Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Gavin goes to help his friend, along with Scout, and discovers that loyalties change, to his sorrow.
Betrayal Most Bitter

Gavin knew that his grandparents would never allow him to go back to New York and see the Ravens, even if it was for a good cause. They would tell him to simply send Slick the antidote via owl and let him give it to Smoke. But Gavin didn't feel comfortable doing that. The Ravens had once been his family, and Smoke had been sort of an older brother to him. Besides, he wanted to see them all again, just once more, and then they would part. What could it hurt, helping out an old friend? And this way he could question Slick and maybe discover where Smoke had gotten the midnight mushroom powder. Slick would hardly reveal that kind of information in a letter, it just wasn't his way.

Which meant he would have to sneak out of the house when his grandparents were sleeping and travel by Floo to the Magic Metro, which was the quickest way for a wizard to commute to the city if there wasn't a convenient fireplace handy at their destination. Gavin quickly found a train schedule in Leo's desk and pocketed it. He had about twelve Galleons to his name, hopefully that would be enough for a ticket to and from New York.

He bit his lip, wondering if he should leave some kind of note, he felt bad about deceiving his grandparents. Still, what choice did he have? From the sound of things, Smoke might be dying. He quickly penned a reply to Slick to let him know he'd gotten the letter and was able to figure out a cure for Smoke. Then he sent the letter off with Nightfall. At least the Ravens would be expecting him now.

He tucked the elixir in a small backpack along with a bottle of water and a few cookies. Ari made the best oatmeal cookies. With luck he'd be back before morning and neither Ari or Leo would ever know he'd been gone. And if not . . .well, it wouldn't be the first time he'd been in trouble. He sighed. If Severus ever learned of his escapade, he'd have his broom confiscated in a heartbeat. Not something he wanted to happen. But he had to help Smoke, he owed the other boy for taking him in two years ago and providing him with shelter and food and a camaraderie he'd never known.

Ravens stick together.

And he'd been a Raven once.

He tucked the letter from Slick inside his jacket pocket and then stuck a small switchblade inside his sneaker. He'd never used it, but he always felt a little safer when he went armed, especially in the area he would be traveling in. Currently, the Ravens weren't at war with any of the neighboring gangs, not even the Purple Crushers, who were sworn enemies of Slick, since he'd defected from them to run with the Ravens long ago. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Scout lifted his head from the rug beside Gavin's bed, he'd come inside just ten minutes before and padded up to the boy's bedroom. The magehound's brilliant blue eyes met the apprentice's steadily, and Gavin could have sworn the dog had a look of disapproval in them, almost as if Scout knew what he was planning.

Gavin sighed and bent to scratch the hound's silken ears. "Don't look at me like that, Scout. I know I'm breaking every rule in the book and Sev's gonna kick my ass for it, but what choice have I got? My buddy might be dying and nobody gives a damn ‘cept me and the Ravens. I gotta help him. I got sick real bad once when I ran with them, some kind of fever and Smoke, he broke into a pharmacy and got me some antibiotics and Tylenol and stuff. He saved my life. If the cops had ever caught him . . .he'd of gotten five to ten for sure, since he's got priors, but he didn't give a crap. He just did what he had to and I owe him. Now it's my turn to help him if I can. Know what I mean?"

Scout whined and licked the boy's hand.

"Sure wish Severus was as understanding as you, buddy. Man, if he ever finds out . . .my ass is grass and he's the lawn mower. Well, if I move quick enough, no one will ever know, right?" Gavin checked his watch. He still had three hours left before his grandparents went to bed. He decided to go to sleep for a bit, he was never his best when he was tired.

His dreams were very unpleasant, in nearly all of them he arrived at the Raven's hideout to find Smoke already dead or dying. He would be kneeling beside his stricken friend, trying desperately to give him the antidote, only to realize it was too late and the Angel of Death had already summoned Smoke to the Other Side. And in the background a voice that sounded suspiciously like Ferrous's taunted him, "Always knew you'd never amount to anything, worthless freak! Can't even save your friend from dying hideously by one of your freak magical creations. Some wizard you are! Useless, dumb, devil's spawn, as I've always told you."

