Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I have $17 in my bank account, which means that I still do not own Harry Potter. ;-)
Chapter 2

Severus Snape had spent much of the previous night bent over a cauldron in his quarters, brewing an extremely complex potion. Consequently, his back ached horribly, and a headache was slowly blooming behind his eyes.

Despite this, the man was almost smiling as he strode to the Great Hall for breakfast. Severus was so cheerful, in fact, that he did not glare as ferociously as he normally would have when two Hufflepuff girls, no doubt in a hurry to finish packing for the holidays, collided with him in the hallway. Of course, even half a glare from Severus Snape was enough to frighten most people, and one of the girls immediately began to cry. The other girl paled and began pulling her friend down the hall. Severus smirked as he watched them scurry away, then walked into the Great Hall.

The Potions Master had barely settled into his seat when Filius Flitwick attempted to engage him in conversation.

"Are you looking forward to the holidays, Severus?"

"Why, yes, Flitwick," Severus answered as he poured himself a goblet of pumpkin juice, "I am. In fact, I have already commenced with spreading holiday cheer."

"Really?" Filius blinked in momentary surprise, then beamed up at his colleague. "How wonderful!"

"Indeed." Severus spread a cloth napkin over his lap. "I do so enjoy making Hufflepuffs cry."

Filius sniffed and looked away. He did not speak to Severus for the rest of the meal. This was just fine with Severus, who did not enjoy engaging in what he considered idle conversation.

Traditionally, most Hogwarts students tended to spend their last morning before the holidays frantically packing and bidding farewell to their friends. Thus, the Great Hall was less than halfway full at the moment. As Severus ate, he looked around the hall and noted the absence of one student in particular.

Well, well, He thought with a smirk, it appears that my Potter-free holidays have begun even earlier than expected!

While Severus viewed Christmas itself with something less than eager anticipation, he did enjoy the break from teaching that the holiday brought. He had always remained at Hogwarts over the winter break, and was usually the professor most often asked to patrol the corridors for errant students. However, as not many students typically stayed over the break, this task was not difficult. This had changed when Harry Potter arrived at Hogwarts. One look at the son of James Potter, and Severus knew that he would be spending the next seven winter breaks chasing after the brat. When he learned that Potter had already befriended one of the Weasley children, Severus had wondered how far in advance he could book a room at St. Mungo's.

Thus, Severus had been most pleased to learn that Potter would be spending this winter break with the Weasleys. Draco Malfoy and his minions, Crabbe and Goyle, would also be absent from Hogwarts. In fact, the only students on the roster to remain at the school were four first-year Hufflepuffs, a third-year Ravenclaw, and one seventh-year Slytherin. The Hufflepuffs were terrified of Severus, the Ravenclaw student would most likely spend the holidays sequestered in the library, and the Slytherin certainly knew better than to cross his Head of House. It was, Severus thought as he consumed the last bit of his toast, shaping up to be quite a peaceful break.

Then Dobby appeared.

Looking back, Severus supposed he should have known that his troubles would start with a house-elf. It was common knowledge that he did not like the creatures. In fact, Severus did not know what he loathed most about them. Was it their squeaky voices? Their painful enthusiasm? Their atrocious grammar?

"Professor Snape, sir!" Dobby squeaked. "Professor Dumbledore is wanting you in his office right away, sir!"

Severus stood up with a sneer and followed Dobby out of the Great Hall. He strode to the Headmaster's office, but kept having to stop as the house-elf wove an uneven path before him.

"Perhaps you wish to return to the kitchens" Severus finally suggested in a silky tone. "Since I do, in actual fact, remember the way to the Headmaster's office."

The elf looked up at him, gulped, and disappeared with a POP. Severus could finally increase his pace, and he quickly arrived at the entrance to Dumbledore's office. He uttered the password ("Chocolate Frogs") with a role of his eyes, stood on the spiral staircase as it ascended, and walked briskly into the office. Minerva and Albus were standing in front of the desk and gazing at him expectantly.

"You wished to see me, Albus?"

"Yes, Severus." Albus affirmed. "Thank you for coming so quickly."

"The house-elf indicated that you required my immediate presence." Severus replied with a frown.

"Indeed." Albus said. "But you needn't look so worried, Severus. I merely wished to provide you with the most recent list of students who will be remaining at Hogwarts over the holidays."

He removed a roll of parchment and held it out. Severus took the proffered document and tucked it into a pocket of his robes.

"Thank you, Albus. If that is all-"

"You should look at the list now, Severus." Minerva advised. "There is an addition to it that we will need to discuss."

Severus sighed, retrieved the parchment, and unfurled it. There were now seven names on the list instead of six. One name in particular immediately caught his eye, and Severus knew that the peaceful break he had been anticipating was never to be. He had to take several deep breaths before he could look up at the Headmaster.

"Perhaps you would care to explain to me" Severus said in a silky whisper "why Potter's name is on this list?"

