Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The much anticipated trip to Diagon Alley doesn't live up to Harry's expectations.
Chapter 39: Mist, Misery and Missing

Severus had not slept well. He was sipping his third cup of coffee and eschewing food all together when Harry appeared at the dining table, looking for once-considering this was  breakfast-remarkably well groomed and alert.

"Good morning," said Harry brightly as he sat and began to serve himself some cereal. Perhaps it was the grunted response, but Harry looked up, and catching sight of Severus, he released the handle of the milk jug before he had even lifted it, his brow creased.

"Are you okay? You look terrible."

"Thank you for that assessment, Harry," said Severus. The nasty inflection in his voice made Harry raise his eyebrows in surprise. The nasty inflection really had been nasty, and was not just Severus projecting pseudo-nastiness when he was actually being indulgent. "The next time you arrive at the breakfast table looking as if you have been dragged through a hedge backwards, remind me to make a pointed remark about your state of dishabille."

Harry's cheeks reddened and his mouth set a little. He picked up the milk jug and slopped it over his cereal too fast, spilling some onto the tablecloth. The tut of irritation from Severus was clearly audible and Harry banged the jug down and grabbed his napkin and slammed it down over the wet patch before Severus could produce his wand to deal with the crisis.

"That was your fault!" burst out Harry angrily. "What are you in such a foul mood about? Did I do something wrong, or is this about Ginny and me again?"

Severus looked at his son's angry, red face, and his own anger immediately dissipated. He closed his eyes and sighed, squeezing the bridge of his nose in an attempt to release some of his tension. "I apologise, Harry. I did not sleep very well last night. I should not be taking my ill-temper out on you."

If Severus thought his apology would ease Harry's tension, he was mistaken. To his intense dismay, Harry's angry colour disappeared to be replaced by a frightening pallor. His left hand flew to his scar and his eyes widened with fear. Severus jerked fully upright and banged a fist down on the table as he leaned across to stare hard at Harry.

"Were you summoned?"

"What is it?"

Both father and son exclaimed together and then got equally perplexed looks on their faces.

"What?"

"What are you talking about?"

They spoke over each other again and when Harry opened his mouth to continue, Severus sliced his hand through the air and barked, "Stop!" Harry's mouth snapped shut.

"Are you experiencing scar pain?" asked Severus carefully, his eyes fixed unerringly on Harry's face and the hand that was still clamped against his scar.

"What? No-oo! I thought you must have been summoned." Harry lowered his hand and started fiddling with his still unused spoon.

Severus stared for another long moment, then he shut his eyes and squeezed the bridge of his nose again. He took several deep, calming breaths. "Harry, what on Earth made you jump to the conclusion that I was being summoned? Did you see me make a move towards my arm..."

"Not being summoned," contradicted Harry. "I thought you must have been summoned last night and you didn't wake me."

Severus looked flabbergasted and Harry didn't like it; it was a look that told Harry that Severus thought he was being his most stupid. "Harry," Severus said with as much restraint as he could muster, "you know when I am summoned as soon as I do. Your scar is as much, if not more, of a signal as my Mark is! I would not be able to hide an audience with the Dark Lord from you, even though I wish I could do just that."

"Well, I don't! Wish you could hide it, that is," sniped Harry. "It's one less thing you and Professor Dumbledore can keep from me."

Severus just looked exasperated. This day was not getting any better. "Eat your breakfast," he said shortly.

Harry looked at the soggy mess in the bowl and pushed it away. He was no longer hungry but he knew Snape would make him eat something. He grabbed a piece of warm toast out of the rack and made a show of slathering on some butter.

He had woken up in such a good mood. He was going to Diagon Alley today and Harry had been looking forward to it ever since Dumbledore had told him that his trip would coincide with the Weasley's trip to get their school supplies. He had not been looking forward to the trip to Gringotts, even though Remus was part of that equation, but it had been decided that the excursion could be expanded so that Harry and his friend's could ‘make a day of it'.

And now his father had not slept well and as a result, was in a grotty mood. Great! Not that Severus was coming to Diagon Alley with him; that would just be plain stupid, considering no-one outside of a select few knew about him and Snape, and Voldemort might ask some very hairy questions if his loyal servant was seen accompanying Harry Potter on a shopping trip.