When he awoke at last, drenched in sweat and trembling from head to foot, his stomach in knots and tears trickling out of the corners of his eyes, he buried his face in his pillow and wished Severus were there to comfort him. God, how he needed his father right now! Needed the older man's shoulder and his soothing voice, and the matter-of-fact calmness he always radiated, even when Gavin was an emotional hurricane and his magic was going haywire. It was a mystery to the child how his father managed to remain in control during those episodes, nothing seemed to ruffle Severus's composure. (Little did he know that Severus's control had been developed over many years of witnessing atrocities when he was a spy, and it was only that iron discipline that allowed the master wizard to endure his son's anguish without breaking down himself. Gavin would never know of the hours Severus spent afterwards sipping Calming Drafts and weeping silently at the hell the youngster had endured, the hell that mirrored his own dreadful childhood.) All Gavin knew was that he needed Severus but he wasn't there, and so he made an attempt to get himself back under control before his magic roused and caused something bad to happen.

He practiced the slow counted breaths that both Arista and Severus had shown him, calming his racing heart and breathing until he was not gasping like a terrified cat chased by a pack of ravenous mongrels. When he'd calmed somewhat, he sat up and dashed a hand across his eyes, scrubbing the tears away.

Suddenly a great golden head appeared in his vision, and Scout began to lick Gavin's face thoroughly. The child sputtered, but made no attempt to push the dog away. Instead he threw his arms about the magehound's neck and hugged the dog to him. Scout was not Severus, but he would do for a stand-in.

The big dog heaved his front end up on the bed, whining in concern, his tail wagging gently, still covering the boy with kisses. He could sense the child's fear and anxiety and sought the best way he knew to make the child feel better, which was by snuggling and licking. You're not alone. I'm here. Right here, little puppy.

"Yeah, I know," Gavin muttered, then nearly fell off the bed. "Hey, did you just call me little puppy? I didn't know you could talk!"

Scout shook his head, and the blue eyes twinkled. Of course I can talk, silly pup. It's you humans who can't speak properly. Or listen properly. Except a few of you, like Ari Amarotti or yourself, Gavin Albus Snape.

"You remember my full name, Scout?" Gavin repeated, amazed that the dog could recall something like that, since hardly anyone ever used his full name. Even Severus rarely called him that, unless he was in deadly serious trouble.

And why shouldn't I, since it's your name? Scout whuffed. Your father named you well, pup.

"Can Sev hear you like this too?"

The magehound shook his head, making his floppy ears dance. No. Talented as he is, Severus cannot hear me. He lacks the gift of Animal Speech. It's a rare gift, young one, and you should be honored you have it. With it, you can seek advice from any bird, beast, or reptile and they can help you if they are minded to.

Gavin grinned. "Totally awesome! Does this mean that animals have to obey me too?"

Scout flattened his ears and his lip curled in disapproval. No. Your gift is to understand and speak with animals, not be our lord and master. You can command us but we are not bound to obey.

"You obey Severus when he tells you something."

That is different. He is my alpha, and Pack Leader. I am his beta, it is only right for me to obey. But even then I don't do so blindly, Gavin. If he gives me an order that I find ridiculous, or that puts him in danger of losing his life, I will disobey it. I am a magehound, not a brainless puppet. Not even a pack leader is all knowing, pup. Scout's tongue lolled from his mouth in a doggy grin. That's why they need betas and such. We animals are smarter and wiser than you humans think, little one.

"Think so?" Gavin chuckled at the dog's matter-of-fact tone. "Okay Mr. Wise One, how about you tell me what I should do about saving Smoke?"

I think you should trust your instincts, Gavin. Like any smart pup would. What are they telling you?

"That I should go and help my friend."

Then do so. But not alone. I am going with you.

"What? Scout, no! You can't come with me."

Why not? You need protecting and someone to watch your back. I can do both, it wouldn't be the first time. I went with Sev, Arista, and Drake when we hunted the dragonslayers in Washington State.

"I know, but I don't need you to come. This is just the Ravens, they're my best buds, and I can't ride the Magic Metro with a dog."

Yes you can. The train permits magehounds on it, as service dogs. Besides which, you aren't going anywhere without me, pup.

"Says who? You aren't the boss of me."

The magehound growled softly. Ah, but I am. I outrank you according to Pack Law. Severus is alpha, I am beta, and you, young pup, are a juvenile. Which means I am responsible for your safety, as Severus is for mine. And that means that you go nowhere without me, young one.

Gavin gaped at the dog in astonishment. "I don't believe this! Now even the dog thinks he can tell me what to do. How do you think you can stop me, crazy mutt?"

Very easily, you obnoxious pup. Scout rumbled softly and the next thing Gavin knew was he was flat on his back, pinned to the bed by ninety-five pounds of irritated magehound.

"Urgh! Get off me, Scout. Right now!"

