Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry is very uncomfortable.
Chapter 8 - Waiting

Harry used all his remaining strength to pull out.

He shouted "PROTEGO!" as loud he possibly could and tried to find back to reality. He looked around and tried to locate Snape who was supposed to be standing in front of him, sneering. But he wasn't. Harry noticed, that the door was shutting, Snape had left the room a few seconds ago. Harry stood up quickly and followed him. Snape was ahead of him, running and breathing heavily.

Harry couldn't help to return the nasty comment that Snape had made when he had invaded his private memories.

"Did you have fun Snape?"

Snape's reaction was subtle but noticable. After slowing down a little bit, he then kept running towards McGonnagal's office. Without knocking, he opened the door. Actually, he ran it in. Harry was right behind him now. McGonnagal looked up and stood up immediately, pulling out her wand.

"What is it?" she asked, looking worried.

Snape made a curt gesture and she understood that she had to come with him.

"Are you okay Harry?"

Harry nodded.

"I'm fine."

He looked better than Snape.

"McGonnagal. Dumbledore's Office. Now." he croaked. His breath was heavy, he was wheezing.

The three hurried to Dumbledore's Office, Minverva and Harry had problems to follow the agitated potions master.

When they stood in front of the office, Snape spat the password and they entered quickly.

Dumbledore seemed to have been waiting, he seemed prepared for someone to enter.

Snape hurried towards the pensieve, pointed his wand at his own temple and the silvery memory escaped. He slightly flinched, as if it was hurting him.

Maybe it was.

"Get in there!" Snape snarled. He walked towards them as if he was ready to shove them both into the pensieve, but Dumbledore and McGonnagall didn't need to be told. They obeyed immediately, leaned over and disappeared.

Snape grabbed Harry, who was about to follow them and held him back.

"Not you, Potter."

Harry sat down and rubbed his hurting head. He felt that he had done something very wrong and was about to apologise. Maybe if he did, the punishment wouldn't be too harsh? Usually he had more pride, but God, he was so tired and hungry and sore.

"I'm sorry Professor. I didn't mean to break into the pensieve yesterday. I wasn't myself, I would never have..."

Snape glared at him.

"Spare us your drama Potter, will you?"

Harry fell silent and looked away. He was so ashamed that he blushed. Everyone would know now. Everyone would find out what he was really like. Weak. Couldn't even defend himself against muggles. He always knew that he must have done something terribly wrong to deserve the treatment he got. And he did. He damaged the Dursleys with his magic, even though he didn't mean to.

Harry peered at the tall, thin man. He seemed to look around for a seat and didn't feel comfortable taking a seat in Dumbledore's chair. Harry felt it was time to go as he didn't want to be here when Dumbledore and McGonnagall came back.

"Stay where you are" hissed Snape as if he could read his mind.

He could in fact read his mind. That weak mind that wasn't able to learn occlumency.

The silence was awkward. He wanted to find some way to get out. He really, really couldn't bare everyone's disappointment with him tonight. He wondered if Dumbledore would keep him in the school after what he saw.

"Professor, I have to go. There is homework to do. I didn't have time to do any of it."

He raised out of his seat and made another attempt - a petty attempt - to leave the room.

"Sit down Potter."

Harry sighed. Maybe he could get out if he was honest? The problem was, that he would rather break his own wand than showing weakness and defeat in front of Snape.

"Professor - I want to go. I need to go. They will be back soon and I..." he flushed and cursed himself for his stupid babbling.

Snape took a deep breath and Harry could hear a wheeze. At the sudden movement of Snape's arm he flinched quite violently and tried to protect his head as he was sure Snape had finally lost control and would hit him. He had, after all, Snape got quite physical yesterday, when he had found out that Harry was in the pensieve, invading his privacy, he had grabbed him hard, hit him and threw a jar of cockroaches at him.

But the professir didn't hit him. Harry lowered his hands again, feeling stupid and weak and just wanted to leave. This time, he wouldn't listen to Snape. He would just leave the room, he knew the two were about to come out the Pensieve and he had no energy for questioning today. And he didn't want to see Dumbledore. He had been ignoring him for months and the all-knowing Dumbledore must have known what his life at the Dursleys had been like. He must have thought that Harry deserved it. No, he couldn't face him tonight.

With more decidedness than he had shown before, he walked towards the door, trying not to look weak and shattered.
Snape again, held him and glared at him.

"Snape" Hary blurted. "Leave me alone. Let me go to bed. It's bad enough, you don't need to make it worse, I know it's all my fau-"

"Don't." Snape snarled now violently "Ever. Think. That." The expression in Snape's eyes disturbed Harry because he just couldn't quite place it.

"Let me go."

Snape growled and released his firm grip around Harry's skinny arms.

"You sit there and wait."