Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi, everyone. Here's chapter 27.

Thank you, Kim, Ivanova, and Kaity!
Chapter 27

Severus was already in the dining room when Harry, Ron, and Hermione came in. The professor's gaze flicked over them, coming to rest on Harry, and he thought that those black eyes were filled with trepidation, even though Severus' face was impassive.

Harry smiled and went to stand close beside him. "Thank you for inviting my friends over."

Severus' expression didn't change, but his eyes seemed to warm and glimmer. He placed his hand on Harry's shoulder. "You're welcome."

"Yes, thank you for letting us see Harry, Professor," Hermione said, sounding polite but a little hesitant, as if she halfway expected Severus to begin insulting her and Ron.

But he only inclined his head at her and said in a stiff but equally polite tone. "Thank you for accepting the invitation. I know that your support means a great deal to Harry." He gestured towards the table. "Shall we sit down?"

Clam chowder, salad, and grilled shrimp appeared as soon as they were seated. It was a quiet meal. Harry thought that both Severus and his friends seemed ill at ease, but he supposed that was to be expected. While Severus had not treated Ron and Hermione as badly as he had treated Harry in the past, he had been snide and unfair, as he often was to all the Gryffindors. In return, they had always resented Severus, though Harry knew that it was as much from their loyalty and protectiveness for him as from their own sense of being wronged.

He hoped that things would change now, that Severus, Ron, and Hermione could learn to get along, too, but he supposed that for now, he'd better just be grateful that they were all being civil. Ron and Hermione did make sure to thank Severus again as they were finishing lunch and he nodded at them once more before turning to Harry.

"So how do you three plan to spend the afternoon?"

Harry glanced over at the windows. Dark clouds still covered the sky and the rain fell steadily. "Um, looks like we're stuck inside. I guess I'll show Ron and Hermione around, if that's all right, and then we'll just hang out."

"Of course you may show your friends around. Prince Hall is your home, too. I'll be brewing in my laboratory, if you should need anything." He stood, letting his hand rest briefly on Harry's shoulder again before striding out of the dining room.

When he was gone, Harry smiled at his friends. "That went pretty well. Thanks, guys."

"Well, he does care for you now, and that's the main thing," Hermione said. "Right, Ron?"

"Yeah," he nodded.

"It does mean a lot to me," Harry admitted. "That you're here and, you know, supportive and all, not just about the spell, but about Severus, too."

"Some of the other Gryffindors might not be, though," Ron warned before suddenly looking concerned and adding, "Oh, sorry, mate."

Harry frowned. "For what?"

"Well, you know, we're here to cheer you up, to try to help you feel better, not to make you worry about anything," Ron explained.

"I do feel better, and I know the other Gryffindors might have problems with me and Severus getting along now, but I hope they'll accept it." Harry sighed. "I'm going to ask Severus if he'll be a little more fair to us this year, too. I mean, I can't ask him to change completely, but maybe just a little bit."

"I really think the others will be all right with it, Harry," Hermione reassured him. "Eventually...if they can see that Professor Snape has changed towards you anyway."

"Anyway, you know you can count on us," Ron promised.

Harry nodded. "I know. Hey, have you met Norie and Zan yet?"

He called the house elves and introduced them to his friends when they appeared. After they had gone, he noticed that Hermione looked disapproving. For a moment it puzzled him, but then he remembered her dedication to SPEW. He felt a sharp pang as he also remembered how he and Ron had always been a little embarrassed at Hermione's fervor for elves' rights. Not that he'd ever believed that it was right for house elves to be slaves. He'd always known that it was wrong in principle, but since so many of the elves themselves seemed content with their lot, and since he'd always had other more immediate problems to deal with, he'd never spent much time worrying over it.

Now it was different.

Now he truly knew how wrong the whole system was. Whether the elves believed they were happy or not, they should be free. They should at least have a choice of what they wanted to do with their lives and to be able to leave abusive homes. Harry thought of how, back when he'd first fallen under the slavery spell, he'd been sick with fear over the idea of Severus having complete control over him. Thank Merlin, Severus had turned out to be wonderful, but what if Draco Malfoy had been the first one to touch him instead? What if he were a slave to the Malfoys or to someone like them? Harry shuddered and tried to banish the thought from his mind.

Taking a deep breath, he noticed that Ron and Hermione were watching him in concern. He forced himself to relax and to smile at them.

