Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

ST MUNGO'S IS BETTER

Seeing Lily and his son, Severus apologized immediately. “I’m sorry, I was looking for something, but I just can’t remember where… Ah,” he suddenly interrupted himself and rushed into his bedroom, opening a drawer. With a relieved sigh, he put the small blue box into his robe pocket and left the bedroom, apologizing once more.

In the meantime, Lily had waved her wand around his office, so that it was already returned to its normal neat state. “All right, shall we go?” Lily asked, and Harry told Fawkes that they wanted to go to the Ministry.

“No, please, wait a moment,” Severus suddenly said.

Harry gave his father a curious glance. He seemed to be worried about something. “What’s wrong?” he asked enquiringly. He couldn’t remember seeing his father so nervous except for the time when they went to Godric’s Hollow the day before yesterday.

Severus thought for a moment if he should send Harry into his room for a few minutes, so that he could speak to Lily alone, but dismissed the thought immediately. Harry should not feel as if he would be abandoned now when his mummy was back, and Severus knew that Harry was very sensitive.

“Could you please sit down for a moment,” Severus asked Lily and Harry in a tone that didn’t allow anything other than compliance. As soon as they were sitting, Severus turned to Lily.

“Lily, I…” he nervously cleared his throat, “I wanted to ask you if it would be agreeable for you to take my name instead of registering again as Lily Potter or going back to Lily Evans.” He knelt down in front of the seat Lily was occupying and pulled the blue box he had been looking for out of his robe pocket, opening it slowly. “Will you agree to become my wife and not simply my son’s mother?”

“Yay,” Harry let out, bouncing up and down excitedly on the sofa. “That’s beautiful! Oh, Mummy, yes, you’re going to be Lily Snape, then we will be Daddy Snape, Mummy Snape, and Harry Snape, that’s great!” He ran over to his parents, trying to hug them both at the same time.

Severus put an arm around the excited boy and said as calmly as possible, “I’m glad that you share my opinion, but in fact I was asking your mummy. Please be quiet for a moment, all right, little one? You are our child anyway, and nobody will be able to take you away from us anymore.” He sat down on his favourite chair opposite the fireplace, pulling Harry onto his lap.

“I’m sorry, Lily, if this was too all of a sudden. So, if you want to think about it…”

“No,” Lily interrupted him. “I don’t have to think about it. I don’t know if you’re aware of the fact that I only married James because there was no chance that you and I could have married and because I was pregnant with your child that I wanted to save from Dumbledore. Of course, Severus, I love you and I want nothing more than to become your wife. Thank you!”

When Harry happily shouted, “Mummy!” she couldn’t hold her tears back and started to cry.

“What’s wrong, Mummy?” Harry asked worried.

“Nothing, sweetie, I’m just so happy,” Lily sobbed, feeling herself pulled into a strong embrace, sensing an indistinctive smell of herbs and potions very near.

Harry watched in awe when his parents started kissing each other. Suddenly, he felt happier than he could remember feeling ever before. After a few minutes, Severus let go of Lily and gave his son a huge smile. “In this case, we need to take two witnesses to the Ministry. Whom would you like to ask, Lily?”

“Minerva,” Lily replied immediately.

“All right. Harry, who do you think we should take as second witness?” Severus asked, turning to his son.

“Hmm. Uncle Tom is already my godfather and Aunt Poppy my godmother. What about Uncle Remus?” Harry suggested.

“Oh, Harry, you’re such a sweetheart,” Lily said proudly. This method of choice could have been hers. She was very glad to have such a fine son.

Severus went to the fireplace and called Minerva and Remus to their quarters urgently. When they arrived a minute later, Severus motioned them to take a seat and asked Lily to talk to them. However, before Lily could start to explain anything, Harry blurt out, “Mummy is going to marry Daddy!”

When Minerva and Remus gasped, Lily smiled and asked, “Would you two be willing to accompany us to the ministry as our witnesses?”

Seeing that Minerva was unobtrusively wiping away a tear, Harry climbed onto her lap. “It’s all right, Mummy has cried too.”