No. I'm staying right here until you promise me you'll take me with you. And watch your tone, pup, I'm your elder and I'm neither crazy nor a mutt.

Gavin struggled to push the dog off him, but the magehound was too strong, and his paws were planted firmly on Gavin's elbows and knees, making the boy unable to get any leverage. "Scout, move! C'mon, this isn't funny, dammit!"

I'm not laughing. Now quit squirming like a disobedient pup afraid of a cuff from an alpha and be still. I will let you up after your promise and not a minute before. And I can stay here a long time, I've guarded criminals this way for longer than you've been alive, pup, so don't test me.

"Since when do you have the right to just . . .walk all over me?" Gavin demanded angrily.

Since Severus is away and he told me to keep an eye on you, Scout replied smugly. It's much easier to do so now that we understand each other. So, will you promise to take me, or are we going to spend the night like this?

"You wouldn't!"

Scout snorted. I would and I have. Just ask Draco Malfoy. I guarded him for over twenty hours after the battle at Hogwarts with his sire, and half that time I spent pinning him to the floor and snarling in his face every time he moved. It was most unpleasant. For him, that is.

"I'll bet," the boy muttered, scowling at the stubborn dog. Scout merely looked at him, unfazed. "Do all you magehounds behave like this?"

No, but we do take protecting our chosen family very seriously. I more than most, since I've already lost a family once in my life. After that, I vowed on Canis Major never again would another of my pack die if I could prevent it. Especially not a puppy like you. Even if Sev hadn't asked me to guard you, I would have done so. That is a beta's job, to protect and teach those in his pack. Both the four-footed and two-footed kind. Will you give me your word, Gavin Albus Snape? Or shall I sit on you to persuade you? I'm kind of tired.

"No!" Gavin yelped, knowing his stomach wouldn't be able to handle ninety-five pounds of magehound collapsing on it. "Okay, you crazy dog! I promise you can come with me. Now get off me! Please," he added when the dog curled his lip at him in silent reproof.

There. That wasn't too hard, now was it? But we'll have to work on your manners, pup. You talk back to your elders far too much. Sev's too easy on you. Scout woofed, then jumped off the boy and back onto the floor.

"He is not!" Gavin replied indignantly. "He's punished me plenty of times for my smart mouth."

Not enough, since you haven't learned when to shut it. Maybe you'd learn quicker if I nipped your rump every time you took an attitude with him? That's what my mother did to me and my littermates when we were snippy to her.

"No! I mean, don't you dare, Scout. How come you never acted this way with Arista or Trish?"

They never needed it. You do, the magehound answered. Sometimes.

"Oh great. This is all I need. The watchdog from hell," Gavin grumbled. "What'd I ever do to deserve this?"

Change your attitude, pup and you won't need to worry about my teeth reprimanding you, Scout pointed out.

"Dogs shouldn't bite their owners, didn't you ever learn that?"

A nip is not a bite. Not even close. Besides, you don't own me, youngling, I chose to go to this family. A magehound chooses where he wishes to go and do, we are not sold to a particular owner like an ordinary dog. The relationship between magehound and wizard is more of a partnership than anything else, I obey Sev because I choose to, not because he makes me. The minute he tries to dominate my will, I'll leave, for no self-respecting magehound will put up with that from anyone, master wizard or no. Alpha makes the laws and beta carries them out, thus runs the Law of the Pack. Beta bows to alpha, and juvenile to beta, for youth always bows to age and wisdom, but someday a beta may become alpha for nothing lasts forever, pup. That is a magehound's wisdom.

"How old are you anyhow, Scout?"

The dog scratched for a moment, then replied, I am seventeen this October. Older than you by seven years and a lifetime's worth of experience. Yet still young by a magehound's estimation. My breed can live to forty and beyond, if we are fortunate.

"Yeah, Arista said that once. And you were a Hunter for most of that time, weren't you?"

Yes and before that a champion show dog. A magehound does many things in his lifetime, much the same as you humans. Now, if you are done asking me questions, might I suggest you begin this quest of yours?

"Yeah. I need to check and make sure my grandparents are asleep, then we can use the Floo network and get to the Metro Station." Gavin said, sliding off the bed.

I'll do that, though I strongly suggest you leave them some kind of sign, so they don't assume you've run off. They're going to be frantic with worry as it is. Then the dog padded out of the room.

