Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry & Sev track the Shifter through Manhattan, but nothing is ever easy for them.
Cat and Mouse

Times Square was crowded and filled with multitudes of people shopping or walking to their job or hailing a taxi. Harry had often thought London was congested, but it was nothing compared to New York City. Severus explained this was rush lunch hour, and it was the reason why there were so many people about on the street. Both wizards were dressed in ordinary Muggle clothing, Severus had transfigured his black cloak into a black overcoat and underneath it he was wearing black pants and a long-sleeved black shirt with the Dark Hunter crest on it, since no Muggle would ever recognize that symbol for what it truly was. He was wearing serviceable sneakers and the Blackstaff was spelled to look like an ordinary walking stick.

Harry already looked like an ordinary young man in his red T-shirt and brown coat and jeans, and though there was always the possibility that they might be recognized by a passerby, neither man bothered with disguising their appearance. They were the hunters, not the hunted, and their main concern was tracking the convict to his lair.

Severus consulted the map, making sure they were in the right section, just over the blinking red dot. Then he halted and drew what appeared to be a small silver comb from his pocket. He ran the comb through his hair several times.

Harry stared at him. "Uh, Severus? Why are you combing your hair now?"

Severus ignored him for a few more minutes, moving the silver comb slowly through his ebony locks. Then he removed the comb from his hair and said softly, "Don't worry, Harry. I'm not turning into Gilderoy Lockhart or going insane. That's not a comb, it just looks like one. It's a Hunter necromancer detector. I'm trying to get a fix on any dark aura or dark magic in the area."

"Oh," Harry said, feeling stupid. He ought to've known better than to assume that Snape was suddenly turning into a fashion plate. Snape always had a reason for his actions. "Did you pick up anything?"

"No. And if he performed any spells here, there would be a residue. Which means this was a red herring." He tucked the comb into his pocket. Then he began walking down the sidewalk, limping slightly. "Come on. It's just down this way."

"What is?" Harry frowned, trying to puzzle out the man's behavior. But he followed at Snape's heels.

They came to a short alleyway, one that was partially blocked by a large dumpster. Severus quickly ducked behind it, then grabbed Harry and said, "Now we can Apparate to Central Park from here. No one will see. But first we need to create some decoys."

"Right. I'll do the Galleons," said Harry and began creating copies of the hundred Galleons he had in his pack, which he'd withdrawn from his account earlier in the day. Severus had said that in order to make certain the Shifter took the bait, they'd have to mix in real coins with the replicas.

The Resurrection Stone was a bit harder, but Severus managed to create a very close facsimile of the famous stone Harry carried occasionally. To all appearances, it was the same as the original-a round white pebble with an iridescent sheen on it.

"Think this will work?" Harry queried. Their plan was to put out a decoy for the kidnapper, and then hide nearby to see who came to pick up the stuff. Then they could follow the person back to wherever they were holed up and then rescue Ginny.

"It should. I'm no novice when it comes to the Duplication Spell. Here," Severus held out the fake Resurrection Stone. "Tell me if you can spot the difference between this and the real stone."

Harry held it in his hand. It looked and felt exactly the way the original did. Then he closed his eyes and muttered a charm to detect magic and properties. The stone radiated the same magical aura as the original. "I can't tell the difference. Not with charms."

"Good. Then neither will the Shifter. Until he goes to use it the first time, that is." Severus said, pleased. "Are you finished?"

"Yes." Harry held up the sack with the one thousand Galleons, though only one hundred were real.

"Time to go for a walk in the park then, Mr. Potter," Severus told him, then Apparated away.

Harry was an instant behind him, locking onto the other wizard's signature and following him to their new destination.

Their arrival in Central Park went unnoticed, mostly because Severus had chosen a spot that was separated slightly from the main jogging paths and benches by a large stand of pretty flowering dogwood trees. As soon as Harry had appeared next to him, the Director said, "Now here's where we cultivate a Hunter's greatest asset, Harry."

"What's that? Capturing the slimy git?"

"No. Patience. Because he won't show himself until he's certain no one is watching."

Harry glanced about. "So we go plant the decoys and then hide somewhere? How do we avoid him finding us by our magical auras?"

