Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
`Sorry that I have taken so long to upload this. I have to admit that I forgot to do it for a long time after posting over at fanfic.net and when I did think about it, I was busy doing other things. I do not give uploading here top priority because I do not think there is that much interest for the story here. Saying that though, I do know that there are some people who are following the story here and I apologise to them.

Be aware though that many of you may have read this chapter on that other site.

ObsidianEmbrace beta-ed this and I thank her very much for her dedication to my writing. Thanks Tab!
Chapter 41: The Wrong End of the Stick!

When Severus would have launched himself down the marble steps, Albus put his hand against the younger man's chest, preventing the precipitate move.

 

"You need to calm yourself, my boy. You will shock him and he is not exactly with us right at this moment." Severus breathed himself to a calmness that was hard won, but he still look ready to deliver a stinging tirade at Albus. But it suddenly seemed to register with him that Harry had not moved so much as a muscle, despite having been hailed in a none-to-gentle voice by his very angry father; he did indeed not seem to be here at the moment. Severus turned blazing eyes upon Albus, the angles of his face standing out in sharp relief, seeming to stretch the pale skin taut across his cheekbones.

 

"What exactly is the Mirror of Erised, Albus?" asked Severus stiffly. "As it seems that Harry has come to this chamber specifically so that he could commune with it, I presume it must have been here when he came after the Philosopher's Stone."

 

Albus nodded and sighed, his eyes still fixed on Harry. "The Mirror is an ancient artefact that has had various homes throughout the castle over the years. It was my contribution to our efforts to try and keep the Dark Lord from acquiring the stone. I can see now that I should have moved it again."

 

Remus dragged his eyes away from the pathetic figure of the young boy gazing into the mirror. "He isn't seeing himself, is he?"

 

Albus shook his head. "He is not. And unfortunately, unless he tells us what he is seeing, we shall never know."

 

"Explain, old man!" said Severus through white lips.

 

"I think it would be better if you just follow my lead, Severus. It is best that we get Harry away from here as quickly as possible as explanations will only enable him to further leave reality behind and continue to live in a dream."

 

It took every ounce of Severus's not inconsiderable control to not demand an explanation now, but the Harry statue on the floor was seriously beginning to alarm him. They might have found Harry, but Severus's son was still a long way away from them. Dumbledore was striding down the steps, producing his wand from within his flowing robes.

 

When he stood beside Harry, who did not acknowledge the intrusion into his space in anyway, Dumbledore moved the wand in an arc in front of the mirror. The reflective surface undulated and shimmered for a moment before it became still again. It no longer reflected anything; it was a sheet of blackest ebony.

 

"No!" the word was uttered in a cracked voice, through vocal cords that sounded as if they had not been exercised in some time. Severus attempted to go to his son again, but this time Lupin's hand held him back. It wasn't the other man's steely strength that stopped Severus descending the stairs and advancing on Harry; it was the anguished words that Harry continued to moan that kept him rooted to the spot.

 

"Nooo! Dad...Mum...SIRIUS!" Harry had risen up on his knees and placed his hands against the transformed surface of the mirror. "Come back!"

 

"Harry." Dumbledore spoke in a calm, quiet voice. Harry remained upright on his knees but he stopped the frenetic scrabbling of his fingers against the black surface. "Harry, my boy, it is time to leave here. Your father and Remus are waiting for you."

 

Severus saw Harry's Adam's apple bob up and down as he swallowed thickly.

 

"We have been searching the castle for you, Harry. We had no idea where you were." Harry now raised his eyes to Dumbledore's face. Severus and Remus could see tear tracks down his face. Dumbledore put his hand on the boy's shoulder and squeezed gently. "I thought I once told you that it does not do to dwell on dreams. It is so easy to forget reality and forget to live the life that has been gifted to you."

 

"I miss him," whispered Harry. "I can't remember my mum and d...James...dad, and so missing them is different -they don't seem real -well, a little more real since they came out of Riddle's wand." Harry's voice became even softer and it cracked pathetically. "I forgot about him -with everything else that's happened, I forgot about him."

 

"No, my boy, you didn't forget him. We never forget those that we love. He was always here." Dumbledore placed a hand over Harry's heart. "He will always be here..." the old man cupped the same gentle hand over Harry's head, "And here. Sirius will always be with you Harry."

 

Dumbledore took Harry's elbow and helped him to his feet. "But it is the people who care for you and who are here for you now that you need to concentrate on."

 

Harry, still seemingly in a daze, looked behind him in the direction Dumbledore was gesturing. It was a few seconds before the presence of his father and Remus registered, and when it did, Harry swallowed past the lump that had suddenly lodged in his throat.

