Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Severus and Harry discuss Harry's upcoming class schedule and Sev warns Harry to be alert and ready for anything.
Warnings

Pomona and Minerva, who rolled her eyes at her colleague's typical theatrics, moved to assist Trelawney up from the floor. Luckily, her many scarves had cushioned her head when she fell and she was able to sit up after a moment, blinking woozily behind her overlarge spectacles.

"Sybill, honestly!" Minerva sighed. "Must you make a spectacle of yourself in front of the children?"

"B-but Minerva!" gasped the Divination teacher, her bosom heaving dramatically. "Did you not hear? Albus said-he said Harry Potter is no more!"

"He said nothing of the sort, Sybill," huffed Minerva. She had no patience for the other woman's dramatic flare and fondness for fainting on a whim. "He simply said that the boy we knew as Harry Potter did not exist."

"Ah!" Trelawney put a hand to her head as she resumed her seat, looking like death warmed over. "There, you see! Now the prophecy I had has been proven false, for the child no longer exists as I foretold."

Severus couldn't take any more of the woman's babbling. "Sybill, for God's sake!" he snapped, looming over her like a bird of prey over a terrified rabbit. Sybill squeaked. "Quit acting like the world is coming to an end simply because your vaunted Sight-" here Severus's lip curled. "-didn't see fit to inform you that Harry Potter is my son. Whose real name happens to be Harrison Remus Snape, but he is still the boy you dubbed the Chosen One."

"Yes, but before he was Harry Potter. . . " began Sybill.

Snape rolled his eyes. "Ah, Merlin grant me patience," he growled. Then he leaned closer to Trelawney and hissed, "Professor, a rose by any other name . . . have you never heard the saying?" his tone implied that if she hadn't, Trelawney was a pathetic excuse for a teacher. "Whether you call him Harry Potter or Harry Snape, he is still the bloody boy of your confounded prophecy, is that clear?" Sybill gulped and nodded. "Good. Now for the love of Merlin, do try and compose yourself, Sybill. I don't know why you seem so shocked, you knew about all of this beforehand."

"I assure you, Severus, I had no idea!" Trelawney protested weakly. "No one bothered to inform me of this-this recent development."

Snape eyed the rest of the staff disapprovingly. "Which one of you was supposed to tell her?"

The others coughed and muttered and looked down at their plates, for all the world like several guilty schoolchildren caught in misbehavior by their stern father.

"I-I believe I asked Filius to-" began Pomona.

"Yes, but I was too busy, and I thought perhaps Minerva . . ."

Minerva sniffed. "Don't blame me for this, Filius. You know perfectly well I am far too busy to act like an owl."

Severus wanted to hit something, but he settled for one of his patented death glares instead. "Never mind! All of you have the worst excuses I've ever heard. Not that it matters much anyhow. What's done is done and the truth is known at last. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have supper with my son in my quarters for tonight."

He straightened to his full height and then swept out of the hall, black robes billowing behind him, practically dragging Harry along.

Harry winced at his father's grip. "Ow! Dad, not so hard! I need my hand, you know."

Severus loosened his grip a fraction and muttered a sorry. But he didn't release his son's arm until they reached the doorway to his personal quarters, where he whispered a password and the door unlocked and they stepped inside.

Rosie sprang off the couch where she'd been curled up in a ball and ran to them, greeting them in typical beagle fashion, by jumping up and licking them.

"I apologize for hauling you out of there without so much as a by your leave, Harry, but after Trelawney's little scene, I figured you were as anxious to get away as I was," Severus began, ruffling Rosie's floppy ears before taking a seat on the couch.

Harry nodded and flopped down next to his father. "Yeah, I felt like the main attraction at the circus." He sighed, wondering if his life would ever be normal again. He suddenly wished he had never decided to leave New Jersey and return to Hogwarts.

Severus nodded in understanding and summoned Dobby to bring them dinner. "Why don't we eat and then we can discuss your class schedule, Harry."

Harry agreed, though the last thing on his mind right then was his upcoming classes. He was more worried about his friends' and Housemates' reactions to the fact that he was Snape's son. Ron and Hermione he really wasn't too worried about, they'd had plenty of time to adjust to the idea during the six months he'd been over in America. The rest of them, however . . .He shook his head. They would simply have to learn to deal with it.

While they waited for the food to arrive, Harry turned to Severus and asked if he'd known that Moony had a niece before now.

"No, he never mentioned her to me, just that he had an older brother named Renee, who was a Magical Creatures biologist and photographer. I assumed they didn't see much of each other because his brother traveled a lot and perhaps he was ashamed to have a werewolf in the family, as is the case sometimes."

Harry snorted, to him Remus's furry problem wasn't that big of a deal. "But didn't the Headmaster say that Uncle Moony was her guardian now too?"

"Yes, I believe so. Obviously something must have happened to her father and mother," Severus said quietly. "I'm sure that Remus will inform me if he wishes. It is something I need to know seeing as I'm her Head of House."

