Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
“In Merlin’s name, what is going on here?”

Warning: It's really not Severus' day.
God Knows I've Never Been a Spiritual Man

Severus rubbed his forehead absently, studying the fireplace that would send them back to London. Not Hogwarts—no floo in Hogwarts was set up for long-distance transfer—but the transit station was good enough. From there flooing back to Hogwarts would take a matter of moments. It will be a relief to be in my chambers again. He glanced down to find his student standing silently beside him. “You are prepared?”

“Yes, sir.”

“All right. Follow immediately.” Potter nodded, and he gave his thanks once again to Luciano before stepping into the hearth and grabbing a handful of floo powder. As tempting as it was to send the brat through first, if anyone was waiting for them on the other end…. The trip was rather more disorienting than normal, but then considering the distance that he had to traverse that wasn’t really unexpected. He stumbled as he exited the floo, regaining his balance just in time to be sent to the floor by his student. Damnit! “Potter!”

“Sorry, sir. I never land very well.”

Now you tell me. The boy picked himself up, allowing Severus to get to his feet and scan the room for his wand, knocked from his hand when the boy landed on him.

“Stay where you are!”

Severus spun in surprise to face a man who’d been standing against the wall beside the fireplace. “Excuse me?” He recognized Darius Ambrose—their times at Hogwarts had overlapped slightly but they’d never had much to do with each other. Like Alastor, the Auror had lost an eye in battle; unlike Alastor he hadn’t gotten a magical eye to make up for it.

The man didn’t lower his wand. “Remain where you are. Potter, come away from him.”

“What? Why?” Harry didn’t move from his position beside Severus, and for once he was glad of the boy’s disobedient streak.

“Come away, I said!”

The door opened, and Severus turned to face two more men—one he recognized as a hit wizard…Edwards, or something of that nature. He rather assumed that the other was a hit wizard as well. He could see his wand, now…it had come to rest against the far wall of the room. An Accio would have it in his hand—he could certainly perform that much wandless magic—but whether he would have time before the three were on him…. Armed, he would give himself more than fair odds in a battle, even three on one—it’s not as though I’ve never stood against those odds before—but they would notice as soon as his wand began to move. Shielding spells were beyond his wandless abilities. And then there is the boy to consider…. He hadn’t forgotten the speed at which the child had brought a shielding spell up back in the forest, but there was a world of difference between an unseen enemy in the night and a group of men he’d been taught to respect. “I demand to know what you are doing here.”

“I will ask the questions here. Potter, now!”

The boy gave one last glance at the hit wizards and then turned to glare at the Auror. “No!”

“The boy’s befuddled.” The words came from one of the hit wizards, and before Severus realized what he planned the man had his wand out and pointed. “Stupify!

The force of the spell not only stunned Harry, it sent him to the ground as well. “Accio wand!” The thin stick flew into his hand, and he moved to stand protectively over the boy’s body. “In Merlin’s name, what is going on here?”

“Severus Snape, you are under arrest for the improper and illegal use of Legilimency on a minor. You will step away from the boy, now.”

“I’m what?” His stomach had dropped at the man’s first words—neither this man nor either of the two hit wizards were members of the Order of the Phoenix. If they had found out about his Dark Mark, that he was attending meetings with the Dark Lord again after Albus had vouched for his innocence so many years before…well, the only way to avoid Azkaban would be revelation of his status as a spy. And even assuming they believed him, as soon as that information was public knowledge his lifespan would be cut dramatically short. But illegal use of Legilimency…. “Idiot! Just where did you come by this information?”

“I received an interesting firecall last night from an honorary uncle of mine—a housemate of my father when he attended Hogwarts. He went back to Brazil after he graduated, but they always kept in touch. While my father was alive, anyway. I understand that a few days ago you and Mr. Potter here,” he gestured at the boy, “wandered into the village he’s currently residing in. And then yesterday he caught you invading the child’s mind. He was, naturally, concerned, and since he knew I was an Auror, he thought I should investigate upon your return.”

