Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here it is at last!

Promises, confessions, and the long awaited wedding of Severus and Alaina.

Sev's POV.
Love You Forever

We had set the wedding date for the middle of March, the sixteenth, because the weather turned a little warmer then but didn't have the sticky heat of a summer wedding. It was going to be a small ceremony, just our families and a few intimate friends. Both of us had been married before, so we saw no need for a big wedding.

After work, Alaina and I went over the wedding menu and the guest list, it was small, only about fifty people. Albus had generously allowed us to use the school for the reception, Alaina found that oddly appropriate, considering she was a kindergarten teacher and it was my alma mater. We had decided to have the wedding in both the Muggle and wizard manner, which meant in a church with formal vows and afterwards a small ceremony of bonding performed by Albus, who as Chief Warlock of the Wizengamut had the authority to make such a ceremony legally binding. I knew some of the more pureblooded racist families would regard my having a binding ceremony with a Muggle woman sacrilege, but I could give a damn what they thought. I had always been a nonconformist, both in my professional and personal life, and I saw no reason to change now.

Alaina had asked Jane to be her matron-of-honor for the church ceremony, and I was torn between asking Sirius or Remus, until Alaina told me to just have both of them, that way there would be no hurt feelings. Harry would be a ringbearer, along with Inky, and Lexy would be the flower girl. We wouldn't have dreamed of leaving them out of the wedding party, and they were just as excited, if not more so, than we were.

When I took Harry to get fitted for his suit at Madam Greymalkins, he was so fidgety I had to threaten him with a Sticking Charm before he stood still long enough for the poor seamstress to measure and pin his trousers.

"Please excuse him, he's very excited over getting this new suit," I apologized for what seemed like the tenth time to the rather exasperated witch.

"Oh? What's the occasion, young sir?"

"My dad's getting married again and I'm gonna be in the wedding," Harry told her proudly.

"Well, congratulations! And you'll look very smart in these new clothes, if you'll just stand still long enough for me to make adjustments, all right?" She gestured, and a row of pins flew into the trouser cuffs. "You want to look your best for the big day, don't you?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Harry said eagerly, reminding me of a beagle begging to go hunting. He managed to contain himself long enough for the seamstress to finish putting up his trousers and adjusting his jacket.

"We'll have these ready in about two days, Mr. Snape. Congratulations on your coming marriage and thank you for choosing Greymalkins."

I gave her a generous tip for putting up with my fidgety pain-in-the-arse son, and was rewarded with a brilliant smile on my way out. "Can we have ice cream now, Dad?" Harry pleaded. "You said we could, if I behaved, and I did."

I raised an eyebrow. "You call me having to reprimand you five times behaving, Harry Severus?"

He hung his head. "But I was trying, Dad! It's just so hard to stand still and not move while she was sticking pins all over and tickling me with her tape."

I sighed. "Very well, you may have a cone, though you're lucky your getting it at all."

"Thanks, Dad. You're the best!"

"Brat!" I said fondly, and mussed his hair.

Then we went into the ice cream shoppe and Harry got his usual peanut butter caramel with walnuts and I got my chocolate banana split, which I ended up sharing with my starving son. I wonder if Alaina had fared any better with Lexy when she took her to get fitted for her flower girl gown.

We sent the invitations out by owl post, it was quicker that way, and I made sure Remus and Sirius had proper attire for the big event. Moony I didn't need to worry about, he knew how to dress properly. Padfoot, on the other hand, might have shown up in his favorite Quidditch team shirt and bathrobe, he was currently into the new trend of ‘comfort is style'.

"Dress robes and a suit, Severus? You trying to make me commit myself, buddy? You know how much I loathe formal wear."

"Quit whining, Black. It's only for one day, and then you can go back to wearing a towel toga, or whatever you call it."

"It's a wrap," he corrected. "It's the latest in comfort from Greece. Lindy loves it, she says it's a cinch to get off." He grinned lasciviously.

I rolled my eyes. I could imagine it was, it looked like one good tug and down it would come. "I suppose the Greeks have a different view on indecent exposure than we do."

"The Greeks regard the body as a temple."

"How enlightening." I drawled sarcastically.

"You ought to try this sometime. It's very uninhibiting."

"Padfoot, you get any more uninhibited and they'll arrest you for indecent exposure."

"Wouldn't be the first time."

"I'm not even going to ask."

"What? I wasn't flashing old ladies or anything like that, if that's what you were thinking, Snape." Sirius said indignantly. "I was working a case, and the suspect burned half my clothes off with a Fireball Charm, so I shifted into dog form, and once I'd caught him, I changed back and forgot totally about my clothes being, uh, half gone. I think I nearly gave an elderly witch a heart attack right there, and she called the Department and Captain Moody reamed my arse for it and then said next time I went up against a firestarter, I should carry an extra set of clothes."

"Sirius, can I count on you to behave like a normal adult and get yourself proper attire, or do I have to accompany you to Greymalkins and stand over you like I do Harry? Because I won't have my best man embarrassing me at my wedding."

"Merlin, Sev! I'm not five, I don't need you to hold my bloody hand. I'll get the damn clothes, don't get your knickers in a twist."

"In time for the wedding, Sirius Orion Black?"

"Yes, of course!"

"Promise me."

"Sev , what is this? Interrogation 101?"

"Sirius, your word." I repeated implacably.

"Okay! I promise I'll have the whole damn outfit-"

"Two outfits," I corrected.

"-two outfits by the wedding. Satisfied now?"

"Don't pout, Siri," I teased. "You're not five anymore, remember?" Then I clapped a hand on his shoulder before departing.

 

Lexy insisted on showing me her new flower girl dress when she arrived from school, it was a beautiful turquoise shade that set off her hair and eyes to perfection. "Well? How do I look, Dad?"

"Absolutely beautiful. Like a fairytale princess." I said, smiling. I was not merely saying that, Lexy truly was a beautiful child. And hearing her call me "Dad" warmed my heart, for I had always longed for a little girl of my own.

She twirled about for me, showing me how the skirt flounced and swirled. "Will there be dancing at the wedding?"

"Yes, I imagine there will be. Why? Do you like to dance, Miss Montague?"

