Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Inside the Headmaster’s office, the Potions Master sneered, “I thought that you would go to lengths unknown to anyone to save your Golden Boy, Albus. Why, I actually thought that had it been possible you would be on your way to adopt the brat.”

As soon as Severus said this, Albus had an idea. His eyes twinkled with full force and the two present Professor got an uneasy feeling. They always knew that whenever the old man’s eyes twinkled that way, he was going to apply some kind of twisted logic to present problem. The most infuriating fact was, it worked almost evertime but not everyone was happy with it. As a rule Snape was never happy so now he was seething silently.

“Severus, you have given me such a nice solution and I am very happy. Well, I am not saying that someone should adopt Harry but a gaurdianship would do, don’t you think?” Albus said, his eyes twinkling behind his spectacles.

Minerva wasn’t really surprised that Albus had some idea but honestly, gaurdianship? It was not the best way to handle the problem. She knew that Harry was not happy with his…housemates. She refused to call them his relatives. But…but who would take Harry’s gaurdianship? Weasley’s would be happy to but they could possibly afford another child to care and there wasn’t any other who would take the gaurdianship for only Harry’s sake. Minerva mentally shivered as another thought struck her. Malfoy family still had certain respect in Ministry and if the news that Harry Potter was without a gaurdian then she didn’t want to think what would happen.

Severus was trying to calm himself as he was still angry with Albus for even suggesting that Potter stay with his...Dursleys. He couldn’t believe that Albus would just leave that child with those people because of bloodwards. Suddenly he remembered what Albus had said to Harry….umm Potter.

“Albus, how much do you know about bloodwards? Is it really enough to back your statement to Potter?” Snape sneered, silently hoping that Albus really didn’t know that one little detail about bloodwards because if he did know it then Snape was unsure what to do.

The Headmaster looked up, confusion written all over his face. “What do you mean, Severus? Of course, I know enough about bloodwards to back my statement to Harry. Whatever gave you the idea that I didn’t know. Bloodwards gives the person safety because he or she is near their relatives or parents. Isn’t that what this is about? To give Harry the safety he needs?” Albus said, still not understanding the young man’s question.

“Albus, for Merlin’s sake! Don’t you know that the bloodwards work if and only if the person loves his relatives or his parents and the feelings are reciprocated? How could you do this? How could you not do the complete research and gave the boy to the…those people?” Snape nearly shouted but controlled himself.

Dumbledore went pale as he heard what Severus implied. He stood up, his movements jerky. Snape noticed that the Headmaster’s hand was shaking and he felt a little ashamed about his outburst. Perhaps he should have been a little more considerate.

All this time, Minerva hadn’t said anything. She was shocked of course that Albus didn’t know that little fact about bloodwards but even more shocking was how Severus had reacted. He almost seemed angry with Albus and concerned about Potter. ‘Now isn’t that the curiest thing? Severus seemed angry on behalf of a student and that student being Harry Potter. Oooh! Oh, dear! I must think about it.’ Minerva thought. A naughty smile spread on her face.

Snape grew uneasy as he saw Minerva smile. Something about her smile didn’t quite managed to keep his temper down. So he did the best thing he could, he snapped, “I don’t find anything funny or even close to it at the moment. Although if you do find it, do share with us.”

Instead of Minerva growing stern about him snapping at her, her smile seemed to grow if that was possible. Albus seemed to have noticed the smile on the Deputy Headmistress’s face because he looked confused.

“Umm…Minerva, what did you find funny? Seriously, you shouldn’t be this slack about Harry’s future. We should be worrying and you are smiling.” Albus said, a little annoyed that Minerva was still smiling.

After Snape was sure that he would say something he would regret later, Minerva said happily, “Oh, Albus! I have found the best solution for this problem. You know what I mean, don’t you?”

Albus, being Minerva’s friend for over fourty years, caught on her meaningful look. ‘Oh, dear. So that’s what Minerva was thinking. Well, it seems like a good solution if a certain someone agreed to it. Hmm. He would have to work with it.’ Albus thought, beaming at both of the Professors present in his office.

As Snape saw that now the Headmaster too was smiling, his unease grew rapidly into annoyance. “You both have gone barmy at last or you have found an appropriate solution. So which one is it? I have a very strong suspicion about the first one.” Snape said.