So that was why Luciano was distracted that night. Of course, he couldn’t have just asked us…. There had been something in Ambrose’s tone just now, when he mentioned his father, but this was hardly the time to get into the dolt’s family troubles. “Perhaps if you’d bothered to questionthe boy before you stunned him, you would know that I had his full permission to use Legilimency.”

“The boy has no right to give permission,” Ambrose said smugly. “He’s underage. You would need consent from his guardians before you could attempt such a thing. Do you have it?”

“His relatives are magic-hating muggles,” Severus snapped in response. “They wouldn’t have any idea what I was talking about.”

The man smirked. “So you don’t have permission.”

“This is ridiculous. We have been trapped in a jungle, chased by supposedly-extinct creatures, and invented an antidote to a fatal poison in an incredibly limited amount of time. All either of us wants is to get back to Hogwarts and resume our normal routines.” He was tempted to cast an enervate on the boy, but he didn’t want to chance taking his eyes off the Auror.

Ambrose’s eyes went cold. “I know what you are, Severus Snape. I don’t care what Dumbledore says—all of you should have been kissed after the Dark Lord fell. So don’t think I’m going to let you just walk away—you’ll be in Azkaban for this, and no one will be able to help you.”

I will not go back to that place. Severus shifted his grip on his wand. It had been bad enough when he’d been caught after the Dark Lord fell the last time. Dumbledore had gotten him out then, as quickly as he’d been able to manage, but Severus could still remember that cell…still remember those creatures coming for him. Before he could do more than open his mouth to demand that they let him speak to someone at Hogwarts, both hit wizards cast binding charms at him. He was able to deflect one—it missed Ambrose, but it had been worth a try—and block the other, but he couldn’t draw his shields in closer without leaving Harry exposed…. One of the curses slipped through, and darkness claimed him before he even registered the blow.

When he woke up, the first thing he felt was the chill. It was strange—he’d become rather accustomed to the heat in the rainforest. But then, this wasn’t the rainforest. It wasn’t even Hogwarts. It was a tiny, cold cell, with barely any light…Azkaban. The chill intensified, and he found himself reaching automatically for his wand. Which wasn’t there, of course. The dementors were growing closer, and he wondered for a moment if he could possibly cast a wandless Patronus strong enough to repel them. He hadn’t been able to manage one fifteen years ago, but... And then they were there—three of them—and his frantic attempts brought nothing but a thin wisp of mist that dissipated in seconds. He could feel the memories rising and there was nothing he could do to shove them back into their box in his mind.

“Worthless little bastard!”

The shriek made him wince, and he found himself backing away from his grandmother. “I’m sorry! I-it was an accident. It w-won’t happen again, I s-swear.”

“You’re right it won’t happen again!” She had her wand out. “I explained twice how that curse was to work. Any competent wizard would have had it mastered years ago, but your idiot mother—”

Anger overwhelmed him. “She’s not an idiot! You’re an idiot!”

The adult Severus winced again. The one thing he’d never been able to tolerate were insults to his mother—not from his grandparents or anyone else. And that fact had brought him such pain, time and time again….

Crucio!

Even as his body writhed and he relived his first experience with the torture curse he felt himself being dragged into another memory. A man standing over him, fists clenched…a werewolf in the dark and the laughter of a psychopath-in-training…an aristocratic blond who’d promised him power over the ones that had hurt him…power that had come at such a terrible price…. Severus wasn’t certain when the dementors finally left…wasn’t certain when he finally stopped screaming. He hadn’t realized he’d even been screaming, until he tried to swallow and found his throat so raw that it hurt. Merlin, get me out of here. Get me out of here, please. At some point someone had dropped off food, but he couldn’t bring himself to attempt it. The dementors would be back, soon enough.

“Enjoying your time here?”

He twisted on the cot and found Ambrose at the door of his cell. “I demand to speak to someone at Hogwarts at once.” It probably would have sounded more commanding if he’d been able to keep his voice from cracking or his hands from shaking.

