Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Grins Sheepishly
Sorry - I know I said it was finished but I just couldn't leave it alone ... I couldn't kick that poor little plot bunny out onto the street now could I?

P.s. I absolutely can't do baby talk so you'll have to imagine it I'm afraid - sorry xxx
Chapter 2

Harry sighed and pushed his few remaining Bertie Botts beans across the table to Luna.

“How can you win absolutely every time?” he complained.

Luna laughed and chewed on the end of a rather unpleasant looking green coloured bean. “Do you really think all we do in Ravenclaw is study?” the ashamed look on his face said it all. “I thought as much” she continued airily “We also play cards rather a lot.”

Harry glared, “and you couldn’t have told me that before I lost all of my beans?” She smirked at him. “Slytherin,” he muttered.

“Speaking of which,” giggled Luna, “I think your three hours are almost up. You’ve lost all of your sweets and now you’re going to loose your money too. I hope you’ve budgeted for my present.”

Harry grinned, “Nope, I stand by my bet. He’ll be here.”

Luna looked at him curiously. “Do you know something I don’t?” she asked.

Harry beamed. “One word. Nappies.”

Luna laughed. “Is it too late to change my bet” she grumbled.

Harry nodded. “I do hope you budgeted for my Christmas present” he mimicked. “Anyway, I’m never going to beat you at cards, let’s play something else.”

Twenty minutes later their game of Scrabble was interrupted by the portrait hole banging open. Before either student looked around they knew precisely who it was. Everybody had gone home for Christmas but the two of them, the headmistress and the recently returned Snape.

“Potter!” came the roar from the entrance to the common room. Harry cringed. Almost a year on the run and fighting death eaters, but Snape could still make him feel like an incompetent first year.

“Yes sir?” Harry responded in forced calm as he turned around to face his teacher. Snape marched over and grabbed him by the arm dragging him out of the room without another word. Harry stuck his tongue out at Luna who snickered. The man didn’t let go of Harry’s arm as he marched towards the dungeons. He spat a password at the portrait and threw Harry inside. Harry couldn’t contain a chuckle at the carnage he saw. The floor was covered in ripped pages of books, looking rather like confetti as well as remnants of anything else that James had been able to get his hands on. He turned to Snape who was standing, glaring at him

“You might want to consider baby-proofing” he commented quietly, his amusement showing in his voice. He spotted James in a corner, quietly cuddling his favourite cuddly snake, his face tear streaked. “How’s my little James?” he called, bending down and putting his arms out. The little boy ran towards Harry without hesitation. He scooped him up and the little boy buried his face in Harry’s shoulder. “Hey, it’s ok kiddo, what’s wrong?” he cooed, stroking the toddler’s hair. He sat down in a chair and turned James round to face him gesturing for Snape to stay quiet.

“I made Daddy cross” the toddler sobbed. “He shouted then went to get you to take me away” one glance at the ashen face of his teacher told Harry that that wasn’t anything like what Snape was trying to do.

“Shhh, its ok, calm down my little Jamie” Harry soothed as he cuddled the small boy close and stoked his back. “Better now?” he asked once the sobs subsided. James nodded. “Good” Harry pulled a tissue from his pocket and dried the little boy’s face. “Now daddy doesn’t want to get rid of you, he’s just a bit confused. He hasn’t had a little boy to look after before and he doesn’t know how to do it. When I first started looking after you I had all of my friends to help me. I even had to have Aunt Mione look in books.” He whispered the last part in mock horror making the little boy giggle “Now, daddy was trying to work out how to look after you and he hasn’t even got an Aunt Mione, so he was doing even worse than I did. Do you understand?” the little boy nodded, wide eyed. “Clever boy” Harry praised ruffling his hair affectionately “So, if your daddy does something that makes you feel sad, you can tell me and we’ll talk to him and tell him what he’s supposed to do. Ok?” The little boy nodded again.

Harry hugged him, and then smelt an unpleasant smell. “I think we’ll start off by showing daddy how to change your nappy.” He picked up James and put him on his hip. “Where’s your bathroom daddy” Harry asked Snape, proud of the way that he managed to remember to address him in a James-friendly way. Snape appeared quite pale as he led them through to a small bathroom and Harry showed him how to change the nappy. “Oh, come on, it’s not as bad as disembowelling toads” he commented. Deciding that Snape really was too shaken up to take the lead Harry turned to him.

“I think it would be a good idea if Luna watched James for awhile, while we get this place sorted out.”

Snape looked doubtful but the usual sneer was missing. “Miss Lovegood?” he queried. Harry nodded. “Are you sure that’s safe?”

Harry laughed. “Definitely. She and Jamie get on brilliantly. She could watch him down here if it would make you feel better” Snape nodded, looking relieved. Harry leaned over so that James wouldn’t hear him and asked, “Do you want me to take him for a bit? Let you get yourself sorted out?”

Snape nodded looking extremely grateful.