"Of course, Severus." Albus gestured to a chair. "Please sit."

"I think not."

"As you wish." He walked around the desk and settled into his own chair. "Please forgive an old man for resting his tired feet."

The look on Severus's face indicated that he was not especially inclined to forgive Albus much of anything at the moment. Minerva chose to sit, as well, and Severus was now left feeling distinctly out of place. Well, no matter. He glowered down at them both and waited.

"Arthur Weasley was attacked last night, Severus." Albus began. "He was on official business for the Order."

Severus considered that for a moment. "Do you believe the Dark Lord responsible?" He asked.

"We know that Lord Voldemort did not attack Arthur directly." Albus answered. "He sent his snake into the area that Arthur was guarding."

"Nagini."

"Yes, and it was she who attacked Arthur."

Severus suppressed a shudder. He was not afraid of snakes in the least. How could he be, and still be a Slytherin! But the image of being attacked by one the size of Nagini was far from appealing.

"Is Weasley alright?" Severus queried.

"We do not know." Albus replied. "Luckily, he was found before he lost too much blood. He was taken to St. Mungo's for treatment. The Weasley children left last night to be closer to the hospital."

Severus nodded. There was a moment of silence during which, he was sure, Albus and Minerva joined him in wishing for Arthur Weasley's recovery. Severus did not care for many people, and he certainly had little love for the mischievous Weasley offspring. But he did not wish death upon any of them. Besides, Arthur's connections to the Ministry were invaluable to the Order.

Minerva cleared her throat, and Severus looked at her. She nodded toward the list in his hands. Ah, yes...

"Forgive me, Albus," Severus said, "But I still do not understand why Potter is staying here over the holidays. I thought he was spending the break with the Weasleys. Surely they would still welcome him."

"I have no doubt that they would." Albus agreed. "However, Harry has elected to remain at Hogwarts."

"Why?" Severus asked. Other than to completely ruin my holiday, he added silently.

"I cannot be sure. I know that Harry and Ronald Weasley conversed briefly before the Weasley children departed. However, I confess that I was a bit preoccupied at the time, and did not hear much of their conversation."

Severus did not miss the fact that Albus was only unsure of Potter's reasons for staying. Clearly, the man had some theories on the matter, and Albus's theories were usually proven correct. However, the Headmaster was obviously not willing to disclose anymore than he already had, so Severus returned to the issue at hand: Potter's presence at Hogwarts over the winter break.

"I suppose you wish me to prevent the boy from getting into danger, Albus?"

Albus smiled. "That would be most gracious of you, Severus."

Minerva snorted, perhaps thinking that the word "gracious" was not one typically used to describe Severus Snape. Severus took a moment to give his colleague the infamous Snape Sneer before responding to Albus.

"And I suppose that Potter is still in possession of that infernal Invisibility Cloak?"

"He is."

"Jolly." Severus muttered. "So, it is to be Christmas as usual for me, then?"

"Not quite, my dear boy." Albus answered. "You see, there is still the presence of Dolores Umbridge to consider."

"We believe that it is best to keep Potter away from her as much as possible." Minerva added. "She knows that Potter is loyal to Albus, and she may see Albus's upcoming absence as a chance to corner Potter for information. Or she may pass another edict for Potter to break." This last was said with a definite snarl.

Severus stared at Albus. "Your ‘upcoming absence?'" He repeated.

"I have matters of a personal nature to attend to, Severus." Albus replied. "I will be leaving Hogwarts tomorrow and do not expect to return until Christmas Eve."

"I see. And what does any of this have to do with my handling of Potter over the holidays?"

"I fear, Severus, that it will not be enough for you to try and catch Harry out of bed at night. You will need to keep an eye on him during the day, as well. You must ensure that Dolores does not have the opportunity to be alone with him."

This was said quite calmly, as if Albus had not just set an impossible task. Everyone knew that Dolores Umbridge was, to use a Muggle phrase, gunning for Potter. The two were bound to encounter one another at some point, and it was not a guarantee that Severus would always be present to intervene. Unless...

"You expect me to spend every minute of the day watching Potter!"

"Not every minute, Severus." Albus responded sedately. "You are certainly free to sleep and take, ah, personal breaks as needed."

The Potions Master stared at his colleagues. Minerva met his glare with a stern expression, but Albus's eyes were actually twinkling. Apoplectic, Severus stuffed the offensive list back into his robe, whirled on his heel, and strode from the office. He had just reached the door when Albus called out to him.

"Happy Christmas, Severus!"

Severus whipped his head around and snarled, "Your gift is going back tomorrow!" Then he hurried down the stairs and to his living quarters, fuming all the way at the destruction of his perfect holiday.

Chapter End Notes:
I realize that this chapter was a few hours late, and I apologize. Thanks so much to everyone who's read and/or reviewed the story so far. I'll try and get the next chapter out by Thursday.