Head drew Severus' attention as they headed towards Madam Puddifoot's. Turning to look over his shoulder, Severus felt the hair stand-up on the back of his neck as a figure in black stepped from behind a building. Someone screamed and time slowed down as Severus instinctively threw himself at his son, his wand in hand. Grabbing Rys, Severus spun around to face his adversary, and never saw the cutting hex that slammed into his wand-arm. He found himself thrown to the ground

"Give me the brat, Snape!"

Sirius Black was suddenly between him and their attacker, red spell light shooting from his wand. Rys threw himself across Severus' chest, his small hands trying to stop the bleeding. Severus wrapped his good arm around his son and curled his body protectively. Looking around frantically for his wand, Severus was surprised to see it appear in Rys hand.

"Got it, Daddy!"

The look on Rys' face was fearsome and Severus could only nod as he dug his boots into the dirt and holding Rys to his chest, surged to his feet. There was another flash, this one blinding Severus as he lurched to one side and he felt Rys flinch violently. Severus pivoted, trying to find Sirius as he felt the magic building in his son.

"No, Rys!" Severus whispered urgently, becoming aware of the silence that seemed to surround them. "Don't show them your magic, sweet boy."

"Severus!" Filius Flitwick's high-pitched voice rose above the din and Severus could see a jet of purple spell light flash past his face as his vision cleared.

With a crack the black-clad figure Disapparated and Sirius turned towards him.

"Blood hell, Snape! Your former house-mates don't seem to like you much! That was Avery, I think."

Severus nodded in agreement, as Sirius' larger hands joined Rys' in an attempt to stem the blooding. Multiple cracks of Apparation filled the air and Filius spun around to protect them. The maroon robes identified the new arrivals as Aurors and Severus narrowed his eyes as he exchanged a glance with Sirius. A large, dark-skinned man strode up to them as the rest of the Aurors cleared the area and sent the students on their way. Flitwick followed, herding the back towards Hogwarts. Severus tried to stand up straight as the Auror looked at them suspiciously, eyes lingering on Rys as they took in the scene.

"Stand still, Professor Snape!"

The Auror reached towards them and Severus felt Rys stiffen, but then relaxed as the Auror gingerly pulled at his robes. "Auror Black, if you can hold the child for a moment, please?"

Severus frowned briefly. He'd forgotten that Sirius and James Potter had been Aurors together. Rys tightened his grip on Severus' arm, but looked up at the Auror without fear. Knowing that neither he nor Rys was the trusting type, Severus went with his instincts as he met the dark man's eyes.

"It's all right, sweet boy, let Uncle Sirius hold you for a moment."

Rys didn't protest as Sirius lifted him from Severus' arms, carefully staying close enough for the toddler to reach out and touch him. Severus turned his attention to where the Auror had ripped the sleeve of his robe to get to the slashes along his arm. The hands were strong and sure as they moved to expose the wounds.

"I am Kingsley Shacklebolt," the large man said quietly. "You are lucky, Snape, any deeper and these would not be treatable."

With a murmured spell, Shacklebolt sealed the deepest gash on Severus' forearm, the tissues knitting back together, and the skin sealing over it. Rys watched closely one hand resting lightly on Severus' head.

"I'm surprised to see a squad of Aurors suddenly appear in Hogsmeade, Shacklebolt." Sirius said, the question clear in his voice.

Chocolate brown eyes glanced up as him. "The reporter from the Daily Prophet was in the Ministry Atrium after interviewing the Ministry when an owl arrived with an anonymous message that announced the Boy Who Lived would be in Hogsmeade this morning."

Severus stiffened as Shacklebolt's wand worked down another slash and he could hear Sirius' sharp intake of breath.

"What!"

Reaching for his son with his uninjured arm as Rys flinched at the outburst, Severus glared at Sirius. "Brilliant, Black!"

Rys buried his face in Severus' throat, fists clenched in the front of his robes. Sirius mumbled an apology and the toddler lifted his head to look up at him, but didn't release his grip on Severus. Shacklebolt had paused to watch the scene before returning to his healing of the lacerations on Severus' arm.

