Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is Chapter 4. Sorry it is so short!
Chapter 4

Draco spent the morning writing correspondences. He wrote a letter to Blaise and another to Crabbe and Goyle. His two cronies had to share a letter, as Draco hoped together they would be able to read it. He had just started on the letter to his mother when there was a knock at his door.

“Come in.” He knew it would be Professor Snape, since Potter would never come see him for any reason while he was in this particular bedroom. Draco pondered how lucky he was to have randomly chosen the only room in Grimmauld Place that Potter seemed physically unable to walk into. He knew the other boy hated the room because it had belonged to his recently deceased godfather, Draco’s own Cousin, Sirius Black.

The bedroom door slowly opened and Severus stepped in. “Draco, you have left your potion research project unattended for two days now. I would not normally remind anyone to tend to their own assignment, but as I have some concerns about its sudden rapid boiling, I would appreciate it if you would see to it immediately.”

“Yeah, I know. Rapid boiling would be normal at this stage and it has two more hours to do so. I was going to take care of it after lunch.” Draco resumed his letter writing, telling his mother how dreadful the Black house was and how miserable it was living with Potter.

“You will take yourself and your writing to the potions lab. Boiling cauldrons are not to be left unattended. It was fine when it was simmering, but now it needs to be watched.”

“Aren’t you in the lab? You could watch it for me.” Draco looked up, hopeful that he would be allowed to remain where he was.

“I most certainly will not! You may consider yourself lucky that I came to advise you of its delicate state as it is. Now get downstairs!” With that said Severus left the room and made a point of leaving the door wide open, a clear indication that Draco was to follow.

In exasperation Draco gathered his letter writing supplies and followed Severus to the lab. He quickly checked on his potion experiment and found everything to be right on target. He sat down at the worktable nearest his potion and went back to the letter he was writing to his mother.

Dearest Mother,

I hope this missive finds you well. I trust that you have heard from father by now or at least his legal council. I’m still mystified as to how the Ministry could just send him off to Azkaban even after father’s convincing grounds about being under Imperius. The fact that the only person brought to harm was an escaped convict makes it even more ridiculous that anyone face punishment. Since I’m not judge or jury I suppose I have little sway over the outcome of father’s trial. I’m sure if we only stand strong together, as Malfoys are wont to do, then we will have a positive conclusion.

On to other issues, I am still not allowed back to school. The Governors are meeting this evening and I hope that we are called forward to testify in our own defense. ‘We’ being I and Professor Snape. I could care less if Potter gets to say anything to the Governors and am secretly hoping he gets expelled. An expelled Potter is a much happier Draco.

I have questioned Professor Snape and that poor excuse for a Headmaster several times as to why I am not allowed to return home during my temporary expulsion. Professor Snape insists that I need to stay with him so that I can continue my education. Again, I’m sorry that I cannot give you my exact location, I just find myself unable to do so. My location is obviously protected by a Fidelius Charm. Although I do know I’m at the Black house, I cannot for the life of me remember where it is located. As a fun little side-project, I’m looking into ways to destroy that hideous Black women’s portrait. Although I side with her views on blood purity, she is just down-right annoying at times.

I am quite miserable constantly being in Potter’s presence. He mopes around here like he’s lost his puppy. I mean, come on! His family was just killed, but from what I have gathered they were horrible people to begin with. What kind of family treats you like a house-elf? So good riddance, I say! And as for Sirius Black? He was a runaway convict with a shitty house and not much else going for him.

“Draco, are you quite done. How much could you possible have to say to someone you just wrote to yesterday?” Severus walked over and studiously eyed Draco’s potion. “Is it supposed to be this color?”

Draco looked up from his letter and stared at his professor in offensiveness. “Of course it’s supposed to be that color. Like I could make my own potion incorrectly!”

“Don’t be so touchy. Come to the kitchen and have something to eat. You can finish your letter later.” Severus turned to leave when Draco called him back.

“Professor Snape?” Draco said in a small voice.

“Yes?”