"I love to, but what if there's no one who wants to dance with me?" she said, a worried frown crinkling her brow.

"Then I will. Is that all right with you, Princess Lexy?"

"Perfect!" she grinned, then stood up on tiptoe to kiss my cheek.

 

* * * * * *

 

 

A week before the wedding, we were going over last minute preparations and lists when Alaina's parents, Susan and Billy Montague, phoned and asked if we would mind them coming and visiting with us for a week. "We've heard so much about your fiancee, Alaina, that we're just dying to meet him."

"D'you mind, Sev? They can stay at my place, they don't want to impose, but Dad's rather old-fashioned, he wants to meet you face to face and discuss your intentions towards me."

"I would think they'd be obvious by now," I chuckled. "Though as a father myself, I can understand his concern. Especially after Dan . . ."

She nodded quickly, Dan was not a subject either of us wished to dwell on. "Okay, I'll tell them to catch the first flight out." She kissed me lightly. "You're a dear, Severus. I'll tell my father not to give you the third degree."

I chuckled. "Alaina, he's a father and you're his daughter, he's supposed to give your prospective husband or boyfriend the third degree."

"God help the poor boy Lexy decides to date. Between you and Toby the poor kid's doomed."

"Got that right." I growled. "The first boy that lays a finger on her is going to end up as lawn decoration."

"Men!" she huffed, then called her parents back and told them to come on over.

They arrived at Heathrow early the next morning, having caught the red eye out. My father picked them up in his car, not wanting to introduce them to too much magic at once. Alaina had explained to them that I was a wizard, but she said she wasn't sure that her parents quite got what she meant. "I think my mom's under the impression that you're a doctor who is a stage magician on the side."

"Have you told them about Lexy?"

"Not yet. I just didn't know how. I mean, what was I supposed to say? By the way, Mom and Dad, your granddaughter's a witch that can do real magic."

"The truth always works best, I've found." I said gently.

She accompanied Tobias to the airport to meet them, they had landed at ten AM and once they went through customs and picked up their luggage, they'd be coming over to my house.

I prayed I would like them, as I'd liked the Evans, for there is nothing that causes more friction in a marriage than problems between the spouse and their in-laws. Still, they'd put up with Dastardly Dan, so perhaps they would find me a refreshing change, even if I was a wizard.

Harry was in school, otherwise he would've been running to the door to answer the bell, though he did know that Alaina's parents were coming to visit and he was excited about having new grandparents. When the bell rang I was at the door almost before the last echo had died away, nervously straightening my shirt and brushing invisible specks of dust off of my trousers. I was wearing a blue collared shirt and tan trousers, good clothes that I usually wore beneath my white robes to the office. I had opted not to wear a tie, for that seemed too formal, and they were not nobility, merely my in-laws.

I opened the door to admit Alaina, followed by a short woman with the same thick curly hair as her daughter's, though hers was cut short. She looked to be the same age as my mother would've been if she were alive, around forty-seven. She was wearing a soft purple traveling outfit and her brown eyes were sparkling with undisguised curiosity.

"Mom, meet Severus, my fiancee. Though he's Sev to his family." Alaina introduced her mother to me.

"How do you do, Severus? Alaina's told me so much about you, I feel as if I've known you forever," she told me warmly, taking my outstretched hand and shaking it. "I'm Susan, but you can just call me Sue, everyone does."

Tobias entered right behind her, talking animatedly to a large bluff man around the same age with slightly graying dark hair wearing a green golf shirt and jeans with brown loafers. "Did you see a lot of action in Vietnam then?" Dad was asking.

"No, thank God. I was only over there for six months, as an Air Force liaison to the 54th Army battalion," answered my new father-in-law, who was obviously an ex-military man. "But what I did see gave me nightmares for months."

"I imagine it would. Nasty business, that war. Like any war."

"Yes." He turned to me then, looking slightly apologetic. "Hello, my name is Bill, and you must be Sev. Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you, but your father and I got involved in discussing my old service record, I was a Major in the Air Force before I retired, and he was a sergeant, so we have a bit in common."

I shook his hand and said, "Welcome to my home, Bill. Pleased to meet you." I led the way into the den. "Would you care for a cold drink or a snack? Or did you eat already?"

"Uh, we did have a something on the flight, but it was nothing to write home about," he admitted wryly.

After I had gotten my guests settled in the kitchen with drinks and some small finger foods I'd picked up yesterday, I sat down and began to try to get to know my in-laws.

Sue eyed me appreciatively, before saying, "Alaina says you're a doctor, is that right?"

"Yes, I am." But not the way she thought.

"And she also said you were a . . .a wizard. Is that what they call the stage magicians nowadays? Do you do parties?"

"Mom, no, I told you before . . ."Alaina groaned, looking like she wanted to die of embarrassment. "Sev isn't that kind of magician. He's the real McCoy."

Her mother gave her a look of irritated disbelief. "Honey, there's no such thing as a real wizard, they're only in myths and legends."

I decided now was as good a time as any to demonstrate my power. I pointed my wand at the table and spoke a levitating charm which made all the cups and forks hover in the air for about a minute.

"Oh my! Now that's a clever one!" Susan exclaimed. "And I didn't see any wires, did you, Bill?"

The Major was examining the fork hovering in front of him intently. "There are no wires, Sue. It's a trick, it has to be. Forks don't fly."

"You're right. It's not flying, just levitating," I corrected gently. "You'll find no scientific explanation for this phenomenon, Bill. Because science plays no part in this."

"You're a psychic, right? Like that guy John Edwards?"

"No. I'm no medium, I don't speak to the dead. I'm a wizard doctor, and it is my magic that keeps the forks and cups in the air."

"But-but magic, it's not real!" Susan sputtered.

"Oh, it's real enough," Tobias spoke up then. "I know what you're feeling and thinking. You're thinking, what the hell kind of nuthouse have I come into? But you're not going crazy and we're not drugging you or anything. Magic is real, it exists, and it always has. Once you accept that, the rest of it is easy."

"Are you one of them too, Toby?" asked Bill.

"No. I don't have magic, I'm a regular guy. Sev got his magic from his mum, she was a witch."

"A witch!"