Minerva Floo-called Tom in order to ask him to represent her during her and Severus’ absence, and Fawkes took the five persons to the Ministry. Three hours later, the new little Snape family and their two witnesses entered Muggle London for a late lunch. After a short discussion about where to go, they complied with Harry’s request to go to a pizzeria, where he had enjoyed the pizza that they had eaten two days ago very much. After lunch, Minerva and Remus returned to Hogwarts, while the happy family proceeded to Diagon Alley in order to buy new clothes for Lily.

-----

When the Snapes entered the Great Hall for dinner the same day, the Hall was decorated beautifully. Harry squealed excitedly when he saw hundreds of colourful balloons all over the Hall. Apparently, Tom hadn’t hesitated before informing all inhabitants of the castle about the ad hoc wedding that had taken place at the Ministry in the morning. As soon as Lily, Severus, and Harry sat down at the table, Minerva raised her glass. “Congratulations, Lily, Severus, and Harry for becoming a real family! We are all very happy for you!”

After everyone gave them a huge applause, Minerva handed Severus an envelope, saying, “This is from all of us, and we wish you much fun!”

Severus handed the envelope to Lily, who curiously opened it and gasped. Inside the envelope was a card, which seemed to be a Hotel voucher for a wizarding holiday resort at the seaside for a whole week. On the card, the address of a fireplace was noted and Minerva explained to them that they were supposed to travel by Floo in case they weren’t going to ask Fawkes to take them.

“When are we supposed to leave?” Lily asked curiously.

“A honeymoon normally starts on the wedding day,” Tom informed her curtly.

“But we didn’t have time to prepare anything,” Lily countered horrified.

“You don’t have to prepare anything,” Minerva told her and handed Lily a small travel bag, which had about the size of a small toy. “Don’t enlarge it now – have a look at it when you arrive. Don’t worry, in this bag is everything you will need. Yes, Severus, even potions and children’s books. You are not allowed to take anything else with you apart from your wands of course. And you should take Harry’s wand as well, so that he’d be able to defend himself if something happened.”

Lily smiled at their colleagues. “Thank you very much. I’m looking forward to our first family holiday very much.”

Severus inclined his head. “Thank you. I really appreciate it.”

And Harry? Harry had fallen asleep the instant he had sat down between Lily and Severus.

“Today probably has been too much for him,” Lily mused, pulling her child over, so that he could sleep on her with his head on her shoulder.

“Yes, he is still suffering from the aftermath of his illness,” Poppy agreed. “Before you leave, I want to have a word with you concerning Harry anyway.”

Minerva rose from her chair and conjured a soft looking red sleeping bag on the floor next to the table. Opening the zipper, she motioned Severus to take the child from his wife and put him to sleep in the sleeping bag, so that Harry could sleep and Lily would be able to eat properly.

A wedding dinner and much advice later, Lily and Severus were ready to depart for their honeymoon. While Lily was still talking to Minerva and Poppy, Severus fought hard to wake Harry up. Finally, he decided to let the child sleep and carried him through the Floo as they had decided to leave Fawkes at Hogwarts anyway because even if they were staying at a Wizarding hotel, having a phoenix with them would definitely attract too much attention.

-----

Harry slept through until the next morning. When he woke up, he nearly chocked, noticing the strange surroundings. Fortunately, his parents were sleeping on both sides of him, so that the small boy didn’t see a reason to panic. However, he curled up close to his mummy and waited impatiently for his parents to wake up. Severus was the first to stir, and as soon as he had lazily opened an eye, Harry blurted out, “What’s wrong, Daddy? Where are we?”

Severus pulled his son close and whispered into his son’s ear, “Harry, you know that Mummy and Daddy got married yesterday, right?” When Harry nodded happily, Severus continued, “The other teachers at Hogwarts have sent us here for our honeymoon for a week. Get up and have a look out the window, Harry!”

Harry didn’t have to be told twice. He quickly crawled out of bed and made his way over to the huge window, stopping dead in his tracks when he caught sight of the blue sea and the white sandy beach in front of it. He gave his father an anxious glance. “What is it, Daddy? The moving, blue thing I mean?”

