Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus cares for a sick Harry and confronts his wayward son with the consequences of his actions.
Aftermath

Once Severus had turned over Devlin to Colin and Harry had registered the fact that both Goyle and Draco had been killed while resisting arrest, they all Apparated back to Snape's house on Lily Lane. Severus promptly gave his son a Headache Remedy and put him to bed, content to let the child sleep before he started in on a lecture about Gavin's behavior and how he now had to learn to control his newfound powers.

Both Ginny and Harry were utterly exhausted, and after transfiguring Snape's couch into a queen-sized bed, they soon collapsed on it and were instantly asleep. Scout opted to sleep with Gavin for once, and thus Severus was able to sleep by himself. After drinking his own cup of tea, which contained a muscle relaxant to soothe the cramping in his left leg, the Director went to sleep as well.

All was peaceful in the little house until the wee hours of the morning, when Harry's stomach woke him threatening to turn itself inside out. He bolted up from the bed and ran into the bathroom down the hall. Ginny rolled over in the bed, her hand reaching out to hug her husband, but encountering only an empty pillow and a cold blanket. She sat up, puzzled as to where Harry had gone, but she soon discovered where he was.

"Oh honey, what's the matter?" she cried, while her poor husband vomited for what seemed like the umpteenth time in an hour. "You poor thing, let me get you a cold towel and some ginger ale. My mum used to give me that when my stomach was upset."

"Please . . .just go away, Ginny . . ."Harry groaned, not in the mood for his wife's presence. He wished he could die, or that someone would shoot him and put him out of his misery, like a terminally ill dog.

"Of course I won't go away. Honestly Harry, what kind of wife would I be if I did that? I want to help you . . ." she started to come into the bathroom, her hand outstretched.

She jumped about a foot when Severus laid his hand on her arm, preventing her from going any closer to her sick husband. "I'd stay away from him if I were you, Ginny," he said.

"Severus! Merlin's ghost, but you scared me!" Ginny gasped, her heart pounding in her chest like a runaway rabbit's. "Harry's sick, well, I guess you can see that for yourself . . .sorry, did we wake you?"

"No, I'm a light sleeper and I was checking on Gavin, who's sleeping like a rock," the Director answered. "You shouldn't go too near him, Ginny. Catching a stomach virus when you're pregnant is not a good thing, especially since you wouldn't be able to take any of my potions for it, since they all have some ingredient that's dangerous to pregnant women."

Ginny looked upset. "Oh . . .I guess you're right. I never thought . . .are you sure that's what's wrong with him? I thought maybe it was just reaction sickness or a bad hamburger."

Snape shook his head. "No, this is a stomach virus. He caught it from Gavin, I'd wager. It's been almost forty-eight hours since he was exposed to it, which is the normal time it takes to incubate, and now . . ."

"Would you mind not bloody discussing me like I was a piece of furniture?" Harry grumbled, lifting his head to give both Ginny and Severus a scowl. It would have been more potent if he hadn't been so sick.

"We weren't," Ginny frowned. "Now quit being so snippy. How long have you been sick?"

"Bout an hour. I think." He rubbed his eyes and straightened his glasses, which had been knocked askew since he'd jammed them on in his haste to run to the bathroom.

"How many times have you thrown up?"Severus asked.

"I don't know. Four maybe five times. Why? Plan on keeping a chart?"

"Definitely a stomach virus," said Snape. "Ginny, you should consider sleeping in my bed for the remainder of tonight. I'll stay with Harry. He'll need me to brew potions, among other things."

Ginny nodded. "Well, let me at least get you a cool cloth and some water, Severus," she said briskly and padded into the kitchen.

She returned a few minutes later with a damp towel and a glass of water. Severus took them and motioned for her to leave. "Thank you, Sev," she said, then added, "I'm sorry, Harry, I wish I could help you, but . . ."

"Just go to bed, Ginny!" Harry barked. His stomach was cramping again and the last thing he wanted was for his wife to see him like this. "Let me die in peace!"

