Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Clan

“Relax,” Snape mumbled, holding on tighter to the wriggling cub. Harry couldn't seem to keep still. He couldn't even decide whether he wanted to hide deeper in Snape's robe or escape him altogether to explore. This was his first chance to really see where they were, and he didn't want to pass it up.

The bedroom opened onto a large, airy hallway which in turn led to a strange staircase. Instead of steps it consisted of a gently sloping ramp while the wooden floor gave way to tiles with a pebbled texture. The ramp sloped down in a wide loop, ending in a large round room. Like the ramp, it was not what one would expect in a house. The floor was made of earth and in fact had grass growing in soft green clumps. Above their heads was the open blue sky, framed by wooden beams. Harry couldn't tell if there was glass there or a spell or if the weather was allowed to come in at will but if it weren't for the stone walls or wooden beams he might have thought he was outdoors.

Despite the odd choice of flooring, there were fairly normal looking couches, chairs and tables along the edges of the room facing inwards, as well as less traditional piles of cushions, stone benches, and next to a ramp on the far side of the room there was an elaborate set up of large tree branches so that the crown of a giant tree seemed to have melted into floor. It even had broad green leaves growing from it. Harry studied the room with interest, itching to explore, while at the same time he hid beneath Snape's arms. They were not alone in this room.

Lounging on the tree branches and cushions or sitting in the chairs or standing calmly about the room were people. Some of them looked like great black panthers. Others looked like perfectly normal humans, dressed alternatively in robes or Muggle style clothes. If any of them had noticed Snape and Harry's arrival, they were doing their best to appear oblivious. Snape took no notice of them as well, carrying Harry over to a small sofa. He carefully extracted him from his robes, a task made more difficult by Harry's claws, and set him down on a cushion.

“Relax,” Snape whispered when Harry hunched up tensely, feeling naked and out in the open, “I'm right here.” Snape stayed standing, probably guessing that the moment he sat down Harry would try and dive beneath the folds of his robes again. When none of the people in the room approached them, the cub began to slowly relax. He began to feel silly again. Snape wasn't going to abandon him, none of the people were going to hurt him, so why was he acting like such a baby?

“Are you ready to meet them?” Snape asked. Harry nodded, still feeling nervous but no longer overpowered by his emotions. He half expected the strangers to mob them, pushing in to meet him like wizards did when they realized the great Harry Potter was in their presence. He always hated that. But to his surprise, he only saw one person approaching.

It was a woman, a human looking woman. Or at least, a mostly human looking woman. Like Harry, she had pointed ears and even without them there was something decidedly feline about her appearance. She also had long black hair and vivid blue eyes. Harry thought she felt calming, though still not as safe as Snape.

“Welcome, senos,” she greeted Snape.

“Welcome, sentei,” he answered in return, and then they both turned towards Harry.

“Harry, this is Basta,” Snape instructed, “Basta, this is Harry.”

“Welcome, hysenos,” Basta said to him. Harry cocked his head in confusion. She smiled and said, “Hysenos means 'little brother' in the Old Tongue of the sphinx. Hee-seh-nos. We like to greet each other in the old ways, even when we adapt to modern times.” Harry mewled, wishing he could speak. He wondered if he was supposed to learn an entire language.

“Don't worry,” Snape told him, “You have years to learn your culture. Hundreds of years, even. Basta is over five hundred years old, and she is one of the younger clan members.” Harry blinked. Somehow he had never really considered what it would mean to be so long lived. All he had been able to think about was how he would have to grow up all over again. He wasn't sure whether he liked the idea or not.

“Severus is quite the youngling of the clan,” Basta agreed, “Before you, he was the baby.”

“Youngest,” Snape corrected, his tone daring contradiction, “I was never a cub.” Harry laughed at Snape's expression. It came out as a purr. But then a thought occurred to him that made him suddenly afraid. Did that mean that Snape would not live as long as a real sphinx?

“Do not worry, hysenos,” Basta said, “We cannot know the future, but I predict Severus will live a prolonged life.” Harry relaxed slightly, but still felt troubled. He did not want to live hundreds and hundreds of years longer than all of his friends.

“May I greet you in my changed form?” Basta asked, and Harry nodded, though he didn't really know what she meant. Then she shifted, becoming a panther. He could still recognize her by her vivid blue eyes, and something else. There was something distinctive about the panther that said 'Basta'. Harry didn't know if it was her scent or something else, but he suspected he would know she was there even if he had his eyes closed. The panther leaned towards him until their noses were practically touching.

