Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Of course Snape has to go.
Chapter 2 - The Mission

Severus Snape entered the office. He seemed to be slightly out of breath.

"Sit down Severus. There is something I need you to do. Snape sat down wordlessly. He did not stop gazing at Dumbledore. A small wrinkle appeared on his forehead, making him look even more sour than he usually did.

"Severus, Lucius Malfoy will be in repossession of his wand from tomorrow onwards. He will be found innocent of all charges. It is time to pay him a visit."

Snape looked confused. "Professor" you know I can't. I will not be allowed anywhere near Malfoy Manor. Not yet anyway."

Dumbledore regarded the pale Professor. The cynical, suspicious side in the potions master had honestly believed, that he would send him to risk his life for a more or less routine visitation of a former death eater. Malfoy Manor was still guarded by dementors. Lucius and Narcissa were wandless and were not able to defend themselves or any intrusor. And the dementors would surely not be too happy about the presence of Snape. Dumbledore smiled giggled inside at the thought of a happy Dementor. And - most importantly - Snape would never lower his guard and let anyone see the shape of his patronus. And his shield would not be able to fight the large amount of dementors that were guarding Malfoy Manor.

Severus seemed to relax a little. Dumbledore felt a little bit sorry for him because he reckoned that the potions master would not like the task Dumbledore did have for him.

"Minerva will be represent me today." Snape looked rather confused again. Dumbledore could read his face expression and sense his mood better than anyone else. The slightest movement in that sour, pale face gave him clues.

"I can see you wonder what I called you for. Cup of tea?"

Snape slowly shook his head. "What is it you want me to do?" he asked.

Dumbledore passed him Arabella Figg's letter and Snape read it in seconds.

"Professor, you want me to go there? Me? I can't. I would happily take Minerva's place today. She knows Privet Drive, she knows the Dursleys a little.

Dumbledore stood up and walked towards the office door. "So do you Severus. It has to be you. You are the best Legilimens I know. Kingsley Shacklebolt will join you today.

Talking about the devil...

The tall auror with the deep voice came running down the corridor towards Dumbledore.

"Professor, I had no idea. The boy seemed fit for school only two weeks ago. I do admit he looks a little thin and pale, and he seems to be rather clumsy as he seems to have fresh bruises every..."

All of a sudden Shacklebolt lowered his head.

"Professor, I am so so sorry. I should have known."

Yes, Kingsley, you should have. Mrs. Figg is a squib. She can only pass information but not be of more practical use. She cannot reveal sympathy for Harry because the Dursleys will not let the two communicate otherwise. And, if I may ask, why haven't you reported to me that he hasn't been to school for almost two weeks?"

Shacklebolt seemed to find his feet rather interesting. "Because it is school holidays for muggles. They end next week."

Dumbledore sighed. After a few reports from Mrs. Figg he had decided that it would be best to have a wizard keep an eye on Harry. Kingsley Shacklebolt felt rather at home in the muggle world, so he did not discuss when he was appointed deputy head of Harry's primary school. He had made sure Harry got enough food at school, stayed out of too much trouble and had a place to go when his cousin Dudley decided to bully him. He wished he could send him elsewhere, but Petunia's blood protected him from Voldemort and his servants until he turned 17.
There was no choice. He rather would interfere a little in the situation he was now than completely take him out and put him at risk of being killed by one former Death Eater. Particularly the one he had to visit today.

With a flick of his wand he removed Shacklebolts earring and dressed Snape in muggle clothes.

"I have things to do now. Good luck to you both."

Snape and Shacklebolt left the room.