"It's all right, Hermione," he said. "Norie and Zan are free. Severus freed them right after he inherited the estate. They stay here because they want to."

"Oh." She smiled back. "That's good then."

"Yeah." Harry's smile faltered. "Severus has never wanted anyone to be his slave, not even me back when he hated me. He's told me several times that he would free me right away if there were a safe way to do it."

Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it. "We'll find a way, Harry. Don't give up."

They were quiet for a moment; then Ron cleared his throat. "Hey, weren't you going to show us around this place?"

Feeling a little relieved at the change of subject, Harry nodded. "Yeah, I am. Come on, guys, this way."

Harry dutifully led his friends around Prince Hall and then the three of them settled back in his room. Harry asked about their holidays, and listened while Hermione told him all about the trip to Germany she'd taken with her parents.

Then Ron brought him up to date on the Weasley family news. George had fully recovered from the loss of his ear. Though it couldn't be replaced since it had been cursed off with dark magic, his hair was long enough to hide the missing appendage so it didn't really matter except that he had a harder time hearing sounds on his right side now. The twins' joke shop was doing phenomenally well. Ginny and Luna Lovegood had become close friends and Luna had come to visit at the Burrow several times. The two girls and Ron had spent plenty of time dueling and brushing up on the DADA skills that Harry had taught them in Dumbledore's Army the previous school year.

"We wanted to be ready for this year," Ron explained. "We all kind of thought that the war would be going strong and that we might have to face Voldemort and Death Eaters again. I guess that's all settled, but maybe we could still have the DA, just like a club or something."

"Yeah, like we were going to have that dueling club back in second year," Hermione added. She grinned. "Funny how that fell through after Professor Snape trounced Lockhart."

That led to reminiscing about past years at Hogwarts and then to speculating about the upcoming one.

"I wonder who'll be the Defense professor this year," Hermione wondered.

"Anyone would be better than Umbridge," Ron responded. He turned to Harry. "Oh, that reminds me. Toad Lady was arrested a few days ago. The Jordans and the Kincades are pressing charges against her for using that Blood Quill on Lee and Faith. Dumbledore's set her trial for next week so with any luck she'll be in Azkaban by the time school starts."

"I wish you could press charges against her, too, Harry," Hermione said.

But Harry just shrugged. "I really don't want to have to get involved. The less I have to do with the Ministry and the public, the better. Besides, as long as she's going to Azkaban anyway, what difference does it make?"

"But she hurt you, too, and she should be held accountable for it," Hermione replied firmly.

Harry shook his head at her and decided to change the subject. "I wish Remus would be the Defense professor again. He was the best teacher we ever had."

"Yeah, but I doubt that'll happen. People still feel pretty strongly against werewolves," Ron told him.

"But Remus is perfectly fine as long as he takes Wolfsbane, and he is an awesome instructor," Harry insisted.

"I'm not arguing, but I just don't think it's gonna happen," Ron answered. "What's Remus up to anyway?"

"Well, Dumbledore said he was on a mission for the Order, but that was earlier this summer" Harry said. He grimaced. "I don't really know what he's doing now. He never writes to me," he finished in a quiet voice.

Ron and Hermione exchanged a glance. Hermione said softly, "Well, if he's been on a mission, it probably wasn't safe for him to contact you, Harry."

It seemed to Harry that Remus could have found a way to send some message, either before leaving on his mission or since Voldemort's death, if he'd wanted to. But he only nodded and said, "Yeah, I guess."

"So who do you think'll make the Quidditch team this year, now that we've lost four of our old members?" Ron asked after an awkward pause.

"I don't know, but look at this. Severus gave it to me for my birthday." Harry summoned the Secrets of Seeking book and handed it to Ron, who flipped through it with a look of delight.

"This is awesome, Harry. I can't believe he gave this to you. And he said you could play this year, right? Even when we play Slytherin?"

Harry nodded. "Right. I told you everything's changed. Severus is really good to me now."

Ron grinned. "That's great, Harry." Abruptly he scowled at the window. "Why does it have to be raining? We need to go outside and practice some of these moves."

"You didn't bring a broomstick anyway," Hermione pointed out.

Ron waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "Big place like this, there's bound to be a few extra broomsticks around. But Snape...sorry, Professor Snape probably wouldn't like it if we went outside in the rain. Mum never lets us at home, says we'll catch our death of cold. Bit silly, really. We play in the rain at Hogwarts, but oh, well..." he shrugged. "Next time I'll bring my Cleansweep."

