Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry goes to spend the night at Neil's, and Sev gets a letter from an old friend, and a visit too!
Moony Arrives

"Hey, Dad?"

Severus looked up from the potion he was brewing. It was a Strengthening Solution, and for a moment, all of his attention was riveted on giving the mixture two clockwise and four counterclockwise stirs. The number and direction of the stirring was important, since a potion must be agitated correctly in order to achieve precise results.

Therefore, Severus didn't even glance up when he heard Harry's voice beside him. "What is it, Harry? I'm busy, as you can see."

"Sorry, but, uh, I just wanted to ask you something."

"And what would that be?" Severus never stopped stirring the solution, but he did tilt his head slightly, so his son would know he was listening.

"Um . . .well, since it's been a week after you grounded me and I haven't gotten into trouble since then . . ." his son began hesitantly.

"Spit it out, Harry," Severus ordered, a bit more sharply than normal. "What do you want?"

"To sleep over Neil's house tonight." Harry finished, panting slightly at finally getting the words out.

"Because?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, is it a special occasion, like his birthday, Harry? Because if so you'll have to get him a present."

"Oh. No, Dad, it's nothing like that. It's just a sleepover. Neil already asked his mom and dad and they said it was okay." Harry persuaded.

Severus considered while he finished making the draft, only answering his son when he was done and the potion was sealed in a glass bottle.

"Very well. You may stay over," Severus began and Harry whooped in glee. Until his father held up a hand. "However, you will promise me that you will behave respectably towards the adults, and I'll be speaking to Neil's parents as well. And you will also complete the list of chores I left for you on the kitchen table, Harry."

"Then I can go?"

Severus nodded. "Oh, one more thing. Tell Neil I've changed his potions lesson from three to four today, I've too much to brew to get it all done by three."

"All right. And thanks a lot, Dad!" Harry turned and bolted up the stairs. Neil had private lessons with Severus in potions, but not because he was abysmal. No, Neil was great at them and wanted to study with a Potions Master, and so Severus had agreed to give him advanced lessons.

Severus sighed and rolled his eyes as his son thundered up the stairs. Teenagers! Couldn't they ever walk normally? Although he had to admit, Neil MacIntyre was an exceedingly smart wizard, one that Sev would be happy to take as his personal apprentice once he completed his seven years with Mr. Thurgood.

The Potions Master finished decanting his solution, then locked up his lab and went to make a quick phone call to Neil's mother, Annie, reassuring himself that it was all right for Harry to stay over, etcetera. Since the MacIntyres were Muggles, Severus didn't reveal that he was a wizard to them, they thought he used to be a chemistry professor for a posh English boarding school. Neil had told him that his parents accepted the fact that their two sons were into "all that hocus pocus junk", but Severus still didn't feel comfortable revealing the fact that he was a wizard to them. So he was just Harry's father, as far as they knew.

  • * * * * * *

Harry was quite excited at the prospect of spending the whole evening over his friend's house, there was always something interesting going on there. Neil's older brother Mike had several friends who came over on a regular basis, and they enjoyed a good game of Quidditch and a good time. He quickly rushed into his room and threw some clothes and a toothbrush into a small backpack, leaning the bag next to his broom. Then he went to the living room fireplace and firecalled his friend to tell him the good news and that the time of his lesson had changed.

  • * * * * * *

"I'm glad to see Harry getting out a bit more, Sev," Aurelia said when they were eating lunch together in the kitchen. "Boys his age need to socialize, otherwise they turn into grumpy smartmouthed brats."

"Yes," Severus agreed, thinking how sulky Harry had been of late. Of course part of that was probably due to the fact that Severus had made him miss the big game, but afterwards he'd noticed a change in the boy's attitude, which was why he was allowing his son to stay over the MacIntyres.

Rosie whimpered at his feet, begging for scraps, and he petted the beagle absently. "Although there will be two someones who won't be happy Harry's leaving tonight."

Aurelia knew exactly whom he was speaking of. "Yes, well, Mia has to learn that Harry can't always be on hand to play with her and she can keep Rosie occupied and hopefully out of mischief." Mia was spending the night since both Devon and Melody would be out of town.

"Now that'd take a miracle, Aunt Relia," laughed her nephew quietly. He slipped the dog a piece of ham under the table.

"Severus, I saw that! You know table food is bad for dogs," Aurelia scolded.

"A little won't hurt," he argued, looking slightly ashamed at having been caught.

"You're turning her into a begging scamp, Sev."

"She already is that," Severus admitted, then smiled down at the little hound, who was now sitting and offering a paw, her large eyes pleading for another scrap of meat, bread, anything.

Aurelia just shook her head. "You and your son are two of a kind."

A gray owl flew in the kitchen window then, bearing a white envelope with the Hogwarts seal upon it. She landed right on Snape's shoulder and he gently took the envelope and fed her a piece of ham as well. She preened his hair then took the treat and flew off.

"Must be another forwarded letter from Poppy," mused the former professor, before he broke the seal and scanned the contents briefly.

Sure enough there was a short note from Poppy, saying that she'd forwarded this, and Severus ought to read it and not jump to conclusions, since she wouldn't have breached her confidentiality to just anyone.