 

Remus was the one to react now. He descended the marble stairs in two long steps, advancing on Harry with purposeful strides before pulling him into a rough hug. "You had us so worried."

 

"I'm sorry," Harry mumbled as he clutched the sleeves of Remus's old robes, his brow furrowed at the obvious relief being exhibited by his friend. "I didn't real- what time is it?" Harry's eyes unerringly found his father, who was still standing at the top of the marble steps, his posture and stiff facial expression that of Severus Snape, Potions Master, not Severus Snape,  newly discovered father.

 

Remus was unaware of Harry's thoughts as he grasped his upper arms to push him back a pace so that he could look him in the eye. "Harry, you have been missing for nearly six hours. We were ready to call in the Aurors." Remus's voice was rough with emotion.

 

"I... I didn't realise," whispered Harry, beginning to feel sick. Six hours! How could that be?

 

 

8888

 

After he had fled Dumbledore's office, Harry had run through the corridors and down the many staircases, reaching his new home in the dungeons in a record short seven minutes from the seventh floor. He had placed his hand against the sturdy timber panelling of the door and it had opened immediately for him; making sure the door recognised Harry's magical signature was one of the first things his father had done when they had both decided that they wanted their relationship to work.

 

In his new bedroom, Harry had emptied his purchases from his pockets onto the bed. He had stood gazing down at the miniaturized books for a long time without actually seeing them, his hands thrust deep into his pockets, his mind weighed down with the massive subterfuge that had been perpetrated around him.

 

They don't trust me!

 

Harry had been furious; he just couldn't get past the betrayal. He had felt so lousy about going to Gringotts and finalizing Sirius's will, and after the way those foul goblins had treated Remus, he had felt ten times worse. He really could have used Severus's presence to help him cope with everything... the bank, Ginny not coming to meet them because she was unwell, Malfoy's appearance along with his snob of a mother and Theodore Nott. The whole day had been nothing but one cruddy happening after another. The only bright spot had been Neville's grandmother practically coating Narcissa and Draco in dragon dung. That had been something worth seeing. But it had not been enough to enable Harry to stop thinking about Sirius for more than the couple of minutes it had taken the scene in Flourish and Blotts to play out.

 

Harry was not entirely sure how Severus's presence during the whole of their time in Diagon alley would have alleviated his pain considering what bitter enemies he and Sirius had always been, but he knew he would have somehow felt better.

 

 Gods, even Remus had gone along with the subterfuge and he and Snape were far from friends.

 

Harry had changed into a pair of jeans that already had some grass stains on them from his forays onto the Quidditch pitch here and at the Burrow. He was going to go flying so that he could try and leave some of his anger behind. He really didn't want to get into a huge argument with his father, he really didn't. But he wasn't sure that even being a part of the sky was going to alleviate his sense of betrayal. He had thought that Snape was finished keeping secrets from him. Weren't they supposed to be working together now?

 

After twenty minutes of soaring way above the stands, and swooping and diving in a credible imitation of a world-cup class Seeker, Harry had brought his broomstick to a standstill in midair and looked around. He had shivered. It had been much cooler up here than on the ground; the light breeze had cut through the tee-shirt he wore. He had discarded his hoody, along with his good jeans back in his room, but he realised that he should have worn it.

 

A movement near Hagrid's cabin had Harry squinting in that direction. Fang was ambling around the cabin from the direction of the pumpkin patch and without much thought, Harry turned his broom in that direction. He found Fang flopped down on the ground at the base of the steps leading to the cabin door; Hagrid had obviously left him outside while he went to London. Harry knew that Hagrid didn't have to worry about his dog going into the forest by himself because Fang was nothing but a big wuss.

 

Fang's massive head had been resting on the bottom step, but when Harry had landed, the dog launched himself at him. Harry had spent about fifteen minutes with the Boar Hound, patting him and fondling his floppy, silky-smooth ears. He didn't even grimace at the amount of drool that bedecked his clothing and hands... he was just glad of the undemanding company.

 

It had been while he was fondling the dog's ears that Harry's thoughts had settled on Padfoot, the huge black dog that had been Sirius' Animagus form. Harry's pleasure in Fang had quickly been extinguished as memories of the other canine had flashed through his mind: his first sighting of the hulking outline of something massive with big, gleaming eyes standing in the space between a garage and a fence in Magnolia Crescent; it had frightened him half to death. The sighting of what he had thought was ‘the Grim' in the stands of the Quidditch pitch the day he had fallen off his broom because of the Dementors. Padfoot protecting him, Ron and Hermione from the werewolf,  Padfoot waiting at the stile in Hogsmeade during his fourth year and then accompanying him to the hospital wing after he had returned from the graveyard in Little Hangleton. And the last time he had seen the big black dog... the first of September nearly a year ago when Sirius, as Padfoot had accompanied him to King's Cross Station to see him off to school.