The Headmaster came near Snape, beaming at Snape. He said something to the Potions Master and the reaction on the Potions Master’s face was worth capturing.

Snape said or rather screeched although in the years to come he wouldn’t ever agree that he did any such thing, “WHAT? Albus, are you mad? Of course, you are. You and Minerva here have gone totally barmy. Whatever posessed you to even think something like that?”

Outside the office, a young boy was trying hard not to sleep. He was hungry and now he was feeling sleepy, too. ‘Snape told me that he was going to have a word with Dumbledore. Is Snape that slow? A word shouldn’t take that long, should it?’ Harry thought, resentfully. He was quite unware that he was pouting until a voice said, “Mr. Potter, how delightful to see you! Come, lad, what’s the reason for that pout? And what are you doing, waiting outside the Headmaster’s office?”

Harry swore he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard his Charms Professor’s voice. He looked up and saw that Professor Flitwick was looking at him with an enquiring but a happy look. Harry decided that his Charms Professor was a lot better that Snape. He smiled and told his teacher that Snape had brought him here when he found some problems about something. He didn’t explain what that something was and the tiny teacher never asked. Instead, he invited Harry to his chambers so that he could tell some of the funniest stories he had heard. Harry gladly accepted the offer. They went to Flitwick’s chamber and enjoyed their time.

After two hours or so, Harry couldn’t stop the yawn that escaped him. His Professor noticed it, too. He said, “Come, lad, we will see about your sleeping arrangements. Hmm. Well, I do have an extra room so you can take it for the night. Go on, sleep is important for you. I’ll see to your luggage. Hmm…you have an owl, don’t you?” Flitwick asked. As Harry nodded, Flitwick said, “Would it be alright if I sent your owl to the owlery?” Harry nodded again.

So that was how Harry ended up sleeping in his Professor’s extra room.

Inside the Headmaster’s room, Snape was still ranting about how wrong that suggestion was. He couldn’t understand how in Merlin’s name had Albus and Minerva come to this staggerring, idiotic, silly conclusion. He was tired of explaining so he came out of the office. He remembered suddenly that he had left Potter to wait for him and it had been more than three hours. ‘Oh, Merlin! Where is Harry….I mean Potter? What could have happened to him outside the Headmaster’s office. Oh, once I found that brat, he is going to pay and he is going to pay so much.’ Snape thought angrily although there was panic, too. He was not going to admit it to himself. He was beside his worry umm…anger when Albus came out of the office.

“Severus, what happened? And where is Harry?” Albus asked and then a little hesitantly, “He is not here, is he? Where could he have gone?”

“Oh, I don’t know, Albus. The castle is very interesting to a twelve year old boy, there are many places he would find. I am not in a mood to play hide and seek with that brat.” Snape said.

“Severus! I didn’t know that you were ever in a mood to play Hide and Seek. You should have told me, I like that game, too.” Minerva said, her voice having teasing quality.

“Minerva, Harry is not here. I want you to alert all of the teachers. Tell them to try to find him. Ghosts, too.” Albus said.

“Yes, of course. I will do that at once.” Minerva said, her voice now grave.

As she had informed Sybill, Poppy, Pomona, she went to alert Fillius. As she said her reasons for worry, Fillius said that the lad was with him. Minerva was relieved beyond belief. She quickly informed Albus through school fire. Albus agreed that removing Harry from there at that time held no point. He was as safe as he could be with Flitwick. At this, Flitwick beamed proudly. Although he admoinshed Dumbledore for forgetting that there was a child outside his office who might have been hungry and sleepy.

Snape was really satisfied that Potter had not gotten himself into trouble instead he was with a Professor. Good, very good. So why was he feeling that it should have been a certain Potion’s Professor with whom Potter should be. Snape was confused about his feelings towards Potter. After the incident with Dursleys he acknowledged the fact that Potter was not a spoilt brat but he was by no account a good little boy. ‘Oh, he did come to the confused state again, didn’t he?’ Snape thought, grimacing.

Chapter End Notes:
Ah, I realise that I haven't posted a single chapter and I am feeling really terrible. I dug out my disc where I had saved my story. It is not Betaed and I am going to contact Harriet if I can but in the mean while enjoy the chapter. I am sorry for so long a delay. From now, on, weekly chapter posting is the way to go.