Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

I think a quick glance at my bank account would reveal that I do not own anything relating to Harry Potter. ;-) All characters, locations, etc. are the property of J.K. Rowling.

This story is for the P&S Winter Fic Fest.

Chapter 1

"What?"

Harry stared at Ron, unable to wrap his brain around what his friend had just said.

"Well, it's just..." Ron looked down and pulled at the sleeves of his nightshirt. "I mean, you just said that you were the snake, Harry. So, um, I think maybe it would be best if you didn't..."

"Come with you." Harry finished.

Ron nodded.

The two teenagers were standing a few feet away from Dumbledore's desk, waiting for Fred, George, and Ginny to arrive. Harry looked over at the headmaster, wishing that he would intervene. But the aged wizard was still examining that mysterious silver instrument.

Not that he'd come within twenty feet of me, anyway. Harry thought bitterly.

He crossed his arms over his chest and stared at the top of Ron's head, willing his friend to just look at him. But Ron would not.

What do you expect? Harry asked himself. Of course he doesn't want you near his family right now. Not when there's more than a slight chance that you just attacked his dad.

"Yeah, I understand." Harry heard himself say.

Ron lifted his head ever so slightly.

"Really?" There was a cautious note in his voice, as if he expected Harry to go off on another verbal rampage.

"Really."

Ron looked Harry in the face and sighed in obvious relief. "Thanks, mate. I mean, I don't really think that you attacked Dad. But, you know, just in case..."

"Yeah," Harry hugged himself tighter, "Just in case."

Ron looked like he was about to speak again, but then the door opened, and McGonagall ushered the twins and Ginny inside.

Harry gazed intently out the window while Dumbledore informed the younger Weasleys of the attack on their father. The headmaster neatly omitted any mention of Harry's dream, and Harry certainly did not feel inclined to further enlighten Ron's siblings. Instead, he focused on being as silent and unnoticeable as possible. It was only when Dumbledore was gathering them around the Portkey that Harry finally looked at them all and spoke.

"I'm not going."

Ron blushed, Ginny removed her hand from the Portkey, and the twins exchanged looks of surprise. Dumbledore glanced meaningfully at the door from which McGonagall had just exited.

"I am afraid we do not have time for this, Harry."

"I'm not going." Harry repeated. He pressed his fingertips painfully into his upper arms and prayed that Dumbledore would not ask for an explanation. A few moments passed, and then Harry's prayers were answered in the affirmative when Dumbledore murmured,

"So be it."

Harry drifted back into the shadows as his friends grasped the Portkey again. They glanced back at him uncertainly while Dumbledore counted. Was it his imagination, or did Fred look ready to grab Harry and force his hand onto the Portkey?

"Three." Dumbledore finished counting, and Harry watched as the four Weasleys disappeared in a swirl of color.

The headmaster gazed for a moment upon the spot where four of his students had just been standing. Then, without so much as glancing at Harry, he walked behind his desk, settled into the chair, and began reading a lengthy roll of parchment.

Harry relaxed his grip on his arms and stepped forward, lips already forming his first question.

"I suggest you exercise caution when returning to your quarters, Harry." Dumbledore said without looking up. "It would be most unfortunate if you were to encounter Professor Umbridge at this late hour."

"But, Professor-"

"Professor McGonagall is quite skilled in diversionary tactics," Dumbledore interrupted, "But I fear even she will find it difficult to distract Professor Umbridge for much longer."

Suddenly, Harry was livid, and his scar burned as if it was being branded into his flesh. Oh, what Harry would have given just then to be the snake from his dream! How he yearned for fangs with which to kill the meddlesome old man before him!

"Goodnight, Harry."

Then the rage was gone as suddenly as it had come. The searing pain in Harry's forehead rapidly dulled to a mild prickling sensation. Startled and sickened, the boy wizard turned on his heel and fled the headmaster's office.


Albus had stopped pretending to read once Harry left his office and was gazing out the window when Minerva returned.

"That woman" The elderly witch fumed upon entering "is, without a doubt, one of the vilest human beings I have ever met!" She strode over to the desk and spoke to Albus's reflection. "I don't suppose that the famous Defense Against the Dark Arts curse has ever manifested itself midyear?"

Albus smiled faintly. "Not to date, Minerva."

"Well, one can always hope." Minerva pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed. "The children are with Sirius now, I suppose?"

"The Weasley children are." Albus answered. "Harry has elected to remain at Hogwarts."

Minerva dropped down into one of the visitors' chairs and groaned. "Why, Albus? Why would he do such a thing?"

Albus had his suspicions, but he did not wish to elaborate on them just yet. So he merely shrugged and said, "I cannot be certain what his reasons were, Minerva. However, it does appear that he will be spending the Christmas holidays alone for the first time in four years. Mr. Weasley will obviously not be returning before the end of term, and I believe that Miss Granger will be engaging in some quaint Muggle sport with her family. Skiing, I believe they call it."

"What will the boy do here over the holidays?" Minerva fretted. "You know it will only be a matter of time before he violates one of Dolores's edicts. Merlin knows he's inspired a great many of them." She drummed her fingers on the arm of the chair for a long moment, apparently in thought. When she spoke again, it was with a barely detectable amount of reluctance. "I suppose I could cancel my trip. Then I'll be here to supervise Potter."

"That will not be necessary, Minerva." Albus responded. "I know how anxious you've been to visit your sister and her family. Besides, Dolores is not the only professor planning to stay at Hogwarts over the holidays."

"But you've already said that you cannot be around Potter, so I fail to see how you can adequately supervise him."

"This is quite true." Albus concurred. Then he smiled. "However, I was actually referring to Severus."