 

Harry had buried his head in Fang's neck, his tears wetting the dog. Fang seemed to realise what Harry needed and he had sat perfectly still, refraining from trying to swipe him with his massive tongue while Harry grieved.

 

It had been so quick. One second Sirius had been there, revelling in his fight with Bellatrix, the next he had been falling backwards through that bloody veil. Harry hadn't really spoken to Sirius that terrible night; there had been too much else going on. Sirius had yelled at him to grab Neville and run... and that had been it. The time they had actually had a conversation had been when they had spoken through the Floo; when Sirius and Lupin had tried to convince Harry that his father-James-had not been a total tosser.

 

As Harry had wept, he had realised that he had very few memories of Sirius actually being happy. Even during Christmas-the one and only they had spent together-Sirius' happiness had been overlain with the misery of being a virtual prisoner in the home of his childhood that he had hated so much.

 

I just want to see him again. I just want to see him happy and content.

 

As these thoughts had swirled around his brain like a miniature whirlwind, a light had suddenly illuminated the darkness of his misery and he had lifted his wet face from Fangs neck. Before he had a chance to move out of the way, Fang's tongue had lathed the salty tracks of his tears. Harry had swiped at the viscous saliva and tears with the front of his tee-shirt as he had run to where he had dropped his Firebolt. Within seconds, he was airborne and rocketing towards the castle, Fang's howls following him until he was out of range.

 

Running up the staircases to the third floor, Harry had been thankful not to meet anyone, and within three minutes he had been unlocking the heavy panelled door and cautiously entering the small room he had entered only twice before. Harry had been sure that Fluffy, the three headed dog that had resided here during his first year, would be long gone, and he had breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing the small space was empty. Before he could talk himself out of his plan, Harry had opened the trapdoor before swinging his leg over his Firebolt and grasping it with slightly sweaty hands. He teetered on the edge of the opening that would lead him to his goal.

 

All the obstacles will have long since been removed and the enchantments countered. And it might not even be there. It'll take me five minutes to check and if it's not there, I'll leave and that'll be that. If it is there...well, I'll only stay a short time.

 

When Harry had dived through the small opening on his broom, he had had every intention of only staying in the Mirror Chamber a short time. He had forgotten Professor Dumbledore's words to him all those years ago... he had forgotten how hypnotic the images in the Mirror of Erised were. He had never once thought that his father, Professor Dumbledore and Remus would spend hours looking for him and imagining the worst.

 

He really had not come down here to punish the adults in his life for deceiving him.

 

 

8888

 

 

When Harry looked past Remus to his father, he was taken aback by the expression on his face. The anger he was expecting to see was certainly there, but it was not the overriding emotion present in the set lips, tautened cheekbones, the carefully blank eyes and the guarded posture. Harry's bit his lip as he tried to figure out exactly what he was seeing in the harsh features.

 

He couldn't. Anger was there, yes, but muted... buried under something else. Concern...yes. Reserve? Surely not. They had gotten past reserve, hadn't they?

 

Remus put an arm around Harry's shoulder and turned him towards the marble steps and Severus. "I think it's time we got you out of here. This place can't evoke the best of memories for you, Harry." Remus bent down and swept up Harry's Firebolt that was lying on the floor, several paces behind where Harry had been sitting in front of the mirror.

 

When Harry had decided to come here, he had not allowed the memory of Quirrell and his evil parasite to deter him from his purpose. When he had stepped through the doorway leading from the small chamber that had once housed the Potion Master's contribution to the obstacle course that was supposed to keep any thief away from the stone, his eyes had immediately fallen upon the mirror that had been standing in the exact spot it had been in just over four years ago. Everything else that had happened in here had receded and any fear Harry had felt fell away. He had dropped his broomstick and approached the Mirror, cautious restraint thrown away with the broom and excitement sizzling along every nerve. The next thing he knew, the hypnotic image in the Mirror had disappeared and he had re-emerged into a reality that contained three concerned-and in his father's case, quietly angry-wizards.

 

Harry tripped up the bottom step and the only thing that stopped him falling at Severus's feet was Remus's firm hand around his upper arm. He managed to negotiate the rest of the ascent without mishap and when he was standing next to his father, he felt as awkward as he had done the first day he had become fully cognisant of being in Severus Snape's bed after he had been poisoned.

 

"I'm sorry," Harry mumbled to his father's shoulder; he wasn't game to look him in the eye. He saw Severus's chest expand with a massive intake of air; it appeared that he was trying to breathe himself to calmness. Harry really hoped that he succeeded. Without a word, Severus grasped Harry's other arm in a punishing grip, seemingly unaware that Remus already held him. "Lupin is right. The faster we leave this place, the better. Albus?"

