Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Meeting The Potters

Albus Dumbledore looked up in surprise one morning towards the end of the summer term to see a pure black raven winging its way towards him along with the rest of the birds delivering the breakfast mail. While it was not unusual for him to receive mail from this particular bird, it was Severus’ raven Mercury, he was not expecting any news from Italy for several days. Minerva leaned over from where she sat on his right hand side

“A letter from Severus? We only heard from him a few days ago. I hope nothing’s wrong.”

Albus patted her hand in reassurance “I’m sure nothing is wrong. If it was anything serious or highly important Severus would have floo-called or used one of the two-way mirrors. I’ll read it after we’ve finished breakfast.”

As soon as breakfast was finished Albus swept out of the Great Hall with Minerva hot on his heels. As soon as they were up the stairs leading to his office Albus was breaking the seal on the letter and unrolling it

Dear Albus,

I apologise if this missive caused any concern for you or Minerva. There is truly nothing to worry about but I need to beg a favour of you. You are probably unaware but the Potions Guild conference starts in a fortnight in Madrid, and much like two years ago they have requested that I present a paper on the modifications that I’ve made to the Wolfsbane. Unfortunately, it’s the busiest time at the estate for my grandparents and I was wondering whether you and Minerva would be able to take care of Alex for the duration. As it is the end of term I fully understand that if you feel unable to do so but I’m sure that Alex would love to spend some time with you. I’ve instructed Mercury to wait for a reply.

Severus

Albus knew that he didn’t even have to discuss the request with Minerva. The witch had already disappeared to tell Poppy, murmuring excitedly about what they could do and how they could take him to Hogsmeade. Shaking his head slightly Albus drew a piece of parchment towards him and quickly penned a reply to Severus stating that they would happily look after Alex and even though it was the end of term Poppy would be able to look after him. he swiftly attached the scroll to Mercury’s talons and then turned his attention to the sizeable pile of correspondence he had received that morning.

Once again his defence professor, an auror by the name of Paul Wintergreen, had tendered his resigned. In addition, his muggle studies professor had left to have a baby and a rising number of complaints about the standard of teaching of History of Magick had led to him advertising for a new teaching post for OWL and NEWT level History of Magick. Of course, this had offended Professor Binns so much that he had walked, or rather floated, out leaving the new professor responsible for all seven years. 

Most of the correspondence Albus was receiving at the moment were job applications and many of them could be discarded without a second thought. He was half-way through the pile before he stopped in shock. There, on his desk, were applications from two people he had never expected to hear from; Lily Potter nee Evans and Remus Lupin. Remus Lupin, Hogwarts resident werewolf for seven years, along with his two best friends James Potter and Sirius Black, now both aurors at the ministry, had succeeded in making Severus’ life at Hogwarts miserable. Remus had been working deep in the heart of the werewolf community for the last three and a half years on behalf of the ministry, negotiating in an attempt to improve relations. Now that the negotiations had ground to a halt, he was looking for gainful employment, being unable to hold any other position at the ministry due to his status as a werewolf. Lily Potter, on the other hand, was simply a bored young house-wife with two children under the age of five who had enjoyed all the tutoring she had done whilst a student herself. Reluctantly, yet knowing they were some of the few suitable applicants he penned notes to them both asking them to come for interview at Hogwarts in a months time.

***

Two weeks later….