"A masking spell, of course," Severus replied. "Didn't they teach you anything at the Auror Department?"

"Standard masking spells don't work on me, Severus," Harry whispered.

Severus frowned. "Naturally resistant, are you? Hmm. That's a bit of a problem, but not insurmountable. I'll just have to use a combination of a Chameleon Charm and Suppression Charm."

"You can combine two different spells like that?"

"Yes, and they're not all that different, Potter, since they're in the same family group-disguises." Severus shook his head, giving the younger wizard a disappointed look. "The Auror Department's grown lax if they've let you graduate without learning how to mask your aura properly. Or do you rely mostly on your terrifying reputation as the Slayer of Voldemort to catch suspects?"

"No, of course not. But I've never done undercover work like this before. All the criminals I've been sent to apprehend had charges against them and they were easy to find. I never really had to track anyone down like this."

"Humph! Moody's been spoon-feeding you then," Snape snorted. "I usually have my new operatives in the field tracking down suspects right after they've graduated the Academy. With a partner, mind, but they still gain experience. And no Hunter who graduates the Academy doesn't know how to mask his aura, naturally resistant or not."

"Hurray for you," Harry put in sarcastically, annoyed at the other man pointing out his shortcomings, even if he was right. "Sorry we can't all be brilliant like you, Severus."

"This isn't brilliance, it's common sense." Severus shook his head. "Enough, this isn't the time or the place to debate Hunter versus Auror methods." He drew his wand. "The Suppression Charm is one of the strongest masking charms I know, it'll hide you for good two days, make you appear as like a Muggle to a wizard's magical senses. It's not easy to cast, but you should be able to manage it, you've enough power. Pay attention now." Severus touched the tip of his ebony wand to Harry's chest and said, "Alterata Magica Aura!"

Immediately Harry felt as if a great weight was smothering him. He gasped, trying to breathe and found his lungs wouldn't expand, there was a tightening all over his body, something was constricting and squeezing his insides. He whimpered, wanting to howl, but his voice was being squished into a mere whisper. God, this bloody hurts!

Then the constricting sensation was gone and all that Harry felt was an odd sort of numbness, kind of like when you cut off your circulation with an elastic band. He gave a soft yelp, relieved to find that now his voice worked. Then he glared at the Director. "Merlin's bloody ghost, Severus! Why didn't you tell me this hurt like blazes?"

"Because then you'd have tensed up and the pain would've been worse. The Suppression Charm is meant to be unpleasant, it's normally used as a last resort, when a wizard has no other choice but to hide his talent. And now for the other," Severus twirled his wand and chanted the Chameleon Charm.

That spell didn't hurt at all, but it gave Harry the ability to blend into the background of anything he was standing next to, rendering him nearly invisible. "Can you sense me?" he asked when the spell was cast.

Severus narrowed his eyes, probing with his magical senses. "No. You register as a Muggle to my senses. I could walk right by you and never know you were a wizard."

"Good. I'm glad the damn spell worked, because if it didn't, I'd have been seriously PO'd at you for making me go through that, sir. That was not fun."

"Neither is life. Quit whining, Potter." Severus growled. Then he cast a lesser version of a masking spell on himself and a chameleon charm as well. "Now let's go and find that horseman statue and leave our sneaky guest his last requests."

Harry nearly smiled at the way Snape had phrased that last sentence, then he followed the Director down a small paved jogging trail.

Some ten minutes later they came in sight of a large bronze statue of a soldier on a horse which Severus said was meant to be George Washington, America's first President. They quickly left the bag of Galleons with the fake stone inside it at the base of the statue, casting a quick concealment charm upon it as they did so. Now no Muggle could see the bag and try and steal it.

Then Severus drew Harry back about ten feet to a large oak and indicated he was to sit under it. Harry obeyed concealing a sigh. Now came the part he hated most-waiting. Severus settled easily beside him, utterly relaxed and looking as if he was at home in his den, about to doze off.

Harry fought back an urge to squirm like a schoolboy forced to sit in time-out and glared at the statue. He found his hand twitching impatiently before Severus reached out and grabbed it.