 

Harry turned his head to stare gloomily at Dumbledore; he didn't try to extricate himself from either wizard's grip on his arms and neither of them thought to let him go. Dumbledore was standing in front of the Mirror, and as Harry watched, the old wizard pointed his wand directly at the blackened reflective surface. Harry heard a string of quietly spoken Latinate sounds and before his horrified eyes, the Mirror of Erised disappeared. Immediately, Albus replaced his wand within his robes and strode back to the small group at the top of the steps. Harry's eyes remained fixed on the spot where the Mirror had stood.

 

"You will not be able to access the Mirror again, Harry," said Dumbledore in a firm but kindly voice. "I have banished it to place you will never have access to. Unless that is, you become headmaster of this school one day in the future."

 

Harry swallowed; in that moment he was unaware of the hands holding him. In that moment, he was only achingly aware that he would not be able to see Sirius again; he would not be able to see the scene that had kept him so mesmerized for the last several hours.

 

A slight current of air against his face brought Harry back to the present and he blinked and saw with a considerable shock that Fawkes the Phoenix was before them, his magnificent wings beating the air with nary a sound. It had not occurred to him before now just how his three rescuers had arrived in this chamber, so deep below the school. He was aware of Dumbledore crooning to the bird and his father's free hand latching onto Dumbledore's wrist... Remus was still holding onto him. The next second, they were standing on the rug in front of the fireplace in Snape's dungeon rooms. Fawkes warbled a few notes of his beautiful song then disappeared in a flash of fire.

 

Severus looked quite as surprised as Harry was to find himself in the dungeon quarters. Harry had expected to end up in Dumbledore's office for the inevitable lecture. Within moments of landing, his father had released him and the headmaster and a few seconds after that, Remus also released him.

 

Severus strode to his drinks table and picked up a bottle of firewhisky. Harry's eyes widened a little as he watched Severus pour the amber liquid into three glasses. Although the firewhisky sat alongside several other bottles of alcohol and always had, Harry had never seen Severus indulge in the rough tasting drink. His face was still set in harsh lines and not a word had been spoken when he waved his hand and sent two of the tumblers floating through the air. Remus, who had handed Harry his broom, caught one and Dumbledore the other.

 

"Why don't you put that away, Harry," said Remus in his quiet, calm voice.

 

"I do not think so," said Severus. "Accio!" The Firebolt slipped through Harry's fingers into Severus's outstretched hand. Harry stared as did the two other adults. Severus ignored them all and threw his drink down his throat with the slightest of grimaces before he put the glass back on the table with remarkable restraint. Harry had expected him to slam it down.

 

As they all continued to watch, Severus took the broom into his room and was back within seconds, but not to join the group. He strode to the door and opened it, and with what Harry considered to be abominable rudeness, he stood staring pointedly at his two guests. His meaning could not have been clearer.

 

Harry heard Dumbledore sigh behind him. They three were all still standing in much the same spots they had landed in but now the headmaster moved to place his empty glass on the mantel. He put a large hand on Harry's shoulder and squeezed reassuringly. He and Remus exchanged a look before he walked to the door. Remus placed his still full glass back on the table and moved in his bosses wake.

 

"You do not want me to tell you about the mirror, Severus?" asked Dumbledore.

 

"As Harry seems to know a considerable amount about the mirror, that honour can fall to him." Harry cringed inwardly at the cold look that was thrown his way. "I do not need to know its history down through the ages, so thank you Albus, but no." He drew himself up even more erectly. "Thank you for you help, both of you, but I believe my son and I need to talk."

 

Albus sighed again and put his hand out to squeeze Severus's shoulder in the same reassuring way he had just squeezed Harry's. If he appreciated the gesture, he gave no sign of it; his posture did not relax one iota. "Do not be too harsh, my boy. Harry's disappearance was quite unintentional on his part. The Mirror of..."

 

"Thank you, Albus. I believe I am capable of talking to my son without your instruction."

 

Albus looked resigned and he nodded before stepping through the door where he stood rocking backwards and forwards with his hands behind his back, waiting for Remus. Remus turned a troubled look on Harry. "Perhaps you would like to come to my rooms for a game of chess later, Harry. If your...."

 

"That will not be happening, Lupin. Harry will not be leaving these rooms for the next 48 hours." Harry automatically opened his mouth to protest, but Remus shot him a look. Harry heeded his raised eyebrow warning and closed his mouth, but it was a hard won battle not to object to his father's edict... This was so not fair. He had not meant to be gone so long.

