Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
The kids are kidnapped!

Harry's POV
Stolen Away

The day it happened I was nearly late for school. Dad had been on call the night before and forgotten to set his alarm or something, and I never wake up unless someone calls me for school, so we woke up fifteen minutes later than normal and had to rush to make it to the bus on time. Dad could've Apparated me, but I wanted to ride the bus with Hermione and Lexy.

Which meant I had ten minutes to get dressed, my hair combed (it needed trimming again), and eat some toast before we missed the bus. I shoved my favorite green Wasps Rule shirt on and a pair of trousers that were almost like jeans. Dad used a spell to comb my hair, handed me a piece of toast and glass of milk, and told me to eat quickly.

I drank the milk, crammed the toast in my mouth, and my breakfast was done. After petting Inky goodbye, Dad Apparated us to the end of the street and then we walked to the corner and just as we got there, the bus came. "Have a good day at school, Harry," Dad said as I was leaving.

"Bye, Dad! I'll see you later." I called, not knowing then how true those words were.

Once on the bus, I slid into my usual seat, four rows behind the driver, Hermione and Lexy were already there, they got on at the same stop.

"Morning, Harry," Hermione greeted cheerfully. She was all bouncy in the morning.

"Morning," I yawned, I was not at my best this morning. I still felt tired and I wished I could just go back to bed.

Lexy looked tired too, and she smiled at me quietly, before closing her eyes and taking a nap. It took about twenty minutes for the bus to get to Mabry, and I thought she was smart to sleep while she could.

I decided to follow her example and closed my eyes as well. One hand came up to stroke my panther amulet, that Grandpa had made for me two years ago and Dad had enchanted to protect me from dark magic and stuff. Only it wasn't there. I opened my eyes and stared down at my neck, trying to remember if I'd taken it off this morning.

Yes, I had, I removed it when I was putting on my new shirt. I had been in such a hurry that I'd forgotten to put it back on. It was still lying where I'd left it, on my dresser. Bloody hell! I swore to myself. Well, it was too late to get it now. I was supposed to wear the amulet always, since I'd noticed the stranger watching me, but now I'd have to do without it. I couldn't very well ask my teacher if I could make a phone call because I'd left my amulet home, she was a Muggle and would never understand.

I sighed, sometimes I was so stupid, and I closed my eyes and slept for the rest of the way to school. Hermione had to nudge me awake, and I stumbled into Miss Underwood's classroom half-awake and irritable.

Because I was so tired, I didn't participate as well as I normally do, and my teacher noticed and asked if I were sick. For one moment I was tempted to tell her yes, but then I remembered Dad was a Healer and he'd know I was faking. So I regretfully told her no, I was just tired, and she said I should get some more rest tonight.

"Yes, ma'am," I answered respectfully.

"Very well, turn to page 125 and let's get started on this week's spelling list."

I opened my spelling book, praying I could stay awake.

The rest of the school day seemed to drag, except for recess and lunch, those always went super fast. As usual, I sat with my friends for lunch, and played with them during recess. I was glad we were going to play in the back playground, so I didn't have to worry about any strangers watching me.

Finally, the bell rang for dismissal, and we were free. I shoved all my books and folders in my bag and just remembered to grab the flyer for the Halloween party coming up in three weeks, on the twenty-fifth, the school did it every other year and you could come in costume and win prizes and stuff. I'd have to think of a really good costume this year.

"Come on, Harry!" Hermione cried, tugging on my shirt sleeve. "We'll miss the bus if we don't hurry up."

"Okay, just a sec." I said, miffed. I tugged my zipper closed than followed her and Lexy from the classroom. We were just outside the building when Lexy cried, "Oh no! I forgot my bookbag in the classroom. I need to go and get it."

She turned and raced back inside.

Three minutes later she was still not back. I glanced at Hermione. "What should we do? Will the bus driver wait for her?"

Hermione shook her head, looking worried. "No. We asked him to last time and he said it's not the company policy."

"I wonder what's keeping her?" I said, for it had now been over five minutes and she was still gone. "I'm going to go and see what's up." I decided.

The schoolyard was nearly empty now and I knew the buses were leaving soon. I entered the school and walked down the hall to Mrs. Underwood's classroom.

"Harry, wait up," Hermione called, "I don't like staying outside without you."

I slowed down and waited until she had caught up with me. "I wonder if Miss Underwood came back and maybe she's talking to Lexy," I said, trying to figure out why it would take Lexy so long to get her bookbag.

But when we got to the classroom, it was empty and there was no sign of Lexy. "Huh? Where'd she go?" I said, puzzled.

"Lexy?" Hermione called, peering all over. "If she's not here, then where is she?"

We went back out into the hallway, and then we heard a muffled sound. It was coming from the little corridor where the bathrooms were. I turned and headed down there, Hermione practically stepping on me, and saw a dreadful sight.

Two men were dragging Lexy away, and she was fighting both of them, but one had tape across her mouth and the other was trying to tie her feet with some kind of cord.

"Lexy!" I yelled, and ran toward them, hoping to scare them into dropping her.

She looked up at me and said, "Hmamm-mmfgrm!"

"You let her go, you nasty beasts!" shouted Hermione.

"Aw, shit, Dan! Those kids done seen us now," drawled a tall man with reddish brown hair and cold green eyes.

The other man, the one who was holding Lexy, looked up and said, "Stop them before they talk, Brent."

I gasped, for he was the same man who'd been watching me weeks ago.

"Will do, boss. Yo, Jack! We got some guppies that need netting."

I started to back away, and I cried, "Run, Hermione!"

Hermione turned to run, but another man appeared behind us and grabbed her, clamping a hand over her mouth so she couldn't scream for help. "Shut it, girlie! This is what you get fer pokin' yer nose in other people's business." He pinned her against him so she couldn't get away.

Now I was trapped between him and the red-haired guy, who was coming for me with a wicked grin on his face. "Don't run, boy. It'll only go worse for you if you do."

"Who are you? What do you want with us?"

"Friends of Lexy's daddy there," he jerked his thumb back at the sandy-haired man. "And all we wanted is for him to get his little girl back, which her mama stole from him. Since her mama won't let her daddy near her, we decided to take her away with us."

"You can't do that!" I gasped. There were tears running down Lexy's face now, and I could see her shaking from here. "She doesn't want to be with him, now let her go. She's my friend and she wants to be with her mum."

"Well, now ain't that too bad. You don' always get what you want, boy." The man growled, then he grabbed me by the shoulder and held me fast. I tried to bite him, but he smacked me so hard my teeth rattled. "None of that, boy!" He pulled a dirty handkerchief out of his pocket that smelled gross, it was soaked with something, and held it to my nose and mouth.

I coughed and sputtered, but it was no use, and I breathed in the awful smell that clung to the cloth.

Next thing I knew, my head felt funny and my eyes started closing in spite of themselves. I felt the red-haired man pick me up and put me over his shoulder, then a white mist came and swirled me away and I knew nothing more until I woke up hours later, as a prisoner of Lexy's father, Daniel Chase.

Chapter End Notes:
Next: The kids are trapped by the meanest man in the world--according to his daughter, that is!