Straightening up, the Auror seemed to consider something before speaking in a soft voice. "I am assuming that this fine looking young man is actually Harry Potter."

Rys reacted by turning his head, the movement pulling his hair back from his forehead and exposing the lower part of his scar. Loosening one hand, Rys poked himself in the chest. "'M Rys 'Nape!"

The Auror smiled broadly at the toddler, his white teeth gleaming against his skin, a smile which Rys returned hesitantly, and Severus relaxed a bit. It seemed that Rys had decided this man was trust worthy.

"Yes, this is my son, Harry James Snape." Severus said in an equally soft voice as the sound of an argument could be heard behind them.

"James knew, Kingsley." Sirius entered into the conversation. "Severus was Lily's best friend and when we thought James was dead, she turned to him for comfort."

The dark eyes narrowed as they met Severus'. "The Ministry and the Wizengamot was told the baby was placed with his Muggle relatives for his own safety…"

"And they failed him, dismally." Rys frowned at Severus' bitter tone, patting his face gently. "He has been in my custody since June."

"And your guardianship is unchallengeable?" Shacklebolt asked as the heated voices could be heard from a short distance away.

Glancing over his shoulder, Severus could see the photographer from the Daily Prophet exchanging words with a formidable witch in maroon Auror robes. Had Dumbledore arranged this to expose the fact that Severus was Rys' father and show him how dangerous the world was for both of them? Or was this a way to challenge Severus' custody of his child by Dumbledore or someone with even darker intents?

"Does this have anything to do with a certain blond former Slytherin making frequent visits to the Ministry?"

Shacklebolt said this with a smile, the sunlight glinting off the gold hoop in his ear as he extended his hand towards Rys. Severus' tried to suppress the wave of apprehension that flooded through him at that thought, while he watched his son tentatively put his hand in the Auror's. Watching it be swallowed up, secure in the grip of the large fingers, Severus saw his son shy smile grow. It was almost as if Rys' magic reached out through their contact, Shacklebolt appearing captivated by the toddler.

"It could," Severus acknowledged. "The Potter wills have disappeared."

"I think we need to get out of here," Sirius leaned closer, nodding his head toward the reporter, whose wand was now shooting sparks in the air. "I don't think the baby needs to be exposed to that."

Shacklebolt squeezed Rys' hand gently, before letting go and straightening to address Severus. "I will see what I can find out, quietly, at the Ministry. Let me escort you to the end of the block."

Moving towards the Hog's Head, the Auror strode in front of them, with Sirius bringing up the rear. As they stepped onto the street, Severus paused in front of Honeydukes to look around, noting the large group of students already disappearing around the curve in the road. Rys wiggled and Severus set him absently on the ground as he rubbed his aching forearm.

"Make sure Madam Pomfrey completes the healing on your arm, Professor." Shacklebolt stood beside him, watching Rys as he stood gazing into the shop window.

"Severus, and I will," Severus answered, wishing he'd had the time to take his son into the sweet shop as he'd planned.

Sirius caught his eye, jerking his head toward the door, before disappearing inside. Keeping an ear tuned to the sound of the raised voices, Severus ignored the ache in his forearm as he watched Rys looked longingly into the window. Tired of his son being denied the simple pleasures of just being a child, Severus opened the door and beckoned Rys forward.

"Five minutes, Black!" He barked at the grinning Animagus, who took Rys by the hand.

"He is extraordinarily quiet for a small child."

"His Muggle relatives didn't encourage him to make any kind of noise." Severus tried to keep the disgust out of his voice. "They weren't exactly enamored of the burden that had been thrust on them."

"Severus," Kingsley met his eyes. "I was in the chambers when Albus Dumbledore told the full Wizengamot that he'd placed the Boy Who Lived in accordance with the wishes expressed in his parents will."

"Yes, so he says," Severus said, the bitterness creeping in. "He is not pleased with my 'high-handed' actions."

