Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus recieves a letter from Harry announcing the birth of his children and also a heartfelt thank you to his former professor.

Plus the reason why some good guys wear black.
Epilogue--A Thank You

A large snowy owl circled the little house on Lily Lane before landing on the porch railing and hooting softly.

"Dad, the mail's here!" came a boy's voice from somewhere inside.

"Go and get it," ordered a man's voice. "I can't stop stirring this elixir for ten minutes yet."

"Okay," replied the boy and opened the door.

Gavin Snape stepped out on the porch, barefoot and in his pajamas, ignoring the nippy wind blowing off from the ocean. "Hey, it's Hedwig!" he exclaimed. "How are you doing, girl?" He reached out and took the manilla envelope from her and stroked her head gently. "Here you go," he gave her a large piece of chicken. "Thanks, you've flown a long way. Want to rest a bit?"

Hedwig hooted softly, but did not fly into the open door Gavin held ajar for her. I can't, Gavin. I promised Harry I'd be back ASAP, he's got more announcements for me to deliver.

"God, what's he want you to do, fly your wings off?"

I don't mind. It's not every day you have new owlets in the family, Hedwig chirupped. Besides, all their screeching was beginning to get on my nerves. I'd rather fly than listen to that. Enjoy your mail, and tell Professor Snape I said hello.

"Will do, Hedwig. Safe trip home and watch out for crosswinds," Gavin called as the snowy owl lifted off into the sky again.

Thank you, and may the wind favor your wings, young Snape, Hedwig hooted, giving Gavin the traditional farewell of all avians. Then she circled around the house once and was gone, flying back across the Atlantic to Harry Potter's home in London.

Gavin looked down at the letter in his hand which was addressed to Severus and Gavin Snape and smiled. Then he bounded back into the house, yelling, "Hey, Dad! We got a letter from Harry and Ginny. I think they've had the twins. Can I open it?"

"Wait a minute, I'm almost done." Severus called from his lab. He gave his elixir one last stir and decanted it. Then he came out of his lab, wiping his hands on a rag as he did so.

He found his son standing in the hallway, holding a large manilla envelope.

Together, two dark-haired wizards opened the envelope and read the following announcement.

Dear Sev and Gavin,

Ginny and I are now the proud parents of twins. They were born right on Valentine's Day and it was an easy delivery, thank God. And no, Severus, I did not pass out, thank you very much. (Although I thought about it.) Both mum and babies are perfect, and already are causing me to lose sleep over them.

My first born is a girl, we named her Lily Margaret, and she weighed 5lbs and 8oz at birth. She has reddish blond hair and huge green eyes and she's just the most beautiful thing.

Her twin was born some ten minutes after that, and he weighed almost the same, 5lbs, 10oz. Since Ginny got to name our daughter, it was my turn to name my son. I called him Severus Arthur, after you and Ginny's dad, since if it weren't for you, Sev, he might never have been born. It's my way of saying thank you so very much for helping save my wife and saving me from myself. I know you're probably standing there gaping and wondering if I've gone round the bend, naming my first-born son after you instead of my father, but I haven't.

It took me several long years to realize this, but in your own sarcastic critical way, you've treated me like a son, and you were there when I needed you most. My dad would understand and I'll name the next boy I have after him.

Little Sev, as we call him, has my dark hair and deep blue eyes, takes after my side of the family. Here's a picture of the two of them, Lil and Sev, sleeping side by side. Right now they look like angels, but I'm sure in a few months they'll be making me pull my hair out.

Someday, when they're old enough, I'll tell them the story of how we rescued them from the Shifter and how my son can be proud of bearing your name, since you are the most courageous man I've ever known.

Give my regards to Gavin and tell him to stay out of trouble, if he can. And Ginny says to wish Arista luck.

Sincerely,

Harry

P.S. We got a puppy from Dr. Lockwood too. His name is Seeker and he's smart and funny and into everything. Ginny and I just love him, the crazy hound!

There was a large 8x10 snapshot of the Potter twins, sleeping like little angels. Severus's namesake had one hand clutching his sister's and the other in his mouth, curled up under a blue receiving blanket with crescent moons and stars all over it. Lily was sleeping with a smile on her tiny face, her reddish hair glowing like peace fuzz, wrapped in a soft pink quilt with kittens on it.

As they watched, the two babies moved, curling up on their side and little Sev grabbed Lily's hand and stuffed it into his mouth, making Gavin laugh.

"Cute, aren't they? Wow, Dad, that makes two kids you've had named after you. First Colin and Jenna's son and now this one. If you don't watch out, you're gonna have an army of little Severus's."

"God help us all," Snape groaned, but he was smiling. "Lil and Sev, two peas in a pod," he said softly, recalling Mrs. Evans saying that long ago about himself and Lily as children together. It was as true now as it was then, and he hoped that unlike their namesakes, these two would grow up happy and healthy, cherished and loved, in a world free of darkness and shadows.

If I have anything to say about it, they will, vowed the Director of the DHI, then he put an arm about his son and together they went into the kitchen to make breakfast. Typical Gryffindor, he thought fondly. Trust him to find the most flamboyant yet touching way possible to express his gratitude. But then he looked at the picture again and smiled. It was good to know that at least two of his students appreciated their former professor enough to look behind the mask and realize that good guys did not always dress in white robes or wear shining armor. Some good guys wore black, just to be contrary, for in the end it was the heart that mattered.

The End.
Chapter End Notes:
Journey's end and thanks to all who reviewed this fic, you rock! What did you think of Harry's letter? And the names of the twins?