"Okay, dear," she replied, tossing him a hurt look before departing to sleep in Severus's bedroom.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic, Potter," Severus scolded gently. "You're not going to die from this."

"I wish I was," the younger man groaned. "Malfoy's getting revenge on me from beyond the grave, I swear it."

Severus rolled his eyes at the other's ridiculous fancy and came over to put the towel on the back of Harry's neck. Then he felt his forehead. "Ah. Slight fever. Chills. Nausea and cramps. Diarrhea as well, yes?"

Harry flushed and nodded. "What are you, a walking medical text, like Arista?"

"Hardly. My diagnosis comes from experience, not magic. Gavin had the same symptoms when he was sick. Come along, Harry. You need to be in bed." He gently started to assist the younger man.

But the movement only served to bring on another bout of nausea. Severus promptly held Harry's head until it was over. Then Severus gently wiped his face and held a cup of water to his lips. "Sip it. Rinse out your mouth. Good. Now, come on, let's go back to bed."

Utterly mortified but too sick to care that Severus was treating him like a child, Harry allowed the Director to help him back to his bed. Severus tucked him in, left the water on the end table and conjured a basin in case Harry got sick while he was brewing.

"I'll be back in fifteen minutes. Try and rest a bit."

"Oh, sure." Harry grumbled. "Like I can rest when my stomach is doing flips all over."

"Stop behaving like a whiny two-year-old," Severus frowned. Then he left to go down to his lab.

Fifteen minutes later he returned with several drafts of the two potions he'd given Gavin. Unlike his son, Harry knew better than to argue and simply took each one without protest. He made a face after drinking them though. "Gavin was right. They do taste awful."

"But they work," Severus countered, giving his patient a drink of water. "Here's a fever reducer and a sleeping draft."

Harry took them also, then asked grumpily, "How long does this damn virus last?"

"Twenty-four to forty-eight hours, usually."

The Auror groaned. Then he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

The next twenty-four hours were miserable for both of them. Harry was not the easiest patient when he was sick, he grumbled and whined alternately, for he hated being so totally at another's mercy. Everything was wrong. His blankets were too hot, the water was too cold, the tea tasted like shoe leather, he was achy and tired, but when Severus told him to go to sleep, he growled that he didn't feel like it. He wanted some broth and toast, but when it was brought to him, he pushed it away, saying he wasn't hungry. His stomach felt awful, and Snape's potions were making it worse, even though he felt better after he took one. He didn't want them hovering over him, but no sooner had they left, then he complained he wanted company. Severus sympathized with him, up to a point, then he snapped back that if Harry would lose the attitude he'd get better quicker.

"Why don't you just call Arista then?" he groused. "She'd fix me up in a blink."

"Wrong. If Arista were here she'd tell you the same thing I am, her powers can only deal with symptoms, a virus has to go away on its own. She could boost your immune system to make you get well faster, but not cure you. My potions do the job just as well, and she's got bigger things to worry about."

"Real nice, Sev. I guess I can tell where I rank with you, you snarky git."

Severus shot him a reproving look. "You're acting like a sulky brat, now stop it. Being sick is no excuse either. You've been nothing but rude and nasty all day and I've had it."

"So have I," Ginny put in from the entryway to the den. "Just because you're sick is no reason to turn into a carbon copy of Draco Malfoy."

"What? I'm not!"

"Oh yes you are, and if you weren't too old, I'd tell Severus to spank that attitude out of you, mister," she declared, shaking her finger at him.

Harry gaped at her. "Ginny! I'm not . . .how dare you . . .I can't believe . . .she's wrong, she must be . . ." he cast a mute glance at Severus, "Isn't she?"

"No. I agree with her one hundred percent. You've been behaving like a spoiled rotten brat in need of a good spanking and if you were ten years younger I'd be sorely tempted to give you one."

Harry glared at them, feeling very put upon and misunderstood. "I don't believe this. I'm half dead from this blasted disease and all you two care about is my attitude."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Men! When they're sick they all turn into great big babies. I've been sick to my stomach for over three months and you don't hear me whining about it."

