Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you'll enjoy the chapter.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement, Kim, Dawn, and Brandy!
Chapter 69

Harry spent the next few days debating with himself over the prospect of going to the Yule Ball. He wanted to go, but yet he couldn't seem to actually commit himself to it. The idea of returning to Hogwarts was at once both enticing and frightening. Even though he knew he would be disguised by polyjuice, the thought of facing people, with everyone knowing that he was a slave, made his stomach churn.

But he did want to go. As much as he loved Prince Hall, it would be nice to get out for a while, to be around other people. The Yule Ball would be a fun experience to share with his friends, and though he didn't like to admit it, even to himself, there were times when he was just a little bit lonely, staying home all the time.

Harry brought the subject up with Remus one day the next week, when they had finished lessons a little early and were waiting for Draco to arrive for his session. He wasn't sure why. He and Remus did not talk much about personal matters. Their conversations were mostly about schoolwork and if they did touch on other things, it was usually about minor inconsequential concerns.

Harry had a feeling that all the deep personal issues were lying just under their surface conversation, and a few times he was almost tempted to mention one...to ask why Remus had always disappeared during the times that Harry had needed him the most, or to ask him to tell stories about James and Lily, for Remus was one of the few people left who could.

But he never did. He still felt that Sirius' death hung between them, even though Remus had never blamed Harry, and coward that he was, he couldn't deal with the pain of remembering Sirius.

Sometimes Harry thought that Remus was on the verge of mentioning something too, perhaps asking about the slavery spell and how Severus and Harry had gone from being arch-enemies to father and son. But then Remus always shied away from the more intimate issues, too.

But Tuesday morning, as they sat at a table before the blazing fire while a dreary rain fell outside, Harry gave Remus a sidelong glance and decided that the Yule Ball was a safe enough topic to mention.

When he brought it up, Remus nodded enthusiastically. "I think you should go, Harry. I'm sure most of the students would support you."

"That's what Dad says, too," Harry smiled wryly, thinking to himself how funny it was for Severus and Remus to agree on something. "But if I go, I'm going to take polyjuice. I don't want anybody to know it's me, except for Ron and Hermione."

"And maybe a few others," he added after a moment. It would be all right for Ginny, Neville, and Luna to know.

Remus hesitated before leaning closer and saying, "Harry, you know there's no reason for you to be ashamed. You've done nothing wrong."

Harry sighed. "I know I haven't done anything wrong, but it's still just..." He broke off and shook his head. "I'm tired of people always staring and talking about me."

"Yes, I can understand that," Remus said slowly.

And he probably could. Remus' werewolf condition was...well, not slavery, but he too was bound by circumstances that he could not help or change. He too must have had to put up with others judging him and gossiping about him. Though the Wolfsbane potion had recently made things much better, Remus had suffered for many years, as much or more than Harry had, probably.

Harry was wondering how to convey his empathy and compassion, and if he dared to bridge that divide between them to do so, when the Floo roared to life and Draco stepped out of the green flames, holding a large book in one hand.

"Hi, Harry. Good morning, Remus. Here's that book I was telling you about." Draco came to the table and laid the book down, flipping through pages of full-colour photographs of famous sculptures and paintings.

He chattered on animatedly, pausing now and then to point out particular pictures. "I adore Da Vinci's Mona Lisa and of course all of Michelangelo's work, but I think Giotto's contributions to the Renaissance can't be overemphasized. There's such a luminous quality to his paintings."

For just a few seconds, Harry was slightly annoyed at the interruption, but he recognized at once that that wasn't fair. It was time for Draco's lessons and it was...well, almost endearing to see him more cheerful and excited.

He didn't realize he was smiling until Draco glanced at him and said, "What?"

"Nothing," Harry answered. "I just didn't know that you liked art."

"Oh, yes," Draco nodded. "Of course I never knew much about Muggle art until a few weeks ago. Severus told me to read this book about the Muggle Renaissance and it's been fascinating. I'd love to go back to Italy one day and see some of these in person."

"I think you'd be interested in studying some of the artists of the Dutch Golden Age as well, such as Rembrandt and Vermeer," Remus commented. "I have a book on that too, at Dora's flat. I'll bring it for you tomorrow."

Draco actually beamed at him. "Thank you."

Watching them, Harry felt a quick stab of painful jealousy. Remus was supposed to be his friend. Why was he so determined to keep Harry at arm's length, but was opening up to Draco? And why hadn't he ever talked with Harry about art, or any other interests, for that matter? Did Remus just assume that Harry wouldn't be interested?