Severus sighed in exasperation as Alex ran and hid once more. The nearly four year old had been doing this for nearly two hours now and Severus was desperately close to losing his temper. Normally a sweet, tractable child, when it was announced that Severus would be attending the Potions Guild conference in Madrid whilst Alex went to stay with Grandpa Albus and Grandma Minerva at Hogwarts, the child that was normally Severus’ little angel had transformed into the spawn of the devil. He had refused to get dressed, refused to eat breakfast and then promptly run and hid. Severus gave along suffering sigh and resorted to Slytherin tactics. He pointed his wand at himself and murmured an invisibility charm. That done he placed his wand on his palm and whispered the ‘point me’ spell. The wand swung slowly and he followed its direction until he was stood in front of the wardrobe in his bedroom. Slowly he pulled open the door and, sure enough, there was Alex curled up in a ball wrapped in one of Severus’ robes with tell-tale silvery tear tracks on his face. Severus’ heart sank and he quickly muttered the counter to the invisibility charm before he reached into the wardrobe and picked up Alex. The child struggled furiously for several minutes before he gave up and just hung limply in Severus’ embrace. Severus walked over to the armchair in front of his fireplace and sat Alex in his lap, his heart breaking as he saw fresh tears making their way down slightly chubby cheeks.

“Now then Alex, are you going to tell me what’s the matter?”

Alex shook his head stubbornly “Nothings the matter”

“Now that’s not true is it little one. Something has to be the matter. This behaviour isn’t like my little raven, you never behave like this. Why don’t you tell daddy what the problem is and I’ll do my best to sort it out.”

“You’re leaving me!” Alex wailed, starting to struggle anew. 

Severus’ heart turned to ice as his son’s words sank in finally and almost dropped the boy in shock. He had thought that Alex was having no problems whatsoever with abandonment issues but then he supposed that he had never left Alex, even for an evening. Even when Alex had spent the odd evening away from the estate, Severus had spent the evening as well. Now, Alex was facing a fortnight away from his father even though he would be staying with his grandparents.

“Alex, I’m not leaving you. You’re simply going on holiday for a couple of weeks. You’re going to Hogwarts, you like spending time there with Grandpa Albus, Grandma Minnie and Aunty Poppy. I’ll be there to pick you up at the end of the holiday, I promise.”

Alex’s face had cleared slightly but he was still pouting with frown lines etched into his forehead. “I still can’t talk to you for two weeks. You’ve never left me before” he said piteously

“I know I’ve never left you before but I’m not leaving you with strangers or leaving you permanently. I tell you what, Grandpa Albus gave me a special mirror a few years ago that means he and I can talk to each other through the mirrors. How about, I take my mirror with me to Madrid and then every night I can call you on Grandpa Albus’ mirror and read you a story and say goodnight. How does that sound?”

Alex’s brow furrowed even more as he considered his fathers offer. Several minutes later he looked up at Severus and nodded “’kay. But only if you promise to talk to me every day. Promise?” his eyes looked up beseechingly at Severus.

“I promise. I’ll talk to you everyday. I’m not used to being without you either. I’m going to miss you.”

At his fathers last few words Alex’s face lit up in a huge grin “Gonna miss you too. Love you daddy.”

Severus smiled “I love you too Alex. Now, will you get dressed and pack some toys so that we can floo to Hogwarts? I have to be in Madrid tonight and I’ve got to come back and get myself ready when I’ve dropped you off at Hogwarts.”

As soon as Severus finished speaking, Alex jumped off his lap and went to get dressed and find his favourite books, the ever present Blackie and, of course, Jupiter. Just over thirty minutes later Alex was ready to go with his favourite books and blanket in his little bag along with Blackie whilst Severus held a bag containing enough clothes for the fortnight. Alex said goodbye to his grandparents and scooped Jupiter into his arms. Severus had to admit he was proud of his acquisition and was starting to become suspicious that there was more than a little creature blood running through the kittens veins. The little black cat had taken to Alex like a duck to water and followed him everywhere, more than a little protective of his young master. Severus wrapped an arm around Alex’s shoulders feeling hands tangle in his shirt and he flung the floo powder into the fireplace before stepping in and shouting

“Headmaster’s office, Hogwarts, ‘lemon drops’”

After several minutes of spinning through the floo system they arrived at the grate they needed and stepped through into the headmaster’s office where Albus, Minerva and Poppy were waiting for them. Alex was immediately swept off by Minerva and Poppy leaving Severus to talk to Albus.

“Thank you for doing this Albus. I really appreciate this, I know its not easy for you with it being the end of term.”

