Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Lily and Severus make plans to keep Lily safe.
Chapter 3: James

1979

Severus stood stiffly on the hearth rug next to the impressive stone mantel in his sitting room, while his wife scurried around the spacious room rearranging pillows on the sofa and chairs. Severus was too annoyed to be amused that Lily was resorting to Muggle cleaning techniques, as she often did when she was nervous, instead of flicking her wand to put the pillows in their proper places.

Lily paid no attention to her husband’s foul mood although she had been surprised earlier that he hadn’t yet resorted to the heavy-footed pacing he normally favored when he was angry. Lily took one last look around the room to ensure that it was in perfect order before wiping a hand across her brow. Lily glanced over at Severus then and sighed as she realized he was watching her with a resentful gaze. She placed her hands on her slim hips with a scowl.

“Don’t you dare look at me like that, Severus Snape,” she scolded him and Severus blinked in surprise at the rebuke as if he hadn’t realized he had been frowning fiercely at his wife. Lily laughed at his expression and watched happily as the sound caused her husband to relax his rigid posture slightly and one side of his mouth to curl into something half-resembling a smile.

“James is likely to step on your foot if you stay there,” Lily told her husband playfully.

Severus frowned at Lily again but he did move away from the fireplace and into the middle of the room. Lily tilted her pretty face toward her favorite chair pointedly and Severus with a sigh of his own, sat down in it. His frown deepened as he sank down too far into the old chair’s depths.

Lily smiled as she walked over to Severus and dropped with an unladylike plop onto his lap. She leaned her head on his shoulder and Severus reflexively brought one arm around her waist and drew her closer into his chest. Lily took his other hand, running her thumb over the calluses on his palm.

Severus watched Lily tracing lines on his hand, noticing as her fingers lingered against the spots of skin that were hardened after years of chopping and stirring potions in his lab. He and Lily had spent many hours holed up in Severus’ lab together, Lily sometimes acting as her husband’s assistant, but more often involved in developing potions of her own. Lily’s best subject at Hogwarts had no doubt been Charms, but that didn’t take anything away from her formidable ability with a cauldron.

“Sev.” Severus tensed at the ominous tone in Lily’s voice. Lily brushed her fingers lightly over the hand she held in her own in an unconscious effort to reassure him before continuing. “James is already willing to do this. Please try not to antagonize him.” Lily kept her voice even with an effort, but Severus clenched his jaw anyway and Lily suppressed another sigh.

“I will be civil,” Severus told her, his words stilted. Lily squeezed his hand before turning slightly in his lap so that her back was to his chest.

“I’m keeping you to that, Sev,” she told him seriously. Severus didn’t respond but he did grind his teeth together in agitation. Lily only smiled and brought both of her husband’s arms around her and held them together in front of her waist. Severus relaxed as she leaned fully into his embrace and they sat there together in contented silence as they waited for James Potter to arrive.

As the Floo roared to life, Severus stood up, deftly bringing Lily with him and placing her off to his side with one smooth movement. Severus pulled slightly away from her, for decorum’s sake, but Lily held firmly to his hand. Severus didn’t pull away even though he did feel a moment’s resentment that Lily was going to insist on such a public display in front of Potter.

Severus’ face was a forced mask of calm and ease as Potter stepped sure-footed into their sitting room. Potter was smiling as the emerald fire died behind him, though Severus’ sharp eyes noticed Potter’s smile had faltered slightly as he took in Lily’s hand firmly intertwined with Severus’.

Severus almost smiled then as a rush of cold haughtier coursed through him. He had Lily and Potter was alone. But as fast as the feeling came, it vanished again. James Potter was here now and he was not only going to publicly declare a marriage with his wife but be claimed as the father of Severus’ own son.

A rush of bile assaulted Severus’ throat at the thought and Severus forced himself to clamp those thoughts down. He Occluded his mind and nodded graciously at his enemy.

“Good Evening,” Severus said politely.

Severus saw Lily glance up at him briefly before saying warmly to her old friend, “James.” Potter’s full smile shone down on Lily and she stepped away from Severus and firmly embraced Potter. “Thank you,” she told him simply and though it seemed impossible, Potter’s smile brightened.

Lily and Potter broke apart after what seemed too long a time to be considered proper, at least to Severus. But since he had already successfully quelled the urge to throw his old nemesis bodily from the room the instant he had touched his wife, Severus did not outwardly react.