"That's different," her husband muttered sulkily. "You're pregnant, you're supposed to get sick."

Ginny exchanged glances with her former professor. "Is it me, or has he suddenly become a first-class pain in the arse?"

"He's always been that," Severus commented dryly.

"I figured as much. What shall we do about it?"

"What do you mean, what are you gonna do about it?" Harry cried indignantly. "All I want is for you to take care of me, Ginny," he whined.

"No, you don't. You want a slave at your beck and call 24/7, Mr. Potter," she retorted. "That's not what I'm here for. Or Severus either." She crossed her arms over her chest and eyed her recalcitrant husband sternly, much like a mother with a disobedient little boy.

Severus was nodding in agreement. "It'd be nice if I heard a thank you every once in awhile. And perhaps an apology as well for being such an unmitigated pain in the ass. Then maybe we'd find it in our cold cruel hearts to feel the tiniest bit sympathetic for you. Right, Ginny?"

"You want me to apologize to you? What for?"

"He's not getting it, Sev," Ginny muttered exasperatedly.

"He's just being stubborn."

"I am not! I feel God awful and you two are taking advantage of me."

"Taking advantage of you?" cried his wife in disbelief. "Oh, if you weren't sick, I'd wallop you over the head with a skillet, you bone-headed mule!"

"I could lend you one," Snape remarked, his eyes twinkling.

"Both of you just go away and leave me alone. You're only making me worse," Harry snapped petulantly. "Then when I die from neglect, you'll regret it."

"Fine! I will," Ginny huffed, then whirled and stomped out of the room.

"When you've done feeling sorry for yourself, boy, let us know," Snape drawled and followed Ginny into the kitchen.

Harry gaped after them. "But . . .wait . . .Severus . . .where are you going?"

"Away, since you obviously don't need me," the Director called over his shoulder.

"But what if I need something?" came the plaintive cry. "You can't leave me like this!"

"Why not? You wanted to be alone, so we're doing what you wished."

The Director smirked and sat down at the kitchen table. Ginny was already there, sipping a cup of mint tea and massaging her head. "That man is so impossible! H e makes me want to smack him sometimes."

"I know." Severus said feelingly. "I give him ten minutes before he starts calling us."

"Five. At the most."

"Seven. His pride will shut him up for at least that," Snape argued.

Sure enough, seven minutes later they heard a voice whining, "Uh . . .Ginny . . .Severus . . .please come back . . .I need you . . .Guys? Please . . ."

Ginny bit her lip. "Should I?"

Severus waved a hand. "No. He won't die from being made to wait for another five minutes. Gives him time to think over his behavior. It always works with Gavin."

"Sneaky, sir. I ought to take notes. Does it work on little kids too?"

"Certainly. Just as well as it does on your husband."

Ginny settled back in her chair, a Snape-like smirk on her face. "I suppose what my mum always said was true. A little reflection is good for the soul. She used to say that just before she sent us to our room or made us stand in the corner. Sometimes she even said it right before she whacked our behind too," she said reminiscently.

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Then your mother was an old fashioned disciplinarian, I take it."

"You could say that. She was never cruel, but she was, uh, firm and you knew not to cross lines with her, or else. The twins were in trouble more than me or Ron, as you could probably guess, but I was no princess either, even though I was the only girl. Of course, Fred, George and Ron will tell you that I was spoilt beyond belief, but they're exaggerating. Mum never played favorites. That was Dad's line."

"And who did he favor the most? You? Or one of your brothers?"

Ginny considered. "Well, he always had the most in common with Bill, who went to work for Gringotts Bank. Bill liked learning about the Muggle world too, though he was never obsessed with it the way Dad is. And Bill's the most like him in temperament too. Friendly as a puppy, unless you really get on his nerves, or do something to hurt his family. Then he becomes a rabid guard dog. But aside from that, I guess I'd say he favored me over most of the other boys. He used to call me his queen and said my brothers were my loyal knight protectors. I was his only girl, so I guess it's to be expected." She eyed the Director speculatively. "How about you, Severus? Are you guilty of favoring one of your children over another?"