"Bet that was a shock, huh, Dad?"

"No. While some families are Sorted into the same House, it isn't always the case, and if the Hat put her in Slytherin, it must have had a good reason."

By then the food had arrived, tender beef fillets in a béarnaise sauce along with carrots and peas and roasted potatoes. Harry quickly filled his plate with some of everything, he was starving. Must be getting a growth spurt or whatever, he thought as he devoured his beef. He certainly hoped he would grow taller, he hated being the shortest kid in his year.

Snape was pleased to see his son eating with a normal appetite, during the summer, he had noticed Harry used to pick at his food, eating very little at mealtimes. That was because Harry had been starved and malnourished for over half his childhood, and in order to repair the damage Severus had resorted to giving the boy Nutrient Potions and a vial of a mild Stomach Expander, thus enabling Harry to get the vitamins and minerals he needed and also to eat normal meals. Now that was no longer necessary, and Harry ate like a typical teenager.

"Harry, eat your vegetables," put in Severus swiftly, when the boy began to reach for a second helping of the beef.

"Dad!" his son groaned. "You know I don't really like carrots. Or peas."

"Yes, you used to give me a hard time eating them when you were two also," Snape acknowledged. "However, you're eating them now. Or else I can give you another Nutrient Potion," he added slyly, knowing Harry hated that particular potion.

"Ugh! No thanks!" Harry shuddered. "I'll eat the damn carrots." He speared some with his fork and chewed, grimacing slightly.

Severus watched until he had finished the entire portion, then allowed Harry to take seconds of the fillet. "You need to eat more vegetables, Harry. They provide you with essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. All things which you need to stay healthy."

Harry rolled his eyes somewhat, that was a familiar speech. "Okay, Dr. Snape," he drawled.

"Cheeky brat," his father grumbled, then fed the begging beagle a small piece of beef, happy that Aurelia wasn't there to see, she'd have scolded him for feeding the dog table scraps. But really, Rosie was too cute to resist sometimes.

For dessert there was Harry's favorite vanilla treacle tart with whipped cream and tea. After that, Severus asked Harry about his class schedule. "You have the option of picking two electives this term, Harry."

"I know. I'm going to take Care of Magical Creatures," Harry told him. Then he added hesitantly, "And I was thinking . . .maybe Divination?"

Severus snorted disgustedly. "Are you sure you want to waste your time with that-that ambiguous nonsense? I think you'd find Ancient Runes or Arithmancy much more useful."

"Umm . . ." The truth was, Harry only opted for Divination because he hoped to learn more about the prophecy Trelawney had made, not because he believed in her ability to foretell the future, and also Ron had told him Divination was a joke, you could sleep the whole class and not miss anything. "Well, I'd like to try it and see whether or not it's all it's cracked up to be. After all, no knowledge is ever wasted," Harry replied, tossing one of Snape's pet phrases back at him.

"Humph! Very well, far be from me to discourage you, you'll learn soon enough the old fraud doesn't know enough to fill one of her teacups. Divination is a most imprecise art, which is why I don't put any stock in prophecies and such."

"But surely there are some Seers who are the real thing."

"Yes, but a true Seer is as rare as finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Sybill has only predicted true once that I know of, hardly a sterling recommendation. Be that as it may, you're old enough to make up your own mind when it comes to your schedule." He perused the piece of parchment which listed Harry's classes this term. "Let's see. You have Potions with me Monday and Wednesday mornings, Transfiguration after lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Herbology on Wednesday and Friday, Care of Magical Creatures on Wednesday, History of Magic on Monday and Tuesday, Charms on Thursday and Friday, Divination on Monday as well. Defense with Remus also on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

"Uh, Dad, what happens now in your class?" Harry asked cautiously. "Are you still gonna be on my back every lesson?"

"Only if you're not paying attention, Mr. Snape. Otherwise I will not be as antagonistic as I have been in the past. Most of that was an act for my role as a pretend Death Eater, Harry, but now that is a pretense I no longer need maintain and so I will use slightly different teaching methods than I have been before. But make no mistake, Harry, you act up with your little friends in my class and I'll slap you with a detention so fast it'll make your head spin," warned Severus. "Just because you're my son does not entitle you to special treatment, and if you break rules, you will suffer the consequences."

"I understand, Dad," Harry said softly. In a way he was relieved that Severus wouldn't treat him any differently than the others, he was quite tired of being singled out for one thing or another. Then too, he was sure to get better marks in Potions this time, since he'd had the advantage of studying with his father for six months. He had learned a great deal from the professor during that time, and he was eager to put what he'd learned into practice and show Hermione that she wasn't the only one who could brew a decent potion.

"I don't think I need to remind you to behave in your other classes, do I? Because I'm sure you remember my rule from when Aunt Relia tutored you-if you earn detention from another teacher, Harry, you also earn a punishment from me as well," Severus reminded.

"I know." He made a face at his parent. "Why didn't anybody ever tell me it was such a pain in the butt being the son of a professor? No other kid has to worry about getting in trouble twice."