Severus laughed. “Oh, Harry, sorry, I forgot that you haven’t been to the sea yet. It’s the sea, and the moving parts of it are waves. After breakfast, we will go down to the beach and have a look, won’t we?

“Yes,” Harry shouted, happily, completely forgetting that Lily was still asleep.

Lily woke up with a jolt and lazily opened her eyes. “What’s wrong?” she asked, yawning.

“Mummy, have you seen the sea? It’s so blue and it’s moving!” Harry informed her excitedly, quickly climbing back into bed to hug his mummy.

Lily laughed, pulling her son close, caressing his little cheeks. With a soft hand she pulled up his fringe, frowning at the scar he owed Dumbledore. “Then we should better get dressed and go down for breakfast,” she said and proceeded to tickle Harry until suddenly Severus let out a huge gasp.

“What’s wrong, Daddy?” Harry asked and was at his father’s side within seconds, followed closely by his mother.

While in the evening they had just magically exchanged their clothes into pyjamas and used the toothbrushes the hotel had provided, Severus had now started opening the bag their colleagues had given to them. The enlarged bag had revealed about a dozen small bags in different colours that enlarged themselves, forcing Severus to gasp, when he suddenly saw himself surrounded with a dozen travel bags. Lily and Harry couldn’t help laughing at the professor’s face and began to open the different bags. Harry quickly discovered that the green bag with the tiny yellow dinosaurs on it held a lot of toys and books for him and squealed happily. Seeing that, Severus interestedly took up the dark blue bag with bubbling cauldrons on it and looking inside confirmed that it was full of potion phials. Happily he saw that it also contained a Potions book he had wanted to read for quite a while but so far hadn’t found the time. After this discovery he set the bag aside. In the meantime, Lily looked through the other bags in search for children’s clothes.

-----

An hour and a huge breakfast later, the Snapes headed for the beach. They decided on a place to sit, which was not too far from the entrance and still near the water. Lily quickly drew her wand and pointed it at Harry. “Umbra Affectus.” Seeing Harry’s enquiring expression, Lily explained, “This spell protects you from getting sun burned.”

“Oh, wow,” Harry shouted in awe. “Oh, please, Mummy, may I cast it on Daddy and you, please?”

Lily laughed and handed Harry her wand. “Sorry, dear, we didn’t bring your wand down today but you can try if you can do magic with mine.”

Harry took Lily’s wand and glanced up to the windows. He knew which apartment was theirs because he had left his stuffed dragon sitting on the sill of the open window, so that his teddy could watch him playing on the beach. Nodding his head contentedly, he raised the wand. “Accio Harry’s wand.”

Under the flabbergasted looks of Harry’s parents and Harry’s excited glance, Harry’s wand made its way through the window, nearly kicking the dragon out too. Harry smilingly returned his mother’s wand, taking his own one safely into his hand. “Uh, sorry, Mummy, what was the spell?” he asked, frowning.

“Umbra Affectus,” Lily repeated patiently.

“Ah, all right, thank you, Mummy,” Harry said, eager to learn a spell he didn’t already know. He pointed his wand at his father and said the incantation before he repeated the spell with his mother.

“Thank you, Harry,” Severus said, glancing around the book in his hand.

“Very good, sweetie,” Lily commended her son, watching him proudly as he dug into his bag for something to read before she lay back and enjoyed the still peacefully quiet beach.

Ten minutes later, Harry was standing in front of Lily, excitedly jumping from one foot onto the other. “Mummy, look, there are children in the water. Can we go into the water, too, please?”

Lily looked over to the water, where children were bathing in the waves, shouting happily. Before she could reply to Harry however, Severus looked up from his book and motioned Harry to sit down between them before he explained, “Harry, today we will only put our feet into the water. Tomorrow we can go for a bathe and I can try to teach you how to swim.”

“Oh, yes, Daddy, I want to learn how to swim. Can you teach me now, please?” Harry shouted impatiently but Lily shook her head.