"Not the kind you're thinking of, Mom," interjected Alaina. "Not like on Halloween. Here, a witch is just a woman who can do magic, a sorceress."

"I see," Susan said dazedly.

"We apologize for springing this upon you right away, but you must understand, magic is an integral part of my life, and now your daughter's as well. My little son is also a wizard."

"And so is Lexy," Alaina informed them.

"Lexy? Lexy can do magic like this?" Bill repeated, astonishment written all over him.

"Well, no, not yet, she's too young, but someday she will, right, Sev?"

"Yes. By my reckoning Lexy and Harry, my son, will be two of the strongest wizards of their generation." I gestured, and the cups and forks settled back down on the table.

Both Montagues picked up the forks and cups and examined them closely before setting them back down again.

"There's nothing that would make them fly," Bill mused. "Therefore, I guess I'll have to admit that there really is such a thing as magic. Either that or this is an elaborate hoax."

"Dad, it's magic. Your granddaughter has it, so does your grandson and so does your son-in-law. It's nothing to be afraid of. Sev's a Healer, he can't harm anyone with his magic, only heal them."

Bill looked up at me then and I met his gaze steadily. "Honestly?"

"Yes. I've sworn Healers Oath and I am bound by it to use my magic for good purposes and never to harm. I'm not a black magician, nor do I worship the devil. I believe in God, as a matter of fact I'm Catholic and go to church on Sundays."

"I believe you. Impossible as it seems, I believe you." Bill said.

"I do too," said Susan, though I wasn't sure if she had accepted it yet.

"It's okay, Mom. Severus is still human, he just has an extraordinary gift, like Mozart did for composing or DaVinci for art." Alaina said, trying to ease their way into acceptance.

The two were silent for several minutes, then Susan asked, "What can you do with your magic, Sev? Can you cure any disease with it?"

"No. Magic can do many things, but we do not have the panacea for all illnesses. Wizards still get sick and die just like the rest of you. I lost my first wife to lupus, and not all my magic could save her. Some spells and items we have are on a par with your science and technology, other magical spells and so forth would be considered miracles by you."

We talked about magic, among other things, until the children arrived home from school. They burst in the door like a herd of rampaging unicorns, and Lexy squealed happily when she caught sight of her grandparents at the kitchen table.

"Nana! Poppi! You're finally here!"

"Hello, sunshine!" Bill held out his arms and she ran into them. "My goodness, you're getting so big. How's my girl? Miss me?"

"A whole lot. But guess what? Mom's marrying Sev in a week and then he'll be my dad and Harry will be my brother, and we're almost like twins ‘cause he's eight and so am I."

"And are you happy, Lexy?"

"Yes, Poppi. Sev's the best dad, much better than my old one. He promised he'll never hit me with a slipper or lock me in a closet ever. He reads to me and takes me to the movies and everything. The only thing my other dad did that was good was leave me all his money."

Bill hugged her tightly. "I'm glad you are happy with your mom's choice for a husband, sunshine. And I'm sure you can put Dan's money to good use for your education and whatever else you need when you're eighteen, and it becomes available. Now, why don't you introduce me to your almost twin brother over here?"

Lexy then introduced her grandparents to Harry, who greeted them politely if a bit shyly, "Hi. I'm Harry. I used to have a grandma and grandpa like you once, but they died in a car crash, and now they're in heaven like my mum. And my Grandma Eileen too."

Susan stared at him, her eyes filling with tears of compassion. "You poor thing! You're so young, to know such loss. You and Lexy both. If you'd like, I can be your Nana like I am Lexy's."

Harry smiled at her, his signature sweet smile that never fails to melt the hardest of hearts. "Yes. I'd like that very much." Then he gave her a hug.

Afterwards he came and hugged me, Alaina, and Dad, like usual. Then he fixed himself a glass of milk and asked, "Dad, did you introduce them to Inky yet?"

I shook my head. "No. Your grandparents had enough to absorb just now with the fact that we're wizards."

‘Oh. But where is he, Dad?"

"In his room."

"Can I let him out?"

"Harry . . .wait a bit." I urged.

"But Dad, you know he hates being shut in there all day. It's boring."

Before I could say anything else, Bill asked, "What kind of pet do you have, Harry? A dog? We like animals, we always had a dog and a dozen cats when Alaina was growing up."

"You do? See, Dad. They like animals. Now can I let him out, please?"

"Inky's no ordinary animal," I began.

"We like exotic pets," laughed Susan. "Alaina had a squirrel once, raised it from a baby until it got too big and she let it go."

"Good, then you'll like Inky," Harry said, then went running down the hallway to the panther's room.

Two minutes later he returned, Inky walking beside him, purring.

"Meet Inky. Isn't he beautiful?"

Bill's mouth hung open. "Good Lord! That's no cat, that's a panther!"

"Does he bite? Oh, he's gorgeous, but I never knew they were so big," gasped Susan.

"Inky's special even among panthers. He's very gentle, and he won't hurt you," I reassured them, as the big cat paced forward and sniffed Bill's fingers.

"I love Inky, Poppi!" Lexy told him, reaching out to stroke the panther, who rubbed his head against her hand and purred resoundingly. "He saved me and Harry when my daddy kidnapped me. He found us when nobody else could and he stopped my daddy from shooting Severus and me."

"Dan tried to shoot you?" Susan was horrified. "Alaina, you never told us that!"

"I was going to, Mom, but there never seemed to be a good enough time to bring up the fact that my ex-husband tried to murder my fiancee and my daughter when we tried to rescue her."

"This cat tracked the kids down, huh?" Bill asked, looking at Inky with newfound admiration and respect. "How did you train him to do that?"

"I didn't. He just followed Harry's scent and we went along after him." I said, not wanting to go into the fact that Inky and Harry were bonded. ‘He led me and my friends, who are wizard policemen, right to Dan and the rest of the kidnappers."

"And when my daddy went to shoot us, Inky jumped at him and got shot instead and nearly died but Healer Sev saved him." Lexy recounted.

"He took a bullet for you?" Bill's voice was even more awed.

"Yes. There's no telling what would have happened if Inky hadn't been there." I reached over to pat him as well, and he nuzzled me as well.

"He's a war hero in my book," added Dad.