Puzzled, Sev unfolded the parchment and saw that the letter was not from one of Harry's friends, but from one of his. Remus Lupin, werewolf and godfather to his namesake.

Dear Sev,

I know you and Albus had a rather nasty falling out and I'm sorry for it. I had rather been looking forward to you and I teaching together for the year. But I can understand your reasons for leaving once Poppy explained them and I just wanted you to know that I never remembered Harry as your son either. Turns out Lily placed a timed Memory Charm on me, she was a clever thing, and it's only worn off a few weeks ago.

It took me that long to persuade Warden Pomfrey to reveal your whereabouts. The woman's like a pit bull!

So I'm writing this letter asking if you'd like some company from an old friend, since I haven't been around much of late. Oh, and I'd like to see my godson too. The last memory I have of him was when he was two and had just written all over your potions text in red ink as well as himself. I'm sure he looks much different now.

Oh and I'm also bearing an olive branch from a certain meddling old coot.

Let me know when you'd like me to come over and I will.

Moony

"Is it good news, Sev?"

"Very good. Looks like Harry won't be the only one having a friend stay overnight." Then he added, "If it's all right with you?"

Aurelia waved a hand in dismissal. "Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. The more the merrier."

Severus quickly scribbled a reply and sent it off with Hedwig.

  • * * * * *

After dinner, Harry asked his father if he could fly his broom over to Neil's house. "Harry, you know Neil lives in a Muggle neighborhood. It's best if Aurelia or I drive you."

"But Dad, you could cast a Don't See Me Charm over me and then you wouldn't have to drive," Harry pointed out.

"True, but Harry, I have to go and pick up Mia, so it'd be no trouble for me to drop you off at Neil's," Aurelia said. "Bring your broom along in the backseat."

"Okay, Aunt Relia," Harry agreed, not wanting to push the issue.

"Are you all packed, dear?"

The young wizard fought back a grin. Aurelia made it sound as if he were going to stay for a week. "Yes." He rose from his chair and began gathering up the plates and bringing them to the sink to wash.

Once that was done, Aurelia and Harry left for their respective destinations, leaving Severus alone to await Remus's arrival.

Severus seated himself on the couch in front of the fireplace, musing on how long it had been since he'd seen his friend. Nearly a year, since Remus was traveling about, he couldn't seem to keep a job more than a few months due to the werewolf prejudice. And Severus's own job as professor and spy kept him too busy to spare the time to go visit friends, even his oldest and best one. But they did keep in touch by post. Lily's death had created a great void, and their friendship did much to alleviate the pain her death had caused the both of them.

Severus checked his watch, Remus was due any minute now. He was traveling by Floo, like Severus and Harry had, since he couldn't Apparate such a long distance. Rosie jumped up on the couch and curled up next to the Potions Master. He stroked her soft fur and she snuggled, putting her little head on his knee. There were few dogs quite as loving and affectionate as beagles, Severus thought.

"You're lucky you're cute, puppy," murmured the tall man, rubbing her behind her ears now. "Otherwise I'd have made a rug out of your hide by now," he growled threateningly.

Rosie was not fooled by the seemingly harsh words though. She knew he was not serious and she loved and respected him as much as she did her boy Harry.

Suddenly, the puppy sat straight up on the couch and whimpered, looking at the fireplace.

A moment later, Professor Lupin stepped through the green flames and out of the fireplace.

"Hello, Sev. Long time no see, eh?"

Severus rose to greet his old friend, but Roise beat him to it. She frisked up to the newcomer, wrinkling her nose. The man smelled different, like ashes and some other scent that she wasn't familiar with, a dangerous scent, like a mad alpha. She inhaled sharply, then backed away, whining and growling a little.

"Rosie!" Snape scolded, eyeing the puppy sternly.

"Don't blame her, Sev. Most dogs don't care for werewolves, the bloodlust scent must still cling to me." Remus was dressed in a pair of blue trousers and a matching shirt. He looked the same as always, save the gray in his hair was more pronounced. The werewolf eyed his friend, noting that Severus seemed more relaxed and the lines in his face left by Lily's death had been smoothed over, he looked better than he ever had. "Looks like fatherhood agrees with you, Sev."

"It always did," said the other man. He caught the other in a rough embrace. "It's good to see you again, Remus. Are the brats driving you up the wall yet?"

Remus laughed at the Potion Master's description of the students. "I've been tempted by a few of them to turn furry and scare the blazes out of them. Especially the third period Gryffindor-Slytherin class. Bloody hell, Severus, but they bicker like cats and dogs."

"Tell me about it."

"I don't understand why Albus pairs them together, he knows what they're like."

"I asked him about that once," Severus said sourly, taking a seat on the couch and beckoning Remus to do the same. The werewolf set down his bag and came over. "He told me that you learn a lot from your adversaries that way. Personally, I think he just loves to drive his staff insane and see if they crack under the pressure."

"Well, so far I've been holding up, but holy Merlin, some days I just want to bang their little heads together."

"Believe me, Moony, I know the feeling," said Severus emphatically. "And then you get to have the joy of trying to read their atrocious handwriting on your homework assignments and tests. I started taking points off because I couldn't read some of them."