“My father, do you think they’ll let him go? I mean, I know what he is, the things he’s done, but surely they won’t keep him in that awful place. Right?” Draco had capped his ink and set his quill down.

“Draco, I will not even attempt to tell you what may or may not happen in regards to your father. As you say, you know what he is. We have talked about his,” Severus said as he walked back to Draco’s worktable and sat next the boy, “and you know how much easier it will be to live the path you have chosen without your father’s influence in your life.”

Draco sat and stared down at the letter to his mother. After a several long seconds, Severus continued.

“I should not be telling you this, as you also know what I am. The Dark Lord would be severally displeased to learn that I am allowing you to even contemplate going against his wishes and refusing to join his ranks. I should be persuading you to join as soon as you are of legal age.” Severus waited, hoping Draco would once again pronounce his solemn wish to do anything other than grovel at the Dark Lord’s feet. It wouldn’t be until Severus was absolutely convinced of Draco’s sincerity and strength that he would be allowed to inform Draco that Severus was actually a spy for the light-side of a coming war.

He knew that the young man before him already knew too much. Draco seemed to have a vast knowledge of the ‘secret’ organization, the Order of the Phoenix, as most Death Eaters did. Secrets are never really secrets, are they? Draco also thought he was positive that Severus was duping Dumbledore, and that his potion’s professor was actually spying on the Headmaster and Potter on behalf of the Dark Lord.

“You know I don’t want that. I mean Malfoys shouldn’t kiss anyone’s robe hem or get their hands bloody doing someone else’s dirty work. I…I just can’t! I know I’m not a nice person and I do enjoy cutting people down to size, but I would much prefer going about it with wealth and esteem, not unforgivables and torture!” Draco had worked himself up to such a state that he could no longer sit on his worktable stool. He stood and began pacing back and forth in front of his professor.

“Draco, your father’s release from Azkaban would mean that you would be under extreme pressure to do as he bids. Your father would want you to take the mark. Your father would want you to follow in his footsteps. He would expect that of you. Do you realize what Lucius would do to you if he knew that you harbored thoughts of refusing the mark?” Severus was now standing as well, eyeing the young man in front of him.

“My father would disown me, disinherit me!”

Severus grabbed the boy's shoulders to halt his pacing. “Do you really think that’s the worst Lucius could do? Disinherit you?”

Draco looked down at his feet, thoughts swirling through his head. “I don’t know…I guess? I mean, he wouldn’t kill me or anything? Would he?”

Severus stared into Draco’s stormy grey eyes. Would this boy’s own father kill him, his only child?

Severus took a deep breath. “I don’t know. He is certainly capable of losing his temper and doing something rash. I doubt that Lucius would kill you, though he could force you to take the mark. There are ways, Draco, to force someone to do something they do not wish to do. Threats, whether that is against you or someone you love, torture, Imperius. The possibilities are endless. Believe me, Draco, if you do not want to find yourself prostrating in front of the Dark Lord, your best course of action is to hope your father stays right where he is.”

“I know you’re right, professor, it’s just hard. He’s a Malfoy. He’s not supposed to be rotting away in Azkaban. You know, this is all Potter’s fault! If he wasn’t such a stupid Gryffindor, my father wouldn’t be in prison!” Draco sat down with a huff.

“I agree that Potter is a stupid Gryffindor, however, he is not responsible for the actions of others, especially your father. Don’t be a simpleton! You need to keep things in perspective. Your father is in Azkaban and right now that works for you and your agenda. Does it not?”

“Yes, it works,” Draco said as he stood and headed for the door. “For now.”

Severus quickly followed Draco and stopped the boy in the hallway just outside the kitchen. “It is quite possible that we may find ourselves permanently outcast from Hogwarts. Let’s put our minds and energy into this more immediate problem first, then we can worry about your father and the pros and cons of his release.”

“Yeah, alright.” Draco walked into the kitchen to find Potter already eating away at some sort of sandwich.

“So, what’s for lunch?” Draco took a seat at the table and placed his napkin on his lap.