 

"If you want to talk later, Severus, my door will be open," he said quietly as he stepped into the dungeon corridor.

 

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind," said Severus and he pushed the door to slam shut in Remus's concerned face. Harry couldn't believe the blatant offensiveness of the action but he clamped his lips together tightly, his teeth grinding together behind them. He wasn't going to say anything-he was in enough trouble-though it felt like his chest would burst open with the effort it took to not voice an objection.

 

Severus glared across the space at Harry. Harry couldn't maintain the frosty connection and he looked down at his feet, ashamed of his cowardice. It was a while since he had seen scary, intimidating Snape though, and he found that he didn't much like the re-emergence of that unpleasant wizard.

 

"Well, what have you got to say for yourself?" asked Severus as he moved back into Harry's space. Harry thrust his hands into his jeans pockets and continued the perusal of his footwear.

 

"I didn't mean to be so long," he murmured. "I didn't deliberately disappear to worry you."

 

Severus stared at him for a full minute before he lowered himself into his chair. He placed his elbows on the chair's arms and steepled his fingers in front of his face. He looked casually relaxed but Harry could see the tension that still infused every muscle and the anger held barely at bay. "You failed abominably in both your objectives then, didn't you? I wonder if you even realise how many times over the course of a week you say ‘I didn't mean to'?"

 

Harry looked up, his brows drawn together in irritation. "I don't say it that often," was his belligerent reply.

 

"I beg to differ. Sit down."

 

"Look, I'm sorry all..."

 

"Sit down!"

 

Harry threw himself onto the sofa and glared into the fireplace. He rubbed his arms which were covered in goose-bumps. He was cold now. Not surprising considering the temperature had dropped below zero in these rooms since they had arrived back here; his father was the centre of the big chill. Harry jumped when his dark thoughts were interrupted by the whoosh of flames as they engulfed the neatly laid logs in the fireplace. He looked up as Severus waved his wand directly at him and he was bathed in instant, glorious warmth. Snape had obviously noticed how chilled he had become. Well, that proved the father was in there somewhere, though well hidden beneath the ‘old' persona.

 

"Thanks," he murmured.

 

Severus sighed. He really didn't know why he was so livid. Yes, you just continue to delude yourself, Severus. That bloody mirror was at the root of this mishap. The mirror and the image it had projected for its audience of one.

 

"What possessed you go down there?" asked Severus in as calm a voice as he could muster. "You must have known it was out of bounds."

 

Harry dropped his head back so that it rested on the sofa-back and gazed up at the ceiling. He didn't answer. "Did you leave Dumbledore's office with the intention of causing me as much grief as you could?

 

"NO!" yelled Harry. "I was upset, yeah, but after getting back here, I decided to go flying."

 

"And the Mirror of Erised just popped into your head while you were up amongst the clouds did it?"

 

"No," said Harry belligerently. "I saw Fang over near Hagrid's cabin and I went and kept him company for a while. I... He..." Harry trailed off. He didn't really want to mention Sirius; how stupid did it sound that Fang had reminded him of Padfoot. He knew Severus wouldn't understand.

 

Silence reigned for another couple of minutes, and then Severus deliberately changed direction in an effort to try and defuse his bitter anger. "Tell me about this mirror. I have never heard of it before."

 

"It's called the Mirror of Erised," said Harry, eager to follow Severus's lead, as long as it led him away from Sirius. "I... I kinda found it in my first year."

 

"Down in that hidden room when you went after the stone?"

 

"Err... no, not exactly." Harry looked over at his father who raised an impatient eyebrow.

 

"When exactly?"

 

"In the Christmas holidays," said Harry. Professor Dumbledore gave me my da...err, James' Invisibility Cloak and I went exploring in it."

 

Severus shut his eyes and Harry knew he was imagining his hands around Dumbledore's neck. He hurried on. "I came across the mirror in a disused classroom after I was...err..."

 

Severus raised an eyebrow. "After you were...err, what?"

 

Harry looked trapped but he knew any prevarication would be jumped upon. "I was trying to escape you and Filch. Filch had reported to you that someone had been in the restricted section in the library." Severus's furrowed brow slowly smoothed out and Harry could see comprehension begin to dawn. "Don'tforgetthiswaswaybackinfirstyear!" he reminded his father very quickly. Severus shut his eyes and prayed for patience.

 

"Continue," he drawled.

 

"Contin... oh, yeah. Well, the mirror was there and... well, I don't know how long I sat in front of it that first night, but a noise brought me back to my senses. The next night I took Ron back with me because I wanted him to see my... well, I just wanted him to see the mirror."

 

"So when was the mirror moved to its new home."

