Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you'll enjoy chapter 54. Thanks again, Kim, Dawn, Brandy, and everyone who has been so supportive.
Chapter 54

Harry and Severus started lessons on Monday morning. Immediately after breakfast they went to the library and Severus enlarged one of the small tables so that there was plenty of room for Harry to spread out his books and sheets of parchment. They spent the rest of the morning working on Transfiguration and Charms.

Shortly before noon Severus said, "That's enough for now, I think. After lunch I want you to read chapter seven in your Potions text. Then you may have the rest of the afternoon to spend as you please, but a twelve-inch essay summarizing Golpalott's Fifth Law is due Friday. Tomorrow we'll begin brewing the anti-dote for the aconite poison."

"And work on Defense?" Harry asked eagerly.

Severus nodded. "And Herbology, too, if Pomona can spare some belladonna and knotgrass."

They put away their materials and went to the dining room for lunch, going separate ways afterwards with Severus heading back to the library to begin another tutoring session with Draco.

"Dad," Harry called after him.

Severus paused and looked back at him.

"You'll be finished by four, won't you?" Harry wanted to know.

"Yes, we'll have tea together if you want," his father told him.

"Then can we fly again?"

Severus hesitated before slowly nodding. "Yes, we'll fly again, but as much as I enjoy it, Harry, I'm afraid that after today we may have to limit our flying to Friday afternoons. I need to spend some time preparing for our lessons. I have never taught any subject other than Potions and I want to be certain that I am doing my best for you. I won't have your education lacking because we left Hogwarts. And if we're going back to the school after dinner most evenings, then that only leaves the time between tea and dinner for me to review the other subjects and prepare."

It suddenly occurred to Harry that his father was taking on a lot of extra work by assuming the responsibility of his education, and he felt guiltily unhappy about causing Severus trouble.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

But Severus immediately shook his head and came back down the hall to stand close. He rested his hand on Harry's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"Nonsense. There's nothing for you to be sorry for. Indeed, I am happy that I can be here for you. You've given me so much joy and I want to do all that I can to help you. Of course I do; I'm your father."

"Thanks, Dad." Harry wondered briefly how many times he had said that over the past couple of days, but he was so grateful to Severus for letting him come back home, for protecting and supporting him, ...heck, for all the things he had done for Harry these past months. Words really couldn't even begin to express his feelings, but he hoped his father understood anyway.

Severus' black eyes glimmered. "You are welcome. Now, go and read that chapter."

"Yes, sir!" Harry said smartly. He saluted and then dodged the playful smack his father sent in his direction, laughing a little as he ran upstairs to his room.

Severus' lips quirked upwards in a smile of his own as he watched his son; a smile that faded when he turned and walked back to the library.

Draco was waiting for him, standing inside the doorway, his expression a mixture of sulkiness and apprehension.

Severus motioned him to sit at the table. "Good afternoon, Draco." His voice was firm, but politely pleasant.

Draco glanced at him uncertainly. "Good afternoon," he mumbled.

Severus flicked his wand and a portrait suddenly appeared, standing upright on the table before Draco. "Tell me your impressions of this portrait."

The blond boy looked at him blankly. "What?"

Severus gave a wave of his hand. "Your parents were both art connoisseurs. I'm certain they've taught you something about the value of art. So I would like to hear your impression of this painting."

Draco still looked doubtful, but he knew better than to continue questioning Severus. He turned his attention to the portrait.

"Hmm, it's stationary so obviously it was painted before the Animation Charm was invented in the 900's. Perhaps by Marcelli? Antonia Marcelli was one of the great early artists, though I don't recognize this one."

Draco leaned forward, closer to the portrait, as he became more interested. His voice changed, losing its hesitancy and becoming more certain. He reached out with his right hand, one finger almost, but not quite, touching the painting as he discussed particular elements.

"It's rather intriguing. The woman in the portrait has a reserved posture with her arms folded like that, but then she has such a direct gaze. The armrest of the chair serves as a divider. It creates the impression of space between the model and the observer. Her expression is ambiguous, but kind and serene. You feel drawn to her, but at the same time, you hesitate."

"Look at the curve of her hands, that's magnificent. There's masterful use of light and shadows. Her face is translucent, which is a direct contrast to the darker elements of her hair and veil. And the landscape behind her...there's incredible perception of depth and volume. Overall, it's masterful, with subtle modeling of forms and the impression of harmony. I can't believe I've never seen it before."