Gavin considered the magehound's advice. Then he shook his head. While a good idea, he knew if he left his grandparents any clues to his whereabouts, they could call the Hunters and send them after him to bring him home. Director's son or not, Gavin knew any Hunter wouldn't hesitate to bring him in if assigned to, and Severus wouldn't think twice about giving that order if he had to. The Director had informed his adopted son long ago that his status as a Snape did not place him above the law, and if he broke it, he would suffer the same consequences as any other lawbreaker. Liberty and justice for all, not just a chosen few, that was what America and the Dark Hunters stood for. Therefore Gavin knew better than to leave any clues. Besides, he planned on getting back before anyone knew he was missing and so avoid trouble at all.

Scout returned after about a minute and informed the boy that Leo and Ari were sleeping soundly. He was carrying his leash in his mouth as well as a black and gold bandanna. Here, you'll need these to prove I'm a service dog. He laid the items at Gavin's feet. All Hunter magehounds wear them. Severus brought them over to show Ari one day and left them here by mistake.

"Lucky for us." Gavin knelt and tied the bandanna about the dog's neck and snapped the leash on Scout's collar. "Okay. We're set. Let's blow this popsicle stand, Scout."

The two walked silently out of the boy's room and downstairs to the den where the fireplace was. Just before they stepped into the grate, Scout asked, Uh, Gavin, why would we want to blow up a popsicle stand? And just what IS a popsicle stand?

"Never mind," the kid chuckled. "It's an expression. It means we're leaving in a big hurry." Then he tossed down the Floo powder and spoke the name of their destination.

 

* * * * * *

 

Five minutes later the boy and the magehound were aboard the Magic Metro and heading to New York City. No one gave the child and the magehound a second glance, apparently it was not uncommon to see magehounds aboard the train, even with unaccompanied minors. Gavin stared out the window, idly playing with the remaining Galleons in his pocket. Phase one of his plan had worked like a charm. Now for phase two. If all went well, he would be able to get to the Ravens' hideout and fix Smoke, then visit for awhile and leave. Once he was in Manhattan, Gavin had no fear he wouldn't recall the way back to his old home. And with Scout beside him, even the most foolhardy rival gang member would hesitate to jump him.

It would take the better part of an hour to get to the city-the MM was one of the fastest trains in the wizarding world. So Gavin had time for a nap and he took advantage of the opportunity like any good traveler. While the boy dozed on the cushioned leather seat, Scout remained alert lying beside him, guarding the child from harm. No one dared bother the boy once they caught sight of the dog, all knew the magehound's reputation as a fierce protector.

An hour passed and at last the Magic Metro came to a halt, and Gavin and Scout disembarked and made their way out of the train station and out into the street. The Metro dropped passengers off near the Octagonal Garden, which was several blocks from the Ravens' hideout. Though it was very early in the morning, the time of night when all the dealers, thieves, and other dregs of society prowled, Gavin was not afraid. He knew which blocks and neighborhoods to avoid and with Scout beside him, he feared very little, even in the Lower East Side.

He unsnapped the dog's leash, allowing the dog to trot beside him unhindered, just in case some low life tried to stalk them. The streets were unusually quiet for this hour, not silent, for New York truly was the city that never sleeps, but the usual blaring of car horns and such was muffled, almost as if the city was holding its breath or something.

Gavin felt a prickle of warning between his shoulderblades and he glanced about and behind him quickly, unobtrusively. "Scout, can you sense anyone following us? Or watching us?" he hissed to the dog.

Scout sniffed once twice, then shook his head. No. There is no one dangerous nearby that I can smell. Still, there is an aura I don't like. Somewhere in the city, a necromancer is calling upon the powers of darkness.

"How do you know?"

Because dark summonings leave a taint that's impossible to erase, even with concealment spells. I can always tell where dark magic has been used or a necromancer has been.

"Were you taught that?"

No, I have always been able to do so. That's one of a magehound's abilities, to sense the presence of magic, light or dark. Some of us, however, are more sensitive to dark auras than others. I am one.

"But there's no one behind us, right?"

Scout thrust his muzzle in Gavin's hand for affirmation, and Gavin stroked the dog's head. The magehound's sleek fur was soothing to the touch and they walked onward, the boy's hand resting on the dog's head.

They soon had gone the required seven blocks and Gavin turned down a narrow little street that housed derelict tenements, sites condemned by the city building authorities, but which they had now gotten around to tearing down yet. It was in one of those that the Ravens had their secret hideout.

Gavin and Scout passed the small wooden mailbox with the crescent moon and stars etched into it. He gave the box and fond caress as he went by, and the moon and stars glittered faintly, acknowledging the presence of a wizard.