Lily offered her friend a chair then sat on the sofa opposite Potter. Severus, after a moment’s hesitation, sat stiffly next to his wife, keeping a slight distance between them as decorum demanded.

Potter was watching Severus’ movements very closely, and he seemed smugly amused by Severus’ obvious discomfort, as if he thought Severus’ stilted movements were indicative of a rift between the couple. Severus suppressed yet another urge to rip James Potter’s smarmy face in half and waited for Lily to speak.

“What did you tell the others?” Lily asked James, to break the tension in the room.

James smiled slightly before answering. “That I’ve been seeing you for weeks. Sirius was furious when I told him I’d been keeping it from them.”

“I imagine he’ll be even angrier when you tell him we’ve married,” Lily said. Severus flinched slightly at the word as Lily laughed. James didn’t notice Severus’ reaction as all his attention was focused squarely on Lily. James laughed with Lily and nodded.

“Quite rightly too. It was almost impossible to get here tonight without Sirius tagging along. Remus and Peter were almost as bad, but they’ll be more hurt than angry, I think. I’ll smooth everything out with them though.” He paused and then asked tentatively, “You’re coming tomorrow then?”

Lily glanced again at Severus. Though he would look to anyone else the very picture of calm, Lily could see how much this meeting with James was costing him. She longed to reach over and take his hand but she knew too that Severus would not appreciate the gesture in front of James. Resigned, she turned back to James who was waiting for her to answer, the anxiety in his posture clear as well.

“Yes…Severus will come with us under a Disillusionment Charm.” Lily’s voice didn’t precisely make it a question but it was said as though she thought James would have an objection. James understood her tone and he swallowed, determined to make this easier on the woman that he still cared for.

“Right,” James agreed and was pleased when Lily favored him with a smile. He returned it before continuing. “I’ll Floo Remus in the morning and ask him to invite Sirius and Peter for tea. It’ll be best to do this just once.”

Lily nodded in approval. Severus, without prompting inclined his head slightly and Lily relaxed. Her ease didn’t last.

“I know we talked about this,” James began and then paused when Lily raised her eyebrows. James cleared his throat before continuing. “But…this would be easier if we could tell-”

James didn’t have a chance to finish before Severus growled, “No.” The single word was explosive over James’ smooth voice. James narrowed his eyes at the interruption but otherwise didn’t react.

“We can’t risk it, James,” was Lily’s unruffled response, but James was hardly mollified. He pointedly ignored Severus and instead focused completely on Lily.

“Lily, all of them are likely to be here fairly often. If we don’t tell them, how will we explain Severus’ presence here…unless of course he wants to make himself scarce,” he mocked.

Lily closed her eyes in anticipation of her husband’s indignant response. She wasn’t disappointed. Severus clenched his fists and narrowed his eyes, finally turning his irate gaze on the man sitting across from him.

“This is my home, Potter,” Severus spat.

James stiffened. “And these are my friends.”

“I don’t care who your ‘friends’ are. It is enough that I agreed to let them into our home at all. I will not allow Lily to be put at further at risk simply because you do not wish to keep secrets from a mangy wolf and the rest of his pack.”

“Lily wouldn’t even be at risk, Snape, if you hadn’t joined Voldemort,” James told Severus fiercely, his anger rising considerably at the insults aimed at the other Marauders.

“I did not join Voldemort, Potter. I created a ruse in order to keep my mother from harming my wife.” The vein in Severus’ temple was throbbing dangerously.

“And now we’re creating a new ruse to keep Lily safe,” James continued in a caustic tone, having no idea that the pulsing vein was a good indication that Severus was quickly losing his composure. “Bonding with Lily means we’re supposed to be creating a life together and a home together. A home in which my friends would be welcome. What else do you suggest we do?” The animosity was rich in James’ voice as he glared at the Slytherin.

Lily rested a soft hand on Severus’ arm before her husband could bite out a response. She turned to James. “We can’t tell them, James. I trust them too, but even Albus advised us to keep this between the four of us.” At the mention of his mentor, James forced himself to calm down. He nodded curtly at Lily and folded his arms over his chest in tacit acquiescence to her unspoken plea.