Oh, yes, Dumbledore could have ordered Snape to accompany Harry, but the headmaster had never pushed for Severus to be the Order member who would associate with Harry outside of Hogwarts. Dumbledore had never pushed Severus that far, knowing the animosity the two felt for each other. Voldemort knew about Severus's history with James Potter and he also knew that animosity had spilled over to his old enemy's son. He knew Dumbledore would never insist that Severus be the one to accompany Harry to Diagon Alley. The subterfuge had to continue.

No, his father wasn't going to Diagon Alley with him, but Harry still felt guilty that he was going out to enjoy himself while Severus felt under the weather.

"Why didn't you sleep well?" asked Harry as he poured a cup of tea. He knew that his father didn't require more than about five hours sleep a night, but he didn't ever complain about not sleeping well. Granted, Harry had not spent that many nights in the dungeon rooms to know unequivocally what the man's sleeping habits were, but he always looked well rested at the breakfast table. So why had last night been any different?

Severus stood and pushed his chair in. "It is of no matter, Harry. I have survived on much less sleep before. Your trip to Diagon Alley will not be compromised, I assure you."

Harry's guilt reared up higher. Something was obviously worrying his father. "Dad, what is it? What's worrying you?"

Severus certainly wasn't going to intimate to Harry that he was worried about this trip to Diagon Alley. He did not want to upset or worry the boy. An upset or worried Harry Potter was likely to do something foolish while he were out and about. He hitched a very unconvincing smile onto his tired face.

"Really Harry, it was nothing more than a restless night. I have been working on a new formula and I have been debating the efficacy of one of the ingredients over an alternative." He nodded at Harry's plate where three-quarters of his slice of toast still resided. "Please eat that whole slice of toast-and a second would be good."

Harry watched as Severus strode across the room and disappeared into his bedroom. He looked down at the toast and grimaced as he picked up the half he had already taken a bite out of. He wasn't sure whether or not he believed his father's excuse but at least he could give him one less thing to worry about. His breakfast consisted of two slices of toast and jam and a cup of tea.

8888

Severus held the door open and ushered Harry out into the corridor. "By the time you collect Lupin and get up to Albus's office, he will be ready to send you through the Floo to the Leaky Cauldron."

Harry wasn't one hundred percent sure why he couldn't just Floo to Dumbledore's office and meet Remus there, but he wasn't going to argue the point. If the truth be known, Harry liked walking through the deserted corridors of the castle.

"I'll see you when I get back, yeah?" said Harry, a little awkwardly.

Severus nodded. "I shall be here." Harry offered a small smile before lifting his hand in an offhand way and headed off up the corridor. He had only gone a couple of yards when Severus spoke again. "Harry." Harry turned, his eyebrows raised in question. "Have a good time."

Harry grinned. "I will. After I finish at Gringotts, that is."

"You'll be fine. Lupin will be with you, as will Professor Dumbledore." Harry's smile grew. His dad had actually not sneered when speaking about Remus. Harry waved again and struck out for Remus's rooms.

As soon as Harry was out of sight, Severus shut the door and listened to the squelch as the wards reactivated. He strode to the Floo and within seconds, he was unfolding himself from Albus's fireplace. Albus was putting the finishing touches to a muddy, glutinous looking potion contained in a large glass flask.

"Good morning, Severus. All is well?"

"I am positive he hasn't a clue"

"Excellent." Severus watched as Dumbledore poured most of the potion into a hip flask. He handed the remainder to Severus and then sealed the hip flask. Severus looked at the potion with distaste before he upended the flask and downed the contents without hesitation. Albus turned and watched with interest as his potions master turn into an exact replica of himself.

Severus was holding onto the desk with a white knuckled hand by the time the transformation was finished. He had used Polyjuice on a number of occasions, but he hated the bubbling, churning sensation in his gut and the stretching of skin and the grinding of joints as his body changed to accommodate his new incarnation.

When he opened his eyes, Albus was smiling at him like a loon. "Why Albus, what a handsome devil you are," he said and Severus just looked his disgust. The real Albus straightened his face and pointed up the stairs. "There is a set of robes on my bed." He looked his other self up and down and shook his head. "I now know why I have always eschewed black. It looks terrible on me." Severus was already heading up the stairs to change before Albus finished talking. The real Albus chuckled. Severus really did need to lighten up a little.

Severus was profoundly glad that Albus had supplied him with midnight blue robes, rather than the carmine or the gold ones. It might just be possible that the old man did have a sense of decorum after all.