“Come on then James, we’ll go find Aunt Luna and be back here in about an hour. Give daddy a hug goodbye.” James ran over and hugged Snape’s legs before taking Harry’s hand and walking out of the room, leaving a very shaken potions master in their wake.

“Minerva,” called Snape as he stumbled out of the floo into the headmistress’s office.

“Severus?” McGonagall asked, appearing from a side door. “You look awful, have a seat.” He did as he was bid. “Now why isn’t young Jamie with you?”

Snape hung his head in his hands. “Potter’s got him” came the muffled reply.

McGonagall looked thoroughly confused. “But he returned to the tower with Miss Lovegood hours ago.” The man nodded into his hands. McGonagall sighed “Something’s happened” Snape nodded “Care to tell me?” The man looked up

“I frightened him” he shaking man admitted. “I left him alone and he destroyed some of my books. I got angry and I shouted at him. He hid in a corner from me. He’s scared of me.” He whispered his voice cracking. McGonagall squeezed his shoulder

“Now I’m sure it can’t be as bad as all that. How does Harry come into it?”

“I didn’t have any idea what to do when he was crying in the corner. I left him there and went to get Potter. Once he got there he made some snide remark about baby-proofing then managed to comfort James, and then James told him that he thought that I didn’t want him and that I was going to send him away with Potter. I'm no better than my father” He turned his head to his hands to hide he tears that were flowing down his face. McGonagall put an arm round his shaking shoulders.

“That is utter nonsense and you know it. You didn't mean to upset him .Anyway, what’s done is done. What you need to do now is make sure he poor little thing understands that you do want him. What happened once he had said that?”

“Potter cheered him up and told him that I didn’t know what I was doing, I think, here.” He summoned Dumbledore’s pensive and added some of his memories, then sat anxiously while the headmistress viewed them. McGonagall returned chuckling.

“Remind me to apologise to Harry. The number of times he told me James had destroyed his homework and I didn’t believe him.” Snape scowled.

“Can we get back to the matter of my son being terrified of me?” McGonagall shook her head

“He isn’t Severus, not at all. You have Harry to thank for that. He explained it quite nicely, I thought.” Snape nodded, not looking much happier. “But there’s something else isn’t there?"

"Yes" Snape admitted "I can't do this. You saw how Potter was with him, I can't do that. I haven't got the first idea how to talk to such a small child, let alone be a father to one"

"That's as close to a compliment as Harry's ever going to get from you isn't it." McGonagall commented wryly. "You could ask him for help you know" Snape scowled "You know it's a good idea really. I haven't had any experience of looking after small children. Harry has been changing the Gryffindor tower into a crèche with James up there all the time and Teddy there at weekends. He's something of an expert after all this time."

"Why did it have to be Potter?" he grumbled. McGonagall appeared to fight the impulse to pound her head against something.

"Not this again. Imagine for a moment that Harry hadn't taken him. He would have just arrived here from an orphanage, completely alone and frightened. If he had been upset he wouldn't have had anyone to comfort him and explain things. You really are lucky that he has Harry to rely on until he gets used to you.Stop this self pitying. It isn't doing anyone any favours. Take a walk or something and calm down. Harry gave you an hour to get yourself under control and I am seconding that. Today has been stressful for you, go on shoo. You still have forty minutes before Harry and Miss Lovegood bring James back." She took him by the shoulders and steered him out of the office.

---

Harry ran up to Gryffindor tower with James Squealing in delight on his shoulders. The little boy yelled the password and Harry bounced in through the portrait hole.

"Hello Jamie" said Luna, looking up from her book. Harry found he little boy some toys to play with hen sat down next to her "How'd it go?" she whispered.

"He decided to do his usual job as a shredder. Snape got cross and James got upset. Snape seemed pretty shaken up so I said I’d take him for a bit. Anyway, as hard as you are trying to make me forget our little bet I won't. Pay up." Luna grumbled but threw a sickle at his head. "Play nice." He laughed. They both moved to sit on the floor and play with James. Harry watched in amusement as Luna showed James pictures of nargles and crumple horned snorlacks. He didn't want to be the one to tell Snape about that.

"Luna" Harry called once it was time to return James. "Can you baby-sit Jamie down in Snape’s quarters while I help him baby proof?" Luna grinned

“Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss it for the world. We should bring some of his things so that Snape can set up a room for him."

"Good thinking batman," Harry laughed. "Watch the monster for a minute while I collect them." He wandered up to his room and shrank James' cot and a selection of his toys and books. He stuck them in his pocket and wandered back down. He put James on his back and offered Luna a hand up. "Come on, we've got to go find daddy," he called leading the way out of the portrait hole. Luna snorted and covered her mouth.

"I just hope we can find our way down there" Harry commented as they walked through the corridors "I didn't really get a chance to admire the scenery on the way down there."

"He dragged you all the way down there?" Luna laughed. Harry nodded. Rounding the corner he spotted McGonagall.

