Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.
Special thanks to my Beta, bellatrix aka Harriet.
Chapter 2

‘Hmm… .now why would Snape’s voice come out of Oliver Wood’s mouth?’ Harry thought, dreamily. It was a very nice dream; he was chasing the snitch in a Quidditch match when he came up in front of Wood. Wood was shouting at him to look over him one moment, and the next minute he was yelling at him to get up. ‘What was wrong with him? Now that’s just too much.’ Harry thought.

Wood was shaking him now. After a second Harry realised that someone was really was shaking him. ‘What? It was morning already? I just went to sleep a couple of hours came one or two hours ago.’ Harry thought. He opened one eye and saw someone who he had never imagined to see in his bedroom. It was his… his professor. ‘But… no, I am still sleeping. May be Professor Snape was the referee of the match.’ Harry thought, still half nearly asleep.

“Mr. Potter, if you don’t get up this instant you will be one very sorry Potter.” Professor Snape said.

Harry got up quickly and looked at his professor, “Professor, what are you doing here? Or am I still dreaming because you can’t be here. Uncle Vernon would kill you first, and then he’d will kill me.” Harry realised suddenly that he was babbling in front of his least favourite teacher and blushed furiously.

Snape was amused by Potter’s…s little speech and he smirked when he saw the boy blushing. He quickly stopped himself from smirking anymore. The boy had been so confused when he woke up, and it was that confused look that made Snape desist from glaring at the brat or making any snide remark comment. ‘Honestly, the boy appears so small and innocent whilst sleeping. One would I almost forget that he’s the same brat who nearly gave me almost heart attacks twice last year. Humph.’

“Exciting as your speech technique is, your guess is wrong on many levels. Whilst I do understand that you wouldn’t expect me of all people to be in your room, but neither did I imagine you to be locked behind a heavy-bolted door. What did you do to deserve this little punishment, Potter?” Snape asked while wondering if there ever was an appropriate reason to lock up a child.

As Harry heard Snape speak, he knew that the man had insulted him at least half a dozen times but he was too busy keeping himself awake to identify and count the insults. Ooooh! He was so sleepy. ‘Snape must be an overgrown bat. Why else would he be in my room at midnight?’ Harry thought grumpily. Harry realised that being silent was not the best thing to do as Snape hissed silkily, “Perhaps you don’t understand my question. Hmm… I should simplify it so you might possibly understand but I really don’t want to waste any more of my precious time . Now, go pack your things and be ready in ten minutes. We are leaving after I have a word with your… .relatives.”

Harry’s eyes went huge and he spluttered, “But… but I… you…I mean I have to stay here. Dumbledore said so. Yes, I asked him at the end of the last term if I could stay at Hogwarts and… and he said no. Something about blood wards. Pretty stupid thing, if you ask me.” Harry shut his mouth with a snap as he realised what he had said and in doing that perhaps… perhaps he had insulted the Headmaster. His round eyes met the intimidating glare of the Potions Master. Harry squirmed a little, uneasy with the narrowed, black, glinting eyes staring at him intently.

“Did the Headmaster not know that you were unhappy with your relatives, Potter?” Snape sneered.

“Weeelllll. I didn’t exactly say that. I said that I wanted to stay at Hogwarts, I didn’t say why.. but they are just semantics. The main point is, I don’t get to stay at Hogwarts so I’ am not coming with you.” Harry said, very happy with himself for not cowering in front the snarky professor for once.

Snape studied the child in front him. He was telling the truth, but not complete truth. Snape was a man who was able to make decisions at any time , and this present situation was easy for him to resolve. He smirked as he imagined Potter’s reaction to his little announcement. He saw that the boy wasn’t moving to get ready following his instructions, and so he said, “Potter, you don’t have to worry about Professor Dumbledore being angry at you. I am ready to take any responsibility if the need arises. Now, go and be a good little boy. I am waiting downstairs and if you don’t come down within ten minutes there are various potions I would like to test that require human body parts. Consider yourself warned.”

It seemed that Potter’s eyes were generally that round since they didn’t become smaller- if anything they were more round if that were at all possible. Snape went out of left the room to give the boy time and privacy to change and pack.

Inside the Back in his room, Harry was bewildered, confused and a little bit afraid. Well, very afraid. He didn’t think that his Snape would use him as a potions ingredient but he wasn’t about to test his Professor’s statement. He gulped again as he remembered what his Professor the man had said and began packing. As he was packing, he wondered why his teacher was here. He knew for a fact that he wasn’t top on the list of Potion Master’s favourite people list. In fact, he was pretty sure that he topped one list that was Snape’s least favourite list. Well, Harry hated him, too. At least, he thought he hated the man… because whilst Harry could never forget that that it was Snape who had saved him at the Quidditch match, he also could not forget that but still Snape perpetually taunted him, made snide comments, and… and he breathed down his neck in potions class. So he was… the greasy git. Harry giggled to himself as he imagined Snape’s reaction if he should hear what Ron said about the Potion’s Master. As he was changing his T-shirt, he heard Uncle Vernon roar. ‘Uh-uh. What was Professor doing that made Uncle do that mad? Well, I guess just a wizard is in his home would make him do that be enough. Oh, dear.’ Harry thought as he cringed at the noise. He tried to take his trunk down but unfortunately he was too small, to do that so he just took Hedwig’s cage and went down. As soon as he reached the room where his uncle was he wished he was back upstairs. His uncle was very, very purple in the face and that was saying something. His hands were clenched as if he wanted to do something but couldn’t do it.

