Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The Dursleys are despicable.
Chapter 3 - Hunger and pain

Harry stood in the kitchen. He had made food for everyone. Once they had eaten, he had to wash the dishes, clean the surfaces and mop the floor.

He wasn't even allowed to eat any of it. Dudley, fat, mean Dudley had made sure he didn't get any of the leftovers either. Uncle Vernon had once again proclaimed that he would not get meals for a week. Last night he was so hungry, he ate out the trash can. He had to eat something, he felt so weak and bony. How he loathed the holidays.

He would much rather be at school, at least he got one meal a day and wasn't constantly punished. He was a good student but he sometimes noticed the odd look that some teachers gave him. He would have been better even if the Dursleys weren't so eager in making sure he wasn't that much better than Dudley.

Still, better than here. He took his glasses off and let out a small wince. The frame seemed to be too small for his swollen face. Uncle Vernon had punched him so hard that half of his face swelled up and one spectacle was broken now. He tried to turn around and get into a more comfortable position. His lungs hurt. He had spent half the day scrubbing the bathroom over and over again. He wasn't allowed to leave it, Aunt Petunia had locked it from the outside. The fumes that escaped from the cleaning bucket made him dizzy and hurt his lungs. Every breath stung.

He had deserved it though. No normal child did the things he did. Broke things without touching them. Change the thermostat of the heater without even knowing it. Last week he had caused Dudley to stumble when he again jumped on the stairs he was sleeping under, causing the dust and plaster to get into his eyes.

He hadn't meant to do it, it just happened. No meals for a week. Not only Dudley, but also Mrs. Figg saw him eat out the trash can and aunt Petunia caught him. With an apologetic look and mouthing the words: "He is very disturbed" she escorted Harry in, digging her sharp finger nails so deep into his shoulders that he cried out loud.

"BOY!"

Harry startled and faced uncle Vernon.

"As a punishment for eating out the trash can and be seen by the neighbours." You will clean the shed tonight, polish every single item in there, get rid of every spider web and repair and clean the bikes. You will sleep there, too. Go. Out of my sight."

Harry was so shocked, his mouth fell open. The shed hasn't been touched for ages, everybody in the house was scared of spiders so it was not as immaculate as aunt Petunia's kitchen. Not anywhere near as immaculate. It would take him all night.

Uncle Vernon shoved him out the door while aunt Petunia got a bucket of hot water, cleaners and a tiny cloth ready. Harry looked at his raw hands and had no idea how he was going to manage.

He grabbed the bucket, hung his head and walked towards the shed.