"Ah, I'm glad I bumped into you three" she said with a smile. "Could I have a word a moment Harry?" Harry nodded. He put James on the floor and told him to wait with Luna before heading around a corner and out of earshot.

"What can I do for you ma'am?" he asked."Please can you go easy on Severus? He was quite upset about the incident earlier. He doesn't have much confidence in himself as a father. Please try to help him some. You did well earlier; I watched it in a pensive." Harry ginned.

"Brilliant. So, is he really too innocent to rip things up. Things like, oh I don't know, homework assignments for transfiguration."

"No, I apologise. You must admit it does seem unlikely though.”

Harry grinned, "Absolutely. I don't think the monster realises how lightly he got away with that. Had it been anyone else they'd have been in various jars by now." They both laughed "Alright, I’ll be nice. I’d better be going though before he disembowels Luna and me for being late. I don't think James should have to witness that."

"Good luck" she called to the retreating figure.

“Good afternoon,” Harry greeted cheerfully as Snape allowed them into his quarters.

“Hi Daddy,” James said shyly from behind Harry’s legs. Snape sighed and knelt next to him.

“James, I’m very sorry for upsetting you,” he said, sounding choked, “I didn’t mean to.” James beamed.

“I know that Daddy. Uncle Hawy says you need a Aunt Mione.”

“Indeed,” muttered Snape standing up and ruffling James’s hair.

“Do you have a room that Luna could play with James in while we get to baby proofing?” Harry asked, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen. Snape nodded mutely and led them to a bedroom. Luna sat down on the floor with James and they quickly became engrossed in their game. Harry noticed that Snape was watching somewhat misty eyed. He tapped him on the arm and beckoned him out of the room. “You alright sir?” Snape merely inclined his head. Deciding that this silent Snape was decidedly unnerving Harry continued “I think we need to baby proof all of your rooms to prevent any more mishaps like the one this morning” Snape’s face looked pained for a moment before his face fell back to neutrality “I really wouldn’t worry about it.” Harry commented lightly, “You have no idea how many of my things he managed to destroy before we found these spells.” This didn’t seem to improve Snape’s mood and he began a staring match with the floor.

“I suppose I should thank you, Potter, for taking him in,” he muttered. Harry shrugged.

“It was nothing, really. He isn’t much trouble as long as you keep him away from anything paper based.” Snape sighed.

“Why are you doing all of this Potter?” he asked.

“Harry,” Harry corrected. “You’ll confuse James if you call me Potter.” Snape glared half-heartedly.

“Fine, Harry, my question still stands. Why would you take my son in when I have treated you so horribly all these years?” Harry smiled.

“My sub-conscious need for revenge” he replied sarcastically. “Nah, it’s just the right thing to do isn’t it. I didn’t want to force him to live in an orphanage, and staying here means that moving in with you will be less of a shock.” Snape looked frustrated.

“Why are you so kind to him though? You know how I treat you.” Harry thought for a moment before responding.

“You treated me badly because of my father, hypothetically if I had treated James badly because of his father perhaps in a few years time he would treat my children badly because of me, and then my children would treat James’s badly because of him. It could go on for generations and it is unnecessary. Anyway, I’m sure you have better things with which to occupy your time than to discuss the ins and outs of human behaviour with me. Lets get to work.”

Harry got up and wandered around the room peering at shelves and trying the doors on cupboards. “That has to go” Harry commented seeing the pile of ex-books on the floor. He waved his wand and the remnants were packed in a small box. He put it on a table and turned to Snape. “Right. Little James was a little off when he told you that I thought you needed a Hermione but she does have her uses. She looked up loads of spells for babies. This one is a personal favourite of mine. It has saved countless pieces of homework from a certain human shredder.” He demonstrated the spell on a book shelf. “You’ll want to use that on pretty much everything. It prevents anyone under ten touching the items that the spell has been cast on.” Snape nodded and he and Harry walked in and out of the rooms spelling everything. Once they were finished Harry turned to Snape. “Do you have a room for Jamie to stay in?” Snape nodded.

“I have a guest room that he can have.” He led Harry into a small room painted dark green. Harry looked around.

“It’s a bit dark for a child’s room in here.” He commented “Do you mind if we change it?”

“If you think it will help” sighed Snape. Harry beamed.

“It will. You want to come on an outing with us?” Snape looked doubtful.

“Where?”

“Paint shopping,” Harry replied happily, already going over ideas in his head “In the muggle world so you won’t need to worry about anyone recognising us.” Snape grumbled but Harry decided to take the lack of outright refusal as a yes. “We’ll go tomorrow morning. For now I think James will be getting tired, he’s had a busy day. We should go to the great hall to meet McGonagall for dinner then he can go to bed. That sound OK to you?” Snape agreed so the four went up to the great hall, James walking between Harry and Luna, holding a hand each. Every now and then Harry and Luna would lift the little boy off of the ground making him laugh. Snape walked a few metres behind them, watching the trio sadly.