Rosie sniffed around Remus's shoes, her tail slowly wagging, and then she sprang up on the couch and thrust her nose into his hand, asking to be petted. She had apparently decided that if Severus accepted this new person, she would also.

Remus stared at her in surprise. "Well, I'll be damned. First time a dog's done that in ages."

"That's Harry's beagle. She loves people and I guess beagles don't discriminate," Severus smiled. "I call her Rosie the Wrecker, because she can wreck your house in two minutes flat when she's bored. Right, terror?"

He rumpled Rosie's ears affectionately. The beagle gazed up at him adoringly.

Remus bit back a laugh, for the last time he'd seen that expression on a human face, it had been Severus's looking at Lily on their wedding day. "Speaking of Harry, where is he?"

"Over at a friend's house spending the night."

"You really have mellowed, Sev." Remus whistled. "I can remember a time when you wouldn't let Harry out of sight of the house. And here I find you actually let him sleep over a friend's house."

"He's thirteen now, Moony. Old enough not to need my constant supervision."

"You sure about that, Sev? When I look back on all the things we did when we were thirteen . . .we needed a zoo keeper, I think."

"Maybe Black did," Severus disagreed. "Harry's got more sense than he ever did, though. Black was all hormones and impulse at that age. But Harry thinks a bit before he acts. Sometimes."

"You know this means that one day you're going to have to reciprocate, Sev?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, now that Harry slept over his friend's, you're going to have to return the favor and have his friend sleep over here one night," Remus pointed out, his dark eyes dancing.

Severus stared at him in horror. "Oh, dear God, no!" He groaned. "Why did I ever tell him yes?"

Just then they heard the front door open and Mia and Aurelia came in.

Mia made a beeline for Severus. "Sev, guess what? I got a hundred on my reading test today and nobody else did!" She was waving the paper about triumphantly. "See? See?"

Severus reached out an arm and drew the excited child onto his lap. "Settle down now, hummingbird," he ordered, for Mia was fluttering just like one of the pretty birds. "Now let me see this test of yours, brilliant child."

He examined the test and coughed and then nodded in approval. "Well done, Mia."

She beamed. "Grandma says I'm the smartest five-year-old she's ever known."

"She's right," agreed her cousin.

"She gave me five bucks," Mia announced, then looked pointedly at her cousin.

Remus struggled not to laugh, smothering his chuckle behind his hand. Clearly the child knew just how to wrap the supposedly strict teacher about her little finger.

"Yes, well, that's what grandmothers do," Severus said, knowing exactly what the little girl was hinting at.

"How about cousins, Sev?"

"Umm . . ." Severus was at a loss for words, but then he rallied. "Tell you what, we'll go to Sundaes for ice cream, and you can have the biggest sundae they make."

"Awesome! Thanks, Sev." She threw her arms about his neck and hugged him. "When can we go?"

"In an hour or so." Severus held her for a moment, then he gently removed her arms from his neck and turned her on his lap to face Remus. "Mia, this is my best friend, Remus Lupin. He'll be visiting us for a few days. Can you say hello?"

"Hi, I'm Mia Barry. My mom and Sev are cousins and that makes me his cousin too," she explained to the lycanthrope. "How'd you get here, Mr. Lupin? I didn't see a car."

"Uh . . ." he glanced questioningly at Severus. Does she know about us? At the other's nod, he relaxed and replied, "I didn't need a car, Mia, since I used the Floo Network."

"Oh, you mean the fireplace. Sev told me about that one, only he said you don't really come down the chimney like Santa, just through green fire. So, you're a wizard too. So am I."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Mia." Remus shook her little hand. "You never told me you had a witch cousin this side of the Atlantic, Severus."

"That's because no one knew she was one until I came here. She's Muggleborn and they had no way of testing her," Severus explained.

"But Severus knew right away, just by looking at me."

"Wizard Sight, little one," Remus smiled. "We always know one of our own."

"Really? Then how come I didn't know until you told me?"

"Your magic isn't fully awake yet, Mia," explained Remus. "When it is, you can learn how to sense another wizard or witch."

"And talk to animals," Mia added. "Sev told me some witches can do that and I really want to." She reached out and hugged Rosie, who licked her. "Then I could have a real conversation with Rosie."

"That'll be real enlightening. The only thing on that one's mind is food and shredding things." Severus rolled his eyes. He set the little girl down. "Why don't you take Rosie for a walk around the yard, imp? Tire her out before she spies my new leather boots and decides to make them her lunch."

"Okay! I'll get the leash," Mia ran into the kitchen, calling, "Rosie, want to go outside for a walk?"

The word "walk" acted like an electric shock. The beagle bounded up off the couch and tore off into the kitchen, baying happily.

Then Aurelia came in to greet her new houseguest and offer some refreshments. One pot of tea and some delicious home-made peach cranberry biscuits later, the adults were quite comfortable together, playing a card game called 65 on the kitchen table.

Severus examined his hand of cards and discarded one, hoping his son was behaving himself at the MacIntyre's.

Chapter End Notes:
Next up, the unexpected wild party at the MacIntyres!