Harry gave a mental sigh and tried to smother his hurt feelings. Remus and Draco were supposed to be growing closer, after all. It was one of the reasons why Remus had begun tutoring them. He and Draco were going to be a family, once Remus and Dora Tonks were married, and Draco needed some supportive, caring adults. So if the two of them had discovered a common interest and were becoming comfortable with one another, that was a good thing. Harry shouldn't be upset by it.

Besides, he had his own father who loved him dearly and would do anything for him.

Thinking of Severus was comforting, but it also reminded Harry that he needed to head back to Prince Hall. He still had Defense and Potions to study and his father would be waiting for him.

"I guess I need to go." He quickly stuffed his books and parchment back into his school bag and stood up.

"Yes, and we need to work on Charms. Draco, put the art book away. Perhaps we'll have time to look at it later," Remus commented. "I'll see you tomorrow, Harry, and I do think attending the Yule Ball is a good idea."

Draco gave Harry a sharp look. "You're going to the Yule Ball?"

Abruptly coming to a decision, Harry nodded. "Yes, but Dad's going to give me some polyjuice potion so no one knows it's me."

Draco hesitated, before slowly reaching out to lay a hand on Harry's arm. "Harry, most of the kids at Hogwarts really like you. It would be all right if you went as yourself."

Harry just shook his head. "No, that's not happening. I've gotta go. Dad'll be wondering why I'm late."

***

But Severus wasn't waiting impatiently in the library when Harry stepped from the fireplace. He was waiting impatiently in the parlour instead. An enormous dark green fir tree stood in the corner before one of the tall windows and several wooden boxes were stacked on the floor beside it.

"Dad, where are...?" Harry stopped in the parlour doorway, looking at his father in surprise. "What is this?"

"Our Christmas tree," Severus replied.

"Christmas tree?" Harry repeated blankly.

Severus arched an eyebrow at him. "Well, today is the first of December. I assumed you would like to decorate for the holidays."

"Well, yeah." Harry grinned at him and came into the room; thoughts of Remus, Draco, and even the Yule Ball temporarily vanished beneath a wave of happiness. "I just never thought about it, I guess. The students never did any of the decorating at Hogwarts and the Dursleys sure never let me help with any of that."

"I am not accustomed to it either," Severus admitted. "When I was a child at Prince Hall, the house elves took care of decorations, and as an adult, I've spent most of my Christmases at Hogwarts. Albus always invited all the staff to participate in holiday festivities, but I was never inclined to do so."

His expression softened as he looked at his son. "But this is our first Christmas together and I would like for it to be a special occasion. So perhaps we can begin our own traditions now."

Harry went to his father's side and leaned against him. "I'd like that."

Severus hugged him close for a moment before releasing him and indicating the boxes beside the tree. "I asked Norie and Zan to bring the decorations down from the attic. They're going to help with the rest of the house, but I thought you and I could work on the tree together."

"Now? Instead of lessons?" Harry asked.

Severus shrugged. "You're ahead in your schoolwork. I think it would be all right to skip lessons just this once."

"Awesome!" Harry exclaimed. "Let's get started then."

They opened the first box, lifted out a layer of soft, crinkly tissue paper, and carefully unwrapped delicate crystal and gold decorations. After a few minutes, Harry declared that they needed music so Severus summoned a wireless and found a station that played Christmas carols. Father and son began hanging ornaments on their tree to the soft strains of ‘Silent Night'.

They were almost finished two hours later when Draco returned to Prince Hall and came to stand in the doorway.

"Severus, I'm back. What are my chores for the afternoon?" Draco stopped as he saw them. "Oh, you've been decorating."

Harry noted the flat, faintly disappointed note in the other boy's voice and motioned for him to join them. "Come on in. We're just about to put the star on top."

Draco hesitated, looking a little uncertain but then he came to stand beside Harry as Severus gave a flick of his wand and a golden star floated to rest on the very top bough of the tree.

"What do you think? Is it on straight?" Severus asked, tilting his own head slightly as he studied the Christmas tree with an intense gaze that he normally reserved for particularly complex potions.

"It's perfect," Harry declared.

Draco nodded and said in a subdued tone. "It's straight. It looks really nice."

Harry glanced over at him. "There's still a lot of other stuff to do, you know. Dad, couldn't that be Draco's chores for today? Helping decorate?"

Draco's downcast expression became hopeful as he looked from Harry to Severus and back again.

Severus also looked from one boy to the other before settling his eyes on Harry, searchingly. Harry gave him a small nod. It was all right with him to include Draco. It didn't take anything away from his own relationship with Severus.

Severus smiled and rested a hand on each boy's shoulder. "I suppose so. We are relaxing the rules a bit for today. But I think I would like some lunch before we tackle the rest of the house."