When Severus rejoined Albus, there was no more joking around. Albus held out his hand. "Give me your wand, my boy." When Severus handed it over, Albus waved his own wand over Severus's ebony one. The twelve inch tapered length of wood was transformed to the lighter colour of Albus's own wand.

"I do not think that anyone will notice the carvings on your wand are different to my own, nor that it is an inch shorter. The colour would have been noticeable though." Severus was grateful for his mentor's attention to detail. He had left all of the details up to Albus because his own mind had been too focused on the actual trip and all of the things that could go wrong.

It had been Albus's idea to use the Polyjuice because Severus had been determined to be on hand for Harry. Originally, Severus had insisted that Albus cast his powerful disillusionment charm on him, but Albus had quickly pointed out that Diagon Alley might be crowded and someone was sure to bump into him-that plan had been abandoned.

"And this is the last thing." Albus handed a self-inking quill to Severus. "At Gringotts, they will most likely ask me-you-to witness the documents for Harry and Remus, as you will be with them. Polyjuice will give you my voice as well as appearance, but you will not be able to write my signature without there being differences."

"As well, it is a legal document you-I-will be signing. Just insist on using your own quill. It has been charmed to write my signature...all you have to do is guide it across the page. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore's signature will be authentic."

Severus looked at the quill for a long time. It was the loud rumbling, grinding sound of the stone staircase starting to move that brought him back to the present. He raised periwinkle blue eyes to the identical pair in front of him. "Thank you Albus. You are a good friend."

Albus grabbed Severus's forearm and squeezed it lightly. "I would do anything for you and Harry, Severus. I hope you know that."

Severus nodded brusquely.

"I had best be off. Good luck, my boy. I am just a Patronus call away if you need me." And the old man ascended his winding staircase. His oyster grey robes whipped out of sight just as the Griffin knocker banged against the highly polished oak door.

Severus took a deep breath and went into Albus Dumbledore mode. "Enter."

8888

Harry felt like the filling in a sandwich. He could maybe understand why he had been shunted along Diagon Alley with Dumbledore, Remus, Hagrid and Kingsley forming a tight circle around him-he could understand it even if he didn't like it-but now they were inside Gringotts, and three of them were still standing within arms reach of him.

Professor Dumbledore had ordered Hagrid to stay on guard outside; they had left him with the uniformed goblin at the doors looking askance at the half-giant, and Kingsley had been ordered to accompany him, Dumbledore and Remus into the marble lobby. Harry had been surprised; he had never heard Professor Dumbledore be quite so curtly emphatic. Kingsley had even looked at the old wizard with raised brows, though he had complied with his orders without question.  Harry had noted that all three adult wizards had their wand hand hidden inside their robes and he knew they were all grasping their wands.

Did they really think that Voldemort or any of his cohorts in crime were going to appear here, inside Gringotts?

"Mr Potter, if you and Professor Dumbledore would accompany me." A harsh-faced, gravel-voiced goblin with a pointy beard and a totally bald head was standing before them and indicating that they should follow him through a highly polished black door.

"But..." Harry stared back over his shoulder at Remus, who, up until now had seemed quietly amused about something, but now had coloured slightly and was looking very tight-lipped.

"I believe," said Dumbledore in a low, dangerous voice that sounded even more unlike his normal self, "that Mr Lupin is one of the beneficiaries of Sirius Black's will and will therefore be a part of these proceedings."

Harry suddenly understood. This goblin did not want to deal with a werewolf and he was deliberately ignoring Remus. Harry could feel his own face beginning to burn, but it wasn't embarrassment, it was temper.

"Mr Lupin will be dealt with separately," grated the goblin.

"Dealt with!" growled Harry and Dumbledore together. Dumbledore put his hand on Harry's shoulder; a silent remonstrance that Harry be quiet. He then stepped forward, right into the goblin's space. The goblin stepped back a pace and finally showed the good sense to look nervous.

"I assure you," he rasped, his voice shaking slightly now, "no disrespect is intended. It is just routine..."

"I assure you that disrespect has been communicated in every word that you have spoken pertaining to Mr Lupin..."

"Albus..." said Remus in his quiet voice, but Dumbledore ignored him.

"This bequest relates to both Mr Potter and Mr Lupin. Mr Potter and Mr Lupin are closely associated and they desire that both bequests be dealt with at the same time. Is that understood?"

