Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's chapter 66. I really wanted to post it earlier, but got caught up with real life stuff. But better late than never, right? Hope you'll enjoy it!
Chapter 66

"I believe you asked to speak with me?" Severus arched his eyebrow at Ron Weasley as the boy joined them in the hall and Albus closed the door to the Defense classroom.

He had to give Ron credit for Gryffindor courage. The boy met his eyes and nodded calmly. "Yes, sir. Thanks for seeing me."

Albus spoke, "I'm sure the two of you would appreciate some privacy so I'll be on my way. In any case, I'm teaching a NEWT level Potions class later today and I ought to look over my plans." He nodded to them and swept away with a swirl of his violet robes.

As he looked down at Ron, Severus realized that he wasn't entirely sure how to refer to the boy. Somehow he had grown accustomed to calling his son's friends by their given names when they visited with Harry. And of course he always called students' by their surnames when he taught them. But this situation seemed to be middle ground.

So he just didn't address Ron by name at all. "Shall we head down to my rooms?"

"Yes, sir."

They walked down to the dungeons in silence. As they passed by the Potions classroom where Professor Grubbly-Plank was instructing the third-years on how to brew a Shrinking Solution, Severus' footsteps slowed involuntarily and he glanced inside.

"They are supposed to skin the shrivelfigs," he muttered crossly under his breath. He was speaking to himself and was surprised when Ron spoke, also very softly.

"It's not the same without you and Harry here, sir. We all wish you'd come back."

"Myself as well? I never thought I would hear you say such a thing," Severus responded dryly.

"I never thought I would either," Ron promptly replied.

Severus' lips quirked and he had to stop himself from chuckling aloud. He tried to hide his amusement by shooting a dark look at Ron, but the boy didn't seem at all intimidated.

Severus sighed to himself. First Hermione and Longbottom were happy to see him and now this. He really had lost his touch.

Ah well, he had said he wanted to become a better person. He supposed he should consider these signs a mark of progress.

Further down the corridor they came to the door leading to Severus' quarters. And Harry's quarters, too, Severus reminded himself with a smile.

He held out his wand to the door, quickly tapping a complex pattern, and murmured, "Asphodel".

The door silently swung open and Severus led the way in.

He lit the parlour with a quickly muttered lumos and then paused to look about. Everything was as it had been when he and Harry had left over a month ago. The tall bookcase along one wall was empty as Severus had packed the books and taken them back to Prince Hall, but that was the only difference. The sofa and armchairs, the paintings and mirror, and the vase of Floo powder on the mantel were all in place and there was no trace of dust or cobwebs. Obviously the Hogwarts' elves were taking excellent care of things.

He realized that Ron was speaking.

"Are you sure you want me to know your password, sir?"

"Actually, you could scream ‘asphodel' at the door and it wouldn't admit you unless you also know the correct pattern with your wand," Severus replied. "But as a matter of fact, I do consider you trustworthy, Ron. I believe you know that by now."

Ron flushed and looked down at the floor. "Thank you, sir."

Severus nodded and motioned for him to sit in one of the armchairs. "Would you care for tea before we begin?"

"Um, sure. Thanks."

So Severus ordered a pot of tea and two cups before taking a seat himself in the other chair. Almost at once a silver teapot, two cups, and tiny containers of sugar and cream appeared on a small round table between them. Severus poured himself a cup and indicated that Ron should do the same.

After a few sips Severus focused on the boy and spoke. "Well? You did ask to speak with me?"

Ron nodded and set his cup down. "Yes, sir. I did."

But he didn't seem to know how to begin. His composure faltered as he grimaced and bit his lip, then reached for his cup and took another sip of tea while Severus struggled to remain patient.

Finally he took pity on Ron and decided to help him out. "Harry said that the two of you had had words because he and Draco are learning to get along."

It was the opening that Ron needed.

He nodded. "Yes, sir, but I didn't mean to upset Harry. I really didn't. But I couldn't just sit back and act like everything was fine. I don't want Harry to get hurt again."

"You doubt that Draco has truly changed," Severus remarked. It was a statement, not a question.

Ron lifted his chin. "How could I not doubt it, sir? Malfoy has always hated Harry, right from the start. You know that. And besides all of that...well, look at what he's done just lately. He enslaved Harry and then he told everyone."