So the three of them shared a quick lunch of soup, salad, and sandwiches and then set back to work...though in Harry's opinion, decorating Prince Hall was much too much fun to be considered work. Norie and Zan also joined in, and by tea time the manor house sparkled with lights and ornaments while boughs of evergreen lent a solemn touch.

Garlands of dark green leaves, tiny red berries, and white flowers adorned fireplace mantels and staircase balustrades. Pots of red and white poinsettias were clustered on the hearths and decorative evergreen boughs rested atop doorways like crowns. White candles stood proudly in gleaming silver candlestick holders and dainty crystal baubles were proudly displayed. As a final touch, Severus hung two wreaths with large golden and red patterned bows on the double front doors of polished walnut.

Harry arranged the wreaths' streamers to hang just so and then stepped back with a smile. "It's beautiful."

Severus and Draco were smiling too.

"It is," Severus agreed, then frowned slightly at his son. "Do come in out of the rain, Harry. You don't want to catch pneumonia again, do you?"

The rain that had begun in the morning had fallen in a steady drizzle all day and a chill wind blew across the moor, reminding them all that winter had arrived. Harry realized abruptly that he had stepped out of the welcoming shelter of the entrance and that he was indeed quickly becoming wet and cold.

They all hurried back inside and Severus closed the doors. Norie and Zan fussed over Harry, but it was Draco who took his wand (Severus had allowed him to use it to help with the decorations) and cast drying and warming charms.

Harry smiled at him. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Draco smiled back.

All five of them headed back to the parlour for tea, where they had little meat pies, scones, and hot cocoa rather than the traditional drink. Afterwards Norie and Zan left for their own rooms and Harry looked over to see Draco watching him with an odd, sorrowful gaze. But when the other boy saw that Harry had noticed, his expression immediately changed back to normal.

"Harry, Remus assigned me an essay in Transfiguration and I wondered if you could help me with something?"

Harry shrugged. "Well, Transfiguration's not my best subject, but yeah, sure, I'll help if I can." He glanced over at Severus. "Will you be all right, Dad?"

"Of course." Severus waved them away. "I need to check my stock of ingredients so I can work on that before dinner."

The boys climbed the stairs up to the top floor, but when they entered Draco's room, the blond boy flopped down on his bed and motioned for Harry to sit.

"What's the problem with the essay?" Harry asked as he came to perch on the bed.

"Oh, I don't need help with the essay. And no offense, but I've seen you in Transfiguration and you're right; it's not your best subject," Draco replied. "I just wanted to speak with you alone."

"Oh?"

Draco bit his lip. "I really wish you'd go to the Ball as yourself, Harry. Ninety percent of the kids would be on your side, and they'd stand up for you against the other ten percent."

"I'm taking polyjuice potion and that's final," Harry said firmly.

Draco looked at him unhappily. "But you can't just stay at Prince Hall forever, Harry. You shouldn't have to hide like this."

There was a long silence. Harry was trying to think of how to respond when Draco spoke again, his voice so low that Harry could scarcely hear him even though they were sitting side by side.

"I know it's all my fault. Harry...I'm so sorry. I'd give anything if I could take it all back. You're a really good person and you don't deserve this. It should be me instead." Draco's voice broke on the last word and he clamped his lips together tightly and looked away at the rain falling outside the window.

Now Harry really wasn't sure how to respond...not until he noticed that Draco's chin was wobbling and that he was blinking furiously. Somehow, even though being a slave was still very painful for Harry, knowing that Draco was truly remorseful healed something deep inside of him.

"I forgive you, Draco," he said softly.

He thought for a minute that Draco really was going to break down then, but after a moment, the other boy drew a ragged breath and seemed to pull himself together a bit.

"But you shouldn't," Draco said, his voice still rough with emotion. "You should hate me. I was rotten to you for years, even before...you know."

"I haven't hated you for a while now," Harry answered.

"Sometimes I almost wish you did," Draco whispered.

That hurt. "Really?" Harry asked quietly. "Because I'm kind of liking us being friends."

Draco turned to him. His silver eyes were still bright with tears, but they were hopeful now too. "Friends? Are we really friends then?"

Harry held out his hand. "Hi, I'm Harry Potter."

"What?" Draco asked in confusion.

"Well, when we first met at Hogwarts, I refused to shake hands with you, remember? Of course you were being a real prat at the time, too. But we're starting over, right?"

A smile spread across Draco's face. "Hi, I'm Draco Malfoy."

And he reached out and shook Harry's hand.

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for your kind encouragement and continued interest in SC. I hope you'll keep on reading and enjoying it.

And the Yule Ball will be in the next chapter! Now I'm all ready for Christmas and it's only September.