The goblin looked surly as he stared up at the tall angry wizard. Harry was aware of many pairs of eyes, both behind the high counter and in front of it, staring at their small group with avid interest.

"Is there a problem, gentlemen?" Another, older goblin had stepped out from behind the counter. "Rognak? Why have you not taken these clients through to your office?"

"Rognak does not seem willing to deal with Mr Lupin," said Dumbledore, staring at the older goblin. Those periwinkle blue eyes were colder than Harry had ever seen them. Not a twinkle in sight.

"And if he doesn't deal with Remus, he won't be dealing with me," said Harry aggressively.

The older goblin's flat brown eyes flicked to Remus, then Harry, and finally back to Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard he had ever been in the presence of, and one he held a grudging respect for, no matter how much he disdained wizards in general. The werewolf would have to be tolerated; he was, after all, a wizard too...and a rich one now.

And this boy...Harry Potter; who knew how much authority this boy would have in the future if the rumours were true. A good relationship must be cultivated. Tolnok hoped he could rectify the mistake of his underling. Rognak would pay for his short-sightedness. The older goblin inclined his head respectfully.

"I will deal with Mr Potter and Mr Lupin, Rognak. You will go and assess the quality of the gems in cubicle thirteen and I will see you in my office in half an hour." The goblin turned away from his unhappy inferior and looked at Harry and Remus with haughty politeness. "I am Tolnok, gentlemen. If you please..." He indicated that they should enter the same office ...Rognak's presumably.

This goblin might be more polite than their previous attendant, but Harry could still feel the well hidden contempt towards wizards that emanated from his being; these creatures were just as arrogant as the wizards who thought they were superior to every other magical being. Harry found he was not comfortable around goblins; he had felt the same way every time he had been in contact with them.

He allowed the headmaster to usher him inside the office and as the door shut to block out the activity in the huge foyer, he looked back to see Kingsley take up a protective stance in front of the door. Harry sighed as he turned back and allowed himself to be ushered into a chair next to Remus. The goblin carried a third chair over so that Dumbledore could sit down.

8888

By the time the four wizards rejoined Hagrid in front of the bank, Harry felt depressed; seeing his inheritance written out in flowery calligraphy had brought home to him, more than anything else since he had actually seem Sirius killed, that his Godfather really was gone. All of the stuff on that list: the house, the artefacts, the gold...it should all have been Sirius's. And Sirius should have been free to enjoy his family's fortune as he had never been able to enjoy it, or even appreciate it while his family had been alive and he had been imprisoned for a crime he had not committed.

He and Remus had both signed their documents, but Harry had only skimmed over his; he did not want to know in detail what Sirius had left him...he just wanted Sirius back. He knew Remus felt the same way. Neither had wished to visit their vaults, much to Tolnok's astonishment. Harry had been informed that his share of Sirius's fortune had been transferred to his vault and Remus had been given a key to a brand new vault; he had never had a bank vault before.

Harry tried to pull himself out of his fugue, but he couldn't seem to regain the happiness he had felt that morning at the prospect of a day out with his friends and girlfriend. He had so been looking forward to checking out Quality Quidditch Supplies with Ron and Ginny and listening to Hermione's bored and irritated tutting, and then listening to Ron do the same while they perused the stands of books at Flourish and Blotts. His friends were nothing if not consistent. He really wanted to see Ginny...he wanted to hold her and kiss her and run her fingers through her gorgeous hair, but after yesterday's lecture from his dad, he knew that minimal touching would be the order of the day.

Even the weather was conspiring with fate to keep him miserable. It had been damp and dreary when they had walked out of the Leaky Cauldron but his mood had been pretty up-beat then, he wasn't going to let a little mist get him down. But now, the mist had turned into a cloying fog. Harry could feel the tiny beads of moisture peppering the skin on his face as they walked along; it was cold and clammy and it might just as well have been January because he knew his cheeks and nose were going red with the cold and he didn't want to look like crap for Ginny.

"Are you all right, Harry?" Professor Dumbledore was looking down at him, concern etched upon the ancient visage. Harry grinned somewhat manically at him; he certainly didn't want anyone to start worrying about him.

"Yeah...I mean, yes sir, I'm fine. Where are we meeting the others?"