"Okay," Harry nodded, and realised that a warm happy feeling had spread through his chest at the words next time.

The afternoon passed quickly. Harry and Ron pored over the Quidditch book, analysing moves and studying the diagrams, while Hermione found a book from the library and curled up on the window seat to read. Before Harry knew it, the clock was chiming four, and Zan brought up a plate of biscuits and cups of tea for them. After tea, it was time for Ron and Hermione to leave.

They went down to the front parlour to find Severus waiting.

"I trust you all had a pleasant visit," he said.

Hermione nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Thanks a lot, sir, for having us over," Ron added after a moment's hesitation.

"Perhaps you could come again next weekend, if you don't have other plans," Severus offered.

Harry beamed at him, and Ron and Hermione nodded. "We'd like that. Thank you."

It was decided that Ron would Floo back to the Burrow, and since the Grangers' house wasn't connected to the network, that Severus would take Hermione home by side-along Apparition.

Ron and Harry clasped hands and then Ron stepped into the fireplace and disappeared. Hermione gave Harry another hug and promised to see him again soon.

"If you're ready, Miss Granger, you may take my arm," Severus said, holding his arm out to her. Hermione looked a little uncertain, but she did as directed. Severus spun and they were gone.

Harry sat down on the gold-striped sofa to wait, and sure enough, within five minutes, there was a popping sound and Severus had reappeared.

"I must say that despite my previous convictions, your friends do seem to have been taught some manners," the professor commented as he came over to join Harry on the sofa.

"You never know, you might end up liking them, too," Harry told him, feeling more light-hearted than he had in a long time.

Severus just snorted at that idea, but seeing the relaxed expression on Harry's face, his own face softened. "I'm glad you had a good time with them."

Harry glanced at him and said a little shyly. "Thanks again. I know you probably didn't want to bring them here, but it was really great for me to see them. And thanks for telling them about everything. I was dreading that."

"I wasn't sure if that might have been a mistake," Severus admitted. "But I thought perhaps it was something that I could do for you. I knew you needed your friends."

He draped his arm on the back of the sofa and after a moment Harry cautiously leaned against him. Severus immediately shifted his arm to curl it around Harry's shoulders and they sat in companionable silence.

***

When Harry woke the next morning, the first thing he saw was another small gift-wrapped package sitting beside his glasses on his night table. He slid the glasses on and reached for the present. It was a blue bag with silver ribbons this time, and inside was a golden Snitch that fluttered its wings and began darting about his room.

Harry leaped out of bed and snatched at it. It took him several tries, but he finally grabbed it and stuffed it back inside the bag, laughing. Then he collected some clothes and headed off to the bathroom to shower and dress.

At breakfast, he turned to Severus. "Thanks for the Snitch. As soon as the rain lets up, I'm going to start practicing some of the moves from that book you gave me. Oh, and thanks for the chocolate frog yesterday, too."

Severus looked at him with a deadpan face and raised an eyebrow. "Snitches and sweets? You must be mistaken, Harry. Surely you know that I'm hardly the type to dispense frivolous gifts."

Harry wasn't fooled, but if Severus wanted to play that game, he decided that he could go along with him. He nodded. "Must be Hedwig, then."

"No doubt," Severus agreed dryly.

They ate a few more bites and then Harry took a deep breath. "Severus?"

The professor stopped eating and gave Harry his full attention. "What is it?"

"I've been thinking about what you said, about making a public statement for the reporters and how it would be better in the long run, and I guess I need to do that."

Severus laid his hand on top of Harry's. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?"

Harry shook his head. "I really just want them to leave me alone, but I want to be able to go out without it causing a big scene, too. If this is what I need to do to get people to give me some space, then I'll do it."

"I'll be right beside you," Severus promised. "And I'm sure Albus will be there too, if you want him. We won't let them pressure you, Harry. It'll be all right."

Harry bit his lip. "Is there any way they could find out about the spell, do you think?"

"I don't see how," Severus responded.

"Well, all right then. Let's do it."

After breakfast, they went to the parlour and spent the better part of the morning preparing the statement. Harry realised anew how clever Severus was. He knew just how to present the facts in a smooth, polished manner without giving away one extra bit of information.

"You're really a true Slytherin, Severus," Harry remarked. When the professor grew very still, he realised that his words could be interpreted as less than complimentary so he added anxiously, "I meant that in a good way. It's just that you're so clever."