Welcome little brother, he heard, and then she nuzzled her head against his, sniffing at his bandage and otherwise looking him over.

'Hello', Harry tried to think towards her, but he could not tell if he succeeded. Finally, she stepped back.

I am happy to meet you, cub, her voice said and he could hear her sincerity in his head. With this mind speaking, there was no lying. Then she walked away. Another person approached them, again in human form. This time it was a man with his black hair streaked grey, though he otherwise did not look old. Like Snape he wore a robe, but it wasn't like any wizarding robe that Harry had ever seen. It was dyed in vivid earth tones that contrasted well with his dark black skin.

“Welcome, Severus,” the man said, his voice deep and warm, “Welcome, young cub. I am Phuros Rummel.” He smiled down at Harry. “Most call me Roo. You may do the same.”

“Roo is the clan leader,” Snape told Harry, “That is what his title, Phuros, means.” Then Roo also changed into a panther, after asking Harry's permission, and looked him over in much the same way Basta had. Normally, all of this close attention would be making Harry nervous, but somehow in cat form, it felt natural. He could learn the feel of Roo's presence, get to know his scent while the panther did the same with him. And at least they weren't getting to know each other the way he'd seen dogs do.

After Roo, Harry met Bet and Nefirei, two females who cooed over Harry like two overbearing aunts, luckily more of a Weasley persuasion than a Dursley. Harry endured their fussing, and genuinely enjoyed the splashes of affection they sent his way. Then came Udro, the only person in the room who was wearing an actual suit and tie. He reminded Harry of a black-haired Percy. His greeting was exact to the point where he shook Harry's paw, and even in panther form he held himself stiff and formal. His touch was clinical, like an etiquette lesson rather than a friendly conversation.

After him, it was a relief to meet Shura, Jag, and their cub, Neffy. Neffy was an adolescent still at one hundred and eight years, almost a hundred years before her first coming of age, and she seemed absolutely delighted at Harry's arrival.

“I'm your alsentei!” she informed him excitedly, “That means big sister. I can help you to learn everything. I've lived here all my life, and I know what it's like to be the youngest, well, Sev was really the youngest but everyone treats him like he's older, something about being 'more mature', but anyway I can show you around and I know all the best secret places, and everything!”

“Breathe, Neffy,” her mother admonished, sounding half amused and half apologetic.

“She is excited to have another cub in the clan,” Jag added.

“You don't say,” Snape answered with a raised eyebrow. Neffy rolled her eyes.

After the small family left, two males named Adam and Orph approached in their panther forms. They introduced themselves directly into Harry's mind. There presence, though powerful, felt calming after the whirlwind that was Neffy. After that couple came a large female called Helen who told Harry he was welcome in her kitchen any time. Finally there came Eva, Alex, and Orth, making up the last of those present in the room. Considering that Harry had half been expecting a hundred clan members, the introductions hadn't been too difficult at all. And now that he recognized everyone in the room, he felt his anxieties evaporating, being replaced with an avid curiosity.

Unfortunately, the curiosity was tempered by a growing drowsiness.

“There, see, that wasn't so bad,” Snape said, “Unlike with humans, we can use a little basic consideration when we meet new people.” Harry agreed that it definitely beat his introduction to the wizarding world. He struggled not to yawn while he looked around the room with new interest. He noticed that there were two ramps leading to the upper floors, and beneath the ramps two doorways leading into wide, airy hallways. He wondered how big the house was, and if the clan lived there or if it was just a meeting place. When he had first woken up in the bedroom, he had assumed that he was wherever Snape lived when he wasn't at Hogwarts. Now he didn't know, but he definitely wanted to explore. Unfortunately, Snape had other plans.

“I think this was enough excitement for one afternoon,” he said, “Perhaps it would be best if we returned to the room.” Harry tried to glare at him in disagreement, but that was when the yawn finally escaped.

“You are still healing,” Snape answered anyway, “You need more sleep to heal. As well as for your body to adapt to all its changes.” Then he scooped Harry up without waiting for any more arguments, or as much as Harry could argue not having learned how to mind speak. Just as when they entered, they left the room in silence, though Neffy did send an enthusiastic goodbye towards them. Harry was asleep before they made it up the ramp.

He dreamed about hunting again. The dream morphed into reality when he heard a ferocious snarl. Snape was standing over him, hiding him beneath his belly, with his hair raised on end and a rumble in his throat. A stranger had entered the room.