“I’ve told you Severus, it’s a pleasure. Alex is no trouble and Poppy will look after him when Minerva and I can’t. You just go and do us proud at that conference of yours. You’re becoming quite famous now. Am I going to have to look for a new potions master as well for next year?”

Severus laughed “No Albus, you don’t need to look for a new potions master. I will be here to take up the position come September. I’ll start thinking of curriculums when I get back from Madrid. I’ll have most of the summer to think about it.”

Albus clapped his hands in delight “That’s wonderful dear boy. Horace will be so pleased he can go back into retirement. You’ll also be taking over the head of house duties for Slytherin as well. Is that acceptable?”

“It’s an honour sir. As long as I have more than enough time for Alex that’s fine. Now, is there anything else you need?”

“Nothing I need per se but something I feel I should probably warn you of. As you know, I’m in need of a new Muggle Studies professor and a new History of Magick professor. I haven’t had many applications worth considering but there have been two; Remus Lupin and Lily Potter. I’m sorry Severus, I don’t like it anymore than you do but I have to interview them and in all likelihood I’m going to have to offer them the jobs. As much as I hate what they did to Alex he has a new life with you and he’s safe. I’m afraid I’m still the Headmaster of Hogwarts and I have to do what’s best for the school.”

Severus sighed “I might not like it Albus but I do understand. Now, before I say goodbye to Alex I nearly forgot something. We ran into a slight problem this morning. Alex thought I was abandoning him by bringing him to Hogwarts. The only way I could persuade him to come was by promising to talk to him every night using the two-way mirrors to read him a story and say goodnight. So, if you could make sure its on hand each night I’d be very grateful. Now, I need to say goodbye to Alex and get going. Thank you for everything Albus.”

“Its no bother my dear boy. Alex, come over here and say goodbye to Daddy and then we’re going to go and have lunch in the Great Hall with the other students.”

Alex slipped out of Poppy’s lap and threw himself at Severus, who only just managed to catch him. Whilst Alex had grown considerably and put on weight he had taken after Severus and was small and fairly light so Severus could still pick him up and carry him around. Alex buried his face in Severus’ shoulder and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck so tightly that Severus started to struggle for breath. 

“Hey, shush, its fine. I’ve told you, you’re just here for a little holiday. I’m going to be back in a fortnight and I’ll talk to you everyday. I’m not leaving you Alex.”

“Promise”

“I promise Alex” Severus said solemnly

“’kay. I love you daddy.”

“I love you too my raven.” With that Severus pressed a kiss to Alex’s forehead, handed him to Albus and then stepped into the floo as quickly as possible. He knew that if he didn’t leave immediately, he wouldn’t be able to.

As soon as Severus had disappeared from the fireplace Albus walked downstairs with Alex held safely in his arms, Minerva and Poppy trailing behind. With it being so close to the end of term and being right at the end of the exam period there weren’t very many children eating lunch to stare at Alex. Instead, Alex quite happily sat in the chair that Minerva transfigured for him and ate whatever food was placed in front of him, staring in fascination at the few students also eating.

At the same time that Alex was eating his lunch in the Hogwarts Great Hall Severus was ensconced in his potions laboratory packing his notes and journals for his trip to the Potions Masters Guild conference in Madrid. Despite having a son under the age of five Severus had still managed to devote a substantial amount of time to research. As a result he had made significant modifications to the Wolfsbane potion that was created by Damocles Belby. In the year prior to adopting Alex Severus had spent a lot of time researching his modifications and had been very close to success and achieving a patent. However, the adoption of Alex had put the final tests back and it was only in the last six months that the final tests had been completed successfully and patented, in its modified form, under Severus’ name. The Wolfsbane potion, as created by Damocles Belby, was difficult enough that approximately half of potions master could make it. The Wolfsbane potion, as modified by Severus Snape, was even more complex and not even half of the potion masters guild could replicate it. As a result these modifications would make Severus incredibly rich when combined with the profits of his other patents and creations.