"You're some cat, aren't you, fella?" tentatively, Bill held out a hand and Inky thrust his head beneath it and began to purr loudly. Pet me! He ordered without words, and Bill obliged, running his hand down the velvet fur. "It's like silk!" He turned to his wife. "Sue, feel his fur! It's so soft ."

Susan held out her hand as well for the panther to sniff. Inky snuffled, then came and sat between them and put his head in Susan's lap, rumbling happily. The startled woman just sat there for a moment, then she put a hand on his head and began to stroke him.

"Oh! His fur, it really is like silken velvet! So beautiful. You're a good boy, aren't you? Saving my Lexy from that reprobate criminal! You did everyone a favor, Inky. What a wonderful boy you are!"

Inky just ate up the attention and within twenty minutes had converted two more people to the I Love Inky Fan Club. I wasn't surprised. Everybody falls in love with my panther, even those who claim they hate cats. It's something I like to name the Inky effect, and like magic, there's no logical explanation for it. There had been only one person who hadn't fallen under the panther's spell, and he was now in hell.

All in all, I was relieved that my new in-laws seemed to be taking the news that their daughter was marrying a wizard so well, nobody had fainted or threatened to call a psychiatric hospital yet at least. Maybe they were still in shock.

Then again, Alaina had always told me her parents were very understanding and supportive, even when she'd made the worst mistake of her life and married Daniel Chase. "They warned me about him, but I was too stupid to listen, and when I finally left him and came home again, they never once said I told you so. The only thing they said was that I'd made the right decision and they wanted to beat Dan senseless and throw him in the Susquehanna River."

Still, if I were Alaina's father, I'd want to make damn sure my daughter wasn't making another mistake and marrying a delusional maniac. So I was expecting Bill to want to speak with me in private fairly soon, once he felt comfortable enough to discuss his concerns with me.

The expected talk didn't occur until three days later, however. By that time the Montagues had gradually grown used to the way my household operated, half with magic and half with Muggle methods, and they'd fallen in love with Harry as well as Inky. Harry had even managed to wheedle an invitation to go to Pennsylvania for a visit next summer, the little scamp!

While Alaina and I were working and the kids were at school, Alaina's parents stayed over her house, though they had also been invited over to Spinner's End by Dad, who had hit it off with Bill and helped smooth out the awkward spots with me due to the fact that I had magic. It was ironic, to have my father, who once was terrified of magic and refused to let me practice it, now defending it and me, but the truth is stranger than fiction.

I was pondering that little bit of wisdom and also thinking how proud my mother would have been to see my father as he was now, which was probably the way he was when she had first married him, while I watered the rosebushes. I had just turned off the hose and coiled it when Bill came around the side of the house.

"You have some lovely roses here, Severus. But then again, you British are known for your rose gardens."

"True, though my little one doesn't hold a candle to some of the others around here or at Whitehall. If you want to see some beautiful gardens go there."

"Maybe Sue and I will take a walk and see some of the sights here tomorrow," he agreed, following me back along the path to the small patio, where I had set up some lawn chairs and a small magical barbecue (it ran on spells instead of gas) and two little snack tables. "Might as well as long as we're here. I noticed you grow hydrangeas as well as roses."

"Yes. And sunflowers. Lily, my first wife, loved sunflowers. She planted them here and I've taken care of them ever since."

"She was young when she died?"

"Twenty-four. She would've been twenty-eight this year, the same age as I am."

"And you've tended flowers in her memory for what, four years?"

I nodded, wondering what he was getting at.

 

He seated himself in one of the chairs and I sat also. Then he said, "You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats things. That monster Dan never gave a damn about anything that didn't involve money or his own personal pleasure. You wouldn't of caught him dead tending a garden or walking a dog or cooking so much as a piece of toast. He was a rich boytoy, liked fast cars, cash, drugs, and a woman who was a doormat. Alaina wasn't, I never raised either of my daughters to be a possession. But she couldn't see that at first, all she saw was the glitter and flash and the charm. Dan was as fake as a three dollar bill, but he was good at deception." Bill laughed harshly. "He was a defense attorney, so he was used to bending the truth to suit his own ends. I never liked him. I had him pegged as a slick shyster from the get-go, but Alaina's stubborn and she wouldn't listen to me when I warned her away from him. She thought she'd found the prince in the fairytale, but the prince was a monster, and she was hurt badly before she managed to get away from him."

"I know. She told me the whole story. She also said you never condemned her for her poor decision."

"How could I? She was my daughter, she was hurting, and she came home for help, not for me to tell her I told you so. There was no point in casting blame then, when all was said and done. The important thing was she realized her mistake and took steps to fix it before it was too late."

"Your daughter has a great deal of courage. It's one of the many things I admire about her."

He smiled at that. "Yeah, Alaina's always been a brave little soldier. She doesn't think so, but she is. She's always been my favorite, I guess. I love her sister Maureen too, but Alaina and I have a lot more in common. It damn near killed me to see what that monster did to her. I wanted to hunt the bastard down and kill him, but he wasn't worth getting a life sentence over." He leaned forward then and said, "That's why I'm here now. To make sure Alaina's not going to be marrying another beast who will crush her spirit. You seem like a nice guy, Severus, but I need to make sure, for her sake and Lexy's, that you aren't another Daniel Chase."

"I understand, Bill, I'd be the same if it were my daughter. What do I need to do to convince you that I'm not a monster and would sooner cut off my arm than hurt Alaina? Would you like me to take Veritaserum so you would know that every word I spoke was true?"

"You'd take some kind of truth drug for me?"

"If that was the only way to convince you, then yes. I want you to know that I'm not the sort of man who takes pleasure in others' pain. I'm a doctor, I take pain away, and I try my hardest never to cause it. When I first met Alaina, I thought of her as wounded blackbird, hiding in a corner. I didn't know what she was hiding from, but I knew it was pretty bad. Then she told me about Dan, and like you I wanted to slaughter him. I despise men who hurt women and children."

"Good. Because I'd sooner go to jail for attempted murder than see my daughter in bondage to another man who would abuse her the way Chase did. I didn't shed a tear when Alaina told me he was dead, hell, I wanted to throw a party. The best thing that man ever did was sire Lexy, after that he should've been put down as useless."