"You are correct, Ron," Severus agreed. "And I don't blame you for your suspicions. Indeed, you wouldn't be a good friend if you weren't concerned for Harry's welfare."

Severus' understanding seemed to flummox Ron, but only for a moment.

He pulled himself together and said quietly, "I haven't always been a good friend to Harry, but I don't ever want to let him down again. That's why I have to watch out for him now, even if he doesn't understand."

"I think he understands," Severus told him.

"I hope so." Ron leaned forward slightly. "That's why I asked to speak with you, Professor. I'm not there to see what's going on and to watch out for Harry, but you are. And you know Malfoy better than any of us. Is he really changing? Or do you think he would hurt Harry again?"

"Yes, I do believe Draco is changing for the better and no, I don't believe that he would hurt Harry again," Severus answered seriously. "Although he has not said so in words, I think Draco feels great remorse for the harm he has done to Harry."

"But how can you tell?" Ron wanted to know.

It occurred to Severus that at one time he would have considered the boy's questioning rude and presumptious, and would have been infuriated. But now he knew that Ron was simply very concerned and protective of Harry. His son's friends loved him a great deal, even enough to risk Severus' ire. Rather than angering him, Severus found himself warming to the boy. After all, how could he be angry with someone for loving his son so much?

"Because, as you said, I know Draco," he answered. "I can see that he is learning to empathize and have compassion for others. He and Harry are getting to know one another, and Harry is a very easy person to like. There have been several incidents..."

But here Severus broke off and shook his head. "But I think you should talk with Harry and let him tell you the particulars."

Ron still looked uncertain so Severus added, "Ron, you came to me because you trust that I have Harry's best interests at heart and that I am in a position to judge the situation with Draco. So trust me when I say that I do believe Draco is sincere."

Ron sighed. "I guess I have to. Um, no offense, sir."

Severus hesitated but then he gathered his courage and admitted. "Ron, I have failed Harry, too, in the past. I never want to let him down again. I am watching over him as closely as I can."

"Yes, sir, I know. I just don't want anything else to happen. Harry's been through enough," Ron said.

"Yes," Severus agreed quietly. They were silent for a few minutes; then Severus cleared his throat and spoke more briskly.

"Your wisest course of action is to apologize to Harry for upsetting him and then let him explain to you why he has decided to give Draco another chance."

"Yeah." An expression of pain and guilt crossed Ron's face. "I really blew it with Harry. I couldn't blame him if he never forgave me."

"I'm sure he will," Severus replied. "Harry is very forgiving, as we both know."

"Too forgiving sometimes," Ron muttered.

"Well, then, it's a good thing that he has us to look out for him." Severus raised his eyebrow.

Ron looked over and then gave him a conspiratorial grin. "Yeah, it is. Thanks for meeting with me, sir, and for listening."

"You're welcome."

They finished their tea in a companionable silence and placed the empty cups back on the platter, which disappeared within a few seconds.

"I suppose I ought to head back to class," Ron remarked.

Severus simply nodded.

Ron stood and picked up his school bag. He walked over to the door but then paused and looked back. "Sir? Will you and Harry come back to Hogwarts this evening?"

"Most likely."

"Okay, I guess I'll see Harry then."

"Good luck." Severus surprised himself by saying that.

Ron grinned at him again and then he was gone.

Severus just sat looking around at the empty room for awhile, memories playing through his mind, before he walked over to the fireplace and Flooed back to Prince Hall.

Harry was already in Dumbledore's sitting room, seated on a small sofa, when Ron and Hermione came in that evening after dinner. Three cups of cocoa and a plate of scones sat on a side table as usual, but Harry was still full from dinner and had not touched them.

Ron and Hermione came from Dumbledore's office and stood uncertainly in the doorway, watching him.

Harry felt a little guilty for running out on them yesterday, even though Ron had been wrong to bring up the slavery spell...how the hell did he think Harry could have forgotten such a thing?

Maybe he should have stayed and tried to work things out. But then as upset as he and Ron had both been, they probably would have just argued more and made things worse. Harry wasn't sure what he should have done actually.