Draco sat back and looked up at Severus. "It's a fascinating portrait, sir, obviously created by a genius. If not Marcelli, then I would guess Michel Landry."

Severus shook his head. "This portrait is called the Mona Lisa. Well, this one is not the original, of course, but it is a rather good copy. The original was painted by Leonardo da Vinci, who was, in fact, a genius. He was one of the greatest artists and scientists that the world has ever known. He was also a Muggle."

Draco stared at him and then shook his own head. "That's impossible! No Muggle created that."

"I assure you, one did," Severus said blandly. He gave another flick with his wand. The painting disappeared, returning to its spot in the upstairs gallery, while a tall thick book soared from a bookshelf and landed neatly on the table before them.

"But Muggles are stupid and...boorish and, and...," Draco insisted.

"And yet they created the Mona Lisa, and this, and this." Severus flipped through several pages of the book, showing great works of art by Michelangelo, Raphael, and other great artists of the Renaissance. He pushed the book across the table towards Draco. "Look through it for a few minutes."

Draco frowned, but did as he was told. Severus watched as his frown slowly changed to a look of bewilderment. But when the boy finally looked back up, his expression was mulishly stubborn.

"This book is wrong. Muggles could not possibly have done these things. They must have been wizards in disguise for some reason."

Severus shrugged. "You are not the first pureblooded wizard who has insisted on that theory, but extensive research has yet to show that there was one drop of magical blood in those particular artists."

Draco did not look at all convinced. "I thought we were going to be studying, sir, not looking at art books."

"Consider it a version of Muggle Studies," Severus told him. "We're going to spend some time each day discussing notable achievements of the Muggle world, beginning with the great works of art."

Draco looked as if he were wondering whether time in Azkaban might be better than this fate after all.

"But why?" He demanded in horror.

Severus gazed at him, measuringly, for a long moment. "Ask me again in six months."

He straightened and deliberately made his expression and voice stern and slightly intimidating. "By Friday I want you to have read the first three chapters of this book. You will select two of the artists and write a twenty-four inch essay comparing similarities and differences in their styles and work. As I realize you will have limited time for homework, I will allow you half an hour of class time to work on it. Begin now."

He watched as the boy worked, noting when Draco winced as he gripped his quill and began writing notes.

"Hold out your hands," Severus abruptly ordered.

Draco glanced at him, unsure again, before obeying.

Severus quickly performed a simple healing charm and the blisters on the boy's fingers vanished. Draco's eyes widened, as if he were surprised at Severus' consideration.

Then he ducked his head and mumbled, "Thank you, sir."

Severus inclined his head. "You are welcome. If you develop more blisters, come to me or to Norie or Zan. One of us will heal them for you."

"Thank you," Draco repeated quietly.

He dropped his head, returning to his notes, and Severus went to sit in a nearby chair, reviewing his notes on Charms until the half-hour was complete.

***

After dinner Harry and Severus went to Hogwarts, flooing to Dumbledore's office. They stepped out of the fireplace, first Severus and then Harry, into the warm cozy room. Fawkes was perched on his bronze stand by the headmaster's desk and Dumbledore himself, in bright emerald robes today, was standing nearby. Two other people were there also, and they immediately threw themselves at Harry as soon as he had stepped into the room.

Harry's face lit up in a huge grin as he recognized them. "Mione! Ron!"

Severus shook his head in bemusement as he watched the three teens greet one another as if they had been parted for years, but when they drew apart he smiled at them, realizing that he was no longer simply tolerating the other children for Harry's sake, but that somewhere along the way he had actually grown fond of them.

"Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley, it is good to see you again."

"Thank you, sir," they both chorused, and they smiled back at him.

"Harry, I am most pleased to see you as well," Dumbledore remarked. "Now, if you three young people would like to go into my sitting room, I'll have a tray of scones and cocoa sent up. You may talk freely and Severus and I can get to work."

So Harry, Ron, and Hermione went to the small adjoining room and seated themselves on the sofa and chairs. Sure enough, a silver tray appeared on the table, bearing three steaming cups of cocoa and honey and jam scones.

"Harry, have you been all right?" Hermione asked anxiously. "We've been worried about you."

Harry nodded. "It's okay, guys. You don't have to worry. I'm at home. I'm fine, just as long as I don't have see people."