Severus relaxed and smiled at him, though Harry thought his eyes still looked troubled. "Thank you, Harry. Slytherins can have some good qualities, you know."

Harry suddenly felt terrible, although he truly had meant his words as a compliment. "I know, sir. I didn't mean anything bad...I just..."

They were sitting together on the sofa and Severus pulled him close into a one-armed hug. "It's all right, Harry. I know what you meant. It just saddens me a bit that oftentimes others refuse to recognise that Slytherins can be decent people, too. And it makes me even more angry with Voldemort and his followers. I can't deny that unfortunately, a greater percentage of Death Eaters have come from Slytherin, but Voldemort did have supporters from the other three Houses as well."

"Like Peter Pettigrew," Harry said.

Severus nodded and held him closer. "Indeed. The truly sad fact is that there has been so much prejudice against Slytherin that even those who did not come from original Death Eater families were easy prey to his propaganda. Almost all young people wish for acceptance, to belong to a peer group, to have the approval of the adults in their lives. If they can't find it with one set of people, they'll search for it with another."

Harry looked up at him and asked softly, "Is that what happened with you?"

For a moment, he was afraid he'd overstepped the boundaries, that it was too personal a question, but then Severus made a sound that might have been a sigh or a wry little laugh.

"Is it that obvious? Perhaps I'm not as Slytherin as you think. But yes, that's basically the tale of how I fell into Voldemort's trap."

"I'm sorry," Harry said quietly.

Severus shook his head. "It was my choice," he said firmly. "And despite everything I just told you, I do believe that by the time a person is in their last years at school, they must accept responsibility for their own actions and not blame it on their past or on the actions of others. But it would be nice to see people give Slytherins a chance and not always assume the worst. Many of my youngsters in Slytherin have heavy burdens to overcome and a little acceptance could go a long way."

It was ridiculous, Harry thought, the way he felt a pang at Severus calling the Slytherins his youngsters.

But Severus was right, and Harry suddenly wanted to make him feel better. "I'll try harder to get along with the Slytherins this year, Severus, I promise."

Severus reached over to brush Harry's hair back from his forehead. "Thank you, Harry, but I also want you to be careful. I won't say it's too late for them...after all, I changed and I was several years out of school...but some of the older students have become hardened and I'm well aware that there is bad blood between you and them. Your safety and well-being is my top priority."

Well, that more than made up for him being possessive over the Slytherins. Harry felt that warm glow deep inside again. He leaned against Severus.

"I'll be careful, but I'll try if I can." Suddenly his face darkened. "Except for Malfoy. I hate him!"

Severus placed his hands on Harry's shoulders and looked into his eyes. "Harry, what Draco did to you is inexcusable and you do have every right to be angry. I'm angry with him myself. But hatred is a very damaging emotion and the person it will damage the most is you. Trust me, I know that better than anyone."

"But it's all his fault! I wouldn't be a slave if it weren't for him." Harry's voice shook.

Severus wrapped his arms around him and rubbed his back comfortingly. "But you also wouldn't have come to Prince Hall," he said softly. "I would have never discovered how wrong I was about you, and we wouldn't have each other."

Harry sniffed. "Are you saying that it's all right, what he did?"

"No, of course not," Severus said firmly. "I said that casting that spell against you was inexcusable, didn't I? Draco did a terrible thing to you. I'm not saying otherwise. But I am glad that you're here and that we're a family now. And I'm saying that if you let hatred into your heart, it will almost certainly end up hurting you and hurting other innocent people more than the object of your hatred. When your father and I were in the midst of our bitter feud, I never imagined it would eventually lead to my abusing an innocent child, and yet it did."

Harry was quiet for a while. Then he looked up. "So you think I could end up teaching little Malfoys and being mean to them one day?"

Severus rolled his eyes. "Probably not."

Harry sighed. "I guess I see what you're saying, Severus. But I don't know if I can not hate Malfoy after this."

"I have faith in you, Harry. You're a generous and compassionate person. There's no hatred in you." Severus kissed the top of his head, then sat back. "Now, I think we've done a pretty good job on this statement. Why don't we take it to Hogwarts and let Albus look over it, too?"

Harry wasn't sure if Severus were right about him. Whenever he thought of Draco Malfoy and how the other boy had enslaved him, he was pretty sure he felt some hatred. But he didn't want to discuss it anymore at the moment, so he just agreed and he and Severus left word for the elves before Flooing to Hogwarts.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading! Please review.