“No, Harry, Daddy said tomorrow. Poppy told us to wait at least a day before going for a bathe in order to give your body the chance to get used to the climate, especially as you have been very ill.”

“Ah, okay,” Harry said disappointed. “Um… can we then go into the water with our feet only?”

Under his son’s plead Severus couldn’t resist and grudgingly put away his book. “All right, let’s go all together, shall we, Lily?”

Lily hardly had a chance to voice her opinion before she saw Harry dashing down in the direction of the water, while Severus ran after his son. She raised her wand, ready to stupefy the child in case Severus didn’t reach him before Harry entered the water. However, Harry knew better than to do something stupid. He stopped right in front of the water, waiting for his parents to arrive. When Lily caught up with Harry and Severus, she opened her mouth to shout at her son for running away, but Severus beat her and complimented the boy for waiting and not entering the water on his own.

“But next time, Harry, do not run away on your own but wait for us, please,” Lily added sternly.

“Yes, Mummy, I’m sorry,” Harry replied automatically. He extended both hands to his parents and they entered the very light blue water, which was surprisingly warm.

When they returned to the beach after floundering around in the water for an hour, Severus helped Harry build a sand castle. “Dad, I want it to look like Hogwarts. How can I do that?”

“Oh, Harry, that we should ask your Mummy. She’s much better at Charms than I,” Severus replied, giving Lily a glance, who waved her wand at the castle, mumbling an incantation Harry couldn’t understand.

“Wow, this is beautiful. It really looks like Hogwarts,” Harry said, looking at the castle in awe.

Too soon it was lunchtime, and in the afternoon it was so hot on the beach that Harry spent the whole afternoon sleeping. On the next day, Severus tried to teach Harry swimming, which he enjoyed very much. However, it wasn’t as easy as Harry thought seeing the other children swimming around, and after two days of intense practising he couldn’t yet manage more than two strokes.

“That’s normal, Harry. I’m sure you’ll be able to swim by the time we go home,” Severus said calmingly when Lily and he tucked the child in, kissing him good night.

-----

On the third day on the beach, Lily was fast asleep while Severus was so engrossed in his book that he didn’t even answer Harry’s repeated question, “When will we go swimming, Daddy?” Harry looked around, noticing that everyone on the beach seemed to be asleep and suddenly came up with a plan.

He reached out to his mother’s robe pocket where he knew that Lily had pocketed his own wand, carefully snatching it from the pocket. Then he waved his wand around a free area of sand and very carefully levitated the sand onto the person sleeping nearby so that only the woman’s head was free of sand. Then he repeated the procedure with at least twenty people until his father looked up from his book, wondering what Harry was doing. Fortunately, Harry had spared his parents, fearing his father’s reaction discovering that he was covered by sand.

At the sight of his son pointing his wand at a man and silently muttering an incantation, Severus looked around, slightly irritated, and gave Harry a menacing look. However, the slightly pulled up edges of his mouth gave him away and Harry knew that his father was at least slightly amused by his prank.

Seeing that Harry tucked away his wand, Severus averted his eyes back to his book, while Harry started building a castle.

When Severus looked up from his book the next time, Harry was standing in front of him, shifting from one foot to the other. “Daddy, I have to go to the toilet.”

“All right, Harry, shall I accompany you?” Severus asked, throwing a last longing glance to his book.

“No, I’m fine, thanks. I know the way to our apartment, and I’ll be back soon,” Harry promised and hurried away.

Strangely, Harry had a feeling someone was watching him but he couldn’t place it and he couldn’t see anyone either. However, when he touched the door of their apartment so that it would magically recognize him and open, he felt someone pushing him from behind, forcing himself into the room with Harry. When he looked around, Harry saw two men, both of whom he had seen in the memories of his older self. However, as Severus had helped him to put all these memories to the very back of his mind they were not easily accessible, and before Harry could ponder on who these men were, one of them pointed his wand at him, shouting, “Cru…”

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to ObsidianEmbrace for her wonderful beta work :-)

I do not own any of the characters in this story; they all belong to J.K.Rowling, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.