"Stop that. You look like you're having an attack of St. Vitus's Dance."

"I hate this waiting around."

"You can't always go charging in with your wand drawn like in a movie, Harry. Now just relax and be still. He'll be along soon. And if not, we'll wait until he shows up."

"How long, all day?"

"If need be. Now hush and concentrate on deep breaths."

Harry so wanted to tell the other wizard where he could shove his breathing techniques, but he didn't dare. This was no time to quarrel with Snape. They had to work together to catch the Shifter. So he obeyed and began to inhale and exhale, deeply and slowly, allowing his mind to drift. It was rather pleasant, sitting here under the shade of the oak, listening to the birds and wind and the laughter of children and a vendor hawking his wares. Somewhere in the background, he heard someone humming.

It was the same tune he'd fallen asleep to last night. He allowed it to soothe his agitated spirit, until he was content to sit and wait, for as long as it took. He peeked at Severus, who was leaning against the trunk of the oak in a boneless sprawl, rather like a cat basking in the sun. And like the cat, Harry knew Severus could spring into action at a moment's notice.

The minutes seemed to creep past agonizingly, but Harry forced himself to cultivate that little-known virtue-patience. It was very hard, he was not used to sitting still staring at one spot for so long, but every time he would stir, Severus would give him one of his arctic glares that would freeze him on the spot.

But at last his patience was rewarded, when after an hour-and-a-half a shadowy figure slipped down the paved path between the two oak trees and stopped directly at the horseman statue. The figure was dressed in perfectly ordinary nondescript clothing, something you'd not give a second glance at. A pair of beige cargo pants, sneakers and a plain green shirt. A baseball cap was pulled low over his face, so Harry couldn't make out his features.

Harry started to lean forward, hands clenched into fists, trying to see what the man looked like, but Severus shoved him back against the tree, glaring furiously into his eyes. Don't move, blast it! You want to ruin the whole trap? Now be still and wait, Potter. We move on MY signal, and not a second before, got me?

Harry blinked. Yeah, but I just wanted to see what he looks like.

That's not half as important as what he does with the ransom. Just sit still and follow my lead, because if you ruin this chance by being your usual impulsive self, I'll beat you senseless.

Harry flushed, then subsided, knowing the other man was right to yell at him, but still resenting it. He forgets I'm not his student anymore, I can make sound decisions on my own. Well, mostly . . .Then he turned his attention back to the man in the green shirt, who was now kneeling by the base of the statue, feeling about in the dirt as if he'd dropped something.

Or at least that was what it would have looked like to a Muggle happening by. Harry and Severus could see what was actually happening, which was the man had removed the glamour over the bag and was now opening it.

The man gasped, then reached a hand inside the sack, coming out with a handful of shiny golden coins. His mouth twitched into a grin of pure pleasure. Then he felt about inside the bag once more. The fake stone was taken out and examined closely.

Harry held his breath. Would Severus's charm past muster?

Apparently so, for the man slipped the stone back inside the sack and smirked gleefully. "Good he took the bait. And now for my next proposition," the man hissed, withdrawing another square of parchment from his pocket. He placed it next to the bag and shoved a large rock over it. Then he rose to his feet.

For one instant, his face was turned towards Harry's hiding place.

Harry squinted, but all he could make out was a man in his mid-twenties, with curling brown hair and pasty features. He was no one Harry recognized. Harry felt his insides wither as he realized he didn't know his enemy's face. He'd been so sure the Shifter was one of his old schoolmates.

A large oblong pendant of gold and a huge carnelian cabochon swung at the man's neck, and Harry wondered if it had any magical properties.

Beside him, Snape stiffened, his jaw clenching. Blast and damn, but the bastard's got an Amulet of Shifting. That's how he's able to change his features so quickly and seamlessly. But where had he acquired one? Severus wondered. Amulets of Shifting were rare, they had been made by master wizards in the arts of illusion and Transfiguration centuries ago, and now no one remembered how to create one, the wizards who'd made them had not passed on their secret craft and it had died with them. The amulet could alter the features of a wearer to resemble any person he wished, and the glamour would hold for over a day. It was an almost foolproof disguise, and could only be penetrated by certain people, empaths mostly, or dragons, whose eyes were not fooled by spells of seeming. Severus had read about them but had never seen one until now. He would have appreciated it more if the amulet hadn't been worn by a known criminal.