Walking inside and up to his room he started packing his clothes and as he did so the thought hit him how quiet the house was. His grandparents were out dealing with picking the harvest as the summer was one of the busiest times at the villa. The silence was compounded by Alex’s absence. Whilst not the noisiest four year old in the world Alex was certainly not the shy, quiet toddler that Severus had adopted nearly two years ago. Severus had got used to the childish chatter that followed him around everyday. He had to admit he was going to miss Alex as much as Alex said he was going to miss his daddy. However, he would deny it if anyone asked. With his clothes packed as well as the necessary bits of academic material he walked downstairs and pulled out the international portkey he’d been sent for Madrid.

Later that evening at Hogwarts Albus pulled out his two-way mirror before he entered a room that belonged to Alex and Severus when they stayed at Hogwarts. Alex had tired himself out trailing Hagrid around the grounds for the afternoon, Jupiter trailing Alex around keeping a protective eye on his master. After a dinner with Poppy in her office in the hospital wing so as to avoid all of the students in the Great Hall he took a bath and got dressed in his pyjamas before he crawled into bed clutching Blackie. Alex sat up straighter as Albus entered the room holding the mirror.

“Grandpa Alby is that it? The mirror?”

Albus nodded “Yes, this is the mirror. Are you already to go to bed when you’ve spoken to your daddy?”

Alex nodded and then reached his hands out eagerly and took the mirror from his grandpa. As soon as the mirror was in Alex’s hand the surface flared to life and Alex squealed in delight

“Daddy!”

Severus smiled “Hello my raven, are you being a good boy for Grandpa Albus and Grandma Minerva?”

Alex nodded enthusiastically “Yes daddy. ‘m being good.”

“Ok then, what have you done this afternoon?” Even though he had just asked a question Severus didn’t really listen to his son talk, merely catching the words “Hagrid” and “Jupiter”. He was more concerned with the animation vividly etched on the young face. Alex looked perfectly content at being left with his grandparents and honourary aunt. He was jolted back from his thoughts as he heard Alex calling out to him repeatedly and he shook his head slightly

“I’m sorry Alex, I’m a bit tired. Now, are you all tucked up and ready for your bedtime story? Ok, here we go….”

Twenty minutes later Severus cancelled the spell on the mirror and placed it on the bedside table of his hotel room. He had just enough time to shower and change before he had to attend the welcoming dinner.

***

Two weeks later the day had arrived when Remus Lupin and Lily Potter would be arriving at Hogwarts for their interviews. The school term had officially ended several days ago and Alex had been swamped under the attention of the entire teaching staff and had revelled in the attention. With the exception of his grandparents, his Aunty Poppy and Hagrid he especially loved Professor Flitwick and Professor Hooch. Severus had kept his promise of talking to Alex every night and the child looked forward to it avidly. The last two days had been spent with Rolanda Hooch, the quidditch referee and flying coach, being flown around the grounds at a slow speed just a few feet from the ground. He’d also spent a large amount of time in the dungeons with Horace Slughorn, the retiring Potions Master and head of Slytherin house. The large walrus-like man scared him slightly and reminded him of someone he couldn’t really remember but his daddy and Grandpa Alby had promised he was safe and he believed them. Besides, since he got his miniature cauldron and potions kit for his last birthday, he had been fascinated by the subject and he loved helping his daddy at home.

When he woke up that morning Alex bounded down the stairs into his grandpa’s office to see his grandpa sat at his desk looking very serious whilst reading a letter and wearing Alex’s favourite purple moon and stars robes.

“Mornin’ grandpa” he chirped as he clambered up the chair to sit in Albus’ lap.

“Good morning childing. You look very smart today. Are they the robes Aunty Poppy bought you the other day?”

“Yes. Look grandpa, they have stars an’ dragons on them. What’s your letter bout?”

