Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was longer, but I'm not pleased with how the second half turned out. There's a better explanation in the end notes.

Disclaimer: I own nothing related to Harry Potter.
Chapter 7

     When Harry awoke, gasping for breath, and found himself staring into the face of Severus Snape, he thought he had fallen into another nightmare. Then he looked around the unfamiliar room and remembered everything. He leapt up from the chair and faced Snape, who stared back at him with an inscrutable expression.

     "Where am I?" Harry demanded.

     "Good evening to you, too, Mr. Potter." Snape intoned. "I trust you slept well."

     The last sentence was said in a sardonic tone, and Harry suddenly realized that Snape must have seen him in the throes of his latest nightmare. Flushing, the young wizard forced himself to keep his eyes on Snape's face and repeat his question.

     "Where am I? Where have you taken me?"

     "Sir."

     "What?"

     "You will address me as ‘sir' at all times." Snape ordered. "Now, try again, Potter."

     Harry clenched his teeth and muttered, "Where am I, sir?"

     Snape looked at him for a moment, clearly considering something. Just when Harry thought he would not get an answer, the professor said, "You are in my home, Potter."

     "At Hogwarts?" Snape arched a brow, and Harry remembered to add, "Sir?"

     "Of course not, you stupid child." Snape answered. "This is where I stay when school is not in session."

     Scowling, Harry pressed on. "Why am I here? Sir?"

     "Because you were a foolish little brat and did not go with the Weasleys." The Potions Master snapped.

     "No, sir." Harry retorted. "I was at Hogwarts because I did not go to stay with Ron and his family. Why did you bring me here, sir?"

     Looking as if he dearly wanted to take points, Snape scowled and said, "You were in danger, so I had to rescue you. Again."

     "‘In danger'?" Harry repeated. "At Hogwarts?"

     "Surely you've learned by now, Potter, that Hogwarts is not always the safest of places." Snape replied with a sneer.

     Harry nodded, thinking that truer words had never been spoken. He took a moment to consider this new information, then asked, "Who am I in danger from, sir?"

     Snape's face darkened. "We will discuss that over dinner."

     "Dinner?"

     "Yes, Potter, dinner." Snape tilted his head slightly and inquired sarcastically, "You are familiar with the concept, I think?"

     Harry ground out a ‘yes' and wondered if all his teeth would be dust by the end of the holidays.

     "Excellent." Snape dispelled the locking charm on the door. "You will remain in here while I prepare the meal." He jabbed a finger at Harry and added, "Be sure that I will know if you leave this room, Potter."

     "Yes, sir." Harry answered. Snape continued to glare until Harry sat back down in the armchair and folded his hands in his lap. Looking somewhat satisfied, Snape turned and headed for the door. Before Harry could breathe a sigh of relief, however, the professor paused and turned back around.

     "What were you dreaming about when I arrived, Potter?"

     Startled by the question, Harry blinked rapidly for a moment and then answered, "Voldemort, sir."

     "The Dark Lord?"

     "Yes, sir."

     "I see." Snape took a step toward him. "And do you dream of the Dark Lord often?"

     Harry nodded. "Yes, sir."

     "When I arrived," Snape stepped closer, "You were speaking in Parseltongue. Why?"

     Harry hesitated. If there was one person that he did not want to know the nature of his dreams, it was Snape.

     "Tell me, Potter!" Snape said sharply. "And do not lie to me, for I will know if you do."

     Harry did not doubt this for a moment, for he had often had the disconcerting impression that Snape could read minds.

     "I was speaking in Parseltongue because that's the language snakes use," Harry answered reluctantly. "and I was a snake in my dream, so..." He trailed off, hoping that Snape would not ask anymore questions. Unfortunately, hope was an ineffective tool when dealing with Severus Snape.

     "You weren't just any snake, were you, Potter?" The Potions Professor pressed.

     Harry sighed. "No, sir." He answered. "I was, or I was seeing things as if I were, Voldemort's snake."

     Something flashed in Snape's eyes. "And are you aware, Potter, that this is the same snake that attacked Arthur Weasley?"

     "I know, sir." Harry muttered miserably. "I saw it happen."

     "In a dream?"

     "Yes, sir."

     "Were you viewing the scene from the snake's eyes then, as well?"

     "Yes, sir."

     Snape stared at him for a long moment, apparently speechless for the first time since Harry had met the man. Then he snarled, whirled on his heel, and stormed from the room. As the door slammed shut, Harry thought that at least now Snape had a valid reason for hating him.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Hi, everyone! So, this story was actually completed while the site was down and posted on fanfiction.net. However, I confess that the final chapters on that site are not the best. I became so anxious and depressed about financial issues that I just wanted to finish this story so that I could worry about other things. However, I've decided that since the completed story on ff.net does not represent my best work, I'll be rewriting the final chapters and posting them here. At some point, I will probably delete the story on ff.net and post the improved version.

Well, that's that. I apologize for the delay and the long end notes. Thanks so much to everyone for your kind reviews and for your patience!