The man seemed amused. “You’re in no position to demand anything.”

“You have no right to keep me here.”

“Of course I have the right. You’ve been charged with a serious crime…oh, it will go to trial eventually and perhaps you’ll be able to talk your way out of it like you did last time, but trials take time, and with everything else that has been happening….”

“What do you mean, ‘everything else that has been happening’?” Had the Dark Lord staged a major attack in his absence? “And what did you do with H—Potter?”

“The child is perfectly safe. We took him to St. Mungo’s so the healers could repair whatever damage you did.”

“I didn’t do any damage, which you would know if you would contact Dumbledore.” The dementors had pulled back more at the approach of the Auror, and Severus felt some of his strength returning. Not that that would do much for his throat, but at least he could stand and face the man without worrying about toppling over. He’d hoped that Harry had been taken directly back to Hogwarts—Dumbledore and the Order would no doubt be able to come up with some scheme to free him, if only so someone could list for them the possible dark uses of unicorn parts. But if the child was stuck at St. Mungo’s….

“You know, I could order them back in, now.”

The conversational tone startled him for a moment. “Excuse me?”

“I could call the dementors back. Allow them to kiss you.” The man smiled cruelly.

Severus felt himself grow cold again. He wouldn’t. “Not without a trial.”

“‘An unfortunate accident,’ or at least that’s what the headlines would read. It wouldn’t be the first time they got a little—overeager, shall we say? Although perhaps ‘unfortunate’ is too strong a word…you aren’t particularly popular in the Wizarding world, you know?”

“So popularity is now the determining factor in determining innocence?” Severus forced himself to sneer.

“It’s just a thought.” He smiled again, and turned to go. “I imagine I’ll be seeing you again in the near future.”

It wasn’t until the man was well away before Severus allowed himself to drop back down to the cot. Ambrose was correct—if he was kissed here, he doubted anyone besides Albus and one or two of the Order would truly object. Oh, the Dark Lord might be annoyed at having to find someone else to make his potions, but certainly none of his minions were those that would call Severus friend or care what happened to him. And even the Order…there wasn’t much they could do unless Ambrose was stupid enough to boast about what he did. And stupidity is not normally a qualification for Aurors—arrogance and paranoia, certainly, but not stupidity. At least they’re only charging me with improper use of Legilimency…I was rather expecting him to accuse me of orchestrating the disappearance of the brat and myself as soon as he’d had some time to think about it. Although I suppose it’s not necessarily too late for that…it’s fortunate that I did bring him back unharmed. His best hope for rescue lay with Harry getting word to Albus and the others what had happened, but…he was unconscious when they announced where they were taking me. And the healers at St. Mungo’s weren’t known for giving knowledge that would upset their patients—he’d probably been told that Severus was safe and sound at Hogwarts and wouldn’t know any better until they released him. Whenever that was…mindhealers were notorious for keeping patients far longer than most considered reasonable. He glanced at the food again, but doubted that he’d be able to swallow it with the state his throat was in. And that assumed that he wouldn’t just lose it all when the things came for him again. Better not to risk it.

A dementor did come again that night—just one, this time—and then two at some point the next day It was impossible to judge the exact time, except that there was some light when they arrived, and it was dark when he was able to escape from his memories. In between visits he spent his time curled on the cot, trying to sleep and calm his mind. Occlumency didn’t work against the creatures…they weren’t trying to get into his mind; they were trying to draw memories out. And they were succeeding.

It was light again when Ambrose entered his cell for the second time. “Hello, Professor Snape. You’re looking rather unwell today.” He laughed. “I gave some thought to what we discussed the other day.”

A dementor slipped into the cell behind him, and Severus sucked in his breath. “I imagine that was quite a workout—you’re obviously unaccustomed to taxing your mind.”

The Auror didn’t seem to hear him. “I had a sister once, you know? Pretty little bit of a thing. I’d just been accepted into the training program when she started at Hogwarts.”