"I'd hope not. I try and treat them all the same, for the most part. I don't think I favor Arista over Trish and Gavin because she's my blood and they're not. They're all special to me, in their own way. Arista because she's Amelia's daughter, my last living descendant, and she reminds me so of her mother. Trish is one of the kindest people I've ever met, she's like a ray of sunshine, and she brightens up my life considerably. And Gavin . . .he's an incurable scamp with the smartest mouth in America, but for all of that I love him to distraction, no matter how angry he makes me sometimes."

"Sort of the way you do Harry," Ginny remarked sagely.

"What makes you say that, Mrs. Potter?"

"Well, I know you used to think he was no better than his father at first, but during the war that changed and I can see now that you sort of treat him like one of your own kids. An annoying foster child that you long to wallop the daylights out of, but nevertheless, your son."

She expected Snape to deny everything, for in the past he never would have admitted that he cared for Harry. But the Director merely looked thoughtful. "An interesting theory, Ginny. And one that's well-thought out and insightful."

"And true."

"For the most part, yes. Lily asked me once, a long time ago, to watch over her child if anything ever happened to her. I gave her my word that I would, if I was able to. I kept that promise as well as I could when Harry was at school. No danger ever touched Lily's son when I was beside him. It was when I wasn't that he got into trouble and almost died."

"Tell me about it. Harry finds trouble like a leprechaun finds gold. I just pray he doesn't pass that trait onto our children. I don't want to die of anxiety before I'm thirty."

"Maybe you'll get lucky," Snape chuckled. "They might take after you or Arthur."

"God, I hope so. Because if not, I'm going to end up in an insane asylum."

"Now you sound like my sister-in-law, Teri. She has two twin boys who are Lucifer incarnate and she's forever saying she's going to commit herself one of these days."

"Wonderful, Severus. That makes me feel so much better," Ginny said sarcastically.

"I tell it like I see it. If you want encouragement, go and speak to Dumbledore's portrait." Severus said bluntly.

To his surprise, she burst out laughing. "He'd probably tell me to have a lemon drop and to not worry so much, I'll give myself gray hairs. Oh well, I'm sure I'll survive, just like my mum did and you too."

"I'm going to give you a piece of advice from my late wife Amelia that I found worked like a charm. Take it one day at a time, then sit back and reflect on what worked."

"Now there's some sound advice. She was a wise woman, your wife. Too bad I never met her. I would have liked her, I think."

"I agree. Amelia was very easy to like and she was even easier to talk to. She could always make me laugh." Severus smiled wistfully.

"You still miss her, don't you?"

"Now and always, Ginevra. She was the other half of me, the best part of me, and when she died she took a part of me with her. But I will always remember her for what she gave to me and in that way I will never lose her." He did not bother to tell his former student that he had shared a soulbond with Amelia, such things were not lightly discussed, nor did he tell Ginny that he could still speak with and see his dead wife on occasion. Such knowledge was meant only for those who shared a soulbond, and he knew that despite their love for each other, Ginny and Harry were not soulbonded.

Their voices and quiet laughter drifted out into the den, where a very disgruntled Harry was lying propped up by several pillows, a mulish scowl on his face. Right then he hated both Ginny and Severus, for surely they were talking about him and having a good laugh at his expense. It figures, they're in the kitchen having a good old time and I'm stuck in this blasted bed going mad from boredom. And they have the nerve to lecture me like I was ten or something. Who do they think I am, Gavin?

Thinking about Snape's son made him wonder what time it was, and he looked at the clock upon the mantle and discovered it was nearing two o'clock. Gavin would be coming home from school soon, and perhaps he would be better company than the Director and his wife were. They certainly couldn't be any worse, he reflected sourly.