“Do you remember me saying that I had to speak to some people today about working here at Hogwarts? Well, they’re bringing their children with them. They have a son called Marcus who’s the same age as you and a little girl called Rose who’s a year younger than you. They’ll be here in a couple of hours so why don’t we go down for breakfast?”

Alex nodded his agreement and obediently took hold of Albus’ hand to walk down to the Great Hall. Depositing Alex with Minerva to eat his breakfast he made his way down the staff table where Poppy was seated.

“Poppy, I need a favour. You know I’m interviewing Remus Lupin and Lily Potter today along with Minerva? I’ve had a letter from them and for some reason James and Sirius are coming as well as the children. Now, I don’t really want Alex left alone with them and neither would Severus so would you mind staying with him today? Just until Severus returns?”

Poppy nodded “I’ll do my best Albus but I won’t be able to guarantee anything, you know that”

“I know Poppy but it will be inevitable that they meet at lunch and Sirius and James will be unstoppable. They may be adults now but they’ll pester Alex horribly”

“I’ll do my best Albus.” Poppy leaned down the table “Shall we go down to Hogsmeade this morning Alex? We can go and see if that new collection of Fairy Tales you wanted has arrived and collect that book we ordered for your daddy.”

“If you’re going to Hogsmeade could you possibly pop into Honeydukes and pick me up some lemon drops for me?”

“’kay Grandpa. Aunty Poppy, can we go now?”

“Of course Alex, just let me get my cloak and then we’ll go. Do you want to find Jupiter or leave him here?”

Fifteen minutes later as Poppy and Alex took the path to Hogsmeade, Remus Lupin and Lily Potter arrived at the main gates accompanied by Sirius Black, James Potter and the two children Marcus and Rose. Whilst Remus and Lily made their way up to the headmaster’s office James and Sirius remained on the grounds with the two children.

As they reached the guardian gargoyle both Albus and Minerva were there to greet them.

“Ah, Mr Lupin, Mrs Potter, thank you for coming in today. Your letter led me to believe that you were bringing your husband and children with you today Mrs Potter?”

“Please Headmaster, call me Lily. Yes I did bring my family – James and the children are outside with Sirius. They preferred to stay outside in the sunshine.”

“Indeed. Mr Lupin, how are you? Returned from the lycan communities intact?”

“Yes Headmaster. I have to say I’m very grateful for you giving me an interview.”

“Not at all my dear boy. Please take a seat. We’re having quite a problematic year this year with teachers. We’ve just lost Professor Stonehouse and Professor Binns. Professor Blackthorne has agreed to return for a year and Severus is returned to replace Professor Slughorn.”

Remus and Lily exchanged glances before Remus spoke “Severus? As in Severus Snape? He’s a professor?”

“Yes, that’s right, Severus Snape. He’s returning after a two year sabbatical to take up the dual position of Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House. Now, if we could get down to business” and with that they continued with the important parts of the interview.

***

An hour later Poppy and Alex had completed their errands in Hogsmeade and were making their way back to Hogwarts in time for lunch.

“Aunty Poppy? Will daddy like his book?”

“I’m sure he’ll love it Alex and the chocolate as well. You’ll find out later thought, he’s due back today.”

“I know, I’ve missed him.” At the this point they entered the school grounds and spotted Hagrid down by the lake. “Hagrid!” Alex yelled excitedly and turned pleading puppy-dog eyes on Poppy

As always, she caved incredibly quickly as she always did, she even caved with Severus “Oh go on then, be careful and I’ll catch you up.” She then looked on indulgently as Alex hared off, Jupiter hot on his heels. 

Alex was so intent on reaching Hagrid that he failed to notice the three Potters and Sirius Black sat on the grounds although Poppy couldn’t fail to notice them as they stopped and stared at Alex. Whilst Alex chattered away to Hagrid about their morning in Hogsmeade Poppy drew up to the two wizards and children 

“Mr Black, Mr Potter, what brings you two miscreants to Hogwarts?”