"‘Ere they are now ‘Arry," said Hagrid and Harry lifted his head to look in the direction in which Hagrid was pointing. He couldn't see a damn thing; the mist mustn't be as thick up there. He heard Ron's strangely muffled voice before the Weasleys and Hermione appeared out of the mist; he was responding in his usual irritated tone to something Hermione had said, because Mrs Weasley was berating him to be polite. Harry grinned despite himself and around him, he felt rather than saw Dumbledore, Remus and Kingsley tense up as the large party materialised in front of them.

"Oh, Albus, thank goodness," cried Mrs Weasley as the two parties recognised and hailed each other. "I wasn't sure if we would find you in this terrible fog. We went to Florean Fortescue's where we planned to meet, but it's all boarded up."

Mr Weasley and Tonks made up the rest of the group from the Burrow, but Harry saw immediately that the party was one short. Before he could comment, and as Tonks beamed a brilliant smile at Remus, Dumbledore spoke. "I think it would be best if we get out of this mist as it is impossible to see anyone until they are practically on top of you. As books are the main item on everyone's shopping list, I think we should adjourn to Flourish and Blotts. Harry noticed that Hermione turned a smug face to Ron and that he scowled bad-temperedly back at her. 

Harry really couldn't have cared less where they went. His day had now gone from bad to worse. As the ‘children' were ushered in the midst of the crowd of Order members towards the wizarding book-shop, he looked miserably towards Ron who was walking along beside him with his hands thrust deep into the pockets of his jeans and his belligerent gaze fixed on Hermione's back. "Where's Ginny?"

"She came down with a really bad cold overnight and Mum made her go back to bed. When she came down to breakfast all ready to leave, she was sneezing and hacking all over the place; I thought she would cough up a lung. She looked pretty rough, Harry, so you're not missing much, mate."

Ron must have noticed Harry's extreme disappointment because he said, by way of appeasement, "Don't think she didn't throw a major hissy, mate, but Mum wouldn't be swayed." As they entered the brightly lit store, Ron handed Harry a folded piece of flower-patterned parchment. "She asked me to give you this."

When Ron saw Harry staring at the loosely folded parchment, he said quickly, :I didn't read it, mate. Ginny said she put a jinx on it that would make the one Hermione put on the Dumbledore's Army list look ineffectual. I wasn't game to see whether she was lying or not."

Harry didn't respond, he just thrust the note into his pocket as he fell into step behind Hermione. She would lead him to their required books...he was doing every subject with her except for Ancient Runes and Arithmancy.

He had five subjects on his schedule; he had even managed to upgrade his potions mark to an outstanding after doing the extra work with his father, though he wasn't sure how much of that could be attributed to bias. Now there was a strange thought. Ron had not passed the grade though, only getting an acceptable; he had decided to continue Care of Magical Creatures with Hagrid. It was the first time that Harry and Ron had been separated in class since they had started at Hogwarts. Neither was happy with the situation, but Ron was pleased not to be doing potions.

8888

Severus watched a lethargic Harry as he took his books up to the counter to pay for them. He was very pleased that the boy had not accessed his funds at the bank, but was paying for his purchases with the money Severus had given him the evening before. Harry had argued the point, insisting that he had enough money and that he, Severus didn't have to pay for his things. His reasoning had been that Severus had not asked to be his father and therefore he had never factored in having to support a teenage son. It had taken an effort to convince Harry that he wished to support him, that if James and Lily were unable to do so, then he, Severus wished to take up the slack, even if it was fifteen years late.

As Severus looked at his son now through Dumbledore's blue eyes, he wished he could go to him and convince him that last night's speech had not just been so many words, but that he had meant what he had said.

The boy looked positively miserable. He and Lupin had both looked ill after the business at Gringotts, but Lupin had managed to perk up a little since Nymphadora had arrived. She was a late inclusion as a guard because Molly had insisted that Bill stay at the Burrow to protect his sick sister. He, Lupin and Shacklebolt had all been surprised to see the young Auror; Arthur had called her in without reference to Dumbledore.

Harry however had sunk even further into the doldrums when he had seen that Ginevra was absent. Severus realised that Ginny's presence may have cheered Harry up a little, but he somehow felt that even his girlfriend's attendance would not have enabled Harry to totally rise above his misery.

Severus had seen how depressed Harry had been in the week after Black's death and before the attempt on his own life, but that had been when he had hated James Potter's son, and he had sneered at the softness in the boy. Then their lives had changed irrevocably and Harry had been too preoccupied with other things over the last several weeks to allow his grief for Black to run its natural course.