Severus smirked at his wife’s easy management of Potter. The pathetic Gryffindor obviously possessed no cunning and most likely couldn’t conceive of a friend, especially Lily, manipulating him.

Lily, though she could guess her husband’s line of thinking, ignored it and said instead to James, “Your friends are always welcome here. You’re to think of this as your home. We want you to be comfortable here, James.”

James stared at Lily for a moment before remarking in a hard tone, “They used to be your friends too, Lily.” Lily flushed and Severus fisted his hands in anger on his wife’s behalf.

“Mind your tongue when you are speaking to my wife, Potter,” Severus bit out with a snarl.

“Your wife doesn’t need you to defend her, Snape,” James retorted coldly.

Snape narrowed his blazing eyes. “You have no idea what Lily needs, Gryffindor.” The last word was delivered as an epithet and Severus watched in satisfaction as Potter’s face flushed in renewed anger. The satisfaction waned however, as Potter turned furiously to Lily.

“This is what you want, Lily? A man who insults who you are? A man who fills your life with danger? You could have been so happy, Lily,” There was no plea in James’ voice, only sadness and anger, mingled together with regret.

Lily opened her mouth to respond but Severus cut in. “Ah, yes,” Severus drawled. “Your pathetic ability to make Lily happy during your date to Hogsmeade resulted in a very happy night indeed. I’m sure you remember it, Potter, as I did escort Lily back to your dormitories the following morning.”

“Severus!” Lily gasped and watched in dismay as James’ face blanched and his hands began to tremble convulsively in his lap.

Severus didn’t have a chance to enjoy Potter’s reaction as Lily’s rebuke fell soundly on his ears. His lips thinned in response, not enjoying the sensation of being reprimanded like a child in front of Potter. Severus would not however argue with Lily in front of the other man, so he did the only thing he could. He met Lily’s eyes steadily as hers bored into his in silent reproach.

Lily narrowed her green eyes briefly until she was satisfied that her husband would not say anything further to upset James then she turned back to James. “Please excuse him, James. He shouldn’t have said that.” James looked up from his intent study of his hands and simply nodded and Lily noted that his color had returned to normal.

She smiled warmly at him. She had apologized more than once to James since that night and he had told her he’d forgiven her. Lily accepted that but she knew that James had never stopped loving her. The idea made her ache for James’ pain, but…she loved Severus and she nothing could change that.

To change the subject, Lily said to James, “Albus had a suggestion as well that will allow Severus to be around…without a Disillusionment Charm, that is,” she clarified, smiling slightly. James smiled slowly as well, probably at the image of Severus Snape skulking about unseen by the other Mauraders.

Severus frowned slightly at his wife in accusation for the joke at his expense even though he understood why she had done it. Lily almost laughed at Severus’ frown but turned her attention back to James instead.

“Albus will come to see you tomorrow to tell you that Severus needs protection.” Lily hurried on, ignoring James’ grin and Severus’ clenched jaw, “He’ll ask you to allow Severus to stay with us,” she continued to James.

Lily bit her lip and both James and Severus stilled their facial muscles, realizing how much they were upsetting Lily. “Sirius will object, of course…and the two of you will have to learn to get along to show him, and the others, that things are all right here….” Lily trailed off uncertainly and uncharacteristically began playing nervously with the ring on her left hand.

“Sirius will be a problem, yes,” James told Lily, his voice soothing. “But, please don’t worry about it, Lily. It may actually make things easier for awhile. Padfoot’ll probably refuse to visit.” James’ mouth quirked and Lily gave him a small smile, though it didn’t reach her eyes.

Severus, tuned to his wife in almost perfect harmony, understood Lily’s sudden reticence and silently cursed Eileen for putting them in this situation at all. Severus wished that Potter would go up to the guest room Lily had prepared and leave them alone. He wanted to reach out for Lily and hold her, reassure her that everything would be all right and to apologize for his childish behavior.

He would do neither of course, not while Potter was sitting across from them. An apology would not come easily from his lips, even in private. He settled for telling Lily quietly, “We will have to learn to get along,” Lily glanced at him, as if seeking for the truth in his statement. She looked only mildly reassured however until Potter nodded in agreement and only then, did her eyes smile.