Severus smirked. "You won't need to worry, Harry, if you do as you're told and respect your teachers. Though I'd suggest you watch your back, son. Now that the Death Eater children know I'm opposed to them, they might try and take out that frustration on you, who will be seen as the son of a traitor as well as the Boy Who Lived."

"Oh great! Just what I needed to hear, Dad."

"I'm telling you this so you can be prepared, Harry, for forewarned is forearmed. Carry your wand with you at all times, and when you go to sleep, keep it under your pillow," instructed the Potions Master.

Harry gave him a look. "Under my pillow, Dad? You're being paranoid."

Severus frowned. "I'm serious, Harry. This is nothing to take lightly. Do what I say and you'll be safe. Don't go anywhere by yourself, make sure you have at least one friend with you, or you let someone know where you are. Black is at large still, and there's no telling what he will do." The Potions Master pulled out a small silver amulet shaped like a lily from a pocket and handed it to Harry.

"What's this?"

"It belonged to your mother, it's a charm of protection and defense. She gave it to me when I began my spying for the Order, it's saved me numerous times. Now I give it to you. Wear it always, don't take it off. It will protect you from most harmful hexes, jinxes and curses, save for the Unforgivables, and provided a measure of immunity from some common poisons as well."

"Thanks," Harry said sincerely, and slid the silver amulet about his neck. He hoped he wouldn't need to resort to it, but it was good to know that if he needed it, it was there. "But what about you, Dad?"

"Don't worry about me, Harry. I have my own protections in place, I can afford to give you Lily's amulet. She would have wanted you to have it." A brief wistful look of longing flitted across his face at the mention of his beloved wife.

Harry smiled, profoundly touched by his father's gesture, which showed him more than words how much Severus loved him. He vowed that he would be worthy of that love, which he'd never known until Severus had taken him away last summer. His hand stroked the lily amulet and he fancied he could feel the magic wrapping about him, surrounding him with his mother's presence.

"You aren't the first student to have a parent on staff, Harry. There have been a few others since Hogwarts was founded. That being so, you will continue to sleep in Gryffindor Tower with your Housemates, however, if you ever need me, any time of the night or the day, you may come to me. For you, my door is always open. And my couch is always available. I have informed Minerva of this, so she will not worry if she finds you missing one night after curfew." He pushed a flat silver disk engraved with a green snake and a striped cat over to his son. It was about the size of a quarter. "Simply leave this on your pillow before coming to me and McGonagall will know you are here. The token is our secret sign."

Harry slipped the token into his pocket. On second thought, perhaps having a professor as a parent wasn't half bad. Rosie whined and jumped on him, and he cuddled her. "Hey, what about Rosie? What do I do with her during class?"

Snape eyed the little hound, then snapped his fingers. "She can stay with Hagrid while you're in class and I'm teaching. He'll play with her and take her for a long walk, and hopefully tire her out enough so she won't be so inclined to mischief."

"Great idea, Dad," Harry said. "She can play with Fang and hunt with him." Then he recalled the Forbidden Forest was very near Hagrid's hut. "But I don't want her going into the Forest. Something might try and eat her."

"I'll put a charm on her collar that will keep her on the grounds," Severus soothed. "Too bad I don't know one that will keep her from eating shoes."

Harry laughed. "She's not as bad as she used to be."

"Sure she's not," grumbled the professor. "She only chews up one or two pairs a week instead of six. A vast improvement."

"Only when she's bored and left alone." Harry defended.

"Then I suggest you never leave her in such a situation, Harry. Because we all know that a bored beagle is a recipe for disaster." Severus shuddered just thinking what mayhem a bored beagle could cause in the castle, running about unsupervised.

"Then I'm allowed to have her in my room with me?"

"Of course. She's your dog and your responsibility. Just warn your friends to put away their shoes and socks otherwise they'll waste half the morning repairing them or searching for them. And keep her away from Filch as much as possible, he has no love for dogs."

Harry bit back a laugh imagining Rosie chasing Filch's nasty cat, Mrs. Norris, all through the castle. "All right. Rosie will behave, won't you, girl?"

The beagle gazed at her master adoringly and bayed softly.

"Sure she will. When she's asleep," remarked Snape sarcastically. He glanced at the clock on the wall. "Best you get back up to your common room, Harry. You'll need a full night's sleep if you're going to be ready for classes tomorrow." He handed Harry back the parchment with his schedule printed on it.

Harry rose, setting Rosie down, and went over to hug his father. "Night, Dad. Pleasant dreams."

Severus held his son close for a moment. "Good night, son. Sleep well, child." Then he turned the thirteen-year-old about and sent him off with a gentle swat. "Get, before you're in violation of curfew, young man."

Harry scooped up Rosie and left, his heart a bit easier after that little chat and dinner with his father. Now the only thing he had to deal with tonight were the reactions of his Housemates.

Chapter End Notes:
Next up, the Gryffindors reaction to Harry's surprising news that Severus is his father.