 

Harry rubbed his forehead and then pushed his hand through his hair. Severus sighed and shook his head. James, eat your heart out. His hair is definitely your contribution. "If your desire was to make your hair look like a cocky's crest, you have succeeded." Harry attempted to pat his hair back the other way, but it was a lost cause.

 

"The mirror was moved after Dumbledore caught me there for the third night running. He told me... well, he told me what he said tonight. ‘That it does not do to dwell on dreams' or something like that."

 

"So the headmaster, moved the mirror to-for want of a better title-the stone room." Harry nodded miserably but he looked his father in the eye. "I didn't know it would still be there... but I hoped it would be."

 

"How did that mirror work in protecting the stone?" Severus asked. He really wanted to focus on the afternoons events, but he also wanted the whole story of how Harry had rescued the stone from Quirell. Why did he feel that as a teacher at this prestigious school of witchcraft and wizardry, he knew far less about what went on within its hallowed halls than the young boy sitting before him?

 

"Err... do you know how the mirror works?" asked Harry carefully.

 

"I am reliably informed that it does not do what one would expect a mirror to do."

 

"You might say that," mumbled Harry.

 

"I just did say that. What I want to know is what it does do."

 

Harry sighed. There was no getting out of this. "It shows you what your deepest desire is," he said even more softly.

 

Severus heard none-the-less, and his gut clenched again, much like it had done when Harry was missing for all of those hours. "So," he said in a stiff voice. "My assumption is that when you were visiting the mirror in the disused classroom, you saw Lily and James."

 

Harry nodded miserably. "Yeah, and a whole load of other family members that I have no idea who they are... or were."

 

Severus wished he hadn't drunk the firewhisky. His gut was beginning to burn. "I gather Petunia and her walrus of a husband were not part of that vision."

 

"Err, no."

 

"So how did this enchanted mirror protect the stone?" Severus tried to keep his tone casually curious.

 

Harry felt sick. He didn't like thinking about that episode in his life. Come to think of it, there were a whole lot of episodes in his life that he hated thinking about.

 

"Professor Dumbledore somehow hid the stone inside the mirror. When Quirell looked in the mirror, he saw himself presenting Voldemort with the stone. So, he couldn't get it." Harry trailed off. He jumped up and began to pace. "Hey, can we have dinner? I'm starving."

 

Severus allowed Harry his reprieve. He ordered them a meal from the kitchen. He even allowed him to finish his main course and start on his treacle tart before bringing up the subject again.

 

He sipped his coffee and watched the teenage appetite annihilate what looked like half a twelve inch tart topped with whipped cream. It was satisfying to see Harry eating with such abandon, though table manners were still conspicuous by their absence.

 

Severus amended that thought. The table manners had improved slightly. Harry had actually worked out what a napkin was for now.

 

"So, Harry, getting back to our pre-dinner conversation..."

 

Harry groaned. His appetite seemed to Disapparate, it disappeared so fast. "Can't we stop talking about the Mirror of Erised?" he said, putting his spoon down and pushing the decimated tart away.

 

Severus raised his eyebrows. "Why would you want to do that? You were quite keen on it this afternoon. You disappeared for over four hours and you had three adult wizards running around like hippogriffs with their heads cut off. Not to mention the House Elves and the ghosts.

 

Harry picked up his unused desert fork and began sticking it into the pie. Severus reached across and pulled the fork out of his hand. "That is one of your less endearing meal-time behaviours, Harry. Please try to desist in future."

 

"Fine," grumbled Harry, slumping down in his chair so that his chin was almost level with the tabletop.

 

"What was your heart's desire today, Harry?"

 

"It wasn't important."

 

"It was important enough to keep you mesmerized for hours on end."

 

"I told you I wasn't there the whole time," yelled Harry.

 

"You were there most of the time."

 

Harry glared. "What does it matter? You found me. You've expressed your displeasure and you've grounded me for two days." He stood up, pushing his chair back noisily on the stone floor.

 

"Sit down."

 

"I'm tired. I'm going to bed."

 

"Sit down!"

 

Harry ignored him. He didn't want to talk about this anymore. He moved quickly towards his bedroom but when he reached the door, it slammed shut in his face; he just pulled up short before his nose smashed into it. Harry spun around and glared at Snape. "What the hell... You nearly broke my nose! And my glasses"

 

"We have not finished this, Harry."

 

"I've finished. It's over. The mirrors gone now to God knows where and there's no possibil..." Harry's voice cracked and he turned back to the door, trying frantically to open it. But Severus had not just shut it, he had locked it. Harry leaned his forehead against the wood.

 

Severus felt sick. Now it seemed that the coffee was burning a hole in his gut. After everything they had gone through to reach this stage in their relationship, his son preferred Black. Black had been Harry's heart's desire. Black was whom Harry had seen in that mirror.