"I couldn't agree more," I said feelingly. "When he pointed that gun at me and Lexy, I knew I was in the presence of a man with no conscience, for only a soulless bastard would ever point a gun at his child and threaten to kill her. Only the devil mourns him, I'm sorry to say."

"If that. What about Lexy? Can you promise me that you'll love her like she was your own? Because that kid's been through hell and the last thing she needs is to be put through more."

"You need never fear that I will ever hurt either of them, Bill. I love Lexy as if she were my own, and it doesn't matter if she's not my blood. I don't know if Alaina ever told you, but Harry isn't my biological son. I adopted him after I married Lily, he is her son with her first husband, who was my good friend. James died in the line of duty, and I married Lily a year after and Harry has been raised as my son ever since. I am his father, he is my child, that is the way it has always been and always will be. I feel the same way about Lexy. I would never slight her or belittle her because she isn't my biological daughter."

"You're a rare man, Severus. Most people say blood is thicker than water, you know."

"I am not most people, Bill. I can tell you that I shall love and cherish Alaina and Lexy for all of my life, for they brought joy back into it. I never intended to remarry after Lily died, I loved her very much, and I knew any woman I married would have to love Harry too, for I would tolerate no wicked stepmothers in my life. I never expected to find a woman who would be what I needed, until Lexy crashed into us at the supermarket. My friend Albus insists there are no coincidences, and that we were fated to meet and fated to love. Me, I prefer to think of it as good fortune and leave it at that."

"Seems to me like God placed you in each other's path."

I smiled. "My mother would agree with you, were she alive. She always told me that all things had a season and God made everything happen for a reason. But sometimes His reason were incomprehensible. In this case, however . . ."

"He wants you to be together," Bill finished. "And who am I to argue with Him? I'll be honest, Severus, when Alaina told me she'd met a man over here, all I could think of was some geeky royal with a squint and glasses and a tweed jacket. Then she told me you were a doctor and I really worried, because some doctors have egos as large as the moon, like lawyers. I told her not to rush into things, to take it slow and easy, and she seems to have followed my advice. I'm happy for her, I can see that she loves you and this is the happiest I've seen her in years. Lexy too. But I had to make sure you weren't putting on act."

"Yes, and what do you think now, Bill Montague?"

"I think my daughter made the right choice and she and Lexy will finally have the family they deserve." Then his eyes narrowed and he said in a lethal tone, "But if you ever pull as fast one on her or hurt her like Chase did, I will come over here and kill you and bury your body somewhere in the bogs where it'll never be found."

I believed him, he was utterly serious, and he was ex-military, trained to kill if he had to, so I knew he was not making an idle threat. "Understood, sir," I answered respectfully. Then I asked mischievously, "Did you give Dan the same warning you gave me?"

Bill shook his head. "Dan never hung around long enough to talk to, he was always claiming it was work, but I think he just didn't want to associate with us. He considered himself the prince of New York and above such things as having a chat with your father-in-law."

"Have I answered all your questions satisfactorily, sir?"

"You have, Severus. Welcome to my family." Then he smiled at me for the first time and I knew we'd get along splendidly. It was more than I'd hoped for and I thanked God.

Even though I would rarely see them, I felt it was important to start off this marriage on a good note, and by the end of that conversation, I thought I had succeeded in gaining Bill and Susan's trust.

I wasn't the only one who decided to have a heart-to-heart with a father-in-law either. Apparently, Tobias and Alaina had the same idea, because I arrived home from the hospital the next day to discover the two in my kitchen, baking and discussing my childhood.

I lingered by the door, unwilling to intrude, yet also curious as to what my father would tell her. Would he admit that he had been at fault or would he attempt to place the blame for his outbursts on me?

"Sev was a very bright child, always has been, guess that shouldn't surprise you none, Alaina. Won all kinds of awards in school for everything. But that intelligence, which I should've been proud of, intimidated the hell out of me. I'd barely finished secondary school, and after that I'd joined the army, traveled about quite a bit and then came back here on leave and met Eileen. I'd always wanted to go back to school for carpentry, but I never had time or money either. And my ten year old knew more about math and science than I did and I felt inadequate and I'm afraid I took it out on him. I told him he had to be perfect, and he did try, but it was never enough."

"Perfect is an ideal, you'll never manage it," Alaina said wisely, taking the last tray of ready-made Pillsbury out of the oven and putting them on a wire rack to cool.

"Right. I don't know if Sev has told you anything about me, about what I was like when he was growing up," Dad said hesitantly.

"He told me you were an alcoholic who had a nasty temper and beat him for the smallest infraction."

 

"Yes. I was and I did. I never realized how badly I hurt him though until a year ago. When I was drinking, my memories of what I did were hazy, and I told myself all I'd done was discipline him, the way my father had done me. I hadn't, much of how I treated him back then was pure spite and frustration, I was depressed and angry at myself for not being able to find work and support my family the way I was supposed to. I make no excuses for myself, I looked to find fault with him and whenever I did, I used my hand or my belt to correct it. I'm not proud of that fact, Alaina. I became a man I despised and I didn't even know it, I became my father, who did the same to me and my brother, and when I left home at eighteen I swore I'd never go back and never be what he was."

"Was he an alcoholic too?"

"Ah, we wouldn't of said so back then, but yes, he was. Not the kind that was drunk all the time, but we knew when he went to the pub to get a pint, he'd come home sozzled later. My brother and I learned to hide then, because he wasn't safe to be around. Sev learned the same thing from me." He shook his head sadly, and I could see the remorse and regret in his face. "I did something no parent should ever do to their child, I made him fear and hate me. I regret that now, very much, but that's something I just have to learn to live with."

I wonder what had prompted this discussion, for my father rarely discussed his past sins with anyone. A moment later I had my answer, as Alaina said, "That's more than Dan ever did. Not all the therapy in the world could make him regret what he did to me and Lexy. He acted remorseful during the sessions with the psychologist, but as soon as he was home, he returned to his old abusive ways, controlling and manipulative. I was a fool for putting up with him as long as I did, but I suppose I wanted to believe that he would change, that eventually he would love me. That never happened. I should've walked out the first time he slapped me, but I didn't. I put myself through hell for four more years before I finally said enough and left."