When you've stopped feeling sorry for yourself, boy, let us know, Severus's words echoed in his head, stirring uncomfortable feelings of guilt and embarrassment. He wasn't feeling sorry for himself at all, was he? The peevish part of his mind argued. It was normal to be grouchy and crnaky when you were sick, right? Couldn't they give him a break? He'd dealt with Ginny and her morning sickness for three months and she'd been no bed of roses. But did she offer the same consideration to him? Hell, no! Instead she called him a pain in the arse. As for Severus, he might be brilliant at brewing potions and hunting down criminals, but his bedside manner left a great deal to be desired. Saying Harry was acting like a spoiled brat and needed a spanking, honestly! Who did that arrogant insufferable dictatorial man think he was, Harry's father?

He had a good mind to tell Snape off the next time he started lecturing. Better watch your step, the sensible part of his conscience warned. This is Severus's house, after all, and if you annoy him too much, he could kick your arse right out of it. So better behave, or you're liable to be spending the night in a tree on the lawn. Then Ginny will really lose her temper and clock you one.

He sighed heavily and leaned back on the pillows, all of which were plump goosedown and cushioned his weary head like a cloud. Severus had spelled the pillows for maximum comfort, he recalled with another twinge of guilt. The older man had also sat beside him for half the night, sponging down his face with water, giving him ice chips and ginger ale, and humming softly.

That had been the first time anyone had ever taken care of him that way, except when he was in Hogwarts and Madam Pomfrey had him in the infirmary. At the time, Harry had simply taken it for granted that Severus would be there for him.

The man was up all night, giving you potions and holding your head while you puked all over, and he never once complained about it, his conscience reproved. It was true. Severus had to be exhausted, but he was still awake and never very far away. Harry didn't even need to shout and he would come running. Or at least he had in the beginning. Until Harry's demands had increased all out of proportion to his illness, and started to rub Snape's patience raw.

The young wizard groaned softly and buried his face in his hands. They were right, Merlin help him. He'd been very selfish and rude, treating them as if they were a pair of house elves. Worse, he reflected glumly, because he'd never treated a house elf the way he had Ginny or Severus. He resisted the urge to squirm like a guilty schoolboy caught redhanded in some mischief.

You owe both of them a big apology, Potter. Sev was right, being sick really is no excuse for the way I've been acting. He cleared his throat, sipping some of the ice water Severus had left beside the bed.

Then he called, "Ginny? Severus? Could you come here for a minute, please?"

He expected them to ignore him. It would have been no more than he deserved.

But they both entered the den and came to stand beside his bed, questioning looks in their eyes.

"What do you want, Harry?" Ginny asked, a note of irritation in her voice.

Harry dropped his eyes to the bed comforter and muttered that he was sorry.

"Excuse me?" Severus frowned. "I didn't catch that. Would you mind repeating it, and look at me when you're talking."

Harry obeyed, lifting his head and looking the Director and Ginny in the face. "I said, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry for behaving like a prat and I don't mean to be ungrateful or anything. Forgive me?"

Severus and Ginny remained stony faced.

Harry threw them his most pleading and soulful look, that could have melted a heart of stone.

The two exchanged glances.

Then Severus said, "Very well, you're forgiven. Just don't let it happen again, am I clear?"

And the only thing Harry said was, "Yes, sir."

Harmony temporarily restored, Severus returned to the kitchen to make up some lunch, for all of them were starving. After eating, Ginny yawned and said she was going to sleep for a while. Severus generously told her she could take a nap in his bed, and settled himself in the recliner with a book, intending to do a bit of light reading before Gavin arrived home.

Only he found his eyes shutting, and he soon fell asleep, the book falling over his nose.

The sight was so comical, Harry couldn't help but giggle over it. He'd never seen Snape in such a position before, looking like an ordinary mortal, and the novelty tickled him tremendously.

He was still chuckling spasmodically when Gavin entered the house and tossed his schoolbag on the coffee table. "What's so funny?" he asked, careful to stand a few feet away from the bed, so Harry could not touch him or breathe on him. Gavin was not going to get sick again if he could help it.

"Take a look at that," Harry pointed to the recliner and the dozing Snape.

Gavin did, and he too started to laugh. "Oh man! He's done that before, but usually the book's been in his hand, not over his face." The boy peered at his sleeping parent. "I wonder if his nose is holding it up?"