Severus still loathed Sirius Black, but his son had loved the man, and Black, to his credit, had loved Harry. He had risked a lot for his godson, and he had ultimately died for him. Severus was not going to try to distract Harry from thoughts of his godfather, but he wanted to try to make the grieving process easier for him.

"Would you like me to shrink those for you, Mr Potter?" The shop assistant had of course recognised Harry and had turned into a simpering fool in front of ‘The Chosen One'. Harry stared at him in shock for a few seconds, but then his innate politeness rose to the fore and he offered a tight smile and said ‘thank you." The books were turned into miniature versions of their originals and Harry pocketed them and stepped aside for Hermione to drop her somewhat larger pile on the counter.

Ron rushed over to Harry and elbowed him in the side. He made a gesture with his head and Severus turned his own head in the direction of the entrance where Ron had indicated. Draco and Nott, accompanied by a very haughty-looking Narcissa had just entered the store. Kingsley was looming behind them; he had no authority to keep them out of the shop, but he knew that it could not be a good thing for the families of two Azkaban inmates to be confronting the teens and the Order members who had been the catalysts that had led to Narcissa Malfoy's husband and the boys' fathers being incarcerated.

The three Gryffindors and the two Slytherins stiffened as they glared at each other across the book-filled space; at least Ron, Draco and Nott glared...Harry just turned his head away indifferently. Severus looked around quickly; Lupin and Nymphadora were pacing, separately somewhere amongst the stands towards the back of the shop making sure that no other undesirables were lurking; Molly and Arthur were towards the front...none of them had so far realised that they had unwanted company. Hagrid was still outside; Severus could see his huge body behind Kingsley's.

Several people scurried past the shop entrance; unlike Narcissa and her charges, they were loathe to enter with Hagrid half blocking the doorway.  There were other customers within the shop going about their business, but not as many as there would have been even one year ago, and Severus was grateful that the place wasn't  crowded. The tension in the room was tangible and Severus could almost see the waves of hatred radiating from the Slytherins...Nott in particular.

Arthur and Molly both suddenly appeared from around different stands and moved hurriedly towards the teens in their charge. They both must have seen the new arrivals; Molly took both Ron and Harry by the arms and tried to draw them behind one of the book stands. Ron was resisting and Molly was hissing at him like an angry goose; Harry seemed indifferent to the fuss and he was succumbing easily to Mrs Weasley's entreaties. Arthur had Hermione by the upper arm.

When Narcissa, instead of taking her own two charges in hand, only sneered and looked down her fine aristocratic nose at the young Gryffindors and the Weasley matriarch and patriarch trying to usher their charges away, Severus knew it was time to bring Albus Dumbledore's authority to the proceedings. He made to move out from where he was standing at one end of the counter, partially hidden by an elaborate silken banner hanging from the ceiling, advertising the newest literary offering by one of the wizarding world's most popular romance writers, but his movement was halted by another disturbance at the door.

"If you would be so kind, Narcissa, but I believe this store is open to the rest of us lowly peasants, as well as your aristocratic self."

Severus was delighted to see Narcissa lose a little of her haughtier as she staggered a little when a very determined Augusta Longbottom shunted her to one side with her more substantial frame. Bringing up the rear was her mortified-looking grandson. That mortification was amplified by horror when Neville spotted a scowling Draco Malfoy and Theodore Nott in front of the tall slim woman who had been blocking the door.

"You really do need to climb down off that pedestal of superiority, Narcissa," said the thoroughly unimpressed matron. "You might find that you could give way to the lesser beings you so delight in wiping your dainty feet on."

The pink wash of colour that had overlain the porcelain perfection of Narcissa's face lent it a rare warmth and, Severus thought, made her much more human-looking. It seemed Narcissa had no comeback for her older, formidable taunter. What disparaging put-down could she utter after all, as Augusta's pedigree was just as shining as her own and her marriage had been equally as illustrious. The two women just had different ideas about who were worthy to have been granted the gift of magic and who were not.

Draco was looking suitably furious at the aspersions cast upon his mother by this ugly old bat of a witch...Longbottom's grandmother, no less. Typical! She looked just as big a nonentity as her useless grandson.