Ron scowled, his open cheerful face uncharacteristically angry. "What about Malfoy? He's keeping away from you, isn't he? He'd better if he knows what's good for him."

Harry hesitated and Ron immediately noticed. "What? Has he done anything else to you? Harry, if you don't send that slimy little git away now..."

"Ron, stop. Just listen." So Harry told them about how Draco had shown up in his room Sunday morning, but that he and Severus believed that it had been a misunderstanding.

"I'm not so sure," Ron muttered darkly.

"He's stayed from me since then and if he doesn't, then I will send him away. And that's that," Harry replied. He took a sip of his cocoa and eyed his friends. He already knew the answer and he wasn't sure if he really wanted to talk about it, but for some reason he still felt compelled to ask.

"So, I guess everyone's been talking about...you know, the news?"

"Well, yeah, kind of," Hermione admitted.

Harry nodded glumly. "Yeah, I knew they would."

"Well, there's this news about you, and then both you and Professor Snape...and Malfoy...all disappear without a word. So yeah, people are sort of curious," Ron said.

"I bet," Harry agreed wryly. He had a suspicion that his friends were trying to play things down for his sake. But his slavery, and then the three of them disappearing, as Ron said, had to be the biggest news that had hit the school for some time. Probably causing more of a stir than even Voldemort's death had. Some of the students at school had been affected by the war, but for others, it had been more of a distant concern.

But everyone knew him, and Severus, and Draco Malfoy.

Hermione set her cup down and leaned towards him, laying her hand on top of his. "But Harry, most people are being really supportive of you. I mean, everyone's stunned and wants to know what happened, but most people are sympathetic. I haven't heard many of them being mean about it at all."

Ron nodded. "Yeah, just some of the Slytherins, and not even all of them. That Alec Morland and his mates came up to me today and he gave me a letter to give to you."

Ron reached into the pocket of his robes and pulled out a rather crumpled envelope, handing it to Harry.

"And there's a letter from all the Gryffindors and some of the other people in the DA, too." Hermione reached into her pocket and took out a much neater crisp envelope.

Harry opened the one from his housemates and the DA first.

Dear Harry,

We just wanted to tell you that we all miss you and wish you would come back to Hogwarts. We're like a big family and it's not the same without you. We don't care about that spell or anything, and you can count on all of us to stick with you. Just think about it, all right?

Your friends,

And then there were about fifty signatures attached, all of Gryffindor House and the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws who had been members of Dumbledore's Army.

Harry just stared at the parchment for a long time, before silently folding it, slipping the letter back inside its envelope, and tucking it away in his jeans pocket. He thought that when he returned home he would put it inside his photo album and keep it forever. He had spent too many years lonely and friendless not to treasure such a show of support.

"Harry, you will think about coming back, won't you?" Hermione asked in a soft voice.

It was difficult for Harry to speak, but he finally managed to clear his throat and answer.

"Not now, Hermione. I just can't. But maybe one day."

Hermione looked as if she wanted to push the issue, but instead she just took a deep breath and nodded.

Harry turned his attention to the other letter, the one from Alec Morland.

Hi, Harry,

Your friend Ron Weasley said he would give this letter to you, so I hope you get it. I guess the news, about you being a slave and all, is true since you and Professor Snape have left. I wish you hadn't gone though. It doesn't make any difference to me, or to a lot of people.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all that you did to help me, and that I remember what I said when you stopped Crabbe and Goyle from beating up on me...you know, about how I would always try to help people, too, if I could. So if you come back, I'll be on your side, too.

Thanks again,

Alec

P.S. Please tell Professor Snape that we all miss him too. Sinistra is taking over as Head of Slytherin now, and she's nice enough, but she's not as good as Professor Snape.

Harry smiled a little as he put Alec's letter away. He decided that he would save it too.

"So tell me what you did in class today," he said. "Dad was showing me some of the early spells for becoming an Animagus. He isn't one, but he said that he could teach me some of the early steps and that would be enough to see if I have the potential. If I do, he said he'd ask McGonagall to work with me in private. I don't think I do, though. None of the spells we did today caused any changes."

"Wouldn't that be great though?" Ron asked as he selected his third scone. "If we could be Animagi, like your dad and his friends?" He frowned, "I mean, your real dad...not that Professor Snape isn't your real dad too, I mean..."