“Mr. Dursley, I would appreciate if you don’t shout. My ears were working perfectly, last I checked. Now, would you grace me with an answer or do I have to use forces? It was simple question, I presumed, or are you as slow and dim-witted as your son and your nephew, Mr. Dursley?” Snape sneered at the big man.

At that remark s Harry heard that he glared at his Professor. ‘Why did he have to bring me into it? He… he was comparing me to Dudley who can’t even cope with simple maths like division and multiplication. How dare him!’ Harry thought resentfully. Harry huffed - to making his presence, as well as his indignation, fully known.

Snape turned and saw that his insult had reached the brat’s ears. Good, he thought. Serves the brat for being late! Although he had a sinking sensation that Albus would clearly have the reason to gloat. ‘Well, I will not give him the satisfaction of being smug. I want to be the one telling him the condition I found the boy in. Ha ha. I would love to see his guilt-ridden face. Honestly, I would have thought that his Golden Boy would have been so very well pampered. Alas, because of this visit my all my assumptions have been proven wrong. Oh, well, at least. I can still have the power to intimidate the brat.’ Snape thought, remembering the horror on the boy’s face when he had threatened him.

“Do you understand what I am telling you, you freak? I will not let him go with you. You don’t look nice, even for abnormal people like your kind. What if something happens to the boy and those other freaks come and question me? Oh, no. I don’t want any freakiness in my house.” Uncle Vernon’s rant would have continued, had it not been for Snape’s silencing spell.

“Now, Dursley, you will listen to me, and you will listen to me very clearly. I asked you a simple question that you have not answered and so I am not going to ask it again. Perhaps you have forgotten that I introduced myself as Mister Potter’s schoolteacher at his school. I am here to take remove Mr. Potter from your custody as you are seen as I deem you unfit to care for Mr. Potter here him. I am going to investigate this matter further, but before that you are going to make no noise or anything when we go or else the result of that deed would not be pretty and you will remain silent as we take our leave, unless you should wish something… unpleasant to happen to you.” Snape said, his face taking on a very menacing expression, which scared Mr. Dursley more than he could put into words.

Harry stood shocked as Professor made his way towards him. No one had fought or even said anything in Harry’s favour before but Snape seemed to do so almost as if he meant it. Perhaps… perhaps he did mean it. Before he could think any further a silky voice said, “Where is your trunk, Potter? What are you doing just standing here? Go and get it!”

Harry jumped and said timidly, “I can’t bring it down. It’s…its too heavy but… but I’ll try to bring it down very quickly, sir.” But Harry didn’t get the chance to go upstairs as a hand gripped his arm and he was led inside the room where Uncle Vernon was sitting on the Queen Anne sofa that was perched near the electric fireplace. He kept his distance, just standing by the door, afraid his uncle might take it upon himself to teach him lesson. When Snape noticed it, he barked, “Well, sit!”

Potter slid down to sit on the floor as if his legs were no longer fully working. Snape sneered and left the room to get precious Potter’s trunk. He went upstairs and wondered if he had no’t come when he had, would Potter have been locked inside the room his entire summer holidays? Well, no point in thinking about it. Severus went inside the room and picked up the trunk which was not as heavy as Draco’s was. He came just in time to see Dursley leaning dangerously towards Potter who was shaking like leaf but trying to stand up to that oaf. Snape’s dislike towards the muggle escalated several notches. He quickly strode towards them and pulled the boy towards his side him whilst he towered the big man.

“Dursley, I told you the results would not be pleasant if you dido anything. Now, face the consequences for not taking me seriously. Densaugeo!” Snape said, as Harry watched in abject horror and if you allowed him to, in fascination as his uncle’s teeth started becoming bigger by the second. Harry wanted to laugh openly but didn’t dare so he settled on a small giggle.

Snape turned and indicated for Harry to follow him and Harry did. As they were going out of the door, they heard a shriek from Harry’s aunt. Harry giggled like a small naughty boy when Snape glared in his direction. Harry quickly stopped giggling and asked tentatively, “Sir, where are we going? I mean are we going to Hogwarts or to the Burrow, you know Ron invited me to live there in visit this summer? Do you think Dumbledore would allow me to go there for a few days?”

As Potter was chattering away, Snape felt a headache coming. He snapped at the boy, “Stop it this instant. In normal circumstances I would tell you, but there is nothing is normal about this one so I will not. Just come with me and for Merlin’s sake, be silent.”

“But…” Was as far as Harry got because as suddenly Snape whirled around and whispered, sending a shiver down Harry’s spine.

“Please, Potter. For once in your life, listen to what I say. Do not speak another word, nod if you at least understand this simple request?” or do you not even understand a simple request?” Snape said.

Harry just nodded and started trotting behind his teacher wondering what he would say when they met Dumbledore.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading the chapter. Someone once said that reviewing is good for health. I tried it, it's true, you know?