For some reason that smartass observation sent the two off into gales of laughter.

"I've heard of being a bookworm," Harry began, wiping tears from his eyes. "But I never knew a bookworm could be a bookmark."

The two cracked up at the Auror's wit, giggling like two insane chimpanzees.

Severus opened one eye, wondering what in God's name was that noise? It sounded like two turkeys dying. "Who's making all that racket?" he snapped. "Can't I get an hour's rest here? Merlin's All-Seeing Eyes!"

"Sorry, Dad," Gavin apologized. "Go back to sleep."

Severus blinked, wondering if he'd gone blind. Why was he only seeing blurry black and white lines? He sat up abruptly, dislodging the book from his nose. It landed in his lap with a thump.

"What the devil . . .? Oh." He rubbed a hand across his face, then he looked over at his son, who was trying unsuccessfully to hide a smirk. "What's so funny, Gavin?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing you'll admit to, eh, son? Why are you staring at me like that, Harry? Have I suddenly grown horns?"

"No, but . . .er . . .we were just watching you sleep." said Harry lamely.

"Oh? Then what did you find so amusing? Do I snore or talk in my sleep or something?"

"No," Harry's shoulders quivered. "But you fell asleep with the book . . .on your nose . . .and, I'm sorry Severus . . .but it was the funniest thing!" he began to laugh uncontrollably.

Gavin soon joined in.

Severus merely sighed and considered retreating to his study to get some much needed peace and quiet. Then he remembered he still had to have a talk with Gavin about his behavior and the battle with Malfoy, Goyle and Devlin. He knew he'd neglected that duty since Harry had gotten sick, but now he could not, in good conscience, put it off any longer. Then too, he knew the boy was probably fretting over what punishment Severus was going to give him for his disobedience, and Snape decided now was as good a time as any to put the boy out of his misery.

He waited until Gavin had regained some semblance of control over himself before he announced quietly, "You and I need to have a long overdue discussion, Gavin Snape."

"Now?" the boy repeated in dismay.

"Yes. Where shall we have it? My study or your room?"

"My room," Gavin relied, figuring he was going to end up there one way or another, so he might as well be there to begin with.

"Very well." Severus gestured for the child to proceed him down the hallway, and he rose stiffly to his feet and limped after his son.

"Don't be too hard on him, Sev," Harry called as the Director went by. "He's only a little kid."

"One that needs to learn the consequences of his actions, good and bad," Severus returned crisply. "Every action has a consequence, and he's old enough to know right from wrong. Or he will by the time I'm through with him."

Harry winced. "Just try and leave him in one piece, okay?"

Severus snorted and turned on his heel, not bothering to dignify that comment with an answer. Harry had no reason to fear that he would mistreat Gavin, Severus knew how to dole out appropriate punishments, and his son would only get what he deserved, no more and no less.

Gavin was sitting on the bed when his father entered the bedroom, chin up and a resolute look in his eye that reminded Snape of himself as a child, fearing another beating from his father but determined to take it soundlessly. Gavin had that same look now and Severus had to school his expression into something resembling sternness, despite wanting to smile at the boy's attitude. He's very like me, even if he'll never admit it.

Severus shut the door behind him and cast a Muffliato charm over the room to ensure that what was spoken remained private. Then he crossed over to the desk and dragged the chair out from under it and placed it opposite his son.

Gavin was eying his parent warily, trying to gauge just how angry Severus was and whether or not the man was mad enough to spank him. It wasn't that Gavin feared that punishment, hells, he'd been whipped so many times before by Ferrous it had seemed odd when the orphanage manager hadn't licked him at least once a day. No, it wasn't the spanking itself he feared, as much as he did his father's displeasure and the fact that he'd actually made the man furious enough to hit him.

Such discipline was rare, and Gavin knew he'd have to do something horrible for Severus to punish him that way. He simply wondered if sneaking out of his grandfather's house, going to New York and visiting his friends without permission, and nearly getting himself killed was bad enough to warrant a thrashing.