"I know what you mean. My other dad," Harry assured him. He shrugged. "It'd be useful for being an Auror, but I just don't think I'm an animagus. Maybe you will be."

"Well, we're not beginning Animagus studies for another month," Hermione said. "We began transfiguring our hair to different colours today." She smiled. "You should have seen Lavendar and Parvati. I think it was the best time they've ever had in Transfiguration."

Suddenly Ron sat up straight. "Oh, we're about to forget the most important thing! Harry, my parents, and the Grangers, and Neville's gran, all sent letters today saying that we can go to Prince Hall on the weekends. Luna hasn't heard from her dad yet. She said he's probably busy writing about the Wrackspurt conspiracy, whatever that is, but if she doesn't hear from him soon she's going to firecall him."

"So you'll able to come Saturday? Awesome!" Harry exclaimed.

They continued talking about their studies and making plans for the weekend until Severus called that it was time to leave and Dumbledore said that Ron and Hermione needed to Floo back to Gryffindor Tower before curfew.

***

That set the pattern for the rest of the week. Every day was full and busy. Harry had his lessons with Severus in the morning, and then studied his texts and worked on homework assignments after lunch while Severus tutored Draco. He usually finished by mid-afternoon and then read or flew by himself since his father was either working with Draco or preparing their lessons. They did have tea together, and dinner, and then went to Hogwarts for a couple hours where Severus and Dumbledore were slowly working their way through the tremendous pile of materials that historians and archivists around the world had sent to the headmaster.

Harry enjoyed seeing his friends during the evenings. Ron and Hermione came every night, and Ginny, Neville, and Luna came sometimes too. They chatted and ate snacks in Dumbledore's small sitting room, and then Harry and Severus returned to Prince Hall and retired to bed soon afterwards. Harry saw glimpses of Draco now and then throughout the week as the other boy worked about the manor or headed to the library for his tutoring sessions, but neither of them spoke or acknowledged the other's presence, and Harry determinedly ignored him and went about his business.

Harry's friends, including Luna whose father had finally contacted Dumbledore giving permission for her to visit as well, Flooed to Prince Hall soon after breakfast on Saturday morning. They came through the parlour fireplace one by one.

Severus stood beside Harry and greeted them all politely. "Good morning. Thank you all for coming. Harry, have fun with your friends and if you should need anything, I will be brewing in the lab."

He nodded to them again and swept away.

Harry grinned at the others. "Yeah, thanks for coming. I'm really glad you were all able to."

"You know we wanted to come," Hermione replied while Ron said, "Sure thing, mate," and Neville and the other two girls also murmured assent.

They all just stood there for a moment.

"So what do you want to do?" Harry asked.

Ginny, Neville, and Luna had never been to Prince Hall before, of course, and Hermione suggested that Harry show them about first of all before they did anything else. So Harry led them around Prince Hall, inside and out, while the three newcomers gazed about in awe.

While they were walking through the gardens they spied Draco working a short distance away. He had finally finished putting down the new mulch and was now busy pruning some shrubbery.

Neville shook his head. "I can't believe it...Malfoy actually doing some work. Harry, you ought to get a photograph. I bet you could sell it for a lot of money."

"Forget money. You ought to frame it and hang it in a place of honor in your room," Ginny giggled. "Any time you felt down about something, you could just go look at the photo and it would cheer you right up."

"Let's go give him a hard time," Ron suggested, with a glint in his eye.

Harry frowned at him. He knew that normally Ron would never bully anyone or kick them while they were down, but right now his friend was particularly angry with Draco, mostly for Harry's own sake. And there had always been bad blood between the two, almost as much as between Harry and Draco, and the blond boy had certainly always sneered at the Weasleys for being poor. Harry couldn't really blame Ron for wanting to get back at Draco now that he had a chance.

But he couldn't help but remember himself at the Dursleys and he wasn't going to play Dudley's role, or allow his friends to either.

So Harry shook his head and said firmly, "No, leave him alone. He's not bothering us. Come on, I bet we can find enough extra brooms for everyone to fly, and then we can pack a picnic lunch and eat out on the moor."

Neville was quick to agree with him. "Sounds good. Let's go."

So they left the gardens and headed back up to the manor house to round up brooms. Harry didn't look behind, but if he had, he would have seen that Draco paused in his work and stared after him for several long moments, his silver eyes troubled and uncertain.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!