Silence stretched out between them and Severus could see the struggle going on in the Auror's mind attempting to reconcile the facts, as he knew them. He vaguely recalled the man from his own student days, Ravenclaws and Slytherins did not socialize as a rule.

"How would I contact you should I find any useful information?"

Severus looked into the dark eyes, seeing only sincerity in their depths. "Bernard McBride is our solicitor and Black is staying mostly in London at the moment. Either of them would be happy to talk to you."

"Daddy!"

Rys came bursting out of Honeydukes, his eyes practically glowing with excitement, and a smudge of chocolate on his chin. An answering smile curved Severus' lips and he caught the toddler, lifting him high despite the pain, and hugged him to his chest.

"Unca Sir'us got Rys toc'late!" His son shoved the half-eaten chocolate enthusiastically into his face and Severus barely avoided a collision with his nose.

"Uncle Sirius got me chocolate," Severus corrected automatically.

Rys' face fell and his lip trembled as he held up the sweet, making Severus feel like crying. "No, sweet boy, you are Rys, remember? Say 'Uncle Sirius got me chocolate.'"

Rys scrunched his face up in concentration. "Unca Sirius got me 'toc'o'late!"

"And he said thank you, about a dozen times." Sirius muttered, coming up beside them. "But now I think we better get you two back."

"Yes," Shacklebolt agreed, his eyes scanning the remaining crowd. "Merlin only knows what headline the Prophet will run on this as it is."

Severus wiped the smudge off Rys' chin, hugging him. "Foul Death Eater kidnaps Boy Who Lived."

"Probably worse," Shacklebolt reached out to lay a hand on Rys' back. "I'll see what I can find."




The headlines were just as bad as Severus had feared, the picture of him with Rys' clasped tightly against his chest, blood running down his wand arm below the inflammatory words. The terrified look on his son's face twisted his stomach every time he saw it. Bernard had handled the many inquires, official, unofficial, and the downright hostile. Sirius had stepped in when wild accusations were flung at Lily, speaking as James' best friend. In a voice that held barely-contained fury, he had spoken to those that had tried to vilify the act of comforting a friend and the importance of the vows that Lily and James had taken to each other.

Albus Dumbledore had not spoken to Severus of the incident, beyond an inquiry into his injury at dinner that night. Severus often felt the wizard's eyes on him often as he attended the required meals in the Great Hall. He took to eating at that meal lunch as Severus would not subject his son to prying eyes. The students themselves seemed to take the news in the stride of those with woefully short attentions spans, although several of the older Slytherins seemed to adopt an attitude when Severus dealt with them. They were the ones he was wary of, all children of the Death Eaters, scattered and leaderless, hungry for revenge.

As Halloween approached, Rys seemed listless and even more subdued than normal. Severus knew that part of it was the toddler picking up on his own worry. His godfather had taken up temporary residence in the cottage in Hogsmeade, sleeping in Rys room with a four-poster that they'd moved in where the cot had been. In his Animagus form, Sirius had been accompanying Rys to the Mays, much to Farsh's displeasure. The corgi's throaty growl against a 'dog' so much larger than him had made Hannah and the boys laugh, but didn't stop until Sirius had transformed and shown the fierce puppy that he was not there to take over anyone's domain.

Their thorough actions of documenting Severus' claim to his son was paying off by disputing every claim made so far, with the exception of the Wizengamot, who had the final determination. Rys had been silent and clung to Severus during the interview with Wizarding Child Services, an agency that Severus could barely refrain from railing against for their lack of interest when his son had been suffering at the hands of Petunia Dursley. When Phillip Mays had joined them during the second interview, Rys was happy to see him, even allowing the healer hold him as he answered questions from the inspector. Neither Severus nor Phillip expounded on the circumstances of Rys' condition when he was first taken from the Dursleys or offered additional information on the toddler past was specifically requested.

The hearing with the Wizengamot was to be held on the 31st of October, a Monday, to make a final decision, the choice of day a bitter irony for Severus. Filius Flitwick had come forward, offering to take Severus' classes so that he could attend the hearing, Minerva helping as well, and Severus was grateful for the support. Albus Dumbledore had simply nodded, an inscrutable look on his face, and Severus still did not know whether the Headmaster would try to take his son away. As Chief Warlock, it put him in a position to influence the entire body, Severus knew.