"You're well rid of him, Alaina." Dad said feelingly. "I had a terrible temper when I was drunk, but I can say that I never raised a hand to my wife. Eileen and I used to argue like bloody banshees sometimes, but I never struck her. Poor Sev got the brunt of my temper, I treated him almost as bad as your ex did Lexy."

"Not quite. If you were sober, Toby, would you have locked your child in a dark closet for hours, until she screamed herself hoarse for dropping a spoon on the floor? He did that to Lexy when she was two, and it was then that she became afraid of the dark. Was there ever a time you took that revolver of yours and pointed it at Severus and said you were going to shoot him dead?"

"Not on my worst day. I walloped him till he howled, but angry as I was, I'd never have tried to kill him. I sure as blazes never pointed a gun at him."

"Then you're nowhere near the same class as my husband. You regret what you did when you were drunk, he had no reason save pure spite to behave as he did. He was raised as a privileged only child, got whatever he wanted, his parents never struck him, they gave him the moon if he asked for it. But something in him was . . .twisted. He enjoyed watching people in pain, it gave him a rush or something."

She shivered slightly, then continued after a moment. " He loved humiliating people in the courtroom, witnesses, other attorneys, it was his bread and butter. They nicknamed him Sidewinder, because he was sneaky and venomous. And he loved to humiliate me too, told his partners that I was nervous and anti-social when I didn't come with him to dinners and banquets. The truth was I didn't dare show my face until I'd healed from his latest beating, or I had to make sure Lexy was all right, and not hyperventilating in a corner somewhere. I lived a lie until it nearly consumed me. It wasn't till Lexy started demonstrating her magic that I felt I had to get away, before he found out and then he'd never let her go."

"Well, he's dead now and you don't have to worry about him anymore. I'm sure you know Sev would sooner cut off his hand than ever hurt you or Lexy like that." He was gazing directly into her eyes. "You have nothing to fear from me either. I'm not the wicked bounder I was when Sev was growing up. I've realized that I was wrong and I'll never treat another child the way I did him. When Harry lived with me for three months, I never used a belt on him, and I spanked him only three times. But now I'm content to leave the discipline to Severus and you, the most I would do is put them in time-out if they acted up with me. My word of honor on it."

She met his eyes steadily, unflinching. "I'm going to hold you to that promise, Tobias Snape. And know this, if you break it, I won't hesitate to haul your ass into court and press charges. Lexy has enough demons to deal with without adding a new one." There was a fierce light in her eyes as she said this, like that of a mother wolf protecting her pups to the death.

Dad nodded, acknowledging it wordlessly. He was smart enough not to challenge a mother protecting her child. "I'll keep my promise. A snape always keeps his word. I'm done with being a disciplinarian, that's your job now. All I want is to be a grandfather, if you'll permit me, that is."

Slowly, she nodded. "By telling me this, you've proven to me that you can be trusted with my daughter and I already know that Sev trusts you with Harry. Both the kids love you, and I would never deprive them of your company. I think you have a great deal to teach them, for you learn more from mistakes sometimes than you do from success." Then she smiled at him. "Besides, with my father all the way across an ocean, I'm going to need someone to go to for advice and to complain about my husband when he gets on my nerves."

"My door is always open, Alaina." Dad smiled back at her. "Don't be a stranger. Eileen and I always wanted a daughter, you know. But she couldn't have any more children after Sev, too many health issues. You're marrying a good man, Alaina, a better man than I am. Still, if he gives you any trouble, tell me and I'll straighten him out in two seconds."

I decided to make an appearance then, and walked into the kitchen. "Excuse me? Were you talking about me, Dad?"

He turned around. "Yes. I was just telling Alaina that if you ever gave her any grief, I'd give you what for, Severus. So be warned and behave yourself."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll tell you the same thing as I told Moony. It'll never happen. Any quarrels we have will be mended the same day or the next morning."

"You're sure about that?" Alaina asked, arching an eyebrow at me.

"Why? Would you like an argument to go on for three days?"

"No, of course not. I'd like for us not to argue at all, but that's unrealistic. Very well. We'll try it your way, Snape. I was never one to hold grudges anyhow."

I came around to her side of the table and kissed her. "I'm guilty of holding one or two grudges, I'm afraid. But with you, I can forgive and forget, since I can't imagine you doing anything to get me really riled up."

"Sure about that, are you?" she teased, her eyes sparkling with good humor.

"Absolutely," I murmured, and kissed again.

Dad rose to his feet. "If you two are going to play the blissful engaged couple, I'm leaving. See you tomorrow, Severus, Alaina."

We nodded, then went back to kissing and snuggling each other, though soon enough that turned to something more heated and we both thanked our lucky stars the children were still in school.

* * * * * *

 

The next day I went with my father to the tailor, to make sure my tuxedo had been fitted properly. I would wear my dress robe whites for the wizard ceremony, but the tux for the church, and he had also purchased a new suit, so he needed to make sure it was altered to fit him.

We opted to drive there, since it was a Muggle establishment. On the way there, Dad asked, half jokingly, "You aren't getting cold feet, are you, Sev?"

I shook my head, amused. "No. I've been down this road before, remember?"

"Not really, since we weren't on speaking terms when you married Lily. You've no doubts, no last minute concerns?"

"No, Dad. Alaina knows everything there is to know about me and I think I know just as much about her. If anything, I'm impatient for tomorrow to come so I can make her my wife."

"I'm glad to hear that, son. You deserve to be happy and I think Alaina is the one to do it. She's got spunk and sass and is just what you need, Master Healer."

"And she's not intimidated by you either, Dad."

"No. Thank God. I don't think I could take a meek milksop for a daughter-in-law. Treat her right, Severus. Don't do what I did, and quarrel over every little thing. Sometimes I don't know how your mother put up with me."

"She had the patience of a saint. And she loved you."

"Aye, she did that," he said softly, slipping back for an instant to the broad Yorkshire dialect of his childhood. "She loved me when I was damn near unlovable and she never stopped. It's too bad she won't be here tomorrow to see you get married, Sev. She would have loved to see you in your wedding tux."