 

Severus's voice, when he spoke was stiff, as was his face and his posture. "I am sorry that you are so miserable. I had thought-hoped-that now, my presence in your life might have made you feel better about the fact that Black is no longer around for you."

 

"I've hardly thought about him," murmured Harry to the door. He's been dead for just over a month, and with everything that has happened he was relegated to the back of my mind. How could I have done that?"

 

"You have been through a great trauma, both physically and emotionally. You have had some major adjustments to make in your life. It is no wonder that thoughts of Black have not been your major priority."

 

"My major priority? He hasn't had any priority at all," cried Harry.

 

Severus sighed. He stood up and moved into the living room. He eyed the bottle of single malt but just as quickly rejected the desire for a drink. He did not think he would be able to keep the alcohol down so any calming effect would be negated. Later, perhaps a calming draught. He sat down. He noticed that Harry had turned around and was now leaning against the door, staring at those fascinating trainers again.

 

"I am sorry that you are so miserable. I do know what Black meant to you. I am aware that if he was still alive, you would much prefer to be with him."

 

Harry's head snapped up and he stared at Severus. "What... that's not true..."

 

"Don't bother to deny it, Harry!" snapped Severus, his tolerance ebbing away. He was not being very successful in hiding his bitterness.  "I heard you cry his name down there. I saw how miserable you were all day because he was on your mind; he has been since Albus mentioned the will. Why not admit that you were seeing Black in that mirror... that Black is your deepest desire."

 

"You think I just saw Sirius in the mirror?" asked Harry, pushing himself away from the door and moving around the dining table into the sitting area.

 

"I know you saw him in the mirror. I saw and heard your reaction when Albus charmed the reflective surface black."

 

Harry shook his head. "You're wrong... well, you're half wrong."

 

Severus frowned. "Harry, I..."

 

"I saw you in the mirror too."

 

A splash of colour suffused Severus's sallow cheeks. "But I heard you."

 

"Yeah, you heard me call Sirius's name because he's gone." I think I called for Mum and Dad too, because they're gone." Harry's voice had petered out to a barely audible whisper by the end of this little speech. He turned away from Severus and took a shuddering breath. After several seconds where Severus felt more and more guilty, Harry turned back to face his father. When he spoke again, his voice was a little stronger. "I didn't call you because you're here. I can see you whenever I want to. Remus too."

 

Severus's mouth opened as if he was going to say something, but no sound emerged and he snapped it shut again. He shook his head and tried again. "You saw all of us? Black? James and Lily? Lupin?

 

Harry stared at his father. "Not just them," he whispered. "I saw you and me with all of them.

 

Severus's frown deepened.

 

"Don't you get it?" said Harry in a soft, strained voice. I saw all of us together because I want us to be a family. I saw you all united and enjoying each other's company. I saw us all together and James and Sirius accepting that you're my father too."

 

Severus sat stunned, his face white and set. Jealousy had been eating him alive since he had realised exactly what Harry had been sitting in front of in the Stone Room. He had been working up a fine head of steam because of his jealousy of a dead man. He had been mentally lambasting Harry because he had been imagining him wanting Black instead of himself.

 

But once again, Harry had shocked him; he had shown what a caring and unselfish individual he was. And he, Severus had shown just what a bitter and resentful individual he was.

 

Harry's deepest desire was not just to unite the family and friends he had cared for since learning of their existence, it was to unite them with a man whom all but Lily had loathed so that they could be a family. Harry did not desire to get rid of the father he had recently acquired; he desired a large, united family.

 

Severus had not been able to maintain eye contact with Harry; he had been staring at his clenched fist where it rested on the chair arm. But when he heard Harry move, he looked up. Harry's hands were shoved deep into his pockets and his shoulders were hunched. He now seemed reluctant to maintain eye contact and was pushing the pile of the rug against its natural direction. Severus could see the heightened colour in his cheeks and forehead.

 

Severus was unable to speak; he did not know what to say. He had already jumped to the most erroneous conclusion that he could and he was ashamed.

 

Finally, it was Harry who broke the silence. He cleared his throat. "Umm, anyway, I'm sorry for disappearing like that.  It really was unintentional, but I understand that you're peeved..."

 

"I was worried, Harry," contradicted Severus in a hoarse voice.

 

  Harry rubbed the corner of his eye. He nodded. "I didn't mean..."

 

"I know you didn't. I am unused to worrying about anyone but myself and my anxiety tends to manifest itself as anger." Severus paused, trying to gather his thoughts. "I am reluctant to let go of that anger and when I thought you were pining for Black...for Sirius, I became...well, I was jealous."

 

Harry threw himself down onto the end of the sofa nearest Severus's chair. He leaned on the arm. "Dad..."