“Madam Pomfrey! Erm, we’re here because Remy and Lils have interviews this morning and someone needed to look after the kids. Have you met the children? This is Marcus and this is Rose. Kids say hi to Madam Pomfrey” James was trying to be confident but ended up toeing the ground in embarrassment as his children simply ignored the medi-witch.

Seeing his friends embarrassment Sirius spoke up quickly “Madam Pomfrey, who’s the kid? I didn’t any of the professors had children?”

“He’s visiting the castle for a few days. You said Mr Lupin and Mrs Potter are being interviewed by Albus? Which positions are they applying for?”

“Erm, Remy’s applying for History of Magick and Lils for Muggle Studies. The kids are certainly excited about the possibility of living at Hogwarts.” Sirius looked down as his robe sleeves were tugged “Yes Marcus?”

“Who’s that Uncle Siri?”

“I don’t know who it is Marc, why don’t you go and ask him?”

“Can I dad?” Marcus failed to wait for a response before making his way over to Alex

“I’m Marcus. Who are you?” he demanded arrogantly

Alex didn’t like this boy, he was rude. He wanted his daddy and he missed his friends Draco and Blaise.

“Tell me who you are. ‘m the boy-who-lived!” Marcus demanded whilst stamping his foot petulantly.

Alex simply ignored him for the next thirty minutes whilst Poppy proceeded to do the same with Sirius and James until Remus and Lily appeared at the castle doors. As they walked down Poppy walked over and took Alex by the hand

“Come on little one, shall we go and see Grandma and Grandpa? You can show them your new book.”

Obediently Alex took the outstretched hand and they moved back up to the castle, ignoring the assembled party of Potters and friends.

“James, who was that?” Lily asked as she stared curiously after the little boy that looked strangely familiar.

“We don’t know Lils. Madame Pomfrey wouldn’t tell us and the kid wouldn’t talk to Marcus – just ignored him.”

“In that case then he’s not worth knowing. Although I wonder why he’s here with it being the holidays.”

“Pomfrey, the old witch, wouldn’t tell us” Sirius said bitterly “And she called us miscreants. From what she said I think he’s the grandson of one of the professors. So, how was the interview?”

It was Remus who spoke finally “It was surprisingly easy actually. It was just Headmaster Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall rather than the Board of Governors. The Headmaster told us something interesting actually..” Before Remus could continue talking a house-elf appeared in front of them.

“Gentleman and ladies, Headmaster wishes Missy to tell sirs and misses that lunch is served. You follow Missy please.”

Exchanging amused glances at the house-elf’s behaviour they followed it up to the Great Hall where, upon entering, they saw the young boy from earlier sat to the left of the headmaster with Poppy Pomfrey to the left of the child. Walking swiftly in they took their places in the empty seats to the right of Professor McGonagall who sat, as always, at the Headmaster’s right. Whilst Lily served the children, giving into their selfish demands and indulging their every whim all the time, she motioned to the males to keep silent so that she could listen to the headmaster’s conversation with the child.

“Did you have a nice morning in Hogsmeade with Aunty Poppy childing? Did you get the book you wanted for your daddy?”

“Yes grandpa ‘n we got you some lemon drops.”

“Thank you for that”

“Grandpa?”

“Yes child?”

“When’s daddy coming home?”

Albus’ response was delayed when Sirius jumped into the conversation, unable to hold his tongue any longer

“Headmaster, just who does the bloody brat belong to?”

“I’d be careful just who you call a bloody brat Black, it could land you in hot water” came a familiar silky yet deadly voice from the doors of the Great Hall.

With Sirius’ crass comment no-one had heard the doors open to reveal a familiar figure, or at least a familiar figure to most of the attendees. Severus stood there dressed in black breeches, dragon-hide boots and an open-necked white shirt under light-weight summer robes in deep forest green and with his non-greasy hair half pulled back from his face. Alex couldn’t help himself and slid from his seat, running across the hall to fling himself at Severus as soon as he was in range with a cry of “Daddy!”