He tensed as the Shifter rose, the sack with the fake money and the stone clutched to his chest. The man glanced about again, eyes darting back and forth furtively. His gaze passed over the oak tree where Harry and Snape were hiding, and he drew a wand from out of his sleeve and muttered a detection charm.

Harry felt his insides turn to water. Would the spell Snape cast fail, exposing them?

But no, he felt the Shifter's charm brush past him, like the fluttering of moth wings, and move on. He exhaled sharply.

Severus raised an eyebrow. Didn't believe my spell would hold, now did you, Harry? O ye of little faith. I've been casting this kind of spell for decades now, how else do you think I managed to spy on the Death Eaters? I wasn't present at all their little gatherings, not that they knew of anyhow. And the Shifter's use of a wand proves he was trained in Britain or Europe, not here.

The Shifter seemed to relax as his spell turned up no wizards lurking about. He tucked the wand back in his sleeve after casting a shrinking charm over the sack and shoving it in his pocket. Then he began to walk confidently down the jogging trail heading west from the park.

Severus waited a good two minutes before rising to his feet and allowing Harry to follow him as he trailed the Shifter.

Harry was practically foaming at the mouth, rather like a racehorse at the beginning of a race. He longed with all of his heart to rush after the other wizard and tackle him to the ground, then pound his face into a pulp. But Severus was shaking his head. Not yet. Harry ground his teeth together and cursed Snape and the Shifter to perdition. What was the blasted Director waiting for, Christmas?

Actually, Severus was waiting for the Shifter to get far enough away so he wouldn't sense Snape summoning his magic. He limped stiffly, leaning on the Blackstaff, for his left leg tended to stiffen after prolonged sitting in one position. He grabbed a hold of Harry's arm, not trusting his former student to remain beside him and not go haring off after the suspect.

The Shifter was about twenty yards ahead of them, walking quickly yet calmly through the knot of tourists up ahead. Satisfied the quarry was paying attention to the people and not what was behind him, Severus blurred into his Animagus form-a black peregrine falcon.

He shot skyward in a blur of ebony feathers, wanting to laugh at Harry's dumbfounded expression. Ha, Potter, I surprised you again. You thought my Animagus form was a bat or some other creature of the night, I'd wager. Another of your sad little fantasies about me shattered.

He rode an updraft until he was some hundred feet above the park, his falcon sight arrowing in on the Shifter, which he could spot without a problem even at that height. A falcon could home in on prey from over two hundred feet away, and Snape cruised leisurely along in the Shifter's wake.

Below him he could see Harry running swiftly after the figure, or trying to, but he kept getting blocked by various people walking along the sidewalk and cars and buses going by.

Harry could just about see the green shirt of his quarry fifty feet ahead of him and it was frustrating because he could have caught up to the other man by now if it weren't for the pedestrians clogging the sidewalk. He was forced to stop several times and often push past people rather rudely, earning him several angry looks and once or twice people snapped at him.

"Hey, buddy, watch where you're going!"

"Yeah, where's the fire?"

"You dumb jerk, you nearly ran me down."

"Young people these days, got no respect," shouted an elderly lady.

"Sorry. Excuse me. But I really need to catch up to a friend there," Harry said apologetically, gritting his teeth in frustration. What he really wanted say was Everybody, just move the hell out of my way! He cast a glance up into the sky and saw a black dot that he assumed was Snape circling overhead. I hope you can keep him in your sights, Severus, because all I can do is try and follow as best I can. The fact that Severus had a falcon Animagus really surprised him, but then again, when he thought about it, it made sense. The falcon was a bird of prey, it hunted alone mostly and was fiercely protective of its home and family, and it had an air of wildness and nobility about it. It was also a proud bird, and served no master lightly.

