Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Please note that this is a second year story that happens as if the whole chamber of secrets ordeal took place before the Christmas holidays.

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter

Warning: This story contains corporal punishment. Do not read if you have a problem with it.

Chapter 1

Severus Snape angrily paced his private chambers at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Today the students were to go home for the Christmas holidays. For the first part of term the school had been in chaos with the events of the Chamber of Secrets. Idiot Potter was in the hospital wing again. Was the boy trying to get himself killed? Severus had had enough. He marched himself to Headmaster Dumbledore’s office and knocked unnecessarily loudly on the elegant door.

“Do come in,” was the irritatingly cheerful reply. “Ah Severus, what can I do for you lad?”

“Headmaster this concerns Potter,” Severus ground out through his teeth. “Why is it that he thinks school rules are below him!” Dumbledore’s reply was rudely cut off. “Whoever you left him with obviously has not taught him obedience or anything judging by is apparently nonexistent brain.” Snape said furiously.

Dumbledore’s eyes raised slightly. “Well, Severus, what would you have me do? Perhaps let him stay with the Weasley’s?” Dumbledore knew it was out of the question. Harry needed either the blood protection of his aunt, or a particularly strong wizard. He did not deny that the child’s behavior was a cause for worry. Twice in as many years he has defied Lord Voldemort, but he was not yet ready for this task. He needed an adult at Hogwarts who he could trust, and Dumbledore was beginning to formulate an idea as to whom that might be.

“The Weasley’s?” Severus said in utter disbelief. “I would sooner take in the brat than allow the Weasley’s to adopt him” He missed the twinkling of Dumbledore’s eyes. “I owe it to Lily, my best friend,” he paused here and laughed bitterly, “my only friend to protect him.”

“Well, Severus, the options are quite limited. I believe the boy should be left in the care of his relatives, or the Weasley’s. Unless you are willing, as you said, to take the boy in.” Snape sputtered. “I did no such….. That’s not what I meant Albus Dumbledore and you know it! He sent a glare at the Headmaster. “The Weasley’s are out of the question, Potter needs a firm hand, not to be spoiled rotten by the Weasley’s or his relatives.”

Dumbledore merely leaned back in his chair. “What are you suggesting, Severus? With Vodemort returning in some fashion both years Harry has been here, it is crucial, now more than ever, that we settle him in on a routine in which he always has someone to count on. Someone who he can trust and go to.

“I see where this is going Albus, I will never, ever become the guardian of Harry-bloody- Potter, and that is final!”

Severus left the Headmaster’s office angrier than ever. In his left hand he carried a wrinkled adoption form, or, in actuality a copy of the adoption form that had already been filled out and was on its way to the Ministry of Magic where Dumbledore had pulled a few strings to allow it to be pushed through without alerting the press. The only task left was to get the Dursley’s to agree.

Severus was on his way to the hospital wing to collect his charge. He burst through the Hospital wing doors startling its lone occupant. Harry was sitting quietly in his bed waiting for his escort. He was slightly annoyed that he needed an escort. Honestly! It wasn’t as if he was leaving school for the Christmas holidays, it was just up to the common room!” Severus’s dramatic entrance startled him badly enough to make him topple right off of his bed. Before he could so much as gather his wits about him enough to stand he was grabbed roughly under the arms and hoisted onto his feet. Black eyes met green. Uh oh.

“You are coming with me, Potter.” Severus began to walk away. He was almost out of the door when he realized the child had not followed. Turning violently he strode back over to Potter and grabbed his arm. Resisting the urge to smack the brat upside the head he dragged Harry like a rag doll out of the Hospital Wing and in the direction of the Entrance Hall. Twice along the way Harry stumbled trying to keep up with Snape, but before he could hit the ground he was yanked mercilessly back onto his feet by the surly Professor.

“Professor?” Harry started to ask timidly.

“Silence, Potter.”

“You’re hurting me!” Harry cried in a desperate attempt to keep his arm in the socket.

“Oh, really,” Severus said coldly, “You’d prefer I didn’t drag you like a child.” Harry sensed a trick question but nodded his head anyway. “Fine” Severus turned Harry towards him and effortlessly slung the small boy over his shoulder. Harry gasped in surprise. “Fine, if you don’t want to be dragged like a child, I will carry you like an infant.” Harry’s anger surged. “Let me down,” he said dangerously as a 12 year old, small for his age boy could. When Snape ignored him and kept walking Harry began to pound on his back and kick his legs, but Snape’s grip held strong.

“I would advise you not to hit me, Potter.” Harry didn’t care, he continued to hit and kick all the way out to the front gate. Severus didn’t bother warning Harry before apparating.

Chapter End Notes:
Please Review!