Dumbly, his mouth hanging open unattractively, Sirius poked first James and then Remus before he spoke “Moony, Prongs, are you seeing what I’m seeing?”

James nodded weakly before he gulped loudly “Paddy, Snivellus procreated”

For his part, having caught the child, Severus swung him around in the air before hugging him close and pressing a kiss into the still baby-soft hair “Hey baby, have you had a nice time with Grandpa Albus and Grandma Minerva?”

As she watched and listened Lily Potter felt a pang of jealousy shoot through her, knowing that her own children would never let her do that. She wasn’t even sure that she could still lift either of them, especially Marcus. With that in mind she turned her attention back to the black-haired father and son

“Yes daddy but I missed you ‘n want to go home”

“I missed you too my little raven. Now, seeing as I’m here in time for lunch why don’t we sit down and you can tell me what you’ve been up to, then we can get you packed and go home in time for your birthday.”

As he’d been speaking Severus had been walking over to the table, his son balanced on his hip leaving no question as to the child’s parentage.

The Marauders were amazed at what they were seeing – a smiling, non-greasy Severus Snape who had a son. Alex refused to let go of his father for even one moment resulting in him getting slightly crushed by the enthusiastic greetings Severus received from Albus and Minerva.

Severus nodded his head towards the Potters and the Marauders “Black, Lupin, Potter, Evans” – it was the only civility he would allow himself before sitting in the seat directly to the left of Albus with Alex on his knee.

He fixed one rather large plate for the two of them and they both picked at it whilst Severus and Alex told each other of their activities over the last fortnight. The Potters, Sirius and Remus just stared in shock; unable to reconcile the now conflicting images of Severus Snape that they now possessed – the one from their time at Hogwarts and the one they were now seeing. Once they had finished eating Severus stood, lifting Alex onto his hip. He walked round the staff table before he spoke

“Say goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa Alex” before he directed his speech to Albus “We’ll see you towards the end of the week then? You are still coming aren’t you?”

“Of course we’re still coming child. We wouldn’t miss our grandson’s birthday for anything. We wouldn’t miss our grandson’s birthday for anything. We should be there either late on Thursday or Friday morning. Tell your grandfather to dust off his chess set – I intend to beat him this time.”

“Albus, you haven’t beaten my grandfather at chess once in the last two years, what makes you think you will now?”

“Grandpa said Gran’pa Alby was an ‘ternal op’mist” Alex piped up

“An eternal optimist? Yes he is that my raven. Now, wave goodbye and let’s go pack your things.”

“Can give you your present?”

“You got me a present? Let’s go then.” With that Severus turned and swept out of the room with his ever present grace, still managing to remain intimidating even without his typical glare and voluminous black robes and with a child on his hip. He was barely out of the room before Sirius piped up.

“The kid belongs to Snivellus? Who’d sleep with him voluntarily and then keep the child?” As soon as he finished speaking Sirius burst into a barking laugh reminiscent of his animagus form, swiftly followed by James Potter.

As he listened to Sirius talk the twinkle in Albus’ eye diminished steadily until it disappeared completely only to be replaced by a flash of anger, 

“Have a care as to how you speak of my son Sirius Black. I put up with your childish insults towards Severus when you were still a student hoping you would mature. It would appear that you have not, therefore I would ask that you refrain from talking about him at all.”

Sirius opened his mouth to speak but shut it again as Lily placed a warning hand on his arm. As he met her gaze he read that she would speak and in a more diplomatic method.

“Headmaster, did you just refer to Snape as your son? I didn’t realise he was related to you?”

“Severus isn’t related to me Mrs Potter but the strongest bonds are not always those that are formed by blood. Sometimes they are those formed by love and trust. As such, both Minerva and I consider Severus to be our son and therefore Alex our grandson.”

“Alex seems to be a sweet child. How old is he? I believe Severus mentioned that it was going to be his birthday at the end of the week?”

“That’s right, he will be four on Saturday which reminds me, Minerva, we need to go to Diagon Alley to buy him some presents. Have you got that list we wrote of ideas for them?”