Harry wished he'd had time to discover if he had an Animagus form, but there had been precious little time to experiment back home and now with Ginny missing. . .any new spells were out of the question until he had her safe in his arms again. He dodged a commuter on a bicycle and a man in a wheelchair, and an elderly lady walking a large retriever and a Chihuahua on a leash.

Then he peered ahead of him, hoping to catch a glimpse of the dark green shirt the Shifter was wearing. He was so intent upon finding the renegade wizard that he failed to notice the large man in the ripped up jeans and black shirt with the words Don't Mess with Me-I Ride a Harley emblazoned across it coming towards him. He was bald and had a long handlebar mustache and a greying goatee.

Harry collided with him. He felt as if he'd slammed into a wall, the biker guy was that solidly built. He gasped and reached to push his teetering glasses back up his nose. "Uh, sorry, I didn't see you-"

"Whatsamatter with you, punk?" snarled the biker. "You blind or something?"

"No, I just . . ." didn't see you, Harry started to say, then realized that might not be smart and didn't finish his sentence. The man was twice his size and built like an elephant. He was even larger than Goyle, though not Hagrid. But he looked meaner than Fluffy, the three-headed dog.

"You talk funny, buddy. You ain't from here, are you?"

"No, now if you'll excuse me, I need to be going," Harry attempted to go around the other man. Where was the Shifter? He couldn't see him any more. The crowd had swallowed him up.

The biker put out a hand. "Not so fast. I don't like furrieners ‘round here. Too many of you cluttering up the streets, taking away jobs from decent folks." He fixed Harry with an evil glare.

"Fine!" Harry snapped, itching to take out his wand. "I'm leaving. Now get out of my way, won't you?"

"And if I don't?"

Harry glared up at him, furious. This overgrown slab of muscle had made him lose his suspect. "You'll wish you had, you loudmouthed horse's arse."

"Izzat so?" the biker leaned down and picked up Harry by the shirt, lifting him off the ground. "You need to learn some manners, you little runt." He smiled nastily at the younger man, whose green eyes were glittering angrily. Then he drew back one meaty fist, preparing to knock Harry's teeth out the other side of his head.

Harry's hand found his wand, but before he had a chance to use it, something black dove from the sky at two hundred miles an hour and slammed into the back of the man's shoulderblades.

"Umph! Oww!" the biker howled, knocked to his knees by the falcon's strike. He gasped for breath, for the wind had been knocked out of him.

Harry tore free of his grasp, the biker was too startled to maintain a firm hold.

"What the hell was that?" the larger man cried, staring up into the sky, where a black shape circled lazily. "A freakin' big ass bird?"

Harry shrugged then continued walking, leaving the biker to clamber to his feet, rubbing his sore back, where he'd have a huge bruise come morning. Several passersby started to murmur about the large black bird that had come out of nowhere and knocked the crap out of the leather-clad idiot. Thanks for the assist, Severus, Harry thought, and grinned. He'd never considered before what an asset it was to have the master wizard as an ally, especially when Snape was openly protecting him.

Harry muttered a few choice swear words under his breath as he continued down the sidewalk, hoping he was going in the right direction. There was no sign of the Shifter.

Overhead, Severus clicked his beak together in aggravation. If he hadn't stopped to see what had happened to Harry, he would have caught up to the Shifter by now. What is it with this kid? He wondered irritably. Can't he stay out of trouble at all? And why am I always the one to bloody rescue him? As it was, he now had to track him down. Luckily, his falcon eyes were trained to spot a moving target at a great distance, and he soon homed in on the renegade wizard.

The Shifter suddenly turned off the main sidewalk and headed down a smaller side street, one that was narrow and filled with overflowing garbage bins and junky cars lining both sides of the street. The renegade paused, glancing about furtively, then he slipped behind an abandoned Camaro and Apparated away with a loud pop.

Above, the midnight falcon shrieked in dismay.

Then the peregrine circled about and returned to find Harry, who was still making his way through the congested sidewalk.

The falcon quickly flew down to the ground, choosing a likely looking alley that intersected the main street. After making certain no Muggles were about, the falcon blurred into Severus Snape, who wore an extremely angry scowl on his face.