The closer date approached, Rys seemed to become withdrawn, as if he knew that his father might lose that battle for his custody. Severus seriously considered several times just taking the toddler and disappearing into the Muggle world, but the worry of adequately protecting his son always won out. Most of the challenges to his custody had been from pure-blood Potter relatives who Severus knew had dubious connections to those who supported the Dark Lord. Sirius had also had word that Remus Lupin would arrive in time for the hearing and neither of them knew what to expect from the former Marauder.

The night before the hearing, Rys began running a low fever, his appetite nonexistent, shifting Severus' worry from the hearing to his son. Allowing the toddler to sleep on his chest, Severus managed short catnaps as Rys slept restlessly. His mind didn't seem to be able to settle down and was as edgy as his son. Memories of Lily and their shared childhood adventures, their falling out at Hogwarts, and Severus' resentment of James Potter swirled around. It had taken a near-death experience at the Dark Lord's hands after Regulus had defected and the realization the it was Lily that the Prophecy had spoke of to convince Severus of the error of his ways. He may not have liked James Potter, but Severus grew to admire him after Potter's returned from captivity for his fierce devotion to Lily.

A whimper from Rys had him up at dawn, trying to find some way to soothe the toddler. Coaxing a little porridge down, Severus added a touch of the children's Analgesic Potion to the small cup of milk that Rys was persuaded to drink. Rys stood quietly while Severus dressed him in his best robes, before hurrying through his own preparations. Minerva slipped in silently just before they left, smoothing Rys' hair and patting Severus on the arm.

"Things will be just fine, Severus," she told him determinedly. "No one is going to separate you for the wee one. Off with you now."

Taking a deep breath, Severus nodded and stepped into the Floo. It seemed to take forever before they stepped out into the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic. Bernard and Sirius waited for them, a line of Aurors moving into place between them and a throng of witches and wizards trying to get a look at the Boy Who Lived. Pressing Rys' face into his shoulder, Severus followed Bernard to the lift that was being held for them, riding in silence to Level Nine, before following him down the stairs to the courtroom. Sirius followed them, with the formidable witch from the Hogsmeade incident brought up the rear.

There was no need to speak; they all knew what was at stake. Rys lifted his head as they stood before the wooden doors, giving Bernard a smile and grasping the hand Sirius extended to him.

"Merlin, Severus, the baby feels warm!" Sirius leaned closer.

Severus leaned his cheek against Rys' forehead and swore under his breath at the heat he felt. "It started last night and I'm not sure what the problem is. I thought he might just be upset about today."

"Possibly…"

The ancient doors creaking open halted their conversation and they filed in silently. The entire compliment of the Wizengamot watched silently as Bernard and Severus approached the chair sitting in the center of the chamber. A second smaller chair, minus the chains, had been placed beside it, presumable for Rys. Stopping alongside the chair, Severus saw that Albus Dumbledore sat in the seat to the right of Millicent Bagnold, Minister for Magic, a sign the Minister would be conducting the hearing. Sirius slipped into a seat in the front row, where Phillip Mays was already seated. A flash of blond hair told Severus there were less friendly people in the audience.

Minister Bagnold banged a wooden gavel on the desk in front of her to silence the crescendo of voices. "Silence! This hearing will remain orderly or I'll throw the lot of you out!"

Rys jumped at the noise and shifted his position to look up at the assembled witches and wizards. Bernard stood solidly beside him, his formal robes marking him as an officer of the court.

"Madame Minister, I stand before you on behalf of Severus Snape and his son, Harry James Snape."

"Mr. McBride, have your client set the child down and be seated." The Minister scowled at Severus.

His heart in his throat, Severus rubbed Rys' back before trying to lift him down. The toddler whimpered and held on tightly to Severus.

"Please, sweet boy, Daddy needs to sit down." Severus pleaded softly, aware of the eyes watching them.