Gavin quickly counted down three buildings and then turned right, coming face to face with a fading brick and yellowing stucco apartment house. Painted on the door in inexpert black paint was a stylized black raven and the words Enter At Your Own Risk below it. Gavin smiled, for he had drawn the bird and the written the words on the door two years ago, as part of his initiation. And also because he was one of the few members who could spell and read well. The one good thing Ferrous had ever done was send Gavin to elementary school, where he'd discovered the joy and wonder of books.

Scout sat beside him as he lifted his hand and knocked sharply nine times, in a secret pattern only a Raven knew and then whistled the high cry of a raven calling his fellows.

There came a series of six knocks on the opposite side of the door, then a soft voice called, "Name yourself, brother."

"Wolf."

"Do Ravens fly at night?"

"Yes, in the shadows as they choose, the night belongs to us."

"And our motto?"

"Ravens stick together."

The door opened. "Welcome back, Wolf," grinned a small girl, around twelve. She was dark haired and wiry dressed in faded jeans and a black threadbare hoodie. On her feet were worn sneakers.

"Monkey?"

"Yeah, didn't think you'd remember me," she laughed. "C'mon, get your adopted butt in here."

Gavin chuckled and came inside, Scout beside him. "Monkey, this is Scout, my dog."

"Wow! He's one sick dog!" she exclaimed, her dark eyes lighting up. Then she knelt to scratch the big dog, laughing when the hound licked her face. "Good boy!" She looked up at Gavin in sudden envy, taking in his new clothes at a glance. "Your cop daddy buy you those new threads, Wolf? And give you this puppy too?"

"Yeah," Gavin said, feeling suddenly self-conscious. "He treats me decent, girl. Real decent."

"Uh-huh." She stood, then brushed off her jeans and beckoned him onward into the apartment house. "Slick wants you to meet him first. You got the letter then?"

"Yeah."

"Good. You can fix up Smoke?"

"Should be able to. Got some meds from a good doc uptown, not a street hack," Gavin said, using slang for a medic who practiced without a license and treated the homeless and the destitute for free. Only problem with them was that they often didn't know as much as they pretended and could do more harm than good. But they were often the only alternative for a gang child.

"Okay. You done good, bro."

Scout cocked an ear at the boy as they followed the skinny child down the hallway. Gavin, why did she say that I was sick? I'm in perfect health, never better.

Gavin bit back a chuckle. Then he narrowed his eyes and attempted for the first time to communicate silently with the dog. No, Scout, it's not that kind of sick. It means cool, neat, awesome in slang. Get it? He felt a curious tingling behind his eyes.

Scout barked a yes, and Monkey looked back at him. "What's he barking for?"

"He does that when he's excited." Gavin answered, trying hard not to smirk like a demented fool. He'd just performed his first act of controlled magic. It was too bad Severus wasn't here so he could share it with him. He wondered if the man would be proud of him. Maybe it wasn't so impressive to talk to a dog, especially a magical one. He glanced about.

The paint and the plaster in the hallway was peeling and falling apart and the place smelled of old sneakers and mildew, but it was dry and offered shelter from the weather, which was all the gang wanted. There were no real locks on the doors of any of the apartments, those had all been removed by the gang and sold to a fence for cash, or taken to practice their skills on.

"Where's everybody else?"

"Out and about. Tonight's prime for begging and snitching," Monkey replied, giving him an odd look.

"Right," Gavin nodded, only then recalling that most of the gang still operated in the shadows and went out nearly every night to steal food and stuff. "How come you're not?"

She shrugged one bony shoulder. "Didn't feel like it. ‘Sides, somebody has to watch Smoke. He ain't so hot right now."

"Where'd he get the dope?"

"Who knows? Some shark, prolly. Don't much matter, now does it?" She gave a disgusted frown. "He oughta've known better, though. Trying new s*** that way. Now look at him, the stupid *#*!"

They had reached a large wooden door that looked as if it had seen better days. The paint on the wood was peeling and chipped and the wood had several large scratches on it. "This is Smoke and Slick's pad. They got the biggest, ‘cause they're the leaders." Monkey announced. She put a hand on the door knob. Then she looked back at Scout. "Uh, Wolf, you gotta leave the dog here. Slick don't like dogs, ‘member?"

Gavin sighed. He'd forgotten that little detail. Slick had a phobia about dogs ever since he'd been attacked by a Doberman when he was a kid, before he ran away from his home to live on the streets. He ruffled Scout's ears. "Stay here, boy. I'm just going to see to Smoke, okay? Then I'll be right back."

Scout whined, clearly not liking this arrangement. Gavin, you should stay where I can see you. How can I protect you, else?