Yes, she would have, I thought sadly. Mum had always loved special occasions. Then I remembered something. "She'll be watching from some cloud in heaven. I don't think she'd miss it."

Dad laughed softly. "You're right , Severus. I don't think God Himself could prevent her from seeing her only son get married. Even if it is for the second time. I'll listen for bells."

"Huh?"

"Haven't you ever watched It's A Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart? Every time a bell rings an angel gets her wings."

"She ought to have three pairs then, for putting up with you, Dad."

"Too right. I ought to nominate her for sainthood. She could be the patron saint of patience and putting up with pain-in-the arse husbands. Not to mention mouthy sons."

I winced, for when I'd been a teenager, I had a quick tongue and I'd answered her back plenty of times. Though I'd always apologized soon afterwards, for back then, my mother was my only ally against Tobias. "True. I was a smart-mouthed brat, but she always forgave me for it. Eventually. Once she finished giving me lists of chores to do."

Dad's mouth quirked into a reminiscent grin. "Yeah, she was famous for her lists. She was always leaving me notes everywhere, the first few years of our marriage, at least. Before it became a waste of time. Once when we were first married, we had a stupid fight over something and when I woke up the next morning, there was a list a foot long next to my pillow. That's how I knew when she was really steamed at me, by how long the list of chores and errands was."

I laughed, recalling my own misspent youth. "She did that to me too, made me clean half the house once and the backyard for having an attitude with her. But it worked, I watched my mouth after that. She could make me feel guilty with a look."

"Yes, Eileen could shred me with her eyes, and did, many times." Dad admitted ruefully. "But I always deserved it. She was better than I deserved, and I will never find another woman like her. She was one of a kind."

"Yes. I miss her still."

"So do I. Always." He said softly, and quickly passed a hand across his eyes.

I pretended not to see, to spare his pride, though once I'd have been astonished to see the stern Sergeant Snape shed a tear over anyone, even his wife. But I had since learned to see my father in a different light, and so I wasn't surprised that he got teary-eyed over my mother. I still cried over Lily occasionally.

He recovered quickly though, and reached over and patted me lightly on the shoulder. "She'd be proud of you, Sev. Like I am. You made the right choice, with your career and your personal life. You're a better husband and father than I am, Sev. Don't change."

This was only the second time that I could recall my father ever saying he was proud of me, and it brought a lump to my throat. For an instant, I couldn't say anything. At last, I managed to say, "I won't. And . . .thank you, Dad."

"For what? For finally acknowledging that I'm proud of you? I should've said it years ago, Severus, the way your mother wanted."

"Better late than never," I said, and I meant it. Then I pulled into the parking lot of the tailor's, and we went inside together to finish the last minute alterations on our wedding finery. My mother would have been proud of us for finally mending our relationship back to something normal at last.

* * * * * *

 

 

I waited anxiously at the altar for my bride to appear, trying to quiet the butterflies in my stomach to no avail. It was ridiculous, I had no earthly reason to be nervous, Alaina was not about to change her mind and jilt me at the altar. But still, like any prospective bridegroom, I was having an attack of the jitters. And it didn't matter that I'd gone through this before, either. The anticipation was making my palms sweat.

All of our friends and family had gathered in the church who wished to attend the Mass, and now the organist was playing the traditional wedding march. The doors opened and in came Jane, partnered by Remus. Sirius was already next to me at the altar. They were followed by Lexy, who was strewing a basket of rose petals all over the aisle, accompanied by Harry, who carried the wedding rings on a pillow. At least the rings for this ceremony. The wizarding ceremony had a different set of rings and a different ring bearer.

Both children were smiling and waving, delighted to be the focus of attention.

Until Alaina appeared in the doorway on Bill's arm.

My breath caught in my throat.

They say that every woman is a beautiful bride on their wedding day. But for me there was none as beautiful as Alaina. My blackbird had her hair piled high on her head, with only a single cascade of ringlets to fall down her left shoulder. She wore a glittering tiara atop them, with a veil of pure silk embroidered with tiny roses and birds.

She was wearing a flowing ivory gown, not the traditional wedding gown, but one that flattered her curves and showed her to her best advantage. I couldn't help running my eyes over her appreciatively, and noticing that every single man in the room was doing the same, including my best friend.

"Hey!" I hissed, elbowing Sirius in the ribs. "Quit looking at my wife that way, Black."

"What way?" Sirius as ked, feigning innocence. "She's not your wife yet till you've said I do, Sev old boy. So till then I'm free to admire her, you lucky devil."

"So long as that's all you do."

Sirius flashed me a hurt look. "I'd never poach on a friend's territory. Besides, Lindy and I are an item now, and she doesn't like it when I stray from her. So I'm behaving myself and ignoring all the other women here."

"About time." I chuckled, then lost whatever else I was about to say as I drank in the sight of my bride coming towards me, a radiant smile on her face. Oh, Alaina! How I love you!

Then she was before me, and I was taking her hand from her father, who had tears in his eyes. He kissed her on the cheek and wished her good luck and then he shook my hand and wished me the same.

Once he had stepped back, we mounted the steps to the altar and stood before the priest, Father Henry.

The rest of the ceremony passed in a kind of blur for me, except for the part when we spoke our vows to each other. "Do you, Severus Tobias Snape, take this woman, Alaina Elizabeth Montague to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, through good times and bad, till death do you part?"

"I do," I answered in a ringing affirmative, and felt my heart quicken with joy.

Father Henry turned to Alaina. "Do you, Alaina Elizabeth Montague, take this man, Severus Tobias Snape, to be your lawfully wedded husband?" He repeated the litany of circumstances.

"I do." Alaina affirmed, giving me a smile of such pure devotion that I damn near cried.

Harry brought the rings up and we placed them on each other's finger, promising to love each other forever.

"Then, by the power vested in me by the Holy Catholic Church in Rome, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride, Sev." he winked at me.

"Thank you, Father," I said, then I pulled Alaina to me and kissed her as if there were no tomorrow.

Everyone was cheering and applauding. I wanted the kiss to last forever, she was so sweet and intoxicating, better than the finest honey wine or blueberry cordial I'd ever sipped, but at last I drew away, flushed and grinning.

"Now that's what I call a kiss!" Remus hooted. "You ought to take notes, Sirius!"