Neville got a push in the back from Augusta and he scuttled forward. As he passed, Draco hissed something at him; Neville's face went geranium pink, but he still managed to shoot a furious look at the other boy. The Gryffindor's face relaxed somewhat when he spotted Ron, Harry and Hermione, still being held onto by Ron's parents even though the battle to get them out of sight had been abandoned when Augusta's strident tones had rung out.

"That's right, Longbottom," sneered Draco again, unable to stop himself apparently. "Go and join your blood-traitor friends. See where that gets y..." It wasn't his mother's warning hand on his shoulder that silenced him, but being prodded in the small of the back by the end of Augusta's cane. He spun around to glower at the old bat.

"At least my grandson has friends, Mr Malfoy...willing friends. Not people who are bullied into being his friends because his father is a well-known sycophant of the biggest criminal the wizarding world has ever produced. Now, move aside."

Severus noticed that Nott's deadly gaze had not left Harry during the whole of the confrontation and it wasn't until Narcissa hissed his name that he turned away to follow the Malfoys out of the shop.

"Your grandmother is bloody brilliant, Neville," said Ron in an awed voice as Remus and Tonks, still alert and with wands drawn but held at their sides, stepped out from behind their respective book cases to join the gathering near the counter.

"Way to go, Mrs Longbottom!" said Tonks, squeezing the back of the matron's hand where it clamped around the handle of her walking stick. The elderly woman looked as if she didn't know what the fuss was about, but she smirked when she spied Albus Dumbledore, and he dipped his head at her in acknowledgement of a job well done.

Even Harry's indifferent expression had been replaced with a grin when Neville joined them.

8888

It was decided to cut the day short. Madam Malkin received their custom after they had finished at Flourish and Blotts, and Eeylops and the apothecary also received quick visits. Then the highlight of the morning for the young ones was upon them...a trip to Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, the twin terrors' new retail enterprise, a treat that Severus would have given almost anything to avoid.

The twins greeted them all with alacrity and Severus as Dumbledore, had to pretend to take a childish delight in their products. It was the most acting he had had to undertake that morning. Though the actual products really did nothing to tickle Severus's funny bone, he could not help but be impressed by the skilled use of magic-potions included-employed to create many of the items. Fred and George Weasley had certainly managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the Hogwarts faculty for the whole time they had been at the school. They might have absorbed more of their lessons than anyone could have thought, but formal lessons had been torture for them; for their teachers too.

Severus had pulled the plug on the excitement when he had seen how pale Harry had become. He had put on a good act of showing enthusiasm at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes; he had even bought a gift for Ginny. It was a tiny fluffy creature, much like a miniature guinea pig that the twins had bred and called ‘Pygmy Puffs'. There had been about two dozen of them in a pen, a multi-coloured collection, and Harry had chosen a purple one. When he had asked Molly if it was okay for Ginny to have it, she had looked a little reluctant, no doubt thinking that Harry and Ginny had not been together long enough for him to be buying her gifts for no reason. She had relented smilingly though when Harry had told her it was a get-well present.

They had all made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron at around lunchtime but when Harry said he wasn't hungry, Severus decided that they would return to Hogwarts straight away. Molly immediately decided to take her two charges back to the Burrow for lunch, much to Ron's dismay; he had been reading the menu board and had thought he would quite like the steak and kidney pudding.

Molly had rolled her eyes but she had taken pity on her son and promised him she would make the pudding for dinner that evening.

Severus hadn't allowed the teens much time to say their goodbyes because he only had another couple of minutes before he had to take another dose of Polyjuice, and he wanted to avoid that if he could. Molly and Hermione had hugged Harry and Molly had talked about asking Severus if he and Harry would come to the Burrow on the last night of the holidays to partake of the end of holiday feast Molly always cooked up.

Severus ushered Harry into the Floo and sent him spinning through the system to Dumbledore's office.

Harry stumbled out onto his knees but managed to stop himself falling on his face; it was a close run thing considering he felt like crap. Hands reached forward to grasp his upper arms and haul him to his feet. Harry looked up into Dumbledore's smiling face. He started to paste a smile on his face but it changed into a frown as his gaze lowered to the oyster-grey robes the headmaster was dressed in.

And how had Professor Dumbledore gotten here before him. He was behind...The Floo roared into life again and Dumbledore pulled Harry to the side as...Dumbledore unfolded himself from the fireplace. Harry's mouth fell open, especially as the Dumbledore who had just Flooed in was changing before his incredulous eyes; the white beard was retracting into his face, the waist-length hair was shortening and darkening, the face and nose were broadening; the nose was also shrinking in length and straightening. The body was shortening and thickening very slightly, and the bright blue eyes were now midnight black.