I don't need protection here. I told you, these are my friends. I'll be all right.

"You talk to that dog like he can understand you."

"He understands more than you think," Gavin told her. You'd never believe how much, he thought, then followed her inside the apartment. Scout growled softly under his breath. There was something nagging at his instincts, though he didn't know quite what it was.

Monkey led Gavin into a room that had once been a den area. All it had now was a sagging recliner that someone had tossed out for trash day, ripped and stained an awful mustard color, some old carpets pieced together, two wooden packing crates scavenged from the docks pushed together for a table and an old folding chair of rusted metal. On the walls were old movie posters and rock concert signs stolen from the theaters and Madison Square Garden billboards. The only illumination in the place came from two bare bulb floor lamps and a TV set.

The TV was the only new thing in the apartment, it was a large screen and probably had been stolen from a house or off a truck, knowing Slick. He was an electronic whiz, could do things with computers that would have earned him a top spot in MIT or more likely jail. There was a cable box on the TV and it was apparently working.

Gavin raised an eyebrow. "How'd you guys get the juice for that?" he indicated the TV and the box. Electricity wasn't run through here unless you paid for it.

Monkey smirked. "Slick made a deal with some guy, we pay the cable and electric bill and he fronts for us. Been that way for over a year."

"Pay him how?"

"He likes weed and coke, so Slick introduced him to Fast Eddie." Fast Eddie was one of the major suppliers in the area, sometimes Slick ran errands for him, and he paid well.

Gavin had never dealt in drugs, his early upbringing by Ferrous made him wary of such things, and he knew Slick occasionally took too many chances when dealing with Fast Eddie. Two years ago, Smoke had gotten into a fight with Slick over his cozying up to Eddie, saying that he was dangerous and one day Slick was going to end up like Yellowtail Man, dead in the gutter with his throat cut. Slick had told Smoke to mind his own goddamn business, and they hadn't spoken to each other for a month.

Which was why Gavin found it so hard to believe Smoke would ever screw himself up using an unknown drug. Weed, sure, all of them had used that at one time or another, even Gavin had tried a puff or two once, but he hadn't liked it at all and after that never tried it again. But Smoke had been cagey and never gotten into the hard core stuff. Neither had Slick, he just ran it, but he wasn't a user. Unless that had changed too.

A door just off the den opened and Slick came through it. "Hey, Wolf boy," he greeted, coming over to slap palms with Gavin, his black eyes twinkling. He was eighteen and he hadn't changed much that Gavin could tell. He still had the same short spiky bleached hair, streaked with red and black, which were Raven colors. His right arm still bore the raven tattoo and his left eyebrow was pierced. He still wore the same combination of red and black clothing, shredded jeans and a red long sleeved shirt with a black hoodie whose sleeves were missing and black hightops. Slick was lean and muscled, he'd not started out as a streed hood, but he'd run away from home when he was thirteen after his mother remarried and his stepfather started hitting him. Or at least that was what he'd said. Gavin suspected there was more to it than that, for Slick did not have the wary air of an abused child, and he'd often wondered if Slick had been kicked out of his house for dealing drugs or stealing.

The other boy was an opportunist, he was always on the lookout for a quick buck, and Gavin knew better than to take anything he said at face value, for Slick was an accomplished liar. Still, he'd always treated Gavin fairly, though Gavin had never been as good friends with him as he was with Smoke.

"Where's Smoke?"

"In there, bro," Slick jerked his thumb back at the door. "You got meds for him, right?"

"Yeah. Stuff's called midnight mushroom, it's bad, Slick. It makes you paralyzed and could give you a heart attack if you take too much. But what I got here should fix Smoke up." He patted his pocket where the vial of Dawnstar Elixir was.

"Good. I hoped you could figure out something. You always were smart, Wolf," praised Slick, clapping Gavin on the back roughly.

Gavin smiled. "Lucky for Smoke." He padded into the bedroom where Smoke was lying on a stained twin mattress covered with fraying striped sheets and an old faded gray comforter. Like Slick, Smoke was eighteen, but he wore his dark hair long and tied back. He had some Indian ancestry mixed with Hispanic blood, for he was not tall, but wiry and he was dusky skinned. His eyes, which were midnight black, and normally shining with good humor, were dull and unfocused.

They stared out across the room and through Gavin as if he was not there.