Annoyed at his inability to soothe his own wife, without the infernal Gryffindor’s assistance, Severus stood abruptly. “If you’ll excuse me, I have potions to attend to in my lab.” After a short nod from Potter, Severus said stiffly, “Goodnight, Potter,” and took his leave.

--------------------------------------------

Lily found Severus in his lab, an hour later, bent over a bubbling cauldron. She shut the door quietly, automatically activating the silencing spells put in place by Severus years ago. Without a word, she went to the workstation next to Severus and took up the mortar and pestle and began attacking the Asphodel waiting there, pounding steadily to reduce the root to a fine powder for Severus’ potion.

Severus had of course noticed Lily’s entrance and had even followed her graceful movements into the room and to his side. He watched his wife smashing his pestle into the stone bowl on the counter, inferring correctly that Lily was still angry with him for his behavior earlier. He wisely stayed silent, allowing Lily space; she would speak to him when she was ready.

Lily didn’t know who Severus was currently brewing for and she wouldn’t ask. She had decided before Severus took the Dark Mark that she would never ask for details of Severus’ interactions with Voldemort. She had since discovered this had been a wise decision; he did not like to talk about the nights spent with the Death Eaters and their Lord.

Unsatisfied with the way this particular pestle was crushing the Asphodel, Lily laid it aside and went over to the large cabinet next to the door. Knowing the she was too short to reach the highest shelf where Severus kept his equipment, she dragged a stool from near the bench over to the tall cabinet.

Severus, who had looked up curiously from the potion he was carefully stirring, frowned as he caught up with his wife’s intention. He cast a quick Stasis Charm over the cauldron he was brewing with and strode over to Lily.

Lily had stepped onto the stool and was preparing to stretch upward toward the top shelf of the cabinet when Severus’ firm hand on her arm stilled her movements. She looked down at him questioningly and Severus shook his head at her.

“You shouldn’t be doing that in your condition, Lily,” he told her quietly but Lily snorted at him, a wholly unladylike sound that brought a smile to Severus’ lips instantly.

“I’m pregnant, Sev, not an invalid,” she told him, an amused lilt in her voice. Severus relaxed visibly at Lily’s use of his nickname, something he would only allow Lily to do. And he recognized, with her use of it, that she wasn’t nearly as angry with him as she should perhaps have been.

Buoyed by that thought, Severus brought his empty hand up to Lily’s other arm and drew her down firmly from her perch. She noised an objection but allowed him to lift her up, bringing her to stand in front of him. Lily looked up at him while Severus brought a gentle hand to her flushed cheek.

He looked down at her, his face a swirling mass of emotions and Lily waited patiently, knowing her husband was steeling himself for an apology. Lily wanted to tell him, as she always wished she could, that his mental preparation was not necessary. That she wouldn’t reject him, as had been done to Severus so many times before by his parents. It was enough for now that Severus stood before her, his mental defenses completely down, his own way of showing Lily that he trusted her.

Taking a calming breath, Severus finally told her, “I apologize for my behavior earlier, Lily. It was childish of me.” The sentiment was delivered in a smooth tone, though it was not lacking in sincerity.

Lily smiled at Severus as she wrapped her arms around his strong neck. Letting out the nervous breath he had been holding, Severus pulled Lily to him, resting his chin on the top of her head, immensely relieved that Lily had forgiven him. She was too easy on him, he knew, but he appreciated it all the same.

“I will try to get along with him…for you, Lily. I do not wish you to be uncomfortable in your own home,” he promised her and Lily nodded against his chest.

“Thank you. I know this isn’t going to be easy,” she told him and her statement was immediately followed by a loud yawn. Severus frowned slightly, reaching a hand up to take her chin. He tilted her head back with his fingers to study her closely.

“You are exhausted, Lily. You should be in bed,” Severus rebuked his wife gently. Lily rolled her eyes.

“You sound like my mother,” she huffed at him.

“Then your mother was a wise woman,” he told her sagely. Lily laughed and the sound

lightened Severus’ heart as he watched her emerald eyes sparkling merrily.

“Yes, she was,” Lily informed him seriously. “She was also of the opinion that husbands and wives should always go to bed together.” She glanced meaningfully at the cauldron behind them.

Obediently, recognizing his wife’s tone, Severus cast a stronger charm over the cauldron and the ingredients on the table beside it, to hold it in stasis until morning and taking the hand Lily offered him, followed his wife out of the lab.