Maybe, was the only thing he could come up with.

Severus fixed his son with one of his famous Snape glares, that struck fear into the most belligerent Hogwarts student. Gavin dropped his eyes, but only for a moment. Then he met his father's gaze.

"Would you care to explain the reasons behind your running away in the middle of the night to rescue someone who later betrayed you to your worst enemy? Do you have any idea how badly you scared your grandparents, young man? When Ari called me, I thought she was about to have a heart attack right there."

Gavin flinched, he hadn't meant to make his grandmother worry. It seemed as if Scout had been right, he should have left some sort of note. "I'm sorry Nana was so upset," he began contritely. "I never wanted her to worry, I was supposed to be back before morning. That's why I didn't bother leaving a note, even though I should have."

He explained about Slick's letter, stressing that it was Smoke who was dying, and he was not the one who betrayed Gavin to those filthy slave dealers. "So I had to do something, Dad. I owed Smoke for that time when I was sick and he saved my life. I figured out that it was midnight mushroom powder he'd taken, or been given, since the Smoke I used to know never took drugs. Then I realized that the only thing that could cure him was the Dawnstar Potion, which I had no idea how to make. But I went down in your lab, sir, and found a vial of it already made." Here Gavin paused, and swallowed sharply, for this was the dangerous part of the tale.

After a moment, he continued. "So, I, uh, borrowed it and brought it with me on the train, along with Scout." Once he'd begun, Gavin told Severus everything, including how he'd used the potion to restore Smoke and then was subsequently betrayed by Slick. The old helpless feelings of hurt and anger came welling up, and Gavin shivered, his eyes sparkling with tears. "I trusted him, he was my friend, almost like my family and he . . .he sold me out, Dad! Like I was nothing. For a lousy three hundred bucks or whatever. I still can't believe he did it . . ."

The anguish in his son's tone cut Severus like a knife. He couldn't bear to see the boy suffering that way and he rose and came to sit beside him, abandoning the role of disciplinarian for that of comforter for now. He put an arm about Gavin's slender shoulders and hugged him. "I know, child. It feels like he put a knife in your gut and twisted it."

"Yeah. Exactly like that," Gavin admitted, sniffling. "How did you know?"

"Because I too was betrayed by someone I thought of as my best friend."

"Who?"

"Lucius Malfoy. He pretended to be my friend so he could recruit me into becoming one of Voldemort's supporters. I was only sixteen and lonely and desperate for a friend and he seemed so sincere . . .but it was a lie, he never cared for me, only for my potions expertise and my magic." Severus said softly, gently rubbing the child's back. "Like your Slick he too sold me out, as you put it, sold me up the river and into the arms of the devil himself."

"Was that why you killed him?"

"No. I killed him because he needed to be stopped, because he had nearly killed Arista, and his evil brought danger to all that I was sworn to protect. It wasn't really for myself that I killed Lucius, though I'm not sorry he's dead. I learned a long time ago to never kill for revenge. What I did that day was justice, for me and for everyone else he'd hurt."

"Unlike me," the boy murmured. "I only wanted to save you, to stop Goyle, not . . .not kill him. But the fire was inside of me and it just burst out . . .and then it was too late . . .I guess Ferrous was right about me, I'm a murderer now. Does this mean I'm gonna go to hell when I die?" he asked plaintively.

"Oh, Gavin. No. Never." Severus pulled the boy to his chest. "Hell is not for children, not even ones who've killed with magic. Hell is reserved for those like Lucius and Draco, remorseless, evil, wicked men who deserve an eternity of suffering. Not you, son. Never you."

"But . . .I broke one of the Ten Commandments. Thou shalt not kill, and I did! I burned him to ash!" Gavin wailed, and buried his face in Severus's shoulder, his small frame shaking with sobs.

"Shhh . . .it's all right . . ."the Director whispered, rocking the child and letting him cry until he was spent, releasing all of the guilt and fear he'd been suppressing.