"Smoke?" the boy whispered, the room was dim and smelled of sweat and urine. Gavin wrinkled his nose, then approached the still figure in the bed. Smoke did not move or give any sign that he'd heard Gavin. He was wearing a stained pullover, it was red, and the front of it was marred by three or four blue blotches. His spit was blue. Gavin recalled the letter Slick had written.

Gavin gently reached out and touched the older boy on the arm. No response. "Man, didn't they even clean you up?" he muttered angrily, for the smell was worse up close. "What the hell's the matter with Slick?"

He could just hear the older boy, if Gavin had said that to him. "Whaddaya think I am, some kind of F-ing nurse?"

Yet Smoke would have done it for Slick, had their roles been reversed, Gavin knew. Smoke was like that. He cared for the younger Ravens like an older brother or uncle. He'd be mad as hell if he knew that Slick had left him in this condition, for Smoke was a fanatic about personal hygiene. He snuck into hotel rooms so he could take a hot shower every other day and he kept his hair washed and clean. Now it was a tangled mess.

"I wish I was like Sev and could use cleaning spells," he muttered to his comatose friend. "Then you'd be like your old self when you woke up and not like a junkie reject from a VA hospital." Then he sighed. "Okay. At least I can make you come back from wherever you are, buddy."

He leaned over Smoke, noting that his skin was an unhealthy white tinged with purple and his breathing was shallow. He cautiously opened Smoke's mouth and tilted his head back, so he could swallow the antidote without choking. Arista had shown him how to give potions to a patient who was unconscious and might have trouble swallowing.

He fished out the crystal vial from his pocket and carefully broke the wax seal on the bottle. Then he shook it once, as Severus had instructed when using a potion that had been sitting on a shelf for an unknown period of time. He tugged out the cork and a refreshing scent filled the room.

Just inhaling it made Gavin feel better.

He gently tipped the vial and the precious Dawnstar Elixir flowed down Smoke's throat.

The other boy swallowed instinctively and suddenly his pallid features were suffused with color and he stirred.

Gavin grinned and turned to call back to Slick and Monkey. "Yo, guys, it's working! Come and see."

Smoke's normal dusky coloring returned and his breathing deepened. His eyes shut and he yawned.

The door opened and Slick came in, followed by two large men Gavin did not know.

"He awake yet?" Slick asked.

"Not yet, but he's lots better. The antidote worked just the way it said in my book," Gavin told the other boy excitedly, ignoring the two adults for a moment.

"Good." Slick said, a pleased note in his voice. "You done good, Wolf. Too bad you can't stick around and see him awake."

Gavin frowned. "I can't? Why not? My dad won't be wondering where I am for an hour or so at least." There was something odd about the way Slick had said that last. Now he looked up at the two men, who were huge and wearing black and green sweaters and black pants and work boots. "Hey, who are these guys?"

Slick ignored that question, instead turning to the two goons and saying quickly, "Just like I promised. Here he is, though why the hell you want the adopted son of a cop is beyond me."

"That's none of your concern," said one, glaring at Slick menacingly.

"What the Shifter wants, he gets," snorted the other and then he moved forward to grab Gavin by the collar.

Gavin was frozen for a moment. Huh? The Shifter? But that's the name of the criminal Sev was hunting. Then he began to struggle, fighting the meaty hand that held him. "Get off me, you scumbag!" Furious, he sank his teeth into the man's hand.

The man yelled, but did not release his grip. "Dammit, Goyle, the blighter bit me! Little rat bastard!"

His free hand fetched Gavin a sharp smack across the ear that made his head ring. Gavin staggered, knocked half sprawling by the other's blow.

"That'll be enough of that, you snarky little git!" cried the larger of the two, and suddenly he was pointing a wand at Gavin. "Behave or else I'll roast you."

Gavin spat at him. "Go to hell, you-" he snarled several uncomplimentary things about the other's ancestry and sexual connotations. "You hurt me and my father will make you wish you'd never been born. You know who he is?"

"Severus Snape, the crippled former Potions Master of Hogwarts," sneered Goyle. "He was my teacher once upon a time. He don't scare me none." He turned to the other man. "Pick him up and let's get the hell outta here. Before Snape figures out we've got his precious kid and turns the Hunters out after us."

Gavin backed away, but there was nowhere to run. He was trapped between the mattress and the others, including Slick, were in front of the door. He glared at the other Raven as the man advanced. "Why'd you do it, Slick?" he cried, angrily. "How much did they pay you, you miserable backstabber? You sold me out, you freakin' traitor!"

Slick shrugged, and looked slightly ashamed. "They arrived right before you did. Said they'd do me if I didn't turn you over to ‘em, kid. Sorry."