"What for? Where d'you think he learned it from?"

"Dream on, Black. You've never kissed any woman the way I just kissed my wife, and you know it." I smiled down at my new bride. "I love you, blackbird."

"I love you too, my bright sorcerer." Then she took my arm and together we walked back down the aisle, amid showers of rose petals and confetti.

There was a white limousine at the curb, waiting to take us back to Alaina's house for some refreshments and pictures before we all Apparated to Hogwarts for the second ceremony.

An hour later, I Apparated my new bride to the lawn in front of the venerable castle, where Albus stood, resplendent in his deep purple and silver dress robes, acting as Chief Warlock for this ceremony.

Alaina and I were wearing robes for this ceremony, mine were my fancy Master Healer whites, and Alaina's were brand new, gold shot through with iridescent green thread and a small blackbird on the left breast.

We approached Albus solemnly, yet I found myself fighting back a grin even so. I could tell from the way Alaina was biting her lip that she was having similar problems. As for Albus, he was in his element, playing matchmaker for young lovers, and his blue eyes were twinkling like enchanted moon crystals.

"Severus and Alaina, is it your wish that you be joined today in marriage?"

"It is," we answered together.

"Have you pledged to remain faithful to each other, in mind and body, for as long as you both shall live?"

"We have."

"Will you love and cherish one another, despite all differences and circumstances for as long as you both shall live?"

"We will."

"Have you rings and ribbons to plight your troth, one unto another?"

"We do."

"Bring them hither, if you would."

I made a clicking noise with my tongue.

Inky came walking across the lawn, pacing sedately, amid gasps and whispers. Only Alaina and I and the children were unsurprised. In his jaws he carried a satin pillow with two silver love knots upon it.

I wouldn't have been able to permit him to carry the rings in the church for fear of starting a riot, but here was another matter, and my panther son was able to participate in my special day as I'd wished.

Right behind him came Lexy and Harry, each carrying a green satin ribbon in their hands.

Together, panther and children approached us, majestic and serene, youth, grace, and power.

When Inky drew nigh us, he sat down and tucked his tail about his feet, presenting the pillow to Albus, who quickly stepped forward and removed it from his mouth.

"Thank you, Inky." My mentor said and scratched him on the head.

Inky purred in approval.

Then Harry and Lexy came up, and Albus took the ribbons from them and thanked them as well.

"You're welcome," said Lexy. "But Uncle Al, what're the ribbons for?"

"Watch and see, child," chuckled the old wizard, then he stepped back in front of us.

"Hold out your hands, please."

We did so, and he slid the rings on them.

"With these rings as a sign of your eternal love and fidelity, I bind you." He took out his wand and tapped it lightly against our hands, and a blue light covered us for a moment.

Then it faded and Albus took the two ribbons and bound them about our wrists, palm to palm.

"With these ribbons, I join you body and soul, one to the other."

Then he moved to the side and tugged sharply on my opposite arm, until we were almost spreadeagled before him.

The ribbons held, however.

"By the power of Merlin and the leave of the Council, I now pronounced you bonded. What love will not relinquish can never be destroyed. What love has joined, no wizard may tear asunder. Congratulations! You may kiss your husband, Alaina."

"With pleasure, Albus!" she cried, and for the second time that day her lips were on mine and I drowned in the honey sweetness of desire.

"Hooray! Mum and Dad are married!" shrieked our children.

Inky roared, adding his own brand of approval.

Then the air was filled with colored lights and rainbow ribbons and gossamyrs soared in the air above us in loops and spirals.

Albus waved his wand and the ribbons about our wrists vanished and we were free to greet our friends and family, married in the sight of God and man and wizard.

Lexy caught my hands and whirled with me about the meadow. "You're my dad now forever! Yay!"

"Forever and ever, kitten!" I assured her, picking her up and hugging her.

Alaina was doing the same with Harry next to me.

Then Sirius and Remus were slapping me on the back and hugging Alaina. Sirius, the rogue, managed to steal a kiss from her, of course. "For luck, Sev," he defended when I mock-punched him.

"That's what he says to all the new husbands, Sev," snorted Regulus, who had managed to make it over for the bonding after all. ‘Behave, big brother!"

"Look who's talking! I saw you eyeing that pretty blond number over there, Reg."

"I look but I don't touch. Least not unless the lady asks me to," said Regulus smugly. Then he congratulated us.

"Glad you could make it," I said.

"You kidding? I wouldn't of missed this for the world. You two make a great couple and besides this is the first time anybody's managed to get Siri in dress robes since he was six and Aunt Mabel spelled them on him." Regulus snickered.

"Aw, shut up, Reg!" ordered his brother.

Regulus laughed harder, ignoring his brother's scowl and threats to hex his mouth shut.

When I turned around, I saw my dad standing there, smiling and hugging Alaina. "You make a beautiful bride, Mrs. Snape. May you give my son the love he deserves. Congratulations, my girl."

"Thanks, Dad," she said, and hugged him back.

Then it was my turn. "Severus, may you be the husband to Alaina that I always should've been to your mum. I love you, son."

Then he hugged me so hard I gasped.

"I love you too, Dad," I said, my voice gone hoarse. There were tears in my eyes when I drew away.

And in his as well.

I turned away to wipe them with a handkerchief (something I almost always carried on me) and suddenly I saw two soft hazy figures there at the edge of the meadow.

They smiled and waved at me.

"Mum?" I whispered. "Lily?"

They were barely a wisp of ether, misty and transparent, but it was unmistakably my mother and Lily.

They blew me a kiss before disappearing, and just before they were gone, I swear I heard them say, "Be happy, Severus. We love you forever."

Then they were gone and I rubbed my eyes, wondering if I had imagined it.

But when I walked over to the spot where they had been I found a single red rose, my mother's favorite flower, and a pure white lily.

I knelt and picked them up.

Then I walked back to where Alaina waited and handed them to her. "A gift," I said.

Then I took her hand and together we walked across the lawn, with Harry on one side of us, and Lexy on the other, and Inky before us, one big happy family at last.

Chapter End Notes:
So how did you like it?

There's one last chapter!

Next: Severus and Alaina get a new addition to their family.