But Severus had told him about his conversation with Ron earlier and Harry couldn't be upset anymore. Ron hadn't meant to hurt him, he knew that, and his friends really were just concerned and protective of him...because they loved him. And that meant a lot.

So he stood and gave them a tentative smile. "Hi, guys."

Hermione beamed and came over to hug him, but Ron stayed in the doorway, still looking awkward and unsure.

He swallowed hard before saying, "Harry, I guess I shouldn't have said that, you know, about...well, you know..."

"The slavery spell," Harry said for him, ignoring the pang in his heart.

"Yeah, but I didn't mean to. I was just...I was worried about you, okay?" Ron burst out. "I still am, but I don't want us to fight over Malfoy," he finished more quietly.

Harry sighed. "Me either."

"So we're still mates?" Ron asked, looking at him intently.

Harry walked close and gave him a light punch on the shoulder. "What kind of stupid question is that? Of course we're still mates, for life and longer, right?"

Ron grinned as Harry quoted the old vow that the three of them had made back during first year. "For life and longer," he repeated.

He slung an arm around Harry's neck and they slapped each other on the back.

"Well, I'm glad you've both gotten your heads back on straight," Hermione remarked from her perch on the sofa.

Ron made a face at her as he and Harry stepped apart. Then he caught sight of the tray.

"Oh, scones!" He exclaimed, as if they didn't have a treat every evening and hurried over to fill a plate before taking a seat in a chair by the fireplace.

"All right, Harry, tell us more about Malfoy," he said around a mouthful of food. "You can't expect us to accept this without knowing what's going on over at Prince Hall."

So Harry went to the other chair and sat, propping his feet on an ottoman, and began telling Ron and Hermione the details of his past few experiences with Draco.

Harry surveyed the chessboard thoughtfully before moving his piece. Then he looked over at Draco, grinning. "Checkmate!"

Draco's smirk vanished as he stared at the board. His white knight shook his sword in impotent fury and the queen spun away, turning up her nose at the Slytherin boy.

"But...that's not...." Draco shook his head and gave Harry a wry look. "You're better at this than I expected. Are you sure you're a Gryffindor?"

"Pretty sure, yeah, and what's that got to do with it?" Harry responded.

Draco shrugged. "Just that Gryffindors aren't exactly known for strategic thinking."

"Watch it or I'll mention to Dad that the flower beds need weeding again. How's that for strategic thinking? Besides, Ron's as Gryffindor as they come and he's a genius at chess."

"Weasley?" Draco demanded incredulously.

"Play a match with him if you don't believe me," Harry told him. "And speaking of Ron, he and Hermione should be here by now."

It was a rainy Saturday afternoon and Harry and Draco had been playing chess in the library. Usually Ron and Hermione had already arrived for their weekend visit by now, but they had explained that they would be late this particular Saturday. They had a project due in Transfiguration on Monday and needed to work on it for a bit before coming to Prince Hall.

But they had said they would come after lunch and it was almost mid-afternoon now.

"Well, I was going to suggest a game of Exploding Snap, but if Weasley and Granger are coming...." Draco's voice dripped with disdain as he mentioned Harry's other friends.

"Ron and Hermione like Exploding Snap too," Harry said peaceably.

"As if they..." Draco began in a scathing tone, but just then, as if on cue, Severus walked into the library with Ron and Hermione behind him.

"Mione, Ron!" Harry jumped up from the table and hurried over to greet his friends.

"Harry!"

The three of them hugged and began chattering.

Severus shook his head at them, his expression a mixture of fond exasperation and indulgence. Then he looked over at Draco, who was scowling at the trio of friends.

"Draco, I need some assistance in the lab. Please come help me prepare ingredients for the potions we'll be brewing next week."

Draco's eyes flicked to Severus and he started to speak, but then he looked back at Harry, Ron, and Hermione and closed his mouth. He gave a curt nod and followed Severus out of the room.

He glanced at Harry as he left, a glance that was almost wistful and lonely, but Ron and Hermione were talking about how Dumbledore had agreed to have another Yule Ball before Christmas holidays.

Harry didn't even notice that Draco had gone.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all again! I'm a little behind schedule with posting, but better late than never, right? Thanks for reading!