"Liar! How much did they offer you, you doublecrossing slitch?"

"C'mere, boy," growled the man he'd bitten. "Don't try any funny business, or else I'll send you to dreamland with Betsey here," he shook one meaty fist pointedly.

"Up yours!" Gavin made one last try for freedom, but it was futile.

The huge man snatched him up in one powerful arm and tossed him over his shoulder. "Where's the back door in this sodding place?"

They followed Slick through the bedroom door and took a right across the den to a door Gavin hadn't seen until now. "Scout!" The boy shouted, still struggling in the man's grip. "Get help! Scout!"

There came the sound of a dog snarling horribly and a sharp thud as the magehound threw his body against the apartment door. Gavin! I can't get in! Scout bayed furiously.

Slick went pale and shivered. "Where'd that friggin' dog come from?"

Monkey was standing gaping at the men hauling Gavin away in horror, her eyes huge. "Wolf, I swear I didn't know!" She whirled on Slick. "How could you, you bastard?"

Slick took a step towards her, hand raised. "Shut up, kid! This don't concern you."

"Like hell. He's a Raven and you just betrayed him."

"He ain't a Raven no more, just a mark now," Slick drawled. "A dumb one too, walked right into my snare like a baby rabbit."

"Monkey!" Gavin yelled. "Open the door. Let Scout in here!"

But before she could move, Goyle and the other man had thrown open the back door and left, dragging Gavin with them.

Scout! Find Severus! Then bring him to me! Scout, can you hear me? Gavin called silently to the furious magehound, who was letting loose with a paroxysm of baying, his claws scratching great furrows in the wood of the apartment door.

The two moved off to where a nondescript green van was running at the curb. "Drive, Goyle," snapped the man who held Gavin. Then he pointed a finger and Gavin found himself frozen, unable to move. "There, that ought to hold you, Snape's brat or not." He tossed the boy in the back of the van, the hopped in the front. The van pulled away from the curb just as a snarling Scout charged around the corner of the building, barking and snarling.

"Bloody dog!" spat Goyle, and pointed his wand at the hound, who was lunging at the van door like a possessed thing. His wand shot a red beam at the great dog, but Scout dodged it, sensing the magic just before it struck.

Goyle put his foot on the gas and the van lurched out into the street, leaving the frustrated dog behind, howling in rage at the abduction of his packmate.

 

"Good riddance to that plague taken hound!" laughed the other wizard, whose name was Bobby Devlin.

"Wish we could Apparate instead of driving this bloody Muggle van," muttered Goyle crossly.

"Quit yer whining. You know the rules. Hunters can trace us easier if we Apparate," Devlin pointed out. "This's safer. Once we get close enough, we ditch the van and fly. No way they can track us then, even with that blasted dog. Better safe than sorry, as we say. Merlin's backside, but that Director is gonna have all his people crawling over this place once he realizes his kid is missing, so we'd best cover our tracks."

"Ha! You scared of old Snape?"

"Damn straight I am. Since he got here, their capture ratio's gone up by twenty-five percent. That man's nobody to screw with, Goyle. And now we took his son, he's gonna be coming for us with murder in his eye. This was a stupid idea. I told the boss that, but he insisted we snatch the kid."

"And he was right. This is all part of the plan." Goyle snickered.

"What plan?"

"The plan to get revenge on those that've wronged him, of course. First Potter, now Snape. It's working like clockwork. But then again, the Shifter's always been clever that way."

Devlin snorted. "One day, he's gonna be too clever and then he'll be a dead wizard."

"Oh, blow it out your arse, Devlin."

Devlin flashed his partner a rude gesture before lapsing back into silence. Unlike Goyle, he did not think the Shifter was a brilliant wizard. Just one who'd gotten extremely lucky. And one who allowed revenge to get the upper hand. It was a mistake to taunt the Director of the DHI, an even bigger one to kidnap his only son. Severus Snape was one of the most powerful wizards in the world, he'd fought Lucius Malfoy and slain him and now they had him and Harry Potter to deal with. Devlin had the uneasy feeling that the boss had bitten off way more than he could chew and now they would all suffer for it.

Unknown to the two necromancers, however, they had gained another passenger. While Scout had distracted the two, Monkey had slipped from the building and climbed on top of the van and now sat crosslegged, clinging to the roof rack like a woodtick.

Meanwhile, Scout was racing down a deserted street, nose in the wind, trying to pick out Severus's scent.

Chapter End Notes:
So now you know what really happened. Thanks to all of my reviewers and keep reviewing, please!