He quickly moved out of the alley and paused beside a shop selling video games, waiting for Harry to come by. Five minutes later he spotted the younger man, his shirt rumpled from where the biker had grabbed him, and Severus made his way towards him. Harry jumped when the Director laid a lean hand on his arm.

"What? Oh, it's you, Severus," Harry breathed a sigh of relief. "I thought maybe that oversized pudding had followed me. Did you find the Shifter?"

"I did, but he Apparated," Severus hissed in Harry's ear. "Can't you even walk down a sidewalk without causing a ruckus?"

"It wasn't my fault!" Harry protested. "I bumped into him and then apologized, but he wanted to pick a fight with me. By the way, thanks for the assist. That was wicked, the way you knocked him flat."

Severus shrugged. "Standard attack for a peregrine. That's how they hunt, you know. By stunning their prey and then killing it. I was simply obeying my instincts, Harry."

Harry hid a grin, for he knew Severus would never admit he was actually protecting the son of his rival. "Well, now what do we do? Can you locate him again?"

"Yes, if we use the map." Severus said quietly. "It should be able to home in on his magical aura."

"So, what are you waiting for?"

"A time and place free of watching eyes," Snape answered exasperatedly. "Even in the States, we don't let most Muggles see us using magic." He beckoned Harry onward.

"I never knew you were an Animagus. Like Sirius and my dad." Harry said, then wished he'd kept his mouth shut, for Snape frowned at the mention of his old schoolmates, who'd been his chief tormentors back when he was a student.

"I am, but there's no comparison between me and that mutt Black, or your arrogant father Prongs. I'm a registered Animagus with the AMA, not an illegal one."

All wizards who could change into an Animagus form had to register with the local wizard council, it was one way for the ruling body of wizards to keep a sharp eye on them and make sure they didn't abuse their power.

"What do you call yourself in your falcon form?"Harry wanted to know, choosing to let the insults to his godfather and his parent go.

Severus didn't answer for a moment, he was lost in thought, trying to predict where the Shifter would go next. Then he replied with a crooked smile, "As a falcon, you can call me Stryker. I think you can figure out why on your own."

Harry nodded. "Stryker. It's a strong name, I like it."

He followed Severus to an empty wrought iron bench nearby and sat down. Severus pulled out the map from his pocket and peered at it. The Director's lips were pursed and his dark eyes blazed with irritation. Then his expression changed.

"Merlin's Beard! I've found him again. Down near the ferry that goes to Ellis Island. Come on, before he Apparates away."

Severus summoned a fog with a snap of his fingers, allowing them to Apparate without any Muggles seeing them. But they only caught a glimpse of their elusive quarry before his features changed and he blinked away again. They played a tense game of cat and mouse all over Manhattan for over six hours, until they were exhausted and starving.

They decided to grab a bite to eat at a nearby deli and then retire to one of the many Hunter safe houses scattered about the city to rest. Severus assured Harry that they'd be able to pick up the Shifter's signature easily with the map tomorrow morning. The Auror was reluctant to give up the chase, but Severus convinced him that he'd have a better chance of victory if he was well rested and at full magical strength.

"I did n't expect to confront him just yet," Severus told Harry after they had reached a small flat near the docks, which was where the Shifter had Apparated to last, and were safely inside it, relaxing on the couch, sipping icy cold spring water and eating peanuts. "He's too cagy to force a confrontation at a first meeting. He was testing us today, seeing if we were as good as he was."

"He'll think he's lost us then."

"Let him. An opponent who thinks he's won lets his guard down. Then we'll surprise him." Severus said softly, his brown eyes glittering with eagerness.

Harry nodded, suddenly too tired to want to discuss the case any more. He finished off his glass of water, then bid Severus good night and went to bed. His dreams were unpleasant and he woke shivering in the predawn air. But despite a lingering tiredness behind his eyes, he felt like he was capable of anything. This is the day we capture the Shifter, Harry vowed.

They breakfasted on cereal then Severus drew out the map and they pinpointed the Shifter once more. Then, just as they were about to Apparate away to begin the hunt anew, Severus' spellophone rang.

He answered it, only to find a frantic Ari on the other end. Gavin had gone missing sometime early in the morning or late last night.