Something flickered in Severus’ memory, but he couldn’t place it. ”That’s fascinating, but I fail to see how this relates to…anything, really.”

“It’s everything. Our father was a wizard, but our mother…she was a muggle, you know. We lived in a muggle neighborhood. One of the muggle neighborhoods you and your friends tore to pieces before the Dark Lord fell. She’d just arrived home for the winter break when you attacked—Father was still at work, and as the only wizard in the house, she felt that it was her job to try and protect our mother and aunt.”

Severus made the connection. Selena Ambrose. He’d been with Lucius, Evan, Bella, and several of the others when they’d decided to go muggle-baiting one night a decade and a half ago…usually he managed to avoid that type of sport unless the Dark Lord explicitly commanded him, but that time there had been no way to excuse himself without drawing their attention. They’d expected to sweep through the area as usual, and up until they reached a little yellow house they been right. But as soon as they forced in the door there, a drawer full of muggle cutlery embedded itself in Evan’s chest. Not particularly deeply—the levitation charm didn’t provide for much force—but in combination with a jelly-legs charm that had sent Bella to the floor it had enraged the others. They’d caught the little girl quickly enough—killing the rest of the household in the process, as he recalled—but they hadn’t killed her, not then. They’d taken her back to the Dark Lord. He reserved special hatred for wizards who associated with muggles, and this little bit not only lived in a muggle neighborhood but had attempted to defend them…she hadn’t died well. And afterwards her mutilated body had been sent to the Ministry as a warning.

“Father killed himself, afterwards…couldn’t live with knowing what they’d done to his precious little girl. You remember her, don’t you? Did you help them kill her?” The man moved closer and Severus recognized the flash he’d seen in the man’s face back at the floo terminal. Madness. “You did, I can see it in your eyes. And now I’ve got you here…and it’s here…” Ambrose stepped back again, and the dementor moved closer.

Severus felt himself growing cold and backed away as far as he could, but the wall was in his way…. I’m going to die here, and not for my spying but for the machinations of a lunatic Auror…brilliant. The thing was closer now, and there was no doubt that it planned to kiss him. He’d read once that before a person died his life flashed before his eyes…he was rather relieved that his mind was quiet for once. Dying would be bad enough, there was no need to compound the experience. He was getting so cold….

Expecto Patronum!” The shout startled everyone in the room, and the dementor was sent howling away at the creature that shot from the new arrival’s wand. “Ambrose, what in Merlin’s name do you think you are doing!”

“He’s a Death Eater! He deserves to die!”

“Do you remember nothing of your training? You are an Auror, not an executioner!” Ambrose opened his mouth to respond, and Alastor Moody’s face creased as he muttered something that made the man collapse. “And as for you…”

Severus braced himself. He an Alastor had something of a truce—the man had been convinced of his loyalty after a rather fierce interrogation with Veritaserum and was willing to accept the information Severus brought back about the Dark Lord, but he’d never bothered to hide the fact that he wasn’t comfortable with Severus going regularly into the creature’s camp. They respected each other and the work they did, but…. Severus wasn’t sure whether the uneasy truce between them was still be in effect or if the man believed he’d truly violated Harry’s mind. Or worse. He might not be willing to kill Severus outright, but Mad-Eye Moody was a dangerous enemy to have.

Constant vigilance, boy!” Severus almost laughed with relief as the older man’s free hand slammed into the doorframe at the end of the familiar cry. “What were you thinking, flooing into an open terminal without notifying us? What if Voldemort had been waiting for you instead of Ambrose?”

Severus managed to avoid wincing at the Dark Lord’s name. “I…” It hadn’t been a particularly intelligent thing to do and he knew it, but the relief he’d felt at finally being able to return home….

Fortunately Alastor didn’t seem to expect an answer. “You’re just lucky that I got back in time to hear rumors about the ‘capture’ of a known Death Eater and put that together with the fact that no one had seen you since Mr. Potter’s return.”

“Got back?” Severus had a decidedly disturbing image of the retired Auror lounging on a beach somewhere. Perhaps I should have forced myself to eat something.