When Gavin had at last stopped crying, Severus tilted his chin up and looked the boy right in the eye. "Listen to me now. Evil lies in the intent as well as the deed itself. You said you didn't mean to kill him, therefore what you did constitutes involuntary manslaughter, by law. Your gift is very powerful and you lost control of it, but that does not make you a murderer, Gavin. You regret what you did, even though you and I both know Goyle deserved to die. And that is the big difference between you and them. If you regret and repent, then your sins shall be forgiven. Is that not in the Bible?"

"Yes," Gavin said shakily, wiping his nose with his sleeve.

Severus grimaced and handed him a handkerchief he'd conjured.

"And you do, so you're not going to hell. But you will need training in your gift, and I shall start tutoring you tomorrow. As a firecaller, you need to learn how to control your magic before it controls you. Have you set anything else on fire since then?"

"No. But sometimes I feel the fire in my blood, pulling and tugging at me to get out. But I won't let it."

"Good. You need to keep the fire within you for now, until you learn how to let it go and call it back. But we'll work on that tomorrow." Severus then released the boy and returned to his seat on the chair. "Now we have to discuss the consequences of your disobedience, my boy. What did I ask you to do at your grandmother's?"

"To be good and not get in trouble," Gavin sighed.

"And do you call sneaking out of their house and driving them insane with worry behaving yourself, young man?" Severus demanded, frowning.

"No, sir."

"You know better than to pull a stunt like that, Gavin Albus Snape. You also know better than to take anything from my potions cabinet without asking me first."

"But I had to, Dad!" Gavin protested. "Otherwise Smoke would've died."

"Understood, but you are never to take anything from my lab again unless you ask me. I hate people pawing through my things, and especially my potions. Do it again and I'll consider it stealing and you know what I said I'd do if you stole anything, don't you?"

"Yes, sir."

"And not only did you take my potion without permission, you also put yourself in a great deal of danger as well. Your reckless behavior nearly got you killed. Next time think before you go rushing headlong into a situation, and always make sure you let someone know where you're going in case something bad happens. What's Hunter protocol for a Priority One mission, Mr. Snape?"

"Always have a backup partner," Gavin recited. "I did. I had Scout."

"A magehound is no substitute for a wizard, and well you know it," Severus scolded. "You went into that place blind and you're lucky you came out again. So then, here are the consequences of your poor judgement. You're grounded for a month, no TV, no video games and especially no broom. The Windstorm's mine until then, no arguments. You're also going to apologize to your grandparents for scaring them half to death and promise never to do anything like that again. Because if you ever pull something like this again, young man, you'll be over my knee so quick it'll make your head spin, got me? This is the only warning you're going to get, so I suggest you remember it."

"I will, sir. I'm sorry, I really am."

"I hope so. Now please try and behave from now on, won't you? Before you give me a heart attack."

"Okay, Dad. I'll try."

"Good. Then I forgive you." Severus said, and he tousled his son's hair.

"Just like that?"

"Yes. But don't ever do it again," he added, scowling fiercely.

"No, sir. I promise that next time I'll ask your permission first," said Gavin. His stomach rumbled loudly. "Uh, am I allowed to eat, or are you going to tell me I have to go to bed without supper?"

"No, you're still recovering from that virus, so you can't afford to skip meals," his father said. "Come along, brat. You can help me prepare dinner tonight. But afterwards-"

"I know, I know. I have to clean up after dinner and do my homework and go to bed right after it," Gavin recited. "Booring!"

"You know what I always say, Gavin. If you don't like it-"

"Don't get in trouble," the boy finished, rolling his eyes. He rose to his feet and started towards the door, adding slyly, "Another great Snape saying to live by."

"Smartass," Severus scowled, reaching out and giving the kid a swat on the bottom.

"Like father, like son," the brat replied impudently, then slipped away before his father could give him another swat, a cheeky grin on his face, thus missing entirely his father's rueful smile.

Snape followed, thinking resignedly, He's your son, all right, Severus. Smart mouth and all, not by blood, but he has your spirit. God help us all.

Chapter End Notes:
What is your opinion on Severus's punishment?