"No! Stay with Daddy!" Rys looked up at the Minister. "P'ease!"

The witch studied Rys for a moment, ignoring Dumbledore as he leaned towards her. "And what is your name, young man?"

Rys glanced at him and nodding, Severus held his breath. "Ha'ry 'dames S'nape."

"And you will be a good boy if you stay with your…Daddy?"

"Yes, p'ease!"

"Fine, be sure you sit quietly." The Minister paused, nodding pointedly to the chair until Severus sat down, chains rattling ominously. "Now, Mr. Snape, your solicitor has presented all the evidence you provided to justify your claim of paternity and custody, which the Wizengamot has reviewed at length. I speak for the Wizengamot when we say that there are several irregularities that we'd like to ask you about."

Severus settled Rys on his lap, the toddler's head resting against his chest as small fingers played with the buttons Severus' cuffs. Bernard moved to stand beside him, but remained silent. He could not speak unless he was asked a direct question or Severus became incapacitated.

"What would you like to know, Minister?" Severus spoke in a clear voice hoping it didn't betray his nerves.

"There is the matter of how the child came into your custody." Bagnold consulted a piece of parchment in front of her. "It appears that you paid a large sum of money to Lily Potter's relatives to gain custody."

"Yes, ma'am, I did," Severus acknowledged. "A fee is customary in the Muggle world when a child is adopted through a private source. The Child Services worker reviewed it before she signed the papers."

"What prompted you to take that course of action, Professor Snape?"

Severus looked down at his son; Rys bright eyes seemed dull and afraid. "I knew Lily's sister as we had grown up together, and knew she was jealous of Lily, hating anything that had to do with magic. I had been told to stay away from my son, but I'd taken a vow to protect him. I had to make sure that Petunia wasn't blaming Rys…Harry for what she saw as his mother's sins."

Minister Bagnold frowned at him, her eyes narrowing as she consulted her notes once again. "You went against the wishes of the parents who had raised this child for the first eighteen months of his life, went against the promise you made to Albus Dumbledore not to pursue your claim of paternity, and took him from everything he'd known?"

Severus closed his eyes for a moment, feeling Rys' reassuring weight in his lap. "I understood from Lily that she did not want her son to be placed with her sister, should anything happen to her. The Petunia I knew from my childhood was vindictive and petty, and would not have welcomed Lily's son. I went to Surrey to check that Harry was being cared for properly, but when I saw that he wasn't, I did what I could to gain legal custody of him."

"You believe that would have been Mrs. Potter's wish, but you have no way of proving that?" The Minister's eyes were on Rys, who had dragged Severus' hand into his lap, and was playing with his ring.

"No, Minister Bagnold, I have not been able to find the wills of either Lily or James Potter."

"And the child has had any choice removed as well, then."

Bernard took a step forward. "Madam Minister, perhaps asking the child yourself would alleviate some of your concern. He may be on the shy side, due to the abuse he suffered at his relatives hands, but Rys doesn't seem to have a problem expressing himself."

"Well, young man," the Minister leaned over. "How would you like me to send you back to your aunt and uncle."

"No!" Rys' reaction was instantaneous as he jumped up, flinging his arms around Severus' neck, a wave of magic passing through them as the toddler yelled. "Stay with Daddy!"

The gavel banged again and Rys flinched with each blow, trying to burrow into Severus' chest. The door at the back of the courtroom slammed open, Severus' tensing as he wondered what was next.

"Out of the way!" Kingsley Shacklebolt's voice boomed through the chamber.

A tiny woman walked in, her back straight and only the curve of her shoulders giving a hint of her advanced age. Her face was wreathed in wrinkles and set in lines of disapproval as she marched towards Severus, Rys still sobbing into his shoulder.

"Millicent Baghold! You ought to be ashamed of yourself for terrorizing the baby like that! Didn't I teach you to protect these precious treasures, instead of frightening the wee lad?

"Aunt Lucy!" The Minister's face paled. "I mean, Madam Burke!"

The elderly witch glared at Baghold. "Seems to me you should be more concerned about the parenting than the parentage of this sweet boy!"