“Yes I have the list Albus, but you know what Severus said after Alex’s second birthday – you’re not going to buy him all the presents on that list. Severus doesn’t want him to become spoilt”, the ‘not like some children we know’ remained unsaid but firmly directed towards the Potters

“Did Severus tell you what Antonio and Lucrezia were getting Alex? We don’t want to get him the same thing.”

“I believe Severus said they were giving him the foal of Severus’ stallion. Apparently Severus learnt to ride when he turns four and he wants to teach Alex.”

The two of them were now completely wrapped up in thoughts of Severus and Alex as they made their way out of the Great Hall. Remembering their guests almost as an afterthought Albus turned around and smiled

“By the way, congratulations Professor Lupin, Professor Potter and welcome to the staff of Hogwarts. I shall be in touch regarding your contracts later in the summer. The house-elves will inform you as to which fireplace you can use to floo home. Goodbye.”

“Yes Headmaster. Thank you very much. Goodbye Headmaster, professor.”

The Headmaster and Professor McGonagall were barely out of the Great Hall before Marcus turned to his parents and piped up “Mum, you said the headmaster would come to my birthday party but he’s going to that boys.”

“I’m sorry sweetie but that boy, Alex, is the headmaster’s grandson and so he’s going to go there as we’re not actually related to the headmaster”, here Lily ignored Sirius’ muttered aside that “neither is Snivellus” and continued talking, “but I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time with your friends. Neville and Susan are coming as are the Weasley’s. Besides, don’t be too nasty to Alex –you’ll start Hogwarts at the same time as each other.”

“Yeah but Lils, Marc’s going to be in Gryffindor like us, Siri and Rem. I bet you anything the baby Snape will be a slimy Slytherin just like Snivellus.”

“I’m sure he will be in Slytherin like Snape Jamie, but what you’ve got to remember is that both Remus and I now work here and so does Snape. If we want to remain in the Headmaster’s favour we have to be nice to Snape.”

James and Sirius both looked mutinous but agreed to be on their best behaviour albeit reluctantly. It was almost a minute later that they processed what Lily had just said

“Lils, did you just say that Snivellus is teaching here? At Hogwarts?”

“Yes, he started teaching here three years ago. From what I was told he completed his potions mastery just over eighteen months after we graduated. He’s had the last two years off to look after his son but he’s back this year and he’s Head of Slytherin House as well as the Potions Master.”

As Lily had been talking they had followed a house-elf into one of the ante-chambers so that they could floo home.

“But Lils, how come he’s….”

“Sirius, shush. We’ll talk about this when we get back to the Manor. James, pick up your son and follow me.” With that Lily threw a handful of floo powder into the fireplace and yelling “Potter Manor”, stepped into the bright green flames, followed by her son and a trio of suitably chastened men.

At the same time that James, Sirius and, to a lesser extent, Remus arrived at the Potter Manor to be faced by an irate Lily Evans-Potter, Professor Minerva McGonagall was being dragged into Drosselmeyer’s, the toyshop in Diagon Alley, by an incredibly hyper Hogwarts Headmaster.

“Albus, the toyshop is not going to disappear if you slow down. Will you please slow down a little? Albus Dumbledore! Put that broomstick down now! You know perfectly well that Severus doesn’t want Alex flying until he’s five.”

“Well, what can we get him? Surely Severus wouldn’t mind too much if we gave Alex a broomstick?”

Minerva simply arched an eyebrow at him “Albus Dumbledore, are you serious enough to want to face the wrath of Severus? You know how cranky your son gets. Now, how about we get him some new art supplies and we could possibly get him a bicycle. I’m sure he’ll enjoy that.”

“Wonderful idea my dear. What would I do without you?” And with that he raced off to the section that housed the bicycles, leaving Minerva to browse through the art supplies.

Minutes later the peace was shattered by an almighty crash as a raised female voice with a distinct Scottish accent yelled two words,

“Albus Dumbledore!”