 

"I thought you wanted something more than what we have here."

 

"But I don't. The image in the mirror was a dream. Sirius and Mum and D-Dad...they're gone. I know they're gone. But I have you, and that's enough. It's more than I've really ever had before.

 

"Sirius was there for a while, and I know he cared, but he had an awful lot of baggage. He was so miserable all the time...well, most of the time." Harry sighed. "I was just as worried about him as he was about me. I spent most of last year stressing about Sirius and worrying that he would do something stupid...like he did when he went to the Ministry despite Dumbledore telling him to stay behind."

 

"I would have done exactly the same thing, Harry. Black was not going to wait until he had word that you were safe; he was going to assist in making sure you were saved." Severus paused but then he looked Harry in the eye. "We hated each other, Harry, and I baited him when he was stuck in Grimmauld Place. But I did not believe what I said. I know that Sirius was no coward. If anything, he was brave to the point of recklessness."

 

"He went into that fight in the department of Mysteries as if it was a game," whispered Harry. "He was laughing when he was duelling Bellatrix."

 

Severus put his hand on Harry's forearm. "He was free for the first time in many months, Harry. He had been imprisoned in that house since he saw you onto the train at the beginning of the school year. Close to ten months."

 

Harry sighed. He enjoyed the weight of Severus's hand on his arm and he kept his gaze on it. "At least I got out from under Umbridge's tyranny for a few weeks at Christmas."

 

Severus squeezed Harry's arm and Harry looked up at him. "I miss him, Dad. I can't have what I saw in the mirror...that was a dream. I wouldn't swap you for him. Not now."

 

Severus stared into Harry's earnest green eyes for a few seconds, but then he dragged his gaze away and stared into the fire. He blinked several times and cleared his throat. "Thank you for saying that, Harry."

 

The two wizards both sat gazing into the fire; they were comfortable with the silence that had fallen between them. When it looked as if Harry would fall asleep where he sat, Severus sent him to bed. Harry went without argument. The last couple of hours had been emotionally draining; the whole day had been emotionally draining.

 

"Harry." Harry looked over his shoulder from his position near his bedroom door. Severus was standing with his wand out. "You might find entry a little easier if I lift the ‘Colloportus'."

 

Harry grinned and stood aside. Ten minutes later, a towel firmly fastened around his slim hips he left his bathroom after cleaning his teeth and treating himself to a hot shower to remove the lingering traces of dog odour and drool. The day's purchases and his discarded hoody were still on the bed and Harry stacked the books on his desk and hung the hoody over the back of the chair. He bent to pick up the jeans that had slipped off the bed. When he bent down, he saw a folded flower-patterned piece of parchment on the mat and he recognised it as the note Ron had passed him earlier that day. Harry threw the jeans onto the chair and sat down on the side of the bed.

 

Ginny's note was short, her writing neat and easy to read, unlike her brother's.

 

Dear Harry,

 

I'm sorry that I couldn't come today, but mum was being such a MOTHER! I've got a cold for Merlin's sake! You'd think I had Dragon Pox! I'm furious with her and I already miss you.

 

Has Professor Snape settle down after springing us in the Great Hall yesterday? I thought he was going to fry us! I hope he didn't fry you.

 

Try not to be too miserable about Sirius. I know you and I know you will be moping. Particularly if I'm not there to snap you out of it.

 

See you soon.

 

Love, Gin.

 

XX

 

A light flowery scent rose from the paper and Harry raised it to his nose and inhaled deeply; the vision of Ginny was so clear at that moment, Harry smiled. There was a knock on the door and Harry quickly folded the parchment and slipped it under his pillow, pulling his pyjamas out at the same time. "Come in."

 

Severus poked his head around he door. "I'm going to be out for a short time, Harry. I just wanted to tell you in case you need me and I'm not here." He raised an eyebrow. "I thought you would already be in bed."

 

"Just going," said Harry, pulling his covers down and straightening to pull the old tee-shirt he wore to bed over his head. Severus was frustrated to see the wet patches that now adorned the thin fabric because as usual, Harry's hair was dripping wet after his shower. He was however pleased to see that the boy had a little more meat on his bones; his ribs were no longer as prominent as they had been three weeks ago.

 

Harry straightened his glasses which he hadn't bothered to remove before pulling on his tee-shirt.  "Where are you going?"

 

It was a few seconds before Severus answered and his tone was a little stiff when he said, "I thought I would go and see if Lupin has recovered from the day's proceedings. Now, into bed." Severus ducked out and pulled the door shut; he didn't see the huge grin that blossomed on Harry's face, but he was sure there would be one.

Chapter End Notes:
Enjoy.