Madam Burke turned to Severus and extended thin, veined hand towards Rys, meeting his eyes. "I was nanny to James Potter and his father before him, Mr. Snape, and met this sweet little boy when his mummy and daddy brought him to see me just over a year ago."

Severus nodded, still unsure why the woman was here, but stayed silent along with Bernard as Auror Shacklebolt stood behind her. Rys lifted his head and turned his tearstained face towards the now soft voice, looking at her first and then at the large Auror. The slender figure in his arms relaxed slightly as the witch lay a gently hand on his leg.

"Your mummy and other daddy brought you to see me last year, sweetums, " Madam Burke told him quietly. "You remember, Miss Lucy?"

Rys hiccupped softly before disentangling his hand to touch the weathered cheek. "Lu'ty?"

The witch smiled, ignoring the increasing murmurs from the crowd. "Yes…"

"Madam Burke, kindly explain this…" Albus Dumbledore's voice had lost its genial tone.

"Oh, keep your pants on, Dumbledore!" The witch snapped, pulling a scroll of parchment out the bag hanging from her arm. "I have copies of the wills of Lily and James Potter, which they left with me last September. I had no idea that the instructions hadn't been carried out."

"Lucena…" Dumbledore started again, only to be cut off.

"Enough! I didn't come forward before because I believed you would do what was best for the baby!" Turning back, Madam Burke handed the scroll to Severus. "This is the final proof you need to validate your claim, young man, and I will expect your regular visits from now on." Leaning forward, the elderly woman kissed Rys' cheek. "I might ask how many Galleons it takes now to make vital records disappear from the Ministry's care."

The witch disappeared behind Shacklebolt as the crowd erupted in a babble of voices. Bernard took the parchment as Severus turned to look up at the Wizengamot, his eyes catching a flash of anger on Albus Dumbledore's face before it was smoothly disguised. An Auror that Severus didn't recognize stepped forward and took the wills from Bernard, moving past them to the front of the Wizengamot where the Minister levitated them up to her desk. Dumbledore didn't even glance at them as Baghold unrolled them and began to read.

Rys squirmed in his lap, whimpering quietly as he rubbed his forehead against Severus' chest. Smoothing the rumpled hair back, Severus could feel the heat radiated off the toddler. It might have been the stress of the situation, but the lightning bolt scar appeared to be redder than usual and Severus brushed his thumb over it. The gavel pounding had both of them jumping.

"Severus Snape, please rise and step forward with the child." Minister Baghold's voice seemed loud in the sudden silence.

Taking a deep breath, Severus stood, sliding Rys to his hip and, with Bernard at his side, stepped away from the chain-draped chair.

"After reviewing the wills of James and Lily Potter, coupled with the evidence you have presented as the child's sire, full and complete custody of the minor child, Harry James Potter is awarded to you and he will be known from this point forth as Harry James Snape."

The gavel fell again and Severus felt the weight on his shoulders lift. A warm suffused him and Severus had to believe that Lily was finally at rest on this first anniversary of her death. The courtroom exploded with noise, but Severus found himself surrounded by Bernard, Sirius, and Phillip, with Kingsley Shacklebolt and a line of Aurors keeping the crowd back. Rys trembled against him as the courtroom was emptied behind them.

"Well, Severus," said a familiar voice at his elbow. "Congratulations seem to be in order."

Severus closed his eyes tightly at the smug tone of Albus Dumbledore's voice and was saved any type of response as Rys convulsed in his arms, vomiting all over the Headmaster's boots.

"Caught Kyler's flu, did you?" Phillip Mays' voice was a tad bit too jovial as he laid a hand on Rys forehead, ushering out through the dwindling crowd.

Severus was glad for the excuse to escape, he just wanted to take his son home and hold him close. While there were so many other uncertainties in their lives, at least he could savor this victory and know that his son could never be taken from him again, by anyone.

"Did you hear that, sweet boy?" Severus whispered in his son's ear. "You will never, ever have to leave Daddy!"

"T'ank you, Daddy." Rys told him, crying softly into his robes.