Harry stared at his father, looking quite incongruous in the midnight blue robes with the gold phoenix-feather trim around the neckline, the cuffs of the sleeves and the hem.

The Floo roared again, but Harry ignored Remus as he stepped onto the rug, until he heard a soft, ‘oh'. That made Harry turn to Remus, his face set. "You knew?"

"Harry, Professor Dumbledore and I told Lupin not to let on," said Severus. He had the good grace to sound slightly remorseful but he did not look sorry for his subterfuge.

"Why couldn't you tell me? Did you think that I'd go blabbing all over Diagon Alley that you weren't really Professor Dumbledore...that you were really Severus Snape, Death Eater and spy?"

"It was safer this way, Harry," said the real Dumbledore. "Of course we did not think that you would deliberately give anything away. But it is much more difficult to pretend ignorance of a situation than you may think."

"I'm not an idiot!" snapped Harry.

"Harry, that is enough..." said Severus and Harry's lips tightened.

"All it would take would be a look, or a gesture...quite unconscious on your part, but telling to anyone who might be watching you,' said Albus softly.

Remus spoke, his voice calming. "And ultimately, Harry, Severus was with you for the whole time. So there isn't really anything to be upset about."

Harry just stared from one slightly guilty face to another. "Yeah," he said tonelessly. "But I didn't know it." And he turned and walked to the door on stiff legs. He let himself out, pulling the door closed with a very restrained click instead of the loud bang they had all been expecting.

"Oh dear," said Albus. "Bad timing with the transformation."

"I would have told him anyway," bit out Severus.

Albus nodded and smiled. He turned back towards his desk. "I thought you would."

After Severus had changed, he declined Albus's invitation to partake of a late lunch. He wanted to try to placate Harry as quickly as possible; they didn't need another cause for disagreement at this juncture. He braved the Floo again to descend to his rooms.

Harry was not in the living room, and unlike last time, he wasn't in his bedroom either. Severus found the shrunken purchases on the bed, so Harry had returned, and then left again. He checked and found that Harry's Firebolt was gone.

Severus sighed. It was obvious that the boy wanted to have some time alone and so Severus decided to give him some space. They would talk when Harry returned and hopefully, soaring around on that broom, would have calmed him down. After the oppressive mist in London, the weather this far north was much more conducive to outdoor activity. With any luck, Harry might be able to dispel some of his misery over the day's activities and get some of his anger out of his system. At least he wasn't just lying down and stewing on things. It had to be better that he was active.

Severus ordered a light lunch and then he set in for a couple of hours of brewing. Three hours later, Harry had still not returned. Severus exited the castle from a small door that was situated in the dungeons on the inside but opened outside onto a lower section of ground. He walked around the castle; there was no sign of Harry over the Quidditch Pitch, nor was he anywhere in the stands. He made his way down to Hagrid's hut, but that too was empty...Hagrid was probably having a high old time at the Leaky Cauldron seem as he was in London anyway.

Severus had looked in all the places he could think that Harry might go, including Gryffindor Tower, but his son was nowhere to be found. So much for wanting to be alone to think things through, thought Severus as he stalked towards Lupin's rooms. He was sure Harry must be here, because he was nowhere else in the castle and Severus knew he could not have left because of the wards.

Remus took more than a minute to open his door to the increasingly loud banging and he was taken aback when Severus pushed him aside and burst into his rooms without an invitation. Seeing immediately that Harry wasn't in his normal chair, Severus rounded on Remus, noting for the first time that the werewolf was wet and clad only in a towel.

"Severus..."

"Have you seen him?"

Remus shut the door which had banged back against the wall with the violence of Severus's entrance. He moved back into the room, readjusting the fastening of his skimpy covering. "By him, I presume you mean Harry?"

"Of course I bloody well mean Harry," growled Severus. "Has he been here?"

"I haven't seen him since he left Dumbledore's office," said Remus and his brow creased in worry when Severus sank down onto the edge of a chair and ran a hand over his face.

"How long has he been missing?" he asked, his own voice now tinged with concern.

Severus took a deep breath, then stared at the other man, not bothering to hide his worry. "I too have not seen him since he left Dumbledore's office. So, going on for four hours now."

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you all enjoyed it.