“I’ve brought myself out of retirement—again,” Alastor returned gruffly. “There was a small matter of a teacher and student being kidnapped from just outside Hogwarts grounds in an area where the residual dark magic was so thick a muggle would notice.”

“He killed a unicorn,” Severus reported. “Took everything—hair, blood, organs…H—Potter and I were caught in a Portgate meant to dispose of the evidence. He and two younger students were out after curfew…I’d just sent the younger two back when I heard it scream.”

Alastor’s face hardened. “You took him with you to investigate?”

“Don’t be ridiculous; I sent him back to his rooms. The brat has never been able to follow orders. I was investigating the area when he landed beside me, and then before I realized what was happening we were caught in the Portgate and ended up in the middle of the Amazon with no way to contact anyone. It was several days before we reached a village, and then we were detained there for a few days longer before we were able to reach Rio de Janeiro and the long-distance floo network.”

“And how did Ambrose know you were coming back when no message was ever sent to headquarters?”

“Luciano—the man who arranged for us to floo back—was friends with his family. He walked in on Legilimency lessons I was giving the boy and apparently felt that they were inappropriate…I was charged with improper use when we arrived and have been in this place since. He said Harry was sent to St. Mungo’s…?”

“He was—he’s the one who told me that it was Ambrose who had you. Fortunately for you, I might add; if I hadn’t recognized his description, I might have left you here for a bit longer to see if that would teach you caution.” Alastor glanced at the man on the floor. “Ambrose…”

“He’s unstable,” Severus said bluntly.

“Several Death Eaters attacked a muggle orphanage just after you disappeared…he was the one to find most of the children’s bodies. He had a younger sister who was killed while he was in training and…”

“And I was the first Death Eater that he was able to get his hands on uncontested.” The wrong place at the wrong time. Brilliant. Although he could hardly begrudge the man his memories…he’d been grateful for a long time that he had neither siblings nor close cousins that the Dark Lord could use against him. A case where the lack of immediate family is a definite advantage.

“Well, we do have a few others in holding here, but there would be questions if any of them were suddenly kissed.” Alastor flicked his wand absently and the unconscious man’s body levitated. “Come along, it’s St. Mungo’s for you as well.”

“But….” He could just hardly walk out of Azkaban, even with an Auror beside him. Someone was bound to question it….

“No doubt the mindhealers will want to keep Ambrose around for awhile. I’ll get Minerva to put a rush on the paperwork and we’ll have your ‘arrest’ excused before the day is up. Fortunately he didn’t reveal who he had in custody…Fudge won’t spend any effort blocking the attempt. So there’s no reason you shouldn’t leave an hour or two early—unless of course you’d like to remain here until it is official?”

That was an idiotic question, and Severus was across the small cell so quickly that it made his head spin. I definitely should have eaten something. Alastor seemed to be being rather more accommodating than usual, but then…he had a fair idea of what was in Severus’ memories. Whatever his reasoning, I’m not going to question it. Although something about the man’s words had bothered him…. “Why Minerva? Is something wrong with Albus?”

“Fudge has it out for him…the idiot’s been spending most of his time trying to discredit him and have one of his cronies take control of Hogwarts. You and Potter’s disappearance didn’t help that. Right now, if you’re trying to do something that you don’t want Fudge to notice, involving Albus is not a good idea. That Umbridge woman has been after some of the rest of the staff at the school as well, but she’s incompetent. ”

Severus allowed the healers at St. Mungo’s to fuss over him as long as he could stand—about as long as it took for Minerva took to expedite his release papers, as it happened, and then flooed into Hogwarts. He had to release himself against medical advice—they wanted to keep him around longer, but there was nothing he truly needed but food and rest, and both of those he could get in much more pleasant surroundings. Harry had already left; apparently Poppy had been visiting and taken him back with her. No doubt he’d be confined to the infirmary for the next few days. He should probably check on the boy, but letting the woman get her hands on him…not if he could avoid it.

Alastor had questioned him much more thoroughly after the healers had done their jobs and allowed him to rest—about the Legilimency lessons as well as the rest of their little trip—and then returned his wand and suggested bluntly that he find a dark corner somewhere and spend a few days recuperating. Severus had no doubt that the older man would pass on any information that was required immediately. Albus was out of Hogwarts, meeting with the Wizengamout, Minerva gone as well to meet him... With no other immediate obligations or people that he should speak to, he decided was going to take Alastor's advice and sleep. Matters of his return related to teaching and the like could be dealt with tomorrow. After a dose of Dreamless Sleep, I think. The last thing he wanted was to wake up screaming from the memories the past few days had brought to the forefront of his mind.

It wasn’t a scream from nightmares that awakened him; it was the searing pain down his forearm. He was fairly sure he’d felt the summons once in Azkaban, but the dementors has been around at the time…I suppose they blunt the pain of the Dark Mark, but all things considered it’s hardly worth the tradeoff, he decided. He struggled into clean robes, made the trek to the edge of Hogwart’s grounds, and concentrated, apparating himself to the current meeting place. It was more work to get there without splinching himself than it should have been. “My Lord?”

The creature turned to face him, smiling most unpleasantly. “Severus…you’ve dared to defy me these past days.”

His voice was dangerously soft, and Severus tried not to flinch. This is not going to go well. “Never, master, I am always at your command. Forces beyond my control made me unable to comply, not my own desires.”

“Indeed.”

“Yes, Master. The Portgate at the unicorn corpse—I felt the magical signature and was caught in its backlash and transported with it when I went to investigate—”

“You dare blame me for your own incompetence! Crucio!

He was breathing heavily when the Dark Lord finally released him. Several of the other Death Eaters had assembled in the meantime, and more than a few seemed… decidedly gleeful to see him lying in the dirt. “I…I would never blame you, Master. I was simply explaining what had occurred. When you summoned me—I felt it, certainly, but I cannot apparate from the other side of the earth, and there was no convenient floo. If I had been able, I would have been here immediately, of course.”

“Of course. And when I summoned you upon your return?”

“I was in Azkaban, Master …there was nothing I could do to reach you.”

“I do not tolerate disobedience in my followers—excuses are for the weak.”

This time the curse came as no surprise, although it took a sharp enervate from the Dark Lord before he could compose himself to continue answering questions, which was unusual. He’d born far more curses than that in one night and still been able to bring himself to order afterwards. Apparently my time in Azkaban weakened me more than I realized.

“According to what I have heard, you were not alone in your transport.”

So he did know about the Portgate, or at least that I was taken unwillingly. Severus automatically checked his shields. This was where the Dark Lord would begin to pry into his mind, and he could not allow that. “No, Master. The Potter brat was with me.”

“He was seen at St. Mungo’s not long after you were taken to Azkaban—whole and unharmed.”

“Yes, Master. I—” there was no more time for plotting; he would have to excuse himself as best he could and pray that the creature left him alive and more or less undamaged at the end of it all. “There was no way I could dispose of him there—I was thrown in Azkaban immediately upon my return when he was clearly unharmed; if I’d returned without him….” He hoped that the Dark Lord didn’t have any specific information about why Ambrose had taken him. It was fairly certain that that particular Auror was not a Death Eater, but if the Dark Lord found out that the arrest had been for use of Legilimency rather than suspicion of dark magic…from Legilimency it was a short step to Occlumency, and that was certain to herald his death.

Fortunately—or, perhaps, unfortunately—the Dark Lord seemed rather too incensed with his words to ponder his arrest farther. “You dare think that you have the right to choose to protect your own life rather than deal with my most hated enemy? You had him at your mercy and you let him live! Your life is mine—you serve me! And you had the nerve to forget that! Take him—deal with him!” That command was screamed to the Death Eaters surrounding them, and Severus closed his